[1.12.x] Chatterer v.0.9.99 - Keep talking ! [20 Mar 2020]

Athlonic

I'm posting solely to draw attention to this post since I feel it has been ignored, and I am also having crashes on scene changes (Flight to whatever) where the crash log is ONLY listing Chatterer, and indeed in the normal flow of the log the last thing to show up is Chatterer:

On 6/28/2019 at 12:43 AM, Babalas said:

Weird crash on scene change. Any clues. Looks like a unhappy combo between scatterer and chatterer.

Reveal hidden contents

Unhandled Exception: System.NullReferenceException: 
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.GameObject:get_transform ()
  at scatterer.AtmosphereProjector.Finalize () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
Stacktrace:

at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Object.FindObjectsOfType (System.Type) <0x00062>
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Object.FindObjectsOfType (System.Type) <0x00062>
  at Chatterer.chatterer.destroy_all_beep_players () <0x0003c>
  at Chatterer.chatterer.load_shared_settings (ConfigNode) <0x0007f>
  at Chatterer.chatterer.load_plugin_settings () <0x00589>
  at Chatterer.chatterer.Awake () <0x01059>

In my instances I do not have any reference to Scatterer being an issue (though I do have it installed). I've been using Chatterer since at least 2013-14 so I'm very sad that I've had to pull it out of my normal install.

I'm on KSP v 1.7.3, running 109 mods or so (95% installed using CKAN), and kept getting these crashes on scene change from flight to where ever until I narrowed it down to Chatterer, and then pulled it temporarily. Crashes stopped. Now ever since I once in a while try to put it back in, and the crashes start again. Every time the crash log lists Chatterer and nothing else and is very similar to the one above except no mention of Scatterer.

I would post/link one, but this issue started more than a month ago and I've pulled Chatterer from my install that long ago as well (crashes stopped), and when I saw someone had already brought up a similar issue I just waited for them to get a substantial response, and that never happened.

Ultimately, I'm hoping to get some attention drawn to this potential (though I think evident) issue, and hopefully inspire anyone else with the same issue to come forward as well.

Thanks.

Hey @longbaugh01,

Although I haven't had any problems with Chatterer in my 144 mod install, that doesn't mean there couldn't be one. If there is, helping the mod authors find it could potentially help others. If you are serious about trying to get this fixed, then I'd like to suggest you reinstall Chatterer, wait for the crash, and post your logs to this and the Scatterer forums so that the mod authors have something to work with other than one report that contains a snippet with an NRE. Neither you nor Babalas posted your logs, and it seems unreasonable to expect a mod author, who generously shares their work with the community for free and the occasional donated cup of coffee, should have to try to figure out what may have gone wrong in a 100+ mod install with a 10-line error message from someone else's game. Help them help you. :)

Yep,

This Chatterer/Scatterer issue wasn't unnoticed, it is just that I wasn't able to reproduce it here so unable to trace and investigate this further.

Here is a quick/dirty recompile devBuild for KSP v1.7.3 :

https://github.com/Athlonic/Chatterer/releases/tag/v0.9.97_devBuild

Feel free to test this one if you have any issue and please report back ;)

Hope this helps.

PS: @eightiesboi thanks again for the cup of coffee :D

On 9/15/2019 at 4:33 AM, Athlonic said:

Here is a quick/dirty recompile devBuild for KSP v1.7.3 :

https://github.com/Athlonic/Chatterer/releases/tag/v0.9.97_devBuild

Feel free to test this one if you have any issue and please report back ;)

Hope this helps.

So far so good, with no Chatterer-related crashes/issues, so I thank you very much for providing this recompile. I'll continue to keep an eye on it, but I'm hopeful it'll no longer be an issue.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, therealcrow999 said:

@AthlonicChatterer is defiantly not working in new update, I guess it is expected with Unity update. I have Chatterer installed with Chatterer Extended, and Chatterer doesn't even show up in game, not even stock toolbar. 

Works fine for me. Installed on a clean 1.8 install via CKAN. I don't use chatterer extended.

Been flying airplanes all night with Jeb chattering away.

1 hour ago, Cruesoe said:

Works fine for me. Installed on a clean 1.8 install via CKAN. I don't use chatterer extended.

Been flying airplanes all night with Jeb chattering away.

Thanks for feedback. I will toy around with some things to see if I can get it working, since you said it works for you.

16 minutes ago, therealcrow999 said:

Thanks for feedback. I will toy around with some things to see if I can get it working, since you said it works for you.

Did the test, for some reason Chatterer will work fine without Chatterer Extended. Once I put Chatterer Extended in I get no Chatterer sounds or Icon. I don't understand why, Chatterer Extended is only addition sound files.

I am going to remove Chatterer Extended for right now.

Wait what 0.9.96 works on KSP 1.8 ?

I didn't even try :D

So far I went from 1600+ compile errors down to 4 for my KSP 1.8 devbuild, but these last 4 errors (which seems to be related to some changes in C#4 and classes constructors) are giving me a headache ...  :(

Also I don't know what is weirdest, the fact that 0.9.96 works with 1.8 or the fact that it didn't work with Chatterer Extended, which is as you said just some more samples ...

1 minute ago, Athlonic said:

So far I went from 1600+ compile errors down to 4 for my KSP 1.8 devbuild, but these last 4 errors (which seems to be related to some changes in C#4 and classes constructors) are giving me a headache ...  :(

Also I don't know what is weirdest, the fact that 0.9.96 works with 1.8 or the fact that it didn't work with Chatterer Extended, which is as you said just some more samples ...

you probably know this - but they (Devs) split several DLL's

Spoiler

References: UnityEngine.DLL is now split across several DLLs. You should at least add UnityEngine.DLL and UnityEngine.CoreModule.DLL to your project references. There will be other references required depending on what the mod needs.

add UnityEngine.IMGUIModule.DLL - for any IMGUI mods.

add UnityEngine.InputLegacyModule.DLL - if you are references Input.

Texture2D.LoadImage - moved to ImageConversion.LoadImage - add UnityEngine.ImageConversionModule.DLL reference.

add UnityEngine.AudioModule.DLL for any audio mods.

If your automating builds using csc directly, nostdlib:, nosdkpath and direct refs to mscorlib, System.Core and System are recommended.

8 hours ago, Athlonic said:

Yeah it is strange too. Maybe it will correct itself when Squad rolls out a hotfix for some issues in 1.8, who knows.

I found this thread, I don't know if you seen it yet:

2 hours ago, jrolson said:

Couldn't get 0.9.96 to work with my 1.8

I use the 0.9.97_devBuild with 1.8 and some additional sound files. No problems so far.

Edit: I shouldn't have commented. Now I start KSP and Chatterer crashes. D'oh! As Athlonic commented, it shouldn't have worked in the first place, anyway, because Unity moved AudioClip to a different DLL. The log agrees (I think):

Spoiler

[EXC 21:01:29.996] MethodAccessException: Method `UnityEngine.AudioClip..ctor()' is inaccessible from method `Chatterer.chatterer.se
t_beep_clip(Chatterer.BeepSource)'
        Chatterer.chatterer.set_beep_clip (Chatterer.BeepSource beepsource) (at <b2bbe791a7164a5dabfa673f6c43f457>:0)
        Chatterer.chatterer.load_shared_settings (ConfigNode node) (at <b2bbe791a7164a5dabfa673f6c43f457>:0)
        Chatterer.chatterer.load_plugin_settings () (at <b2bbe791a7164a5dabfa673f6c43f457>:0)
        Chatterer.chatterer.Awake () (at <b2bbe791a7164a5dabfa673f6c43f457>:0)
        UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
        AddonLoader:StartAddon(LoadedAssembly, Type, KSPAddon, Startup)
        AddonLoader:StartAddons(Startup)
        AddonLoader:OnLevelLoaded(GameScenes)
        AddonLoader:OnSceneLoaded(Scene, LoadSceneMode)
        UnityEngine.SceneManagement.SceneManager:Internal_SceneLoaded(Scene, LoadSceneMode)

Quite confusing. I *did* see and hear it working with 1.8 before. Maybe I was using just the default config and that magically works but breaks when adding additional sets?

Well, time to wait. :)

Edited by HansAcker

8 hours ago, HansAcker said:

I use the 0.9.97_devBuild with 1.8 and some additional sound files. No problems so far.

Edit: I shouldn't have commented. Now I start KSP and Chatterer crashes. D'oh! As Athlonic commented, it shouldn't have worked in the first place, anyway, because Unity moved AudioClip to a different DLL. The log agrees (I think):

Reveal hidden contents

[EXC 21:01:29.996] MethodAccessException: Method `UnityEngine.AudioClip..ctor()' is inaccessible from method `Chatterer.chatterer.se
t_beep_clip(Chatterer.BeepSource)'
        Chatterer.chatterer.set_beep_clip (Chatterer.BeepSource beepsource) (at <b2bbe791a7164a5dabfa673f6c43f457>:0)
        Chatterer.chatterer.load_shared_settings (ConfigNode node) (at <b2bbe791a7164a5dabfa673f6c43f457>:0)
        Chatterer.chatterer.load_plugin_settings () (at <b2bbe791a7164a5dabfa673f6c43f457>:0)
        Chatterer.chatterer.Awake () (at <b2bbe791a7164a5dabfa673f6c43f457>:0)
        UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
        AddonLoader:StartAddon(LoadedAssembly, Type, KSPAddon, Startup)
        AddonLoader:StartAddons(Startup)
        AddonLoader:OnLevelLoaded(GameScenes)
        AddonLoader:OnSceneLoaded(Scene, LoadSceneMode)
        UnityEngine.SceneManagement.SceneManager:Internal_SceneLoaded(Scene, LoadSceneMode)

Quite confusing. I *did* see and hear it working with 1.8 before. Maybe I was using just the default config and that magically works but breaks when adding additional sets?

Well, time to wait. :)

Well with dev version 0.9.97 I was able to install Chatterer Extended and load the individual sound files like the mod ask, but then console kicks some hard errors. Something with Unity and GUI exceeding my limit of sound loaded. It is easy to replicate, if you use Chatterer Extended and follow the load instructions.

Well at least I can use dev version 0.9.97 with no other sound files, at this point in time. I had limit use with 0.9.96, the mod would work for a while, but if I like quick load a save, Chatterer would be gone. I am sure @Athlonic will get it sorted out, just seems like a pain with the change in Unity, not only with this mod, but with most.

***Edit: quick load cause issues on dev version 0.9.97, so it is best to wait for true update to roll-out.

Edited by therealcrow999

Well to add to the Chatterer Extended thing, I can't seem to replicate it myself now. It seems like this errors come and go, maybe it happens when Chatterer tries to run those extra sound files and I have to run the game a bit. Sorry I couldn't help more. here is my log file from my last session with dev version 0.9.97 and Chatterer Extended, I had console up and no issues, even after I had loaded the sound file directories of Chatterer Extended. I did ran game a bit to catch something, but maybe I didn't run it enough.

Output Log

Edited by therealcrow999

Ok guys,

For the brave out there who want to test and report feedback on a potential Chatterer KSP 1.8 ready build :

• Fixed some 1600+ error (due to .dll split & Net 4.x target)
  • Fix for : new AudioClip(); not accepting 0 argument / compile error
  • Recompiled for KSP 1.8

Hope it works, because honestly, I didn't really understand what I did here :D

Edited by Athlonic

11 hours ago, Athlonic said:

Ok guys,

For the brave out there who want to test and report feedback on a potential Chatterer KSP 1.8 ready build :

Been using it for 1.5 hours now, seems to work fine! Thanks.

17 hours ago, Athlonic said:

Ok guys,

It is working for me. Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback guys, so I think it's time to unleash them updates on the wild :

Changelog :

v0.9.98 [23 Oct 2019]
- Fixed some 1600+ error (due to .dll split & Net 4.x target)
- Fix for : new AudioClip(); not accepting 0 argument / compile error
- Recompiled for KSP 1.8.2686

[Warning : this version will not work on KSP version 1.7.x and older]

v0.9.97 [15 Sep 2019]
- Recompiled for KSP v1.7.3
- fixes a possible crash when using Scatterer and Chatterer together

v0.9.98 is only for KSP 1.8

v0.9.97 is meant to be used with KSP 1.5.x to 1.7.x, because I know many of you are still on these versions waiting for all your mods to catch up with KSP 1.8.

Have a nice day all ;)

Edited by Athlonic

14 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

@Athlonic Thank you for continuing to support this mod! The game feels so empty without it.

I agree wholeheartedly. The game lacks a certain ambiance without this mod. The fact that it is adjustable is even better. I play a game called "Banished" and the constant mooing, clucking, and baaing of the livestock becomes annoying after a fashion. Too much of a good thing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.