Plane landing with NEAR/FAR?

SirJodelstein

First time NEAR-user here, feeling like a greenhorn again after countless hours of KSP. Need help landing planes with NEAR, especially on terrain. Whats the trick there? I had no trouble landing planes with the stock aerodynamics, but now the higher speeds seem to make landing almost impossible. Plane touches ground with speeds around 100m/s and flight angle <5°, bounces and crashes shortly afterwards (if the initial contact doesn't already disintegrate it). I can't even land the stock Aeris 3 - what am i doing wrong? How do you people build/fly planes for landings?

Well, 100 m/s is roughly 223 mph, or 360 km/h. That is much faster than the speeds at which most planes land. Furthermore, it is landing on uneven terrain, which only makes things worse.

Since you are only landing at a 5 degree angle of attack (flight angle), you may want to try to slow down an pitch up more. If your plane can't do that, try either moving the center of lift slightly forwards, or give the plane more control authority (maybe some canards at the front of the plane may help). Remember, also try to keep your final descent rate under 5 m/s, that should lessen the shock of landing.

I hope some of that helps.

Edited by Spica

air brakes; or zig zag to bleed off speed till you are between 60~80m/s

without forgetting: cut the throttle off before you actually do and glide to your landing zone.

But airbrakes are really mandatory (Firespitter, B9 as I heard and nil2work's retro future planes)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.