[1.12.x] Chatterer v.0.9.99 - Keep talking ! [20 Mar 2020]

Athlonic

@KingNeberkenezer (and anyone else interested): I wanted a more "kerbal" experience, so I reversed and edited a bunch of the clips in that NASA chatterset to make them fit in with the out-of-box Chatterer sounds.  You can get them here.

Edited by Fwiffo

21 hours ago, LameLefty said:

ASIDE: I've never used CKAN because of far too many comments just like that. Screw it; I play the game. Every few days I scan through the Mod Releases forum to see if anything I use has been updated. If so, I update it - manually. I have 24 mods installed at the moment and it STILL easier to just do it this way than worry about what CKAN will or won't let me update, and then trying to track down why some buggy mod which CKAN thinks is up to date is crashing my game. 

Sorry, didn't knew CKAN is that unpopular. It is just an easy and convenient way for me to keep things up to date without having to manually mess things. Actually I want to play the game without having to study and manually take care of mods. But don't mind, won't bother people again with it.

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎05 at 8:30 AM, Fwiffo said:

@KingNeberkenezer (and anyone else interested): I wanted a more "kerbal" experience, so I reversed and edited a bunch of the clips in that NASA chatterset to make them fit in with the out-of-box Chatterer sounds.  You can get them here.

You need to post that on Spacedock, bruh.  :)

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎05 at 9:34 PM, LameLefty said:

ASIDE: I've never used CKAN because of far too many comments just like that. Screw it; I play the game. Every few days I scan through the Mod Releases forum to see if anything I use has been updated. If so, I update it - manually. I have 24 mods installed at the moment and it STILL easier to just do it this way than worry about what CKAN will or won't let me update, and then trying to track down why some buggy mod which CKAN thinks is up to date is crashing my game. 

There are other reasons to drop CKAN (such as the interplay between CKAN caretakers and other mod authors with respect to whose responsibility it is to support errors with someone's mod when the only problem is that CKAN didn't install it correctly) but with viable 64-bit in Windows, I can assure you that modded installs will get heavier and heavier.  In KSP v1.0.5 in 64-bit for Linux, I was easily running more than 230 mods.  On v1.1.2, by my estimate I'm up above 200 and climbing.  I can assure you that managing all of those mods is difficult, even with CKAN, and I'm attempting to see if I can avoid using it entirely for other principles.

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎05 at 9:32 PM, VenomousRequiem said:

You miss so much if you only use CKAN.

Oh I agree.  Ultimately, I think I'm stuck always using CKAN at least as a way to discover new mods (I think about 50 of the mods I have right now I originally discovered through CKAN, and an additional 20 through those 50) even if I do manage to part myself from it and go manual.  At this point I'm thinking I'll just end up with a few pages of browser bookmarks.

2 hours ago, MisterFister said:

I would care to verify with @Athlonic specifically that this mod is confirmed to work with KSP v1.1.2, please.

So far so good. I think it is safe to tell the world that Chatterer is good to go with 1.1.2 ^^

On 24/4/2016 at 7:16 PM, Sterbehilfe said:

I've ported my previous patch to allow unmanned / SAS capable vehicles to chatter aswell (with matching robotic soundset) to the current version. Tested and working under Win10 x64

http://atomicstryker.net/files/ChattererMachinesPatch.zip

If you are concerned about sourcecode, this is a pull request on github too. Imma steal yo excrements

Hey, I find out I never replied to you about this, so soooorrrry !  Oo

I still need to learn how that Github thingy works.

Will have a look at your feature, but as many users find SSTV & some beeps "annoying" already, I guess I will make this optional and off by default (at first) if you don't mind :wink: 

Also now that 64bits is running stable, we can finally go crazy with sounds sets and such ^^

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2016 at 5:30 AM, Fwiffo said:

capcom_04.ogg is weird - half of it sounds reversed, but the second half clearly says "press to MECO" forwards.  Capcom_25b.ogg is not reversed at all.  Also, some capcom files are in the capsule folder.  

edit - thanks for these!  I like the variety, just wanted to point out those two.  I've been playing with it for a while and kept hearing the occasional non-kerbalese.  My immersion! rekt!

Edited by fourfa

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, String Witch said:

Is it possible to get the AAE background sounds to play in unmanned vessels?

Nope.

I think this wouldn't make sense, in unmanned vessels there should be no one there to hear these sounds. Isn't it ?  ^^

2 hours ago, Athlonic said:

Nope.

I think this wouldn't make sense, in unmanned vessels there should be no one there to hear these sounds. Isn't it ?  ^^

Ah well. These ships can still be laden with a lot of potentially noisy equipment, and I can't say I appreciate the idea of the player only hearing what characters hear, but I guess that's just me.

• 3 weeks later...

Your mod has RT2 integration.

As I realized, it play beeps while craft HAS connection with command center.

What about some setting|sound, that plays when craft has NO connection? Like scanning for signal

Something like https://yadi.sk/d/Sd1fmkuatjQLz.  Sound is from freesound.org (or wav-library.net or similar), sonar.

Or I missed this options?

Edited by Jenyaza

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2016 at 4:22 PM, Tekener said:

Sorry, didn't knew CKAN is that unpopular. It is just an easy and convenient way for me to keep things up to date without having to manually mess things. Actually I want to play the game without having to study and manually take care of mods. But don't mind, won't bother people again with it.

I didn't know there was so much hate against CKAN either. I know of a couple very popular MOD authors that are vocal against CKAN but I didn't realize CKAN was becoming hated by users as well. It's a shame really as I have found A LOT of mods I never would have thru CKAN. I don't have time to browse all the forums and mod forums for updates everytime I play and discover new mods. CKAN put's all that in one place, easy to update, discover new mods and links to the forum pages for mods especially since not everyone is using KSP official forums too. I wish more or all the mod developers worked better with CKAN to fix problems when they arise. A LOT do and I don't mean to lump everyone in the same boat, but there are enough that despise CKAN. Really who has the time to check scattered places for updates to their favorite mods, manually place folders in the RIGHT folder locations, tweak config files etc for hundreds of mods installed everytime you just want to play the game. 

Edited by Lazy8

34 minutes ago, Lazy8 said:

Really who has the time to check scattered places for updates to their favorite mods, manually place folders in the RIGHT folder locations, tweak config files etc for hundreds of mods installed everytime you just want to play the game.

I keep a list of links to the forum threads for the mods I use, and if they get updated, it usually shows up in my "followed content" list.

I personally prefer to manually install mods (sort of, I use JSGME to actually install and remove them).  I like to have an idea of what the mod is adding to my game, what it's changing, etc. at a low level.  I also tweak certain mods to be more to my taste, or remove parts of them that I dislike or possibly cause problems.  It's usually not too big a hassle, as most mods are rather self-contained.  As for "everytime you want to play the game", I generally don't worry about it too much.  If a mod is working and I enjoy it, I don't have to worry about updating to the latest version right away, unless it adds something I really like.  I might go through and check for updates once a week or so.  It's just a person preference.

I must admit, though, being able to find out about a lot more mods is a good thing.  I usually browse through the mod section once in a while and find out about mods in the "List of mods working with the newest version" threads after each release.

The CKAN annoyance comes from threads getting cluttered with multiple "make this work with CKAN" requests, especially when they are directed at mod creators that are not responsible for their mods being on CKAN for whatever reason.

2 hours ago, razark said:

I personally prefer to manually install mods (sort of, I use JSGME to actually install and remove them).  I like to have an idea of what the mod is adding to my game, what it's changing, etc. at a low level.  I also tweak certain mods to be more to my taste, or remove parts of them that I dislike or possibly cause problems.  It's usually not too big a hassle, as most mods are rather self-contained.  As for "everytime you want to play the game", I generally don't worry about it too much.  If a mod is working and I enjoy it, I don't have to worry about updating to the latest version right away, unless it adds something I really like.  I might go through and check for updates once a week or so.  It's just a person preference.

I too use JSGME to install and remove mods to KSP.  I've used JSGME a lot so I know how to work with it to get what I want.

The CKAN annoyance comes from threads getting cluttered with multiple "make this work with CKAN" requests, especially when they are directed at mod creators that are not responsible for their mods being on CKAN for whatever reason.

The problem with CKAN is that they are trying to recreate the Debian GNU/Linux packaging system apt without having the time-tested policies of the Debian Policy Manual (which lays out requirements for the file system directories, file names, package version numbers and number format, alternatives, file substitution, source and install package components, package dependencies (including pre-depends, conflicts, and breaks), preconfiguring package software, and many other things) and without CKAN being the central authority to insist that the policies have to be followed.  When you have that environment that Debian built up over many many years and make central policy, it all mostly works very seamlessly when policy is followed and errors are rare.  And even when there are packaging errors the strong tested standards makes them easier to find and fix.

Only Squad is in such a position to impose such a good working standard.  They have some standards, but should have extended and tightened up the way mod packages are done a while back.  Now that the mod community is established, they'd be very reluctant to do such a policy shift as it would likely be highly negative for a long time.

CKAN, both via its operators and its supporters, have gotten very pushy in effectively and often explicitly just expecting mod developers to take on the extra burden of both configuring CKAN for their mods and supporting fixing its faults when things go wrong.  Even within its restricted purview, CKAN should have expected to do this work itself and should have bent over backwards to make sure it didn't piiz off mod developers.  Well, CKAN didn't.  It sowed the wind and now it's reaping the whirlwind.

Edited by Jacke

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using Chatterer for a few months now... love it. Adds to the game quite nicely. So that's a thank you to the developer.

Now, is it just me?, or does anyone else occasionally hear this.....

CapCom calls out to my female Kerbal in her capsule - sounds like "How's rehab?"
She of course replies, with that laugh.

I thought I was going bonkers, but then a friend present in the room heard the same. Personally I think it's outstanding. What humor these Kerbonauts have.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey @Athlonic, feel free to add my NASA chatterer pack to your mod.  I was going to submit a CKAN request for it, but realized it would be cleaner to just package it up right with your mod (even if it's not turned on by default).

Also any word on integrating the enhancements I mostly-coded and sent you way back when involving scaling the volume as zoom level is adjusted?  (Would love to see that put into the mainline mod so I can stop having to recompile with my changes when new releases come out).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.