[1.4.1] Kerbal Construction Time 1.4.0.69 (2018-03-24) - Unrapid Planned Assembly

magico13

I'm curious, what's determines when you get upgrade points for upgrading the VAB?

(VAB, SPH, or R&D ;) ) The primary source of upgrade points is from unlocking tech nodes in the R&D facility. Each tech node you purchase gives you one upgrade point, even if you haven't spent the time to unlock the node yet. You can also buy additional nodes with funds or science (at an increasing rate) in the Upgrades window, but that's generally saved for when you really need them or have finished the tech tree.

will this be a save breaking update when it goes live? I'm wondering if I should keep playing my current save....

The next update won't be save breaking, just the current dev version is (kind of, it currently doesn't let you upgrade anything). It'll still be branded 1.1.X.0 and will be fully compatible with current 1.1 saves. The only new feature will be time requirements for repairing and upgrading buildings.

The 1.2 update will be semi, to fully, save breaking depending on what I end up getting done with and how much time I spend trying to port things over into the new system (which can take a long time. 1.1 will work with saves from 1.0, but only after a conversion that took a long while to sort out the issues with). At the current moment none of the work for 1.2 is complete, it's still in planning.

At the very least I know I will be making changes to some of the settings, meaning you'll have to reconfigure some of them if you're not using the defaults (but that will be much easier with presets), and I want to redo the upgrade system (you'll get refunded for any upgrade points you purchased, and your upgrades will be reset, but you should be able to unlock the new ones without issue). Those aren't really game breaking, they'll just need a small transition on the user's part. If I redo the inventory system as well, then the whole part inventory will likely be lost (and maybe the part tracking info as well), which could be quite a game changer, but won't technically break the save.

I'm curious, what's determines when you get upgrade points for upgrading the VAB?

#1 - You get points at the start for free

#2 - You can purchase points with either funds or science

#3 - Every time you unlock a tech node, you get 1 point

I find it reasonably easy to get to 30-40 points, but past 60 points it gets really expensive.

- - - Updated - - -

UI suggestions:

- Remove the "Status: " string from every element in the status column.

- Allow for longer vessel names like "Mercury II (Kerbin Contracts) Y001D245"

- If a vessel is ready for launch - color all of the text on that line green (especially the "Ready to Launch" and "Launch" button.

- If a vessel is rolling out / rolling back - color the text yellow

I have only been using this mod for a few weeks and it has really changed how I play the game in a much better way.

I have noticed that when using auto fill for the crew it will post non pilots in single capsules. Has this been noticed by others? Will it be changed at some point so at least one pilot is assigned to a ship? I know i can over ride it but i would really think an unknown assignment (the Administration was choosing who would fly) would add another element especially if one was using Final Frontier (accomplishment ribbons) since that would add the unknown as to which kerbal would be first in space, orbit and whatever. In the Mercury program everyone was certain John Glenn would get the first ride and Shepard was the choice.

Great mod. Thank you very much.

- Remove the "Status: " string from every element in the status column.

- Allow for longer vessel names like "Mercury II (Kerbin Contracts) Y001D245"

- If a vessel is ready for launch - color all of the text on that line green (especially the "Ready to Launch" and "Launch" button.

- If a vessel is rolling out / rolling back - color the text yellow

I like this idea. I know it is possible to do, but I don't yet know how. I'll have to look into some tutorials for the first time since trying to add saving to the persistence. The vessel names themselves I think can be any length, but they won't display properly after a certain point (they'll line wrap and throw everything off). I'm not sure what I can do for that except to make the GUI wider as I've already cut out a lot of extra stuff.

I have noticed that when using auto fill for the crew it will post non pilots in single capsules.

Autofill will either take the very first Kerbal in the list (much like the stock game does, so generally Jeb) or will take a totally random kerbal if you've got the randomize button selected. It currently doesn't care one way or another about their class. I can maybe throw in another option (or make it the default) for "prefer pilots", at least when the ship has no other form of control. I'd like to hear what others think of that first though.

New Question.

Universal time

I currently have three contracts to launch satellites into Malinaya orbits.

I want to simulate a craft to launch.

I see there is an option in the simulation to select your Universal time.

I want to start my simulation close to the time when the desired orbit path crosses over the KSP.

I have used UT but it gives irregular launch times.. e.g sometimes 5:00 is in the dark and sometimes it is in the light.

Also any idea how to get a rough determination of the UT you want from looking at the map view?

I'm not keen on having the craft sitting on the pad for a whole day as I have no stability legs at present and it could fall over.

This might be a game play question but it's about the simulator.

I've been meaning to make that option a little more intuitive (to let you enter specific dates + times by day:hour:min:sec) but that'll probably wait until the simulation repass. The UT is seconds from game start, so 0 is day 1 at sunrise and 3600 is Day 1 Hour 1. If there's 6 hours in a day, then each day is 21600 seconds. If you want to launch when the KSC is under the orbit needed, simulate a random object on the pad, fast forward until it is under the orbit, then check the current UT (click the MET button). You'll have to convert it to seconds using 1 day=21600 seconds, 1 hour=3600 seconds, 1 minute=60 seconds.

So if it occurs on Day 12, Hour 3, Minute 14, Second 5, (you can safely ignore the seconds and probably the minutes if you just want a rough estimate) then the UT is 12*21600 + 3*3600 + 14*60 + 5 = 33233.0

The "expected use case" for the UT option at creation was for transfer windows (this planner gives you time in UT if you hover over it, for example: Kerbin to Duna occurs around 5030208) but I threw it in really quickly and is the only feature that survived the currently stale "development" branch on GitHub (the other feature that I need to transfer over is landed simulations, which were working very basically at the time). That branch stopped when 0.25 came out and the features (ScrapYard integration) were too much work at the time, but I needed to get a new update out.

I like this idea. I know it is possible to do, but I don't yet know how. I'll have to look into some tutorials for the first time since trying to add saving to the persistence. The vessel names themselves I think can be any length, but they won't display properly after a certain point (they'll line wrap and throw everything off). I'm not sure what I can do for that except to make the GUI wider as I've already cut out a lot of extra stuff.

Might consider adding some word wrap once you figure out how to as that would deal with the issue nicely, and possibly help to future proof things.

Another bug I ran across last night: If you have a ship sitting on the launch pad (and probably in storage as well) and edit it so the edit makes it too heavy for the launch pad, when you hit Save Edits it will give you the message about it being too heavy, and the editor will close, but the ship will no longer be in storage, it is just lost.

Might consider adding some word wrap once you figure out how to as that would deal with the issue nicely, and possibly help to future proof things.

Well, technically I think it does line wrap as it is now, I just don't expect that it does it very well. Though with the new fixed height (I think I fixed the height, didn't I? I haven't actually played with KCT in 0.90 yet :P )that shouldn't be as much of an issue. Previously I was adjusting the height to be a multiple of the number of entries, so if it wrapped it suddenly was taking up twice as much vertical space but only being assigned the normal amount.

Another bug I ran across last night: If you have a ship sitting on the launch pad (and probably in storage as well) and edit it so the edit makes it too heavy for the launch pad, when you hit Save Edits it will give you the message about it being too heavy, and the editor will close, but the ship will no longer be in storage, it is just lost.

Well, that certainly is an issue. I'll have to get that fixed.

Hi, I went back in the thread as far as the start of page 54 and saw nothing related. When I launch a rover I designed from the SPH, my funds get zeroed out. This is when it gets on the runway, not when I start having it built. Narrowed mod list is

CommunityResourcePack

ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads

Hangar

KAS

KerbalConstructionTime

ProceduralParts

ModuleManager.2.5.6

I THINK they are all up to date, just not sure on procedural parts.

zip of output_log and save file with rover design (named land parts) before fund zeroing is here https://www.dropbox.com/s/llnv8mxg3xmeks4/saves.zip?dl=0

If you need more info, let me know, and I'll do what I can

Started with this today and like it a lot already. Thanks!

While I hate blowing my own trumpet I have to say it plays very nice with my GovFunding mod because now there is a reason to wait a few days while funding trickles in. (a user suggested this to me actually)

I have two suggestions, though:

1. I have 3 build queues in the VAB (2.2, 0.8 and 0.6) since my science tree is maxed out. When building a vessel it always uses the fastest one. I'd like to be able to select which production lane to use instead of having to time my build orders to get it right.
  2. It would be really nice if you could interface with RealRoster since we have to launch via the KCT menu and this ignores blacklists etc. And I really like how RR is keeping Jeb out of all the pods he loves to sneak in :wink:

Hi, I went back in the thread as far as the start of page 54 and saw nothing related. When I launch a rover I designed from the SPH, my funds get zeroed out. This is when it gets on the runway, not when I start having it built. Narrowed mod list is

CommunityResourcePack

ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads

Hangar

KAS

KerbalConstructionTime

ProceduralParts

ModuleManager.2.5.6

I THINK they are all up to date, just not sure on procedural parts.

zip of output_log and save file with rover design (named land parts) before fund zeroing is here https://www.dropbox.com/s/llnv8mxg3xmeks4/saves.zip?dl=0

If you need more info, let me know, and I'll do what I can

I was very worried when I saw all of the missing scenarios (things used to save data to the save file), but then I realized this is a save with a bunch of mods removed. Have you tried on a brand new save with this set of mods?

Please turn on Debug messages in the KCT settings, if you wouldn't mind. It logs a lot more info that can help me out.

Are you positive that your funds are actually being set to 0, and aren't just being displayed as 0? Do the science and reputation meters also zero out? When you return to the space center or the editor are they still 0? I often will randomly have the meters display 0 (or nothing at all!) without any errors logged, even in the stock game. The only error I see being logged that might be related is a NullReferenceException related to the WheelCollider not having friction for some unknown reason.

NullReferenceException
at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.WheelCollider:INTERNAL_set_forwardFriction (UnityEngine.WheelFrictionCurve&)
at UnityEngine.WheelCollider.set_forwardFriction (WheelFrictionCurve value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AtHangar.WheelFrictionChanger.RestoreWheel () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AtHangar.WheelUpdater.<RestoreWheels>m__0 (AtHangar.WheelFrictionChanger w) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[AtHangar.WheelFrictionChanger].ForEach (System.Action`1 action) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AtHangar.WheelUpdater.RestoreWheels () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at AtHangar.WheelUpdater.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Started with this today and like it a lot already. Thanks!

While I hate blowing my own trumpet I have to say it plays very nice with my GovFunding mod because now there is a reason to wait a few days while funding trickles in. (a user suggested this to me actually)

I have two suggestions, though:

1. I have 3 build queues in the VAB (2.2, 0.8 and 0.6) since my science tree is maxed out. When building a vessel it always uses the fastest one. I'd like to be able to select which production lane to use instead of having to time my build orders to get it right.
  2. It would be really nice if you could interface with RealRoster since we have to launch via the KCT menu and this ignores blacklists etc. And I really like how RR is keeping Jeb out of all the pods he loves to sneak in :wink:

Alright, ready to get your mind blown? You can use the arrow buttons on the right of the build list to reorder the list on the fly ;) Then you can build things in whatever order you want, even after submitting the builds (and even if they're partly complete)!

With 0.90 you could just fire Jeb, then he won't ever show up anywhere. No need for a black list.

I unfortunately seem to have accidentally caused RealRoster to stop being supported (that's getting marked down as a "first"). The default crew, no crew, and random crew modes are already supported inherently through the Clear (All) and Fill (All) buttons, combined with the randomize option. I suppose the "rotate crew" option isn't, but apparently that wasn't functioning in RealRoster anyway? If enneract decided to submit some code to KCT to improve the crew selection, I would gladly accept it (or even work with him on some features). It was mentioned previously that defaulting to having a pilot in an otherwise unpiloted ship would make sense, as would options for "senior crew" or "newbies" so you can have your best crew or newest members (by experience and level) easily assignable. But those are all "fluff" features for KCT in general, so aren't a development priority for me.

Edit: I suppose if enneract is listening/reading in, should crew rotation be done as a separate mod I can have KCT interact with it. If I could get a list of Kerbal names in the order they should be added to a ship, I can make KCT use that as the default arrangement. Then that mod could work for the stock game as well as for KCT, and would save me the time of writing my own code for doing crew rotations.

Edited by magico13

I can say I've had this happen as well.

I was very worried when I saw all of the missing scenarios (things used to save data to the save file), but then I realized this is a save with a bunch of mods removed. Have you tried on a brand new save with this set of mods?

Please turn on Debug messages in the KCT settings, if you wouldn't mind. It logs a lot more info that can help me out.

Are you positive that your funds are actually being set to 0, and aren't just being displayed as 0? Do the science and reputation meters also zero out? When you return to the space center or the editor are they still 0? I often will randomly have the meters display 0 (or nothing at all!) without any errors logged, even in the stock game. The only error I see being logged that might be related is a NullReferenceException related to the WheelCollider not having friction for some unknown reason.

The fresh save worked fine, I confirmed the 0 funds in the Persistent file itself, science is unaffected, rep was already 0, the meter did stay zero, and here is a new log with debug active

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cfb50w27c1v1nw1/output_log%20%282%29.txt?dl=0

Thank you for the help.

The fresh save worked fine, I confirmed the 0 funds in the Persistent file itself, science is unaffected, rep was already 0, the meter did stay zero, and here is a new log with debug active

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cfb50w27c1v1nw1/output_log%20%282%29.txt?dl=0

Thank you for the help.

I didn't see anything that would indicate the funds were zero at any point.

Shoot. I just figured out the issue when I was about to mention a (seemingly different) issue. KCT takes the cost of the vessel when you add it to the build list, but stock KSP takes the cost when you put it on the pad/runway. To get around that, KCT gives you back the cost of the ship at launch. As you can see, KCT is taking 79564 but only returning 11564 funds for some reason, and then KSP is taking 79564, meaning you'd be at -47564 if you could go negative. For some reason that cost isn't being calculated correctly. Just to verify, you don't have any strategies active, but are using procedural parts (specifically a battery)? What is the cost in the editor for this vessel? What happens if you don't use any procedural or tweakscaled parts?

I can probably figure this out later today or tomorrow at the latest.

In editor:

[KCT] Removing funds: 79563.9921875, New total: 20436.0078125

[KCT] Added Land Parts to SPH build list at KSC Stock. Cost: 79563.99

After launch:

[KCT] Sucessfully removed ship from storage.

[KCT] Adding funds: 11563.990234375, New total: 31999.998046875

I didn't see anything that would indicate the funds were zero at any point.

Shoot. I just figured out the issue when I was about to mention a (seemingly different) issue. KCT takes the cost of the vessel when you add it to the build list, but stock KSP takes the cost when you put it on the pad/runway. To get around that, KCT gives you back the cost of the ship at launch. As you can see, KCT is taking 79564 but only returning 11564 funds for some reason, and then KSP is taking 79564, meaning you'd be at -47564 if you could go negative. For some reason that cost isn't being calculated correctly. Just to verify, you don't have any strategies active, but are using procedural parts (specifically a battery)? What is the cost in the editor for this vessel? What happens if you don't use any procedural or tweakscaled parts?

I can probably figure this out later today or tomorrow at the latest.

In editor:

[KCT] Removing funds: 79563.9921875, New total: 20436.0078125

[KCT] Added Land Parts to SPH build list at KSC Stock. Cost: 79563.99

After launch:

[KCT] Sucessfully removed ship from storage.

[KCT] Adding funds: 11563.990234375, New total: 31999.998046875

11564 is the price of the vehicle with no RocketParts in the "Multipurpose Resource Tank L", which is the only part there from the Hangar mod.

Edit: it costs 11113 with no battery and no RocketParts, and 79113 with the RocketParts but no battery

Edited by Ogamaga

11564 is the price of the vehicle with no RocketParts in the "Multipurpose Resource Tank L", which is the only part there from the Hangar mod.

Edit: it costs 11113 with no battery and no RocketParts, and 79113 with the RocketParts but no battery

So it's a compatibility issue with Hangar then :/ I might be able to figure something out. Might have to add something extra for Hangar to work properly.

Edit: Try build number 54 from the build server. Just download the .dll and replace the one in GameData/KerbalConstructionTime/Plugins. It should get around that issue.

Edited by magico13

Edit: I suppose if enneract is listening/reading in, should crew rotation be done as a separate mod I can have KCT interact with it. If I could get a list of Kerbal names in the order they should be added to a ship, I can make KCT use that as the default arrangement. Then that mod could work for the stock game as well as for KCT, and would save me the time of writing my own code for doing crew rotations.

Hokay!

10char

Hey magico13, hate to be a pain but my persistence updating issue has sprung up again (this time in a different install, even!). Here is the output file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sv6egrfsvpukkan/RSS%20output_log.txt?dl=0

Pretty much the exact problem I was having before, I'd launch a rocket, complete the flight, go back to the space center, and there the rocket would be, sitting on the launchpad waiting to launch. I resolved the earlier issue by fixing the name list so that all the names have Kerman as a last name - the same fix has been applied here and it isn't working. I've checked the output log, and nothing is screaming out errors about updating the save as far as I can see.

This one looks like it's specific to KCT (maybe with something else intertwined?) but I'm not positive as to the cause quite yet.

Things I noticed:

In the SpaceCenter scene, this occurred during loading, indicating an issue with ContractsWindow

1/9/2015 8:00:25 PM,ContractsWindow,Parameter Type List Cannot Be Generated Or Loaded: System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
at System.String.ParseFormatSpecifier (System.String str, System.Int32& ptr, System.Int32& n, System.Int32& width, System.Boolean& left_align, System.String& format) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.String.FormatHelper (System.Text.StringBuilder result, IFormatProvider provider, System.String format, System.Object[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.String.Format (IFormatProvider provider, System.String format, System.Object[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.String.Format (System.String format, System.Object[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ContractsWindow.DMC_MBE.LogFormatted (System.String Message, System.Object[] strParams) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ContractsWindow.paramTypeContainer..ctor (System.Type PType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ContractsWindow.contractScenario.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

During flight, upon reading the persistence file and then it immediately being saved (kind of weird behavior) KCT logged this, but I'm not positive why.

[KCT] Reading from persistence.

[KCT] Setting active site to Stock

[KCT] Setting active site to Stock

[KCT] Saving KSC Stock

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at KerbalConstructionTime.KerbalConstructionTime.DelayedStart () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KerbalConstructionTime.KerbalConstructionTimeData.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ScenarioModule.Load (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ScenarioRunner.AddModule (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ProtoScenarioModule.Load (.ScenarioRunner host) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ScenarioRunner+ .MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

If you're running RSS, which kind? (64k, 32k, full RO, etc) You don't seem to have other launch sites, is that correct? Everything's being saved to the Stock launch site (it's normal to see it be set to that twice, it's a result of code that's needed to update pre 1.1 saves to post 1.1 saves)

I just used CKAN to install RO, so as far as I know I'm using the default version.

Edit: RO version is 7.0.4, RSS is 8.5, KCT is 1.1.2.0, all installed today off CKAN.

Edited by lordyod

Well, there's this issue in RSS which might be related, but I'll try to investigate.

*Fix KSCSwitcher with a workaround. Each time you start KSP, the first time you load your save, you wll need to switch to a different site and then switch back. After that, it works fine.

Just a suggestion

Square and Root the cost of the simulations before displaying.

Due to empty tank cost issues, it is possible to make money from simulating negative cost ships, even if you are just trying to simulate empty stages to test landing a self-refueling ship.

I've been meaning to add a minimum cost for simulations, so that will solve that issue nicely I think :)

- - - Updated - - -

Totally random question for the lot of you: If you were to rename Kerbal Construction Time to something else, preferably without "Kerbal" in it since that's technically frowned upon by Squad, what would you name it?