[1.4.1] Kerbal Construction Time 1.4.0.69 (2018-03-24) - Unrapid Planned Assembly

magico13

On 29/03/2017 at 10:05 PM, magico13 said:

Yes and no. Maybe. It's supposed to, but there's a fairly specific order that you have to follow for it to work correctly but I can't find the post that somebody made explaining it. If I remember correctly, it's to set your desired launch site in the editor when you build, then build it and go about your business, then when you go to roll out the vessel to the pad (maybe only when you press the launch button) you have to go back into the editor and make sure that launchpad is selected. Otherwise everything blows up. It used to work nicely without requiring you to switch the launch site in the editor but a change in Kerbal Konstructs or KSP caused it so it goes nuts if KCT tries to launch at a site that isn't the one selected by KK. That might be fixable, but I haven't looked at it in a long while.

Think I found it. it was hidden in the new Kerbin - side Thread will put it here for anyone else who wants to know

On 09/02/2017 at 4:17 AM, panarchist said:

You can, it's just really easy to crash the game if you don't do things in the right order.

1. Enter VAB/SPH (this example will use VAB)
2. Build a rocket
3. At some point before leaving VAB or clicking "Build" in KCT in VAB, choose your launch site from KK. (Make NOTE which one you choose!)
4. Click "Build" in KCT
5. After the rocket is done, before launching, click the little asterisk button to the left of the name
6. Select "Choose Launchsite" or whatever it's called
7. Choose the SAME site chosen while in VAB/SPH
8. Click "Rollout" if a rocket, and when rolled out, "Launch" (you might select the site again to be safe)

Selecting the site in KK in VAB/SPH loads it - selecting the same site in KCT is what avoids the crash.  The big problem is that with KS complete installed, KCTs site list is taller than the screen and doesn't scroll.

TLDR; it works, but has issues.

6 minutes ago, Enterprise0709 said:

Sorry if this has been answered before, but why is there no proper release for 1.2 after all this time? And how the hell do you even use the pre-release version on github anyway? All I see there is the source code.

1. Because it's a complicated mod and magico13 doesn't have a lot of free time to spend on modding. 

2. The dev-release is not on github. Instructions for getting it can be found in the dev thread (linked below)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/69310-Kerbal-Construction-Time-Dev-Thread

37 minutes ago, Enterprise0709 said:

Sorry if this has been answered before, but why is there no proper release for 1.2 after all this time? And how the hell do you even use the pre-release version on github anyway? All I see there is the source code.

A combination of not a whole lot of time to work on it and a lack of desire to work on modding a game I haven't played for more than 15 minutes at a time in months/years (0.90 was the last time I really played), plus sizeable changes required due to changes added in 1.2 that knocked out some core functionality. The dev version hasn't gotten to a point where I am comfortable with releasing it as a proper release and I currently prefer the smaller support requirements of an open beta with fewer players. I've only very recently come back to modding and have been working on a handful of different things. KCT and the part inventory are going to be my focus this coming month.

Grab the dev builds from the dev forum thread that @TheRagingIrishman linked (thanks! :)), from the build server. Those are made every time I commit to github, but note that a successful build doesn't mean it won't break your save. I've been tinkering around with the positioning of some code since the ordering of some functions (which KCT relied on happening in that order) got changed all of a sudden and broke things in 1.2 and I'm still figuring out what needs to happen where/when (edit: I mention this because that's one of the types of things that could unintentionally break things).

Edited by magico13

10 minutes ago, Enterprise0709 said:

Also, no more simulation? Because i can't seem to find the option for that anywhere (not I got it installed for 1.2.2)

No the simulation has been stripped. Magico13 and I both recommend using KRASH for all your sim needs. 

I would recommend it to be 1 by default, because that's how all KCT presets behave so far, there is no effective cost in replacing a used item with a new one (module some procedural part softening) other than the refuel cost. Short names are nice in formulae, but bad for readability. I just used [R] as a placeholder name like you did, it cannot be [R] anyway as that is already used for research upgrades. Depending on the formula, it could also be a "refurbishment cost multiplier" (100% = rebuild from scratch, 0% = reuse as-is), instead of a "reusability percentage" (0% = rebuild rom scratch, 100% = reuse as-is). In that case, the default value should be 0, of course.

Formula should include it in the dry-cost computations, as with most other variables, so that even a perfectly reusable engine can still have some cost for things like hypergolics (TEA/TEB, HTP) refill for its ignitors.

There is one thing I noticed in the code though which causes a problem. While procedural part amounts are stored by total value, non-procedural part amounts are stored by item number. I guess this code branching came from pluggin-in procedural parts in a late stage. The RF engines are non-procedural parts, so in order to make this work, I would have to make used engines pretend they are a different part than new engines or alternatively, pretend they are procedural.

One way to solve that problem, that would also reduce code at the same time, is that all items be stored by total value. This works fine if the value of a non-procedural part cannot change, and removes quite a bit of code. It also allows to use a single formula for both, to see that, lets take a closer look at a typical procedural part formula:

(([c]-[A]) + ([A]*10/max([I],1))) / ...

By the way, you probably want this to read like this:

(([c]-[A]) + ([A]*10/max([I],10))) / ...

otherwise very small inventories (less than 10 √) can have a crazy effect on effective cost.

Now that 10 is looking rather arbitrary in that formula, so let's make it a variable, .e.g. inventory variation:

(([c]-[A]) + ([A]*[IV]/max([I],[IV]))) / ...

Basically, IV defines the smallest inventory that gives you some benefit in building the part. In case of non-procedural parts, you can just set this to 0, and ... ok ok you cant, but you can set it to a vary small value, say 1e-10, and it will just reduce to [c] - [A], which will again reduce to 0 when the part is not procedural (and in an improved formula: fully reusable).

I can bring reusability in here easily with some assumption that if a part is in your inventory, it has already flown and depleted its ignitions:

(([c]-[A]) + ([A]*[IV]/max([I]*[R],[IV]))) / ...

Alternatively, I could modify [c] based on the number of remaining ignitions and reusability, which however would allow you to trade two half-used engines for one unused engine.

The other way to solve that problem is to have multiple inventories. This would go a similar way to how TweakScale is integrated, likely in a less hard-coded version. For instance, you could allow other mods to add variables that should be considered when separating inventories, instead of hardcoding the part name and TweakScale size. I'd then just track Parts like Merlin1C[ignitions=1] an Merlin1C[ignitions=0] in different inventories, with different part values going into effective cost formulae. That'd need a way to link both in some way telling KCT "you can use Merlin1C[ignitions=0] in place of a Merlin1C[ignitions=1], but at some additional cost". I need to leave now, so I'll have t leave this idea for a later post, but Ill have to think about a simple way to make this work anyway.

I can't fully respond right now, but the part inventory doesn't actually exist right now so procedural parts are ultimately treated the same as regular parts, they just go through different formulas. The part inventory is being rewritten from scratch and entire modules are stored with the parts so that one procedural part is completely different from another, though they can be considered as related for helping with the "build effect". Which modules are considered "different" is configurable by the user.

Let me be clear that the variable [R] or whatever it ends up being won't be used by anything other than this extra integration mod, so there's no reason for it to exist within the core mod. Since the integrator will come with a required preset that includes the variable then if someone wants to use it they have to choose that preset. Otherwise the default preset just won't use it and nothing will change.

Edited by magico13
Accidental send

On 3/31/2017 at 9:26 AM, magico13 said:

A combination of not a whole lot of time to work on it and a lack of desire to work on modding a game I haven't played for more than 15 minutes at a time in months/years (0.90 was the last time I really played), plus sizeable changes required due to changes added in 1.2 that knocked out some core functionality.

Speaking as someone who mostly lurks, and spends a lot more time designing ships in the VAB than actually building them - and as someone who barely has one toe in the modding scene (I program a bit - I am a process developer in my work life), let me say I really appreciate the time you *have* spent in the past, and am thankful for whenever you *can* work on this - with no expectations that you will.  We all benefit from you and others who mod, and as someone who frequently uses this particular mod - thanks!  Your work has been appreciated and has definitely made my enjoyment of KSP greater.

Also, I hope at some point, you get to actually *play* KSP again, because 1.2 is pretty good, overall.

On 1.4.2017 at 5:43 PM, magico13 said:

The part inventory is being rewritten from scratch and entire modules are stored with the parts so that one procedural part is completely different from another, though they can be considered as related for helping with the "build effect". Which modules are considered "different" is configurable by the user.

Oh, perfect. I'll see where this goes before proceding, then.

16 minutes ago, cami said:

Oh, perfect. I'll see where this goes before proceding, then.

It's slow going and I haven't worked on it for a little while since I've been focused on other things, but it's going to be the main thing I focus on in April. I hope to have a beta with KCT support in the next few weeks but it depends on how many snags I run into. The KCT dev thread will likely talk about that more once I really get into it. It's currently at the "proof of concept complete" phase and I'm adding in things that KCT will need but the inventory itself doesn't (part tracking is one, letting mods trigger inventory processing rather than only at rollout), plus it still needs a UI, configuration, and lots of testing.

3 hours ago, cami said:

@magico13 Is there any way I could help? Just let me know.

Not yet. It'll take a little while to finish partly because I'm not 100% sure how I want to handle some things. Once it's ready for testing then I'll make a post in the KCT/SR dev thread and if you want to help with testing then that would be appreciated. I started setting up a Trello last night for it that I'll make public when I've got it ready so that people can see what I plan on doing/how progress is going and comment on things.

April development live stream is going to start in about 10 minutes (at 12pm EDT) and will run for up to 3 hours depending on how I'm feeling (got a bit of a headache starting) and if anybody shows up :wink: As I've mentioned in the past, the development itself probably won't be super interesting (unless you like staring at shoddy code, in which case it will be VERY interesting :D) but you can chat with me live about stuff (KSP related or not). This month I'm going to be focusing on ScrapYard and KCT. https://www.twitch.tv/themagico13

Edit: Stream finished! Thanks for stopping by!

Edited by magico13

3 hours ago, magico13 said:

April development live stream is going to start in about 10 minutes (at 12pm EDT) and will run for up to 3 hours depending on how I'm feeling (got a bit of a headache starting) and if anybody shows up :wink: As I've mentioned in the past, the development itself probably won't be super interesting (unless you like staring at shoddy code, in which case it will be VERY interesting :D) but you can chat with me live about stuff (KSP related or not). This month I'm going to be focusing on ScrapYard and KCT. https://www.twitch.tv/themagico13

Edit: Stream finished! Thanks for stopping by!

Ach I missed it! ;.; I would have loved to come by and chat. Did your stream go well?

1 hour ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Ach I missed it! ;.; I would have loved to come by and chat. Did your stream go well?

Yeah, it was mostly just me taking about various design considerations and the history of my mods, plus showing some other stuff I have been working on. I'm gonna do another stream next month and it's all recorded.

So, still playing KSP 1.1.3 along with this mod for various reasons. However, starting today, i'm having the issue of rolling out, launching the mission, choosing the crew like usual, but when i load into the flight scene, there are no crew at all loaded in. They're back at KSC slacking off while their rocket is on the pad. This usually happens after a launch or two, and can only be fixed by reverting to a point before the mission was launched/rolled out and restarting the game.

4 minutes ago, StickyScissors said:

So, still playing KSP 1.1.3 along with this mod for various reasons. However, starting today, i'm having the issue of rolling out, launching the mission, choosing the crew like usual, but when i load into the flight scene, there are no crew at all loaded in. They're back at KSC slacking off while their rocket is on the pad. This usually happens after a launch or two, and can only be fixed by reverting to a point before the mission was launched/rolled out and restarting the game.

Sounds like something is throwing an exception during the Start method. I'd need a log to have any idea of what. If you're not sure where the log is, check about halfway down this post: 

33 minutes ago, magico13 said:

Sounds like something is throwing an exception during the Start method. I'd need a log to have any idea of what. If you're not sure where the log is, check about halfway down this post: 

Looks like it's Final Frontiers causing the issues to me. That would also explain why FF is having a major issue of it's own.

Relevant stuff from log:

Spoiler

[ERR 19:27:45.288] Error when assigning Jebediah Kerman to SSTU-SC-C-CM

[EXC 19:27:45.289] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Nereid.FinalFrontier.HallOfFameBrowser+HallOfFameSorter.<SortByStatistic>b__1 (Nereid.FinalFrontier.HallOfFameEntry left, Nereid.FinalFrontier.HallOfFameEntry right)
    System.Array.qsort[HallOfFameEntry] (Nereid.FinalFrontier.HallOfFameEntry[] array, Int32 low0, Int32 high0, System.Comparison`1 comparison)
    System.Array.Sort[HallOfFameEntry] (Nereid.FinalFrontier.HallOfFameEntry[] array, Int32 length, System.Comparison`1 comparison)
    Rethrow as InvalidOperationException: Comparison threw an exception.
    System.Array.Sort[HallOfFameEntry] (Nereid.FinalFrontier.HallOfFameEntry[] array, Int32 length, System.Comparison`1 comparison)
    System.Collections.Generic.List`1[Nereid.FinalFrontier.HallOfFameEntry].Sort (System.Comparison`1 comparison)
    Nereid.FinalFrontier.HallOfFameBrowser+HallOfFameSorter.SortByStatistic (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 list)
    Nereid.FinalFrontier.HallOfFameBrowser+HallOfFameSorter.Sort (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 list)
    Nereid.FinalFrontier.HallOfFame.Sort ()
    Nereid.FinalFrontier.HallOfFame.Refresh ()
    Nereid.FinalFrontier.EventObserver.OnKerbalStatusChange (.ProtoCrewMember kerbal, RosterStatus oldState, RosterStatus newState)
    EventData`3[ProtoCrewMember,ProtoCrewMember+RosterStatus,ProtoCrewMember+RosterStatus].Fire (.ProtoCrewMember data0, RosterStatus data1, RosterStatus data2)
    ProtoCrewMember.set_rosterStatus (RosterStatus value)
    KerbalConstructionTime.KerbalConstructionTime.Start ()

-

Spoiler

[EXC 19:27:19.834] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Nereid.FinalFrontier.HallOfFameBrowser+HallOfFameSorter.<SortByStatistic>b__1 (Nereid.FinalFrontier.HallOfFameEntry left, Nereid.FinalFrontier.HallOfFameEntry right)
    System.Array.qsort[HallOfFameEntry] (Nereid.FinalFrontier.HallOfFameEntry[] array, Int32 low0, Int32 high0, System.Comparison`1 comparison)
    System.Collections.Generic.List`1[Nereid.FinalFrontier.HallOfFameEntry].Sort (System.Comparison`1 comparison)
    Nereid.FinalFrontier.HallOfFameBrowser+HallOfFameSorter.SortByStatistic (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 list)
    Nereid.FinalFrontier.HallOfFameBrowser+HallOfFameSorter.Sort (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 list)
    Nereid.FinalFrontier.EventObserver.OnKerbalStatusChange (.ProtoCrewMember kerbal, RosterStatus oldState, RosterStatus newState)
    EventData`3[ProtoCrewMember,ProtoCrewMember+RosterStatus,ProtoCrewMember+RosterStatus].Fire (.ProtoCrewMember data0, RosterStatus data1, RosterStatus data2)
    KerbalConstructionTime.KCT_GUI.DrawShipRoster (Int32 windowID)
    UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID)
    UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)
[EXC 19:27:20.211] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)
[EXC 19:27:20.522] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 19:27:21.133] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 19:27:21.289] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 19:27:21.479] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

10 hours ago, StickyScissors said:

Looks like it's Final Frontiers causing the issues to me. That would also explain why FF is having a major issue of it's own.

That's not something I can fix on my side, at least not on my own. You could try reporting it on the Final Frontier thread, but make sure you mention that it's happening with KCT. The problem seems to stem from the fact that KCT changes kerbal states (assigned, available, etc) in a situation that FF isn't expecting, so FF doesn't have some data loaded. They either need to catch that error and handle it themselves so it doesn't propagate up, or they need to recognize the situation and handle it so the error never gets thrown in the first place.

In 1.2.2 I am getting FF throwing some log spam too. I also have KCT installed.  Happily, I don't have any slacking Kerbals yet - well, maybe Jeb, but then his last three flights have suffered from KRUD* events, so maybe he needs a break

*KRUD:

Komplete Rapid Unplanned Disassembly

I'll see if I can get this spam to show up again and post it over in FF as well

Hey everyone. 

I experimented a little with the latest dev version. 

Does anyone of you know, how I can start a simulation? Even on mode simOnly, I do not get any buttons or such. I already switched to fullscreen - just in case the buttons got placed off screen. 

With the other profiles I can add rockets to the build queue and launch them after a certain time. 

1 hour ago, New Horizons said:

Hey everyone. 

I experimented a little with the latest dev version. 

Does anyone of you know, how I can start a simulation? Even on mode simOnly, I do not get any buttons or such. I already switched to fullscreen - just in case the buttons got placed off screen. 

With the other profiles I can add rockets to the build queue and launch them after a certain time. 

Use this instead. Since this mod is more comprehensive in features the simulation functionality built into KCT has been dropped in favour of the dedicated mod version. 

Krash really is a good plugin for simulations.

Another question:

What is a "day" for KCT?
I lost some money, because of expiring contracts. And now I found, that the build times, KCT suggests, do not match to ingame time.

My stats:

- playing a 6.4 rescaled system with 24 h KSP-timer

- latest dev build of KCT

- rotation period of home world (Gael) = 15 h

--> 24 h in KCT leads to 42 h game time

Very, very odd...