[1.4.1] Kerbal Construction Time 1.4.0.69 (2018-03-24) - Unrapid Planned Assembly

magico13

You probably have this in mind already, time to upgrade the facilities themselves. However, I'd also love to have a way to make multiple step upgrades at once, and shorten the overall time vs doing them sequentially.

Also, I'd like some kind of limit on the number of production lines for each assembly building and tech research based on the building lvl.

I.E. When you have a beginning tech center, you can't research 20 techs at the same time.

I'm gonna try to get a basic "compatibility + things I've been working on" update out within the next few days, then I'm gonna start tackling the recent KSC changes of 0.25 and 0.90 (upgrades & repair). I definitely like the idea of tying into the upgradeable buildings, but I haven't decided to what extent. I could make it so each level of VAB has set rates (both speed and quantity, so a lvl 1 VAB has 1 rate at 1.0, a lvl 2 has 2 rates at 1.5 and 0.5, etc) or I could just set the maximums for rates based on upgrade lvl (lvl 1 = 1 rate w/ 1.0 BP/s max, lvl 2 = 2 rates w/ 2.0 BP/s max, lvl 3 = unlimited).

I do like the idea of limiting the number of techs you can research at once, but I might use the Stock limits of what you can spend at once as the total amount of tech you can have researching at once.

I'll have better ideas once I play around with 0.90 more, but am open to hearing what others think. I'll open a github issue for it: https://github.com/magico13/KCT/issues/25

The top line gives you science for building things, the bottom line is how fast you research.

This is indeed confusing. I would rather see this option merged into one or link Development to the Ksp Research Building level (meaning a fancier research facility allows more Science Development when constructing rockets)

Edited by FreeThinker

You probably have this in mind already, time to upgrade the facilities themselves. However, I'd also love to have a way to make multiple step upgrades at once, and shorten the overall time vs doing them sequentially.

Also, I'd like some kind of limit on the number of production lines for each assembly building and tech research based on the building lvl.

I.E. When you have a beginning tech center, you can't research 20 techs at the same time.

Why not actualy hire your Kerbal Scientists, Engineers and Pilots and put them to work at your Research Building (for Scientist), Assembly Line (for Engineers) and Space Control (for Pilots). Each Kerbal you hire will cost upkeep and you can use them either on field trips (in space) or at Kerbin to Build / Reseach or Control you Satelites. So instead of increasing the capacity of a building, you HIRE more Kerbal Pilots/Engineers/Scientist and put them to work. At a later stage you could transfer your hired Kerbals to a space station to assemble huge ships and develop new advanced technologies in orbit or at alien planets/moons.

The amount of Kerbals you can hire should be linked to your reputation and build/research/control experience . This will give reputation a logical and meaningfull value and your experience gradualy increase your options. Destroy your reputation and most kerbals will no longer want to work for you (or only the Stupid ones). Increase your reputation, and more skilled (and Briljant) Kerbals will want join your space program to advance their carreer.

Perhaps we can even create a competing (scripted) space program which will try to do the same. Imagin a space race to the moon. Both your space program and the competing space program get a mission to plant a flag on the moon. Now every second will really count and you don't have time to fool around.

Edited by FreeThinker

This is indeed confusing. I would rather see this option merged into one or link Development to the Ksp Research Building level (meaning a fancier research facility allows more Science Development when constructing rockets)

Those two options do very, very different things and it's likely that people don't want to earn science for building ships so they should be separate. In fact, when I completely overhaul the upgrade system (literally will not be recognizable as coming from the current one) I'm probably going to either remove that option, or throw it in as an optional perk with the other optional perks. Also, the upgradable buildings were just released, so I haven't gotten a chance to do any integration with them, but there will be substantial integrations with them (such as VAB level restricting number of lines and maximum rate).

Why not actualy hire your Kerbal Scientists, Engineers and Pilots and put them to work

This was something I considered when I implemented the upgrade system originally, but to avoid feature creep too much (Jeb knows there's a lot of feature creep in this mod...) I drew the line at dealing with Kerbals directly. KCT will never involve/rely on individual Kerbals (actual ones or "code only" ones). It's a great idea for a mod, but its beyond the scope I want to deal with. KCT is purely about the space center infrastructure, excluding the personnel. That's why I was planning (and had some basic work on) a Kerbal focused mod that dealt with Kerbals needing training and downtime between flights. There's a GitHub page for it, but 0.24 released which resulted in StageRecovery and I lost all time I could have spent on it. With the new class system and kerbal xp there's a chance I may go back to it so you can train your kerbals outside of normal flight.

KCT will never involve/rely on individual Kerbals (actual ones or "code only" ones)

Too bad, still it was a nice dream ... especialy the part where you transfer you workforce to space .. But couldn't you implement it in a simplefied abstract way, like players put stock science labs into space in the traditional way (at a space station or mun base), fill it with regular Kerbal scientist and allow it to speed up reseach at space center at Kerbin .... This would give players good reason to build a space station in orbit or off world research bases. It should be reasonly simple to implement, and won't require any individual Kerbals management or gui, only a single procedure with adds a few points to research generated at the space center ..

Edited by FreeThinker

...to avoid feature creep too much (Jeb knows there's a lot of feature creep in this mod...) I drew the line at dealing with Kerbals directly.

I agree. Just like Stage Recovery, it works better as a separate mod which integrates with KCT.

There's another mod with features I want, which I don't use because it also requires an unrelated feature I really don't want. (Admittedly, that mod author specifically intends for the mod "to be played alone" aside from his required and recommended mods. :rolleyes:)

Edited by Gryphon
caveat

i'm devastated that KCT is not 0.90-ready as it has become indispensable to my career games and i can't imagine playing any KSP of substance without it now. i would throw virtually any other mod under the bus before KCT, but despite that, i look forward to seeing what you will come up with for the new version in the coming days.

I'm gonna try to get a 0.90 dev version functioning in the next two days (I have work, and am seeing the Hobbit tonight, and have D&D tomorrow night, so we'll see how much time I really have...) so that will at least let you start playing. But a full 0.90 release that isn't just a compatibility update will have to wait until this weekend most likely, given my schedule.

Take it easy, world won't end if (gasp) people have to wait a whole nother day or two to use the mod. :)

Heh, tell that to the walls crumbling around me! I just need KCT, KJR, FAR, KIDS, and RemoteTech then this captain is ready to set sail again.

All seriousness, I can't wait to see what changes as a result of the new KSC mechanics. And with the inclusion of FinePrint into stock now, I only hope the dev team starts looking closer at this concept of time.

For a crowd of folks who use a mod designed to make you wait patiently, you sure don't do much patient waiting. XD

Unfortunately, my ability to warp time in KSP is not effective in the real world. Even if I could, I would need Kerbal Alarm Clock to kill the warp or I'd always overshoot.

Well, I think a very very basic 0.90 compatible version is available on the development forum thread now (thoroughly untested), but it definitely should not be used for normal use. Things are definitely subject to change between now and release. I don't recommend using Procedural Parts and the dev version of KCT at the same just yet (including RealChutes, procedural wings/fuels/fairings, etc).

I'm not putting a link because it should only be used by those of you who are genuinely willing to help test it. I don't want a bunch of people to install it just to get 0.90 + KCT when it has a good chance of breaking things, so you have to do some work to find it (there are links in several locations on the forums).

Are you going to add crew classes to the "Select Crew" menu just before launch?

Yes, the class and level will be listed there in the next release. I'm unfortunately busier than I had expected this week and have a fairly large change I need to make (semi save breaking, so now is the best time to do it), so its gonna be a while.

Im trying so hard to be patient, but I'm jittering like a squirrel on caffeine, 'cause this mod is sooo good. I want it to be fixed up right, but I can't play without it, insta-build stuff feels like cheating now. :D don't suppose there's any update on when the update might happen? :blush: :blush: If not that's cool. I'll just keep trying to wait over here, you know, patiently. ;.;

Im trying so hard to be patient, but I'm jittering like a squirrel on caffeine, 'cause this mod is sooo good. I want it to be fixed up right, but I can't play without it, insta-build stuff feels like cheating now. :D don't suppose there's any update on when the update might happen? :blush: :blush: If not that's cool. I'll just keep trying to wait over here, you know, patiently. ;.;

I feel kind like this too! :D

I'd like to raise the bar a little bit, though: what about putting some delay on building upgrades too?

After the plugin "as is" is back online, of course! :wink:

As I mentioned earlier, I haven't had as much time as I would have liked this past week to get things done (I will admit that I did spend a few hours one evening just playing Stock 0.90. It's very different now!). I'm on vacation now from school and work, but am going to be visiting family for the holidays. I'm hoping I can find at least a day or two to get things up to speed. Speaking of which, since I don't have to drive for the whole 7 hour trip I'm going to try to do some work in the car. But I get motion sick so there's a pretty good chance I won't be able to. I'm really hoping I can spend tomorrow on KCT and am very optimistically shooting for a Monday "compatibility" release. I say "compatibility" because I'm not adding a whole lot of 0.90 specific features, but it will have everything I was working on before 0.90.

After that's out I'm going to probably spend a little time on StageRecovery, since I often neglect that, and then come back to this to get times for upgrading and repairing buildings.

Then comes the fun of 1.2, where I'm planning on overhauling the part inventory system, the upgrade system, and the simulation system. But by the time that's released I'll be back home and will only have work, not also school (until school starts again in late January).

Super tentative, highly optimistic timetable: 1.1 release before Christmas but hopefully by this Monday, 1.1.5 release around New Year's (also depends on how easily I can do things with StageRecovery), 1.2 release by the end of January.

Enjoy the holidays, Magico! I haven't posted here before but I really enjoy this mod. I think you did an outstanding job and it has become a permanent member of my required mod list. I'm also excited to hear about your upcoming plans and can't wait to see what they bring to the whole KCT experience. Thank you for all your hard work.

Happy Holidays!

magico13, we'd be very happy to get KCT ASAP. But I don't think teasing your motion sickness is worth it.

I understand you're on vacation, seize the day!

Have a nice trip, we can wait one more day. :wink:

Edited by jlcarneiro