[1.12.x] Chatterer v.0.9.99 - Keep talking ! [20 Mar 2020]

Athlonic

[quote name='jrolson']I installed this mod on a clean install of KSP and it made the shuttle engines sound different. Then I deleted the mod and engine sounds were back to normal. So it's clearly this mod changing the engines sound somehow...

I think this problem only came from the recent update of chatterer as I don't remember the previous version having it...[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I can't reproduce this issue here :(
Also I have no clue about what could cause this.

[quote name='CorBlimey']would you consider a chatterer that keeps the chat in native tongue?

(love the unintelligble kerbal voice, but would also enjoy hearing the original voice for a change)[/QUOTE]

Once KSPv1.1 is out (and if 64bits support turn to work fine) you will be able to add any soundset you wish.
I will try to do this as simple as possible, like copy/pasta folders which will be autodetected by the mod and voilà (with still a possibility to turn them on/off ingame)

Right now, you can already do this but it is kinda complex and you might reach the infamous 32bits memory limits quite fast.

;)

I think Chatterer loses changes to its settings (at least volume levels) when you Revert a flight. To reproduce:

1) Put a ship on launchpad
2) Change Chatterer volumes
3) Launch
4) Revert flight to Launch Edited by Fwiffo

• 2 weeks later...

I totally love Chatterer, would find it hard to live without it, even..

Which is why it pains me to have to write this.

In Windows, Chatterer runs fine, even with 40-50 other mods installed.. but when I try to run KSP in Linux, the game freezes/crashes before loading is even partly complete.

My laptop specs: Asus F3Jr, Intel Core2 Duo - 1.73GHz, 4GB RAM (due to hardware limitations, system can only access 3GB), ATI Mobility Radeon X2300 - 128 MB. Linux Mint17.2. KSP 1.0.5. Chatterer 0.9.7

On a vanilla install of KSP Linux, the game when loaded takes up around 2.1 - 2.2 GB of RAM. If Chatterer is then installed (no other mods), memory usage keeps on rapidly climbing until around 3.5GB is in use, at which point enough of the game has been swapped out to hard disk that the game freezes. At this point the loading progress bar has only reached 5-10%. This happens with both the 32 and 64 bit versions of the game, and was also happening in KSP 1.0.4 with Chatterer 0.9.6, though at that time, I hadn't pinned the problem down to Chatterer. Memory usage has been confirmed with both the Linux system monitor and Sarbian's Graphic Memory Monitor mod.

It seems Chatterer just keeps allocating memory until none is left. So far, nothing appears in the logs, at all. In fact, the log file hasn't even recorded the last several attempts at running the game.

Edited by JAFO
Added more details

• 4 weeks later...

So, when ever i launch up my KSP and play, Chatterer doesn't seem to work (SSTV & Radio Chatterer doesn't work, but other stuff like the Airlock SFX and Ect. works) even though I installed it correctly. Any help?

Edit: Fixed it, I wasn't supposed to put the Plugins in the Plugins folder :P silly me.

Edited by Kerbl101

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Whovian41110 said:

Could you make Chatterer zip it while in re-entry? There is a sheath of plasma around my ship and there is no way in **** a signal is getting through.

I like this observation -- I'm sure (hope) there's an "in reentry" condition to check for -- or at the very least the set of conditions that produce the effects would also silence the radio communications. The rest of chatterer's effects should continue, though.

9 hours ago, Whovian41110 said:

Could you make Chatterer zip it while in re-entry? There is a sheath of plasma around my ship and there is no way in **** a signal is getting through.

Well, as it happens, about 6 months ago, Chinese researchers came up with a new antenna design concept that looks as if it will eliminate comms blackouts during re-entry.. I just pretend that Kerbal scientists have already figured this solution out..

Edited by JAFO

10 hours ago, Whovian41110 said:

1 hour ago, JAFO said:

Well, as it happens, about 6 months ago, Chinese researchers came up with a new antenna design concept that looks as if it will eliminate comms blackouts during re-entry.. I just pretend that Kerbal scientists have already figured this solution out..

Ok this is it, Kerbal had this technology from the start !

Issue closed.

Nah just kidding ^^ I like realism and definitely put this re-entry "shut up!" on my to do list.

Thanks Whovian for the head up ;)

4 hours ago, Athlonic said:

Ok this is it, Kerbal had this technology from the start !

Issue closed.

Nah just kidding ^^ I like realism and definitely put this re-entry "shut up!" on my to do list.

Thanks Whovian for the head up ;)

You're welcome.  I noticed when returning from the Mun.

• 3 weeks later...

Best feature is ADD CUSTOM CHATTERSET. I made my own chatter set from actual NASA chatter.

REAL NASA CHATTER DOWNLOAD

Actual NASA chatter. 33 clips, all .ogg files and sound amazingly perfect in orbit.

Download Link -->  http://www.filedropper.com/nasaupdated

See Chatterer release notes for instructions to install custom chat sets: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/83290-105-chatterer-v097-keep-talking-11-nov-2015/

Credit: All audio is actual NASA chatter from Archive.org

Edited by KingNeberkenezer
added DL link

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2016 at 10:37 AM, KingNeberkenezer said:

Best feature is ADD CUSTOM CHATTERSET. I made my own chatter set from actual NASA chatter.

REAL NASA CHATTER DOWNLOAD

Actual NASA chatter. 33 clips, all .ogg files and sound amazingly perfect in orbit.

Download Link -->  http://www.filedropper.com/nasaupdated

See Chatterer release notes for instructions to install custom chat sets: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/83290-105-chatterer-v097-keep-talking-11-nov-2015/

Credit: All audio is actual NASA chatter from Archive.org

I don't see any instructions to how to add custom chat sets. :-/

Chatterer is definitely a must-have mod. However, as a radio enthusiast (amateur radio op here, KI6UAP), I wonder if we could have a more modern digital mode sound for the science transmission, instead of SSTV? Something like PSK, or even regular telephone modem sounds would be much more "technically accurate".

2 hours ago, websterhamster said:

Chatterer is definitely a must-have mod. However, as a radio enthusiast (amateur radio op here, KI6UAP), I wonder if we could have a more modern digital mode sound for the science transmission, instead of SSTV? Something like PSK, or even regular telephone modem sounds would be much more "technically accurate".

Hi,

Loving the idea, what about bounding this to KSC Tracking station level :

• Level 1 : SSTV
  • Level 2 : PSK
  • Level 3 : Modem

Put this on my to do list, thanks for the idea ;)

On 2/18/2016 at 11:39 AM, theonegalen said:

I don't see any instructions to how to add custom chat sets. :-/

I think someone answered your question. But I'm here to say that I've updated the sound files after working on them some more. They were missing the female chatter so I added those plus some more goodies.

NEW DOWNLOAD FOR NEW NASA CHATTER UPDATED "NASA V 1.3"

http://www.filedropper.com/nasav13

I don't know if I'm bad at designing Rovers, but mine is making chatter go nuts.

As the rover drive it will switch from landed to flying low condition and this seems to be a chatter condition for creating noise and it becomes a bit too extreme if your driving for any length of time..

On 1/3/2016 at 0:48 PM, KingNeberkenezer said:

UPDATED VERSION OF MY CUSTOM CHATTER SET "NASA chatter V 1.3"

http://www.filedropper.com/nasav13

Here's a video of the chatter working. http://www.twitch.tv/beemeister/v/51591962

NASA CHATTER V 1.3 Changes: Female voices added, com voices organized and added to correct folder.

Awesome stuff here !

1 hour ago, Miravlix said:

I don't know if I'm bad at designing Rovers, but mine is making chatter go nuts.

As the rover drive it will switch from landed to flying low condition and this seems to be a chatter condition for creating noise and it becomes a bit too extreme if your driving for any length of time..

Oh, nice one, will fix this in next version, thanks for the report ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.