[1.4.1] Kerbal Construction Time 1.4.0.69 (2018-03-24) - Unrapid Planned Assembly

magico13

does this also work in sandbox mode? BTW I really love the concept but i also want to use it in sandbox

Not all the features work 100% as intended (since they depend on science or funds), but everything is designed to be functional in Sandbox mode as well as Career/Science. I typically do my tests in Career mode, so there may be some things that don't behave correctly in Sandbox mode. If you encounter anything, let me know and I can fix it!

Build times will still be applied and simulations around other celestial bodies will still require you to visit there first. The upgrade system depends on the tech tree for it's progression, so in Sandbox mode you are just given 45 upgrades at the start. You can increase or decrease that number at any time in the KCT settings (you could, for instance, start out at the 15 that career mode starts with, then give yourself more when you complete personal challenges). The 45 you get is about equal to what you can get with the Tier 2 R&D center (so not quite a complete Tech Tree, but pretty far along).

Also, at any time you can enable or disable features as your playstyle warrants :)

Yet another mod to try out.. I'm slowly fleshing out career mode to be the kind of challenge i want... a mixture of reality and kerbalness.. But have to add this tonight along with Kerbalnomics to adjust how earning funding works...

Is there any sort of support for Kerbal Konstructs? I know it's probably been asked but I can't see it in the pages I've checked and I'm losing the will to live searching for it XD

It might have been mentioned a few pages back in here, or maybe that was the dev thread, both are somewhat active right now due to the state of the development version so I don't remember who said what in which :P Short answer is "no". Longer answer is "sort of". There's nothing that explicitly supports Kerbal Konstructs, but there's also nothing that directly prevents the two from working together and I know of people who do.

There are a few extra quirks though. Whichever launch site is chosen in the VAB/SPH at the time of launch is the one that gets used. You'll want to turn off reconditioning and rollout times, since they assume a single launch site. In the development version I've made it so you can launch completed ships from the editor, which will save a step for KK users (since they won't have to switch back out after selecting a launch site to actually launch).

I'm thinking the release after this next one I might spend some time adding additional cross-mod support. Kerbal Konstructs is on the top of that list, followed by more options for Kerbal Alarm Clock, and the TestFlight mod. Currently there's already basic KAC support, loads of RSS support (KCT is a recommended mod for RP-0, the career mode version of Realism Overhaul), and support for StageRecovery and DebRefund (not that DebRefund appears to exist anymore). CrewQ is also getting support in the next version, added by the author himself. I can't remember if I've added anything special for any other mods :/ StageRecovery is getting FMRS support though (and the dev versions already have it).

Edited by magico13

I think would be nice if when we recover planes, it would be back on SPH list to launch again, instead of wait until the parts be disassembly and assembly again. Actually, it could be with any vessel, and if we need reconstruct the rest of craft, we just need click in Edit and save some time to reconstruct.

Edited by DarthWall

Already implemented for next release in the development builds.

It's potentially buggy since KSP doesn't really like when you convert a Vessel to a ShipConstruct (but is happy to do the opposite function), but I was doing some additional testing today and it seems to be working nicely. I even did a write up of how to add additional MODULEs to be reset, so that people can do that right away when I release it. Which might be tomorrow since I haven't been having any major bugs with the changes made in the dev builds.

For those of you curious, the dev version is about 50 commits ahead of the release version, representing a surprisingly large amount of changes for what will probably appear to be not a lot of work. However, I think opening nearly every calculation KCT does to a user adjustable config file is a non-trivial addition ;) There's also the recovering to storage and KSC upgrade time requirements. And bug fixes. Lots of bug fixes.

I'm just starting to fly planes in my current game, and was thinking that it ought to be possible to re-use planes. Glad to hear that you've already implemented it. :)

So how do you handle the issue of distance? If I recover and re-use a plane from the far side of the planet, does it cost me any more (time/money/whatever) than re-using a plane that was recovered after landing at the KSC runway? I think it ought to. I've been flying planes to sites to fulfill various survey contracts and then abandoning (recovering) them there, rather than bothering to fly back home. It seems like I should have to pay at least a little for this. Right now I pay because of the distance penalty for recovering.

In addition to it returning less funds (which are then taken since you've "rebuilt" the craft, meaning you pay money to recover a craft that's far away) it also requires more time. The minimum time it takes to recover a craft is the time it would take to rollout the vessel (even for planes). The maximum is twice that. I might make some changes to that in the future, but it's a simple solution for now :)

In short, the closer to KSC you land, the better.

A HUUUGE solution for people who want to recover spaceplanes that land at KSC is to build a refueling truck and use docking ports or KAS, then park your ship off the side of the landing strip, refuel, build cranes to move satellites or cargo in to the bay, etc. If you use Deadly Re-entry or Realchutes, then after you burn through all of your heatsheilding or repack your chutes enough times, THEN recover the vessel, it could probably use some time to get serviced and repaired anyway. Not like the space shuttle could just take back off right after landing after all....

As you likely have noticed, I finally released 1.1.5. It's been nearly 3 months, sorry about that, but a Ph.D. program tends to suck up a lot of time. Not only that, but there have been some pretty major changes internally and there was a side project that got started a little while back that I was working on.

To the end user, it may not appear as if much has changed, and if so then good! That means I did everything correctly! There are numerous bug fixes and a few new features.

1. Vessels can be recovered directly into storage (by opening the KCT GUI in flight and recovering through it). This will LIKELY have issues as it's a... weird... thing to do internally. You WILL have to manually refuel your ships after they've been recovered, but I've added a button to the editor to refill them back to their defaults. Additionally, I've provided a tutorial here on how to reset additional modules by default.
  2. KSC upgrades now take time based on their cost. Pretty straight forward. There's a new KSC tab for it.
  3. 90% of the formulas that KCT uses for determining build rates or costs are exposed in the KCT_Formulas.cfg file. Here is an overview of what's exposed and how to change them. Most users won't even notice this, but those of you who like to customize everything are gonna go nuts. The RP-0 guys especially ;)

I STRONGLY encourage you to check out the entire changelog. This update consisted of 64 commits, which is a pretty non-trivial number. You may be wondering why it's only 1.1.5 then, and not 1.2. The reason is that not enough changed on the outside for me to warrant calling it 1.2. I have/had some lofty plans for 1.2 originally (we'll see if I go through with them or not, depends on that side project). Either way, next update will likely focus on improved integration with other mods, such as KAC, Test Flight, and Kerbal Konstructs.

v1.1.5.0 (3/24/15)
New Features:
- The Most Requested Feature: Recovering directly to storage. Be warned that it likely has bugs, especially with mod parts. Requires manual refuelling of ships.
- KSC Upgrades now have time requirements associated with them.
- Several new formulae have been exposed for editing, including the entire BP calculation formula.
- Rush builds 10% by spending 20% of the total vessel cost.
Interface Changes:
- Moved buttons in the build list to before the vessel name
- You can Alt+Click the arrow buttons to move a vessel to top/bottom of the list
- Lines in storage are colored according to their current status
- Vessels that are rolled out can be launched from the Editor (should save a scene change for KK users)
- Crew Select GUI now displays Kerbal class and level
- Crew Select GUI options now persist
- Simulation time limit selection now persists per save. Defaults to infinite time if "free simulations" is active.
- Added support for CrewQ mod (enneract)
Bug Fixes:
- Added a popup that occurs when KCT doesn't load save data properly.
- Fixed issues with editing a ship past VAB/launchpad limits.
- Possibly fixed issues with costs being incorrectly calculated in some instances
- Made the launch tooltip not get stuck when pressing the launch button (enneract)
- Fixed several issues with upgrade point purchases/resetting.
- Fix loading a save after a crash during a simulation.
- Throttled editor recalculations to reduce lag, especially with procedural parts (enneract)
- Fix for Real Fuels boiling off during construction
Miscellaneous:
- "icons" folder renamed to "Icons"
- Added min(x,y), max(x,y), sign(x), abs(x), l(x), and L(x) functions to math parser (l=natural log, L=log base 10)
- Removed Herobrine

Also, depending on what timezone you're in, it's my birthday :D Not yet for me. Still got 3.5 hours.

Removed Herobrine, eh? We'll see about that XD

Ooh, I've literally created an account at this forum to write this post, but it feels right, because this mod has really made my game so much more fun. Thank you greatly for a great mod!

Herobrine? What is that.

It's a reference to something in Minecraft. Nearly all the release notes end with "Removed Herobrine" as a joke. I was feeling a bit playful with this update ;)

It's a reference to something in Minecraft. Nearly all the release notes end with "Removed Herobrine" as a joke. I was feeling a bit playful with this update ;)

oh, okay, just thought there was something weird I didn't know about in there. I haven't played ksp without this mod since you first made it, so I was pretty sure if herobrine was a thing and the fact I didn't was kind of embarrassing. Since I don't play minecraft. well, now I don't feel so stupid. :)

So, actual game-play question, does a craft need to be landed on the Launchpad or runway to be recovered to storage to be edited? or is just landed on Kerbin enough? Haven't actually figured out how to do this yet.

Just landed on Kerbin is enough. If you land on the runway/launchpad it takes less time and doesn't cost anything. If you recover something far away you have to wait twice as long and pay up to 90% of the full cost (because you recover it at 10% and then pay 100% to "build" it again)

Edit: Actually, looking at the code on my phone, I may have neglected to take the vessel cost out of your funds. I need to double check that I didn't accidentally create a free money loop.

Edit2: I apparently am not totally sure how I even implemented that code... I think if you exit the game or try to recover something while something else is already being recovered it will have issues. I'll go through it again today and make sure it's not totally nonsensical. I implemented different parts of it at totally different times so it may not have all come together properly. It works great within a single play session and with only one vessel at a time, though!

Edit3: Nope, I did everything correctly. Nevermind me, I'm apparently more intelligent than myself.

Edited by magico13

Seeing something odd that seems new to 1.1.5 and I'm not sure yet if I should report as a bug (could be coincidence with my installing 1.1.5 and is related to some other mod entirely.) Basic sequence is:

1. Use KCT on the space center view to launch an unmanned satellite lifter.

2. Do the normal launch things, you know, maneuver deftly, shout, panic, punch the air when it fails to explode horrifically.

3. Switch to other satellites in orbit to adjust their antennae settings to include the new satellite (which is out of atmo but still coasting to apoapsis) in they're (Remote Tech) network.

4. Once that's done, hit esc, click Space Center.

Then I'm taken back to the space center as normal, but after it renders, maybe half a second later, I'm taken back to the launchpad at the time of #1, i.e., faster than I can reach for the mouse, the game reverts to the launch of step 1 above as if I'd been running a KCT simulation instead of a launch.

Thoughts? (Does this sound likely enough to be KCT I should go through some more structured repro attempts and get a log file uploaded?)

Edited by Faster