[1.12.x] Chatterer v.0.9.99 - Keep talking ! [20 Mar 2020]

Athlonic

I'd like to ask for a feature in Chatterer, please: a public function that an external plugin could call to trigger a conversation (basically, a way for another mod to trigger an "insta-chatter". I could use that capability in RasterPropMonitor to make a PTT (Push-To-Talk) button function in IVA.

Guys,

I have been quite busy with the setup of an Airshow here the last weekend, almost all my free-time went to bed time ^^

Happy to hear Chatterer has no issue so far with KSP 1.0.4

@ MOARdV, an API for Chatterer sounds good indeed, I will see if I can make this happen.

Also, I won't be able to code/test/play for some more days/weeks so don't hesitate to report any issues if any ;)

Thanks.

I'd like to ask for a feature in Chatterer, please: a public function that an external plugin could call to trigger a conversation (basically, a way for another mod to trigger an "insta-chatter". I could use that capability in RasterPropMonitor to make a PTT (Push-To-Talk) button function in IVA.

I wouldn't mind that for my docking sounds to trigger an exchange with capcom after hard dock too...

One tiny issue. With Chatterer being set to 1.0.2, CKAN sees it as an old version and won't let me install it. It's a problem for many mods. Is this an easy fix?

I have the same problem, I like to manage all of my mods through the CKAN if I can help it. Is there a way of forcing CKAN to install it even though it's meant to be for an older version of KSP?

I'm guessing the differences between 1.02 and 1.04 are small enough that it wouldn't really cause problems.

PTNLemay:

You can lie to CKAN about your KSP version.

This isn't ideal, but it works, and it's relatively easy. Simply edit the readme.txt file in your KSP directory, and change it to say Version 1.0.2. Then open the CKAN and install all your favourite mods. After that I'd suggest closing the CKAN, changing the file back to Version 1.0.4, opening the CKAN, and applying any updates you see. That means you'll get the 1.0.4 versions where they exist, and the 1.0.2 builds otherwise.

copypaste from https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/3beh00/why_are_there_so_few_ckan_mods_for_104/

If you don't want to go that route, I'll be submitting a PR to CKAN in the next few hours updating chatterer to 1.0.4

Also, would it be possible to hook up science transfer with trigger of SSTV noises? Or I can imagine like

(without the button sounds, of course), that would be wonderful :-) Edited by Wolfox

- Antenna Range support : this would require an API, last time I checked there wasn't any. I will check again.

- SSTV on science transmission : this is on my "todo" list ;)

Good to hear that, fingers crossed :)

Great mod BTW!

Hey there, any chance for getting Antenna Range support (for beeps if connected) like Remotetech2? Thanks for answer!

hi there users on this thread I was playing around with chatterer and remote tech and noticed that it dose integrate and I saw the above users request and was nt sure if it is the same as mine

if it is I apologies for the time waste

but I would like to suggest that when in remote tech you are out of range then if the chatterer plugin could stop functioning as currently I see it still activates even though the mic is red and I have no connection to ksc

yours in service

the hawk from za

@Hawk-za

Pilot in command will still tchitchat with onboardcrew/alone when offline, but KSC will never answer nor start an exchange, also beeps/SSTV will stop as well. ;)

wow :0.0: ive been using this plugin since it came out and I never actually realized they DO have a conversation

now that you've mentioned it I cant stop noticing it ...its brilliant SHOT awesome work you doing out there :cool:

thanks

yours in admiration

the hawk from za

Changelog:

v0.9.6 [13 Jul 2015]

- Recompiled for KSP v1.0.4

- Code optimizations more GameEvents/less onUpdate loop checks

- Chatter gender is checked on exchange init rather than on vessel change

- Fixed 2 exceptions which could happen in some situations

- Hide GUI is now a global setting (no more per vessel based)

- Added SSTV when science has been transmitted to KSC

- Added "SSTV on science" toggle setting (under beep settings / on by default)

- Reduced SSTV default volume from 25 to 15% to better match with other sounds

- Fixed applauncherbutton textures handling(Now green actually means transmit and blue receive, instead of initial chatter/answer)

- Made all audio stop when switching vessel and going to/coming from EVA (finally)

Had some free time finally ;)

Hi, Athlonic! Chatterer is the first mod I installed, and I wouldn't consider playing KSP without it, even in an 'all-stock' game.

Fully realizing you're busy, I have a feature request: chatter in the Tracking Station, such that when you focus on a vessel, you hear its chatter. The tracking station is the defacto mission control center (since the Mission Control building is not, as one might suspect, where you control your missions, but instead where you get/manage contracts. Which makes. perfect. sense. :P), and 'communicating' with the missions/flights from where you manage them would make sense, and add just that extra little bit of 'realism'.

This is already a great mod, and if you don't/can't/won't add this, I won't be heartbroken. It would just make something that's already really cool a tiny bit more so. Thanks for considering!

Edited by wreckreation

I have a feature request: chatter in the Tracking Station, such that when you focus on a vessel, you hear its chatter. The tracking station is the defacto mission control center (since the Mission Control building is not, as one might suspect, where you control your missions, but instead where you get/manage contracts. Which makes. perfect. sense. :P), and 'communicating' with the missions/flights from where you manage them would make sense, and add just that extra little bit of 'realism'.

I like this idea a lot! Really do!

As a side thought though... Maybe Mission Control could use it too. Every time you click a contract, you could initiate (or continue) a two way chat, as long as things are selected. A Kerbal "yes" or "no" played if you accept or reject a contract, that sort of thing. simple stuff, and limited beepy bits. Obviously, if you're clicking away at stuff, it'd make sense to just keep the conversation going, but no sudden cuts or kerbals talking over kerbals, etc.

As for the Astronaut center... Maybe chatter only? No beeps at all, etc, kinda like the squawk boxes NASA used to have for families and such in the early days. No two way thing, just hearing how the mission is going, and maybe at a reduced volume (3/4 or half what the normal setting is)... you know, cause you can't interfere with the music! :sticktongue:

If there is a way to determine it in game... If you can detect if a death has occurred... No chatter at all in the Astronaut complex... NASA would shut off the squawk boxes in an emergency, and I would think the KSC would too... Time it out for at least 1-3 in game days, maybe even longer, like a week... Is the background music and the background noises separate assets... In such a scenario, I could imagine the sounds of Kerbals getting on with their daily activities, but maybe with the music turned off. Kinda morbid, but you know... If we're going for that feel of realism... ;.;

Of course, if you made this, and he installed it, Danny2462 would have a perpetually silent Astronaut Center... :rolleyes:

Edited by richfiles

Hello! Thanks for this awesome mod!

When I installed the last version (copying the \chatterer folder and merging), Windows told me some files didn't exist / could not be found. It happened with the Sounds\chatter\*\capsuleF folders, and now those are empty. I think everything is working properly, and those folders seems to be empty in the .zip file already, so the problem is just a strange message that left me worried.

Also, what can I do to keep the old settings (chatter and beeps frequency and volume) when updating? Can this be done?

About the suggestions: I really like the idea of chatter at the tracking station. At the other buildings: not so much...

Background chatter at the tracking station makes sense indeed, I will see what I can come up with ;)

@DarkMoon, all capsuleF folders (but Valentina's one) are voluntary empty and are just here to avoid some warning msg in KSP logfile (dirty workaround until I code this properly ^^ )

As for keeping your settings over updates, just keep your ..\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Chatterer\Plugins\PluginData\Chatterer\plugin.cfg file and you should be fine ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I seem to have encountered a nasty bug.

Whenever I load a save and try to access the tracking station, my game crashes.

There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with my save, and I do not have any other mods installed.

Is anyone else experiencing similar problems?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.