[1.4.1] Kerbal Construction Time 1.4.0.69 (2018-03-24) - Unrapid Planned Assembly

magico13

30 minutes ago, SirToxic said:

Can OP please update this so that it supports 1.2.2?

First welcome to the forum, second there is a rule on this forum about bothering mod's author for update : it's not allowed, don't do it. (the forum lost a few post recently and I think the forum's rules where one of them).

Third : there is a beta version of this mod (working good I think, haven't tried yet), you can learn more about it here :

Hello, Nice work :D

I'm here to ask you a question, how can I changes the settings in order to get something balanced for the stock game? I basically want to reduce the construction time and research time and divide it by 4 (in order to get kerbins day instead of getting Earth day construction time) . 

1 hour ago, Donchielo said:

I'm here to ask you a question, how can I changes the settings in order to get something balanced for the stock game? I basically want to reduce the construction time and research time and divide it by 4 (in order to get kerbins day instead of getting Earth day construction time) . 

There is a wiki page in Github, which explains how you can change KCT formulas.

3 hours ago, Donchielo said:

The Wiki on github is definitely the best resource, but if you want a simple change like that you can just change the Overall Modifier from 1 to 0.25. That should divide all the different rates by 4.

Do keep in mind that KCT is already balanced against stock days and not Earth days. There are some remnants of when Earth days were the only option for displaying time in KSP (Kerbin time was added in 0.23.5 if I recall correctly), but all the actual balancing is for Kerbin time.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, TheEpicSquared said:

Hey there, sorry if this has been asked before, but does this count one day as one Kerbin day (6 hours) or one Earth day (24 hours)? Thanks :) 

One post above yours:

On 1/24/2017 at 9:05 AM, magico13 said:

Do keep in mind that KCT is already balanced against stock days and not Earth days. There are some remnants of when Earth days were the only option for displaying time in KSP (Kerbin time was added in 0.23.5 if I recall correctly), but all the actual balancing is for Kerbin time.

I'm new to KCT. I think I understand how the settings work from reading the wiki, but I'm interested to know how it plays out. With the default settings, I can see at the start it's a handful of days for a basic rocket, but once you get to larger ships how high does the build time climb on average? How many points would you have to invest in your VAB to keep the build time in the handful of days range? If I wanted to keep my build times roughly under a week on average, is that a reasonable goal or would I be better off raising my multiplier? 

With my settings (posted here), and build time of 2.0 BP/s:

• 5t 49k = 38 days
  • 100t 82k = 48 days
  • 155t 74k = 43 days
  • 600t 213k = 72 days
  • 1593t 723k = 127 days
  • 2727t 1046k = 158 days

The current formula for BP is "([E]^(1/2))*2000*[O]" and is documented at the wiki.  Variables: E=total effective cost, O=overall multiplier

If the inventory system was working, I'd see lower values (but I'd probably bump the value of "O" from 8.0 to 12.0).  As you can see, build time scales by the sqrt(cost).

sqrt(1046) = 32.3

sqrt(213) = 14.6

Which is why the ship that costs 1046k takes about twice as long as the one that costs 213k.

The other big problem currently of course, is that the part storage functionality hasn't been fixed. Every build is from scratch, when it's supposed to be that if you've built a part before, it takes less time to build. The more you've built it before, the quicker it is to build again. Even more so if you've recovered that part and have it in storage. Until this is fixed, it looks like build times are going to continue to take forever, and all the strategy around building programmes that the fully functioning mod allows, is no longer possible.

i solved that problem by gradually increasing the B in the formula
another thing i do is to increase B to 100 for ships i use alot (like my tourists pod)
but recently i found this method has a problem
KCT recalculates construction time every time a ships get finished
usually its ok as the tourist pod get finished fast and first (~1 day), and as long as i remember to set B back right after i buy the pod i dont have side effects
if i dont reset B i run the risk getting all ship getting built as fast as the pod
or if i do reset but its not the first, it gets delayed as it get a new number of built points using the regular B

3 minutes ago, danielboro said:

i solved that problem by gradually increasing the B in the formula
another thing i do is to increase B to 100 for ships i use alot (like my tourists pod)
but recently i found this method has a problem
KCT recalculates construction time every time a ships get finished
usually its ok as the tourist pod get finished fast and first (~1 day), and as long as i remember to set B back right after i buy the pod i dont have side effects
if i dont reset B i run the risk getting all ship getting built as fast as the pod
or if i do reset but its not the first, it gets delayed as it get a new number of built points using the regular B

TBH doing that manually doesn't sound like fun to me.

On 11.2.2017 at 11:41 PM, Snoman314 said:

The other big problem currently of course, is that the part storage functionality hasn't been fixed. Every build is from scratch, when it's supposed to be that if you've built a part before, it takes less time to build. The more you've built it before, the quicker it is to build again. Even more so if you've recovered that part and have it in storage. Until this is fixed, it looks like build times are going to continue to take forever, and all the strategy around building programmes that the fully functioning mod allows, is no longer possible.

Is that so? I was under the impression that only the parts inventory was scrapped/disabled. Is the parts counter (time discount controller) also disabled?

Also, on a completely mod unrelated note, how to fulfil contracts if build times are high and contracts vanish after a few days?

9 minutes ago, Manimal said:

Also, on a completely mod unrelated note, how to fulfil contracts if build times are high and contracts vanish after a few days?

If you accept the contract usually there is a long time to expiry after that, At least that used to be the case (I haven't played much KSP lately). How short of a deadline do you see?

2 hours ago, Rodhern said:

If you accept the contract usually there is a long time to expiry after that, At least that used to be the case (I haven't played much KSP lately). How short of a deadline do you see?

That does work but the the limit of contracts I'm allowed to take at the same time means that many contracts expire and vanish.

1 hour ago, Manimal said:

That does work but the the limit of contracts I'm allowed to take at the same time means that many contracts expire and vanish.

Yes, but you also have more contracts to choose from between your flights.

Well, I for one still enjoy using it. The lack of the inventory system is arguably a small issue for me as most of my rockets in the early game are one build - one shots.  Later on, when I'm using the same sets of heavy lift boosters the payloads are so different that longer build times are understandable.  This just addd to the challenge of mission   planning IMO - no more waiting until you have only 10 days of life support supplies to build a resupply craft.

Also, @magico13 I have yet to come across any issues with the current dev version in my heavily modded save.

Edited by smotheredrun
sellping