[1.12.x] Chatterer v.0.9.99 - Keep talking ! [20 Mar 2020]

Athlonic

Thank you @Athlonic for making this great mod! Now when 1.1 is out I can finally enjoy Chatterer!

Got a simple question (probably you guys out there can answer it). I noticed a few interesting, um, sound packs in the Chatterer directory. Like the STS and the Apollo ones. Is there any way to make them, um, always play by default? Im really not a fan of those funny Kerbal voices. They're cute though - I admit it. ;D

I think you are mistaken about where the sounds come from. What chatterer plays are "real" astronaut / cosmonaut sound recordings from the STS and Apollo missions (hence the folder names). They are obviously heavily modified (i think reversed too) to make them sound "kerbal" but they are all being used.

I am using some sci-fi tunes that I have put in the chatterer/sounds/SSTV folder and just renamed these soundtracks to sstv_01.ogg up to sstv_10.ogg, thereby replacing the original somewhat painful noises. 

This all works fine and dandy so I wondered if is possible to use more than 10 files in this folder, or are there pre-defined "slots"? Would take forever to check out  if, say 20, soundtracks works since they play randomly at long intervals.

33 minutes ago, Sterbehilfe said:

I think you are mistaken about where the sounds come from. What chatterer plays are "real" astronaut / cosmonaut sound recordings from the STS and Apollo missions (hence the folder names). They are obviously heavily modified (i think reversed too) to make them sound "kerbal" but they are all being used.

Oooh I got it. Nice, haha. Now... Gotta make a pack of real life radio chat. Thanks!

41 minutes ago, atomontage said:

Oooh I got it. Nice, haha. Now... Gotta make a pack of real life radio chat. Thanks!

Here's a my Real NASA chatter pack I created for the old version of the MOD. It should work. I'll test it after i install the new version of chatterer. http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=04172785628806897020

5 hours ago, atomontage said:

Thanks, I'll have a look at it!

Instructions: put my NASA folder in the correct chatterer folder "chatterer/sounds/chatter". then load the game and put a manned ship on the launch pad. Go to chatterer settings and click chatter, then load he new set by typing the folder name NASA and clicking load.

7 hours ago, KingNeberkenezer said:

Instructions: put my NASA folder in the correct chatterer folder "chatterer/sounds/chatter". then load the game and put a manned ship on the launch pad. Go to chatterer settings and click chatter, then load he new set by typing the folder name NASA and clicking load.

Yeah it works. Thanks mate, its awesome!

On 25/4/2016 at 0:16 PM, SkyKaptn said:

I am using some sci-fi tunes that I have put in the chatterer/sounds/SSTV folder and just renamed these soundtracks to sstv_01.ogg up to sstv_10.ogg, thereby replacing the original somewhat painful noises. 

This all works fine and dandy so I wondered if is possible to use more than 10 files in this folder, or are there pre-defined "slots"? Would take forever to check out  if, say 20, soundtracks works since they play randomly at long intervals.

Yes, you can put as many audio files as you want, the mod will build up a collection on launch with files it finds in every folders accordingly.

On 4/25/2016 at 5:18 AM, KingNeberkenezer said:

Here's a my Real NASA chatter pack I created for the old version of the MOD. It should work. I'll test it after i install the new version of chatterer. http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=04172785628806897020

Very cool. Where'd you find those recordings? I've actually been looking for mission control radio audio for a while now and can't find any.

2 hours ago, blorgon said:

Yeah, that's what I was able to find too. But so far I haven't been able to find any actual mission control team radio stuff, only radio comms between mission control and the shuttle. I'm looking specifically for the rundown, and stuff like that.

This is what we called "diggin' the crates" back in the day(crates of records). You just have to keep digging/looking 'till you find what you need. I spent a good few hours on my set.

2 hours ago, blorgon said:

Yeah, that's what I was able to find too. But so far I haven't been able to find any actual mission control team radio stuff, only radio comms between mission control and the shuttle. I'm looking specifically for the rundown, and stuff like that.

There are several communications loops in the FCR, dedicated to certain areas.  The only radio is from CAPCOM to the flight.  I've rarely seen loops beyond CAPCOM and PAO in the wild.

44 minutes ago, Fwiffo said:

@KingNeberkenezer mind if I make a CKAN file for your pack?  I've got a sample in my personal repository.  See https://github.com/rkagerer/KSP-Fwiffo-Repository/tree/master/CKAN-meta-fwiffo/Chatterer-Nasa

ps. Any idea what license those NASA audio clips were released under?

The NASA audio clips, like all NASA media, aren't licenced.  You'll have to read this page for their media usage guide.

https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/guidelines/index.html

I think including them with or for Chatterer, if done respectfully, shouldn't be a problem.

1 hour ago, Fwiffo said:

@KingNeberkenezer mind if I make a CKAN file for your pack?  I've got a sample in my personal repository.  See https://github.com/rkagerer/KSP-Fwiffo-Repository/tree/master/CKAN-meta-fwiffo/Chatterer-Nasa

ps. Any idea what license those NASA audio clips were released under?

I don't mind, go right ahead. As for licensing I've never checked. If you could credit me somewhere for putting the compilation together that would be kind(if so please credit my Twitch username BeeMeister). I rarely stream; and I am, and will continue to be, a not-for-profit streamer.

On 26.4.2016 at 1:04 PM, Athlonic said:

Yes, you can put as many audio files as you want, the mod will build up a collection on launch with files it finds in every folders accordingly.

Cooooool!

*looks at HL2's Combine radio and random police dispatcher records*....

1 minute ago, Tekener said:

Confirmed, all fine - just CKAN won't let you install it at the moment due to the missing 1.1.2 version marker.

You're going around a bunch of threads talking about CKAN? Why not just install it manually if all of these mods are giving you trouble?

Please, do yourself a favour. You miss so much if you only use CKAN.

2 minutes ago, Tekener said:

Confirmed, all fine - just CKAN won't let you install it at the moment due to the missing 1.1.2 version marker.

ASIDE: I've never used CKAN because of far too many comments just like that. Screw it; I play the game. Every few days I scan through the Mod Releases forum to see if anything I use has been updated. If so, I update it - manually. I have 24 mods installed at the moment and it STILL easier to just do it this way than worry about what CKAN will or won't let me update, and then trying to track down why some buggy mod which CKAN thinks is up to date is crashing my game. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.