[1.4.1] Kerbal Construction Time 1.4.0.69 (2018-03-24) - Unrapid Planned Assembly

magico13

I have a problem playing with this mod

I am sorry if this is already asked before or I'm just being stupid.

It seems that I can't research anything when playing with this mod. The blue research button that is usually there is not there anymore :(. Here is a pichttp://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/150x100q90/673/LQfT11.png

Notice there is no research button that is usually located on the bottom left.

I play this mod with the Stage Recovery mod.

It sounds like either: 1) the KSP_Data is corrupted or 2) your save file is corrupted.

First, create another game - default works. Check for the problem. If gone ... your savefile is corrupted.

Second, create an additional KSP installation (ex:KSP_Test). Drop SR and KCT in GameData and launch. If fixed, your install was corrupted. (copy GameData from original install to new install, rename (if desired), enjoy).

For the first suggestion: I am planning on adding something like that in a future update since I've had so many people request it. You'll be able to recover and refuel, but likely won't be able to add any parts to the vessel (so no new payloads). I haven't finalized anything on it though, so I may be able to come up with something that allows you to add parts as well. I had originally planned on making the EXACT vessel (plus fuel) be put out immediately, but I might be able to force you into the SPH/VAB to make any changes and forbid editing afterward.

An interesting "workaround" (well not really a workaround, more a gameplay extension to make it feel more fun to reuse spacecraft) that I've been meaning to try is to literally re-use the same ship. Warning: I haven't actually done this in game yet (haven't had the time) but I have given it thought, and I'm pretty sure it'll work. There's a couple minor issues, but both have workarounds.

Step 0: Have KAS installed, build a fuel truck (at minimum a fuel tank and some wheels to move around), and build a crane truck (something to pick up payloads and move them).

Step 1: Spec out SSTO and have it and the payload built as normal.

Step 2: Launch and deploy payload

Step 3: Land back at KSP, but instead of recovering the vessel simply park it off to the side of the hangar. If you need to recover science simply have your pilot hop out of the cockpit, grab the data and walk back to the astronaut center (or just hit recover once he's out of the vessel). DO NOT RECOVER THE SSTO, leave it sitting off to the side.

Step 4: Design and build a new payload that will work with your current SSTO, start building it.

Step 5: Before your new payload is complete have your fuel truck refuel your SSTO. Drive it over, and use KAS to link them and pump fuel across.

Step 6: Once payload is complete "launch" it. Not with the SSTO, just the payload on it's own, stabilize it if necessary so it doesn't fall over and blow up. It'll just sit on the runway. Move your crane truck over, pick it up, drive back to your parked SSTO and lower it into the cargo bay, securing with either docking clamps or with KAS struts.

Step 7: Wheel your SSTO back out to to the runway and take off, deploying the next payload to orbit.

Rinse and repeat from step 3

Obviously the limitations are that you have to land at KSC, or develop an actual recovery process via rovers or boats (certainly a non-trivial task). In addition there's two "issues" I foresee:

1.) Refueling your fuel truck. The workaround for this would be to simply build a rocket that's just a fuel tank. That would take about 2 seconds to build, at which point you could move your truck up to it and suck the fuel out. Alternatively you could build a Karbonite based mining facility beside the KSC and refuel like that.

2.) Getting a kerbal to man the SSTO after it has been parked (or a Kerbal to run the refueling via KAS). Obviously you don't want your pilot just sitting in the SSTO waiting for the next launch, so you've recovered him and he's happily relaxing in the astronaut lounge. No matter how many candy bars you promise him, he just won't leave there unless you "launch" a new vehicle for him to fly. The workaround for this would be to build a rocket that's just a command pod or a crew can. Super cheap, quick to build (even moreso if it's in inventory). Once it's done have Billybob Kermin hop out and walk to the SSTO. Recover the command pod/crew can for use in your next crew "deployment"

I'm intending to do a video proof of concepting this when I get time. Hopefully later this week or early this weekend...although that also depends on getting the recording software up and running on my laptop which may prove non-trivial given my limited hard drive space at current. At the very least I'll get a series of screenshots.

Speaking of funds, with the next update there will be a radical change to how funds work (as a result of integration into the Scrapyard API/developing a common base with Kerbal 4X). You no longer will receive funds for recovering vessels but only pay once for a part. Once it's in the inventory you never have to pay for it again. You'll also be able to sell parts. Oh, this also includes Fuel and other resources. So basically we (SiriusSam and I) are rewriting how Stock does recovery.

Shouldn't there also be a monetary cost to refurbish the parts for use again? (meaning beyond just build points). Surely at least some minor things needed to be replaced on an engine and not just polished with a rag and hit with some WD-40. Maybe something like 10% of the base cost of the item (excluding fuel) is required to refurbish a part.

In addition (more for long term plans), what about marking certain parts as single use only? Things like an ablative heat shield can't really just be slapped back on the bottom of a new rocket as if they weren't used before (unless the ablative 'resource' needs to be re bought, I can't exactly recall how DRE works with that, it's been a while since I've used it in my saves). Single use only items would be recovered for funds like in the old model and multi-use items would be recovered into inventory to be refurbished (with cost and build points)

Just thought I'd chip in and mention I had problems with this mod when I had Tarsier Space Tech installed as well. Removing TSP fixed this mod.

The problems included the 15 free upgrades at the start appearing, and the launch button taking me straight to the launchpad, as mentioned above.

Perhaps list TSP on the first post as incompatible?

Question. It doesn't seem like the build rate increases doesn't affect launchpad repairs. Is this correct? If so what would it take to change that? I wouldn't mind having to devote a build queue to fixing the pad as it would give me even more incentive to get upgrade points and more queues.

I'll add a note in the Known Issues that Tarsier Space Technologies appears to be incompatible (for some strange reason...). If I get a chance I'll try to take a look, but my free time has diminished to nearly nothing recently and I don't expect that to change any time soon. I am planning on trying to get a 0.25 compatibility update out as soon as 0.25 hits, but It'll just be a compatibility update. It'd be cool to integrate with the strategies system (build faster at higher costs, stuff like that) but I won't be doing that right away. Maybe not letting you build ships if the VAB/SPH are destroyed or unlock tech if R&D is destroyed. I'm hoping for a quick update without too much to change though for the initial update.

@Nori: It should be that the reconditioning rate is the sum of all of the VAB rates. So when you upgrade any of the rates, or unlock new ones, the reconditioning time should decrease. The total BP is based on mass (and Overall Multiplier) so that won't change, but the rate should be. Reconditioning takes place as a secondary rate slot since repairing the launchpad would be independent of the warehouses building ships (but higher rates = better crew and better/more crew means faster repairs).

You know, if I ever rewrote KCT I think I'd take a similar approach to the whole thing. You'd hire crew with funds or science that could build ships faster, maybe even have them earn experience for every ship built. And you could buy upgrades to your facilities to build mutliple ships or have reductions in costs. Basically, gameify it even more. Though I have no intention of rewriting KCT. I definitely don't have the time for that :P

Is it compatible with 0.25? :)

Probably not perfectly, but it may work. I've already got a 0.25 update in the works and JeffreyCor was testing it out last night. I *hopefully* will be able to fix up any issues with it tonight and will release it as soon as possible The update is pretty much just a compatibility+bug fix update so none of the new features I've been talking about will be in it quite yet (there is one new feature, the ability to start a simulation at any time (UT) for testing things out during a transfer window and stuff like that).

Probably not perfectly, but it may work. I've already got a 0.25 update in the works and JeffreyCor was testing it out last night.

I just cloned the 0.25 branch and took it for a quick ride. I haven't tested it very thouroughly, but it looks fine to me :)

...(there is one new feature, the ability to start a simulation at any time (UT) for testing things out during a transfer window and stuff like that).

Beautiful! I was just thinking I was going to ask about adding a button to start simulations at midday.

Fun mod that gives some meaning the passage of time and to using life support mods. Thanks!

Beautiful! I was just thinking I was going to ask about adding a button to start simulations at midday.

As of right now it's just raw time values, so if you don't really care about the position of everything you can just set it to "0" and it will be sunrise on the first day. I do plan on letting you enter the time as Year Day Hour and maybe Minute and Second either as the set time, or in addition to the current time (2 years, 3 days, 4 hours could either be the exact time, or, if it's currently year 4 day 17 hour 1 it could make it year 6 day 20 hour 5, if that makes sense). Not sure if that will be in the next release or if I'll just save that for a later date.

There seems to be some incompatibilities with another mod (probably action groups extended, but not positive) that are causing testing to be slow. I'm gonna see if I can figure those out before release, but things seem to be running smoothly on my end with just KSP + KCT 1.0.3 (but I haven't tested much myself).

Edit: Nonventta, I've got a feeling that with the internal changes to currencies that 0.25 brought, the old version of KCT won't work. I'll try to get the new version out ASAP, but I am at work currently.

Edited by magico13

I'm new to this mod so I may be doing things wrong, but it doesn't seem to do anything (admittedly this is before you officially support 0.25 so i'm not too concerned)

it lists build time but then builds instantly as i am used to. Have I missed a trick here.

also for when it works, presumably you can go do other things and it will notify you when its complete? any integration with kerbal alarm clock?

also no idea how the test thing works at all.... (sad face for n00b questions)

i've been messing around on a "normal" difficulty save game, and now i'm looking for more of a challange. i was getting to the stage where i had 5 missions to minmus running at the same time because i was making best use of time between nodes... a hard limit on launches would really help i think - especially to encourage combined contract missions.

but yes, i'll be patiently waiting for a 0.25 compatable version to fulfil my hardmode.

I tried the first post download on .25 with the result that, although the dialogs show up, pressing the launch button goes directly to the pad for a launch as if kct wasn't installed. It is possible that this is a conflict with another mod, however; any known issues like this?

First off, love love LOVE the mod. It's adds a great level of challenge and metric tons of depth to the game.

I was reading through this thread and found this:

Speaking of funds, with the next update there will be a radical change to how funds work (as a result of integration into the Scrapyard API/developing a common base with Kerbal 4X). You no longer will receive funds for recovering vessels but only pay once for a part. Once it's in the inventory you never have to pay for it again. You'll also be able to sell parts. Oh, this also includes Fuel and other resources. So basically we (SiriusSam and I) are rewriting how Stock does recovery.

Overall, I get concerned about the idea that I could be using the same parts over and over throughout the whole game, and the affect this may have on build styles.

I was wondering if it would be possible to keep the current method of recovery (receive funds) as an option in future releases. Frankly, I prefer the abstraction of part reuse in funds recovered instead of specific parts.

Alternatively, would it be possible to recover fractional parts? Parts have a lifetime over which they naturally wear out, after which they would be unusable.

Finally, if we're recovering individual parts for re-use, is there an expense in funds to recover the parts based on their distance from KSP? In the game now, this is incorporated into the recovery rewards by reducing the value of parts further from KSP. In the system you're describing, I'm not clear on what the penalty is for recovery of parts distant from KSC.

For context, my play-style focuses on small payloads put in orbit using small, efficient, disposable lifters. Re-usability isn't important for me because the value of what I would recover is marginal (e.g. the cost of adding parachutes to most of my stages for recovery results in a monetary loss). In this context, I would really prefer the option to keep the current method of recovery.

Thanks and keep up the great work. I can't wait until KCT is ready for 0.25!

Everyone having issues with KCT and 0.25 don't worry, I'm working on an update and things appear to be going mostly well so far. I have a bug or two to fix, and depending on time may try to get some basic support for adding alarms automatically with the new version of KAC. I'm currently at work and so can't work on it, but when I'm done today I plan on coming home and trying to finish things up.

For those of you who absolutely cannot wait (please, I urge you to wait just a little while longer) I will release the current dev version. Note that this hasn't been thoroughly tested and is not guaranteed to not TOTALLY BREAK EVERYTHING. Aka, don't blame me if it nukes your save :P It's just the .dll, you'll have to download the rest of the files from the latest release.

Not for the faint of heart

@LethalDose, the funds changes are due to switching the inventory back end to another mod called The ScrapYard that I am co-authoring with the guy who does Kerbal 4X. I MAY be able to provide a way to keep the current system, but it wouldn't be as easy as adding a config option and a couple if statements like it would be if the code was internal to KCT. How it works is that when you recover some parts, KSP gives you the funds, and Scrapyard takes the total amount (before recovery modifiers, aka MORE than what you were given) back. When you launch a ship KSP takes your money and Scrapyard gives it back. That way parts in the inventory don't effectively cost anything, but you still have penalties for recovering far from KSC. You could then sell the parts for funds (at a reduced rate that we haven't determined, I like 95% personally).

I'll defo give that .dll a go. i'm starting a new save for the purposes anyway so no fear. I'm keen to see how the mod affects my gameplay!

Don't feel pressured to finish it at the expensive of things like enjoyment or sleep on our behalf! :)

Thanks for that dev version, I haven't played with KCT before, so it's nice to be able to have a look at how it works before the proper update, while making sure there's no issues with other mods. Haven't seen any problems yet.

For those that are chosing to wait, don't worry. Things really are looking good on testing on the latest version with the bulk of problems having to do with playing in a "science" career rather than in either full career or sandbox. Having to do more testing on the recovery aspects and reusing parts now that all the science tree, simulation, and building has been sorted out. :)

If those of you currently trying out the beta would be so kind as to redownload, I've posted another update.

Mostly just fixes for tech node issues and support for Kerbal Alarm Clock version 3.0 alarms. If KAC is installed, KCT will automatically create an alarm for the next thing that's set to complete. It will also check to make sure that the times don't drift apart too much (I need to look into why they drift at all, KCT may not be updating times at a 1 to 1 ratio). You currently can't turn off that feature: welcome to betas :D

Remember, beta means possibly game breaking, so it is not suited for everyday use if you aren't willing to risk your save file. It should be fine, but bugs like to creep in in weird places sometimes.

Additonal note to beta testers: because I updated the internal version to 1.0.3 you won't be notified of an official update through the KCT update checker (because they'd be the same version). KSP-AVC will still alert you though, since that's tied to the .version file that you would have from 1.0.2.

The first beta worked well for me, I tried the new one and has many bugs. I have KAC installed and started a new career.

Bugs:

The menu for KSC keeps on in the VAB and vice versa. Toggling off KCT in the toolbar doesn't fix the problem (just hides the right menu as intended).

The building time doesn't update automatically; it does, however, update if you check/uncheck the use of old parts.

Once built I click launch and select the crew but the vessel starts empty. I did it twice with the same results.