[1.4.1] Kerbal Construction Time 1.4.0.69 (2018-03-24) - Unrapid Planned Assembly

magico13

Hmm, an unfortunate circumstance. I'll probably need to make a change in the code to fix your situation (I think I fixed a similar issue, or meant to at least :/ ) Something you can do is to open up the save, find your craft, and change PRELAUNCH to LANDED in the situation line.

Edit: I was going to reset the OP back to normal, but I'll wait until tomorrow just in case anyone else attempts the daily challenge or comes here trying to figure out how to turn off the prank in the next few hours. It'll be back to normal tomorrow (and if you're already on April 2nd then KCT should be totally back to normal now). Thanks for everyone who played along! Hopefully I didn't drive you too crazy ;)

Edit2: OP back to normal, but I kept a link to CalculusWarrior's Daily Challenge entry, since it's awesome.

Edited by magico13

So, I'm Informing you of an issue with the recover active vessel to storage, if you build a craft with symmetry then break the symmetry in flight, recovering it will break KCT. this is easily reproducible, build a plane in SPH, attach wings with symmetry option, launch, run plane into building to knock off a wing, recover active vessel to storage, then try to edit broken vessel, step back and watch Kraken attack. :)

if you build a craft with symmetry then break the symmetry in flight, recovering it will break KCT.

Well that sounds absolutely wonderful!... Sounds like my "break everything" coprocessor is functioning fully :D

Hmm. I don't know if I'll be able to fix that or not. What I might be able to do is check to see if the craft file that gets created is actually valid. Can you get me a log from you recovering something like that? If an NRE is thrown prior to the scene change then that would be WONDERFUL, because I can catch that and alert the user that "Hey, this craft can't actually be recovered, sorry :(" rather than breaking things. Workarounds are better than breaking things, but not as nice as actually fixing the problem, unfortunately. It might be possible to rebuild the craft so that it works properly, but that sounds like a nightmare. I know Claw has a "stock bugfix" for symmetry issues, which I might be able to find some inspiration from.

It might be nothing, but with several mods i think kerbconstructions makes my game crash when i try to launch a craft.

Log files (check the bottom of the first post for their location) will help me figure out what's causing your crash. Even if it's not KCT, I'll gladly help you find the cause :)

For those of you who hadn't noticed, Scott Manley did a

. Unsurprisingly, half the comments are pretty sure it just turns KSP into a mobile game (they clearly weren't around for April 1st, when it did just that. They'd know better now.)

I'm curious as to what all of you think about the video (I'll refrain from saying my point of view so as to not seed your thoughts to be like mine, I'm more interested in what you think rather than having people agree with me). I also hope that some of you might offer up some of your experiences in the comments, good or bad, so the viewers can get an idea of what they'd expect if they played with KCT. Also because I love hearing interesting KCT related stories and I might want to steal them for the first post ;)

. Unsurprisingly, half the comments are pretty sure it just turns KSP into a mobile game (they clearly weren't around for April 1st, when it did just that. They'd know better now.)

I'm curious as to what all of you think about the video...

Can't understand this point of view. Maybe because I've already using KCT, but nothing in this video is about making something like that. And I didn't run KSP at April 1st...

From my point of view Scott was accurate and completely described all I think about this great mod and why I considered it as a nice gameplay feature to have.

P.S. Sometimes I think "desgning" every part in science node can take time too, if such option as BypassEntryPurchaseAfterResearch is not enabled for save, for even more realistic hardcore.

Some things about new feature in latest version about recovering vessels: When I recover a plane from runway and then launching it again it sits at its tail rather than gear (turned 90 degree up). It is also loading into editor via "Edit" button same way (which is previously reported by user BlueTiger12), but I'm able to turn it back to gears. The only thing I can't do in the editor with recovered plane is to save edits or exit the editor. All buttons are inactive after that. If I clear Input Lock Stack through debug toolbar, I'm able to return to KSC and launch craft again.

The next thing I'm needed to check is the breaking some parts placed with symmetry (because there is a known issue with it), and it is breaking the game completely when launching craft again. Attaching logs. At some point it generates crazy amounts of NRE for other mods, and I forced game to stop, but I attach full logs without any edits. Just in case you know what you need grep for. After my look I can't find (I also have crazy amount of mods installed, so it is nice testing bed for compatibility issues, he-he).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5113976/KSP/biglogs.zip

So, I'm Informing you of an issue with the recover active vessel to storage, if you build a craft with symmetry then break the symmetry in flight, recovering it will break KCT. this is easily reproducible, build a plane in SPH, attach wings with symmetry option, launch, run plane into building to knock off a wing, recover active vessel to storage, then try to edit broken vessel, step back and watch Kraken attack. :)

Hey Guys

You remember my problem?

I also had an issue with the symmetry (see a few pages earlier)

The first recovering broke the recovered file

But i had a quicksafe

I reloaded, and recovering worked at the second time

When editing i edited the unsymmetric ship and everything worked fine

So recovering a ship with broken symmetry can work, but i think it has some issues anywhere

I'm curious as to what all of you think about the video (I'll refrain from saying my point of view so as to not seed your thoughts to be like mine, I'm more interested in what you think rather than having people agree with me). I also hope that some of you might offer up some of your experiences in the comments, good or bad, so the viewers can get an idea of what they'd expect if they played with KCT. Also because I love hearing interesting KCT related stories and I might want to steal them for the first post ;)

Why does it take no time to build rockets? Why am I done with all science and waiting for a window to eeloo in a month? Why have year long+ contract deadlines? None of that make sense to me in career. I can't say the same with the other modes, but in career it make the contracts have real meaning I watch what I accept based on how much simulations of the mission are going to cost then how long its going to take me to get the actual mission ready along with what other missions I am running. I could not see career without KCT. I personally would use it in the other modes just because I run TAC with no QS QL and the idea of fumbling a mission and having to build a rescue or have built a rescue is very appealing as a challenge to me. I love RPGs so I can add that a bit more with this mod, along with all the other mods I use. I think everyone has their own idea of KSP is and should be, that the best part about it, and any mod outside a person's scope will seem silly. I <3 KCT

Edited by Svm420

I'm a regular viewer of Scott Manley's feed and thus I did catch this - in fact I was pretty excited to see him do a spotlight on it. I have to admit I was slightly disappointed as he didn't seem particularly pleased with it and in turn I'm not sure he saw the mod the way I see it... That said, he wasn't critical about it and everything he highlighted about it was accurate and even things I appreciated... it just wasn't a spotlight on how it enhances my KSP experience.

My perspective of how Scott sums it up - all accurate:

- Enhance Career game

- For realism

- Slightly more "hard mode"

- Enhances game play in a few niche situations by punishing you for mistakes

- Specifically makes recovering from mistakes via rescue mission more difficult

- Particularly compatible with life-support as the time it takes you to build may exceed the remaining life support remaining in other craft

What I would've focused on as the "fun" part of KCT:

- Creating a space agency will now span the ages

- A space race to the moon or Duna is now a race measured by virtual time

- KCT does this by passing the games virtual time as science advancements are researched and next generation rockets are constructed

- What's your strategy to reach another planet? Can you research enough technology in time to use that first Duna Launch Window?

- Your career is now a race against time (if you want it to be). Your achievements are epic moments spanning the years.

- The in Game Time starts to take on some meaning

I'm curious about other's take on this - I use KCT (along with Kerbal Alarm Clock) to promote the simultaneous management of my Space Agency. I never *have* to work on two things at the same time, but doing so allows me to achieve more in less Virtual Game Time. Simultaneous management of multiple missions, along with choices on what to do next, gives the game more strategic depth for me. I can now ask other players what year of their career were they able to put a satellite in Duna orbit. I can have my Spacy Agency race yours. Do others do this?

-------

- Creating a space agency will now span the ages

- A space race to the moon or Duna is now a race measured by virtual time

- KCT does this by passing the games virtual time as science advancements are researched and next generation rockets are constructed

- What's your strategy to reach another planet? Can you research enough technology in time to use that first Duna Launch Window?

- Your career is now a race against time (if you want it to be). Your achievements are epic moments spanning the years.

- The in Game Time starts to take on some meaning

I'm curious about other's take on this - I use KCT (along with Kerbal Alarm Clock) to promote the simultaneous management of my Space Agency. I never *have* to work on two things at the same time, but doing so allows me to achieve more in less Virtual Game Time. Simultaneous management of multiple missions, along with choices on what to do next, gives the game more strategic depth for me. I can now ask other players what year of their career were they able to put a satellite in Duna orbit. I can have my Spacy Agency race yours. Do others do this?

This :cool: Before this mod, I added a time delay of my own to any rocket that I'd build so my game wasn't design build fly in the span of 5 in game seconds. A few friends of mine and I play together, and we use this mod to do real competitive play, and some cooperative with craft sharing and persistence editing. [nothing cheaty, just to keep our 'ships' sync'd] Each of us controls our own nation's space program and helps or tries to hinder each other. We recently added BD armory mod, and two of my buddies almost immediately went to war with each other. [which is a real chore since we don't actually use one of the multi-player mods. Those of us not involved in the war decide the outcome of battle type scenarios that get passed around to decide the outcome of the battles / war.] :)

I have just seen Scott Manleys mod spotlight and this seems like a fun mod to try.

Can any1 tell me about memory footprint. I would assume it is very small due to no parts, but just wanted to check. I have 60+ mods in my save so i am VERY short on memory and using every method known to man (ATM, OpenGL, Deleting Parts, you name it).

I would also love to hear from those who played with mod some of the stories this mod creates (i.e. missed launch windows, failed to rescue kerbals despite heoric attempts etc), as i am tweaking the mod list for my new youtube series i plan to launch soon, so I naturally want to know how it will affect my save.

I am a bit concerned that my start might be too slow due to waiting for construction. Is it so ? Please share your experiences with the mod.

Thx in advance

EDIT: Tried it and have a question

- is there any way you can customize the location where will all KCT windows appear, as in some cases some windows seem to be fixed location for me so it overlaps with others ?

Edited by Grunf911

Several people have posted a few storied/experiences just above your post (thanks guys!), hopefully we hear a few more :) There's two or so linked in the first post. OverloadUT's was a great example of what time limitations can do to a rescue operation.

Memory footprint shouldn't be too bad, but if you store a lot of really large ships it could be sizeable. Each ship is stored internally as a craft file, which could add up to be several megabytes worth of memory. Should be way less than any mods that add parts, but I've never tested it thoroughly.

The first few builds are a bit slow and you'll likely just warp through them all (not much real time taken though, just a bit tedious). Later on when you have longer missions you'll find that it's not as much of an issue. If you know your Minmus mission will be taking 10 days, you make sure you've got something building during that time. Chances are it'll be complete by the time you finish your mission and you won't have spent any more time on it than you would have without KCT. You'll find yourself planning multiple missions, and often running multiple missions, at once rather than one after the other, to try to use time as efficiently as possible. Some people still run one mission at a time and just warp everything, but like the time limitation for things like rescue operations or advancing the universe a bit between launches. If you ever find that the timing of things isn't how you like, there are a lot of customization options.

As for the windows, the main one and a few of the popups are in fixed locations. I need to mess with that some more, since I'd like the main one to work like the resource menu or the contracts app, but experiments in the past with that also ended up acting strange.

Hi and thx for the reply magico13.

I have tried it a bit, and like it so far (playing with instant unlock for the tech nodes). However my question is why do you have separate build queues for VAB / SPH.

Would it not be more convenient so you have a single list (i.e. like alarm clock, and use buttons to filter our the rest, so i.e. if i press SPH i only see sph).

My reasoning is then "if i want to see the build queue i would like to see relative percentages and completion rates for ALL of my construction / research, and not having to look for VAB, SPH, or Tech". However, I have played with this mod so little that I can imagine if there are some specific reasons for separate queues, but it's just a little bit counter-intuitive for me.

Maybe my perspective will change with time as i play it. I do like what it does to game though. :-)

However my question is why do you have separate build queues for VAB / SPH.

Would it not be more convenient so you have a single list (i.e. like alarm clock, and use buttons to filter our the rest, so i.e. if i press SPH i only see sph).

Glad you're finding things to be enjoyable :) The reason there are multiple build queues instead of one single one is that all the queues are independent of each other. So whatever's in the SPH queue isn't affected by the VAB queue or the Tech one or the KSC one (I might move the KSC one into Tech now that I think about it, since those all research at the same time anyway and it removes the need for a separate tab). So I could try to do some trickery to have a single visible queue with multiple actual queues, but that makes managing them more difficult. Also, the code for multiple independent queues is WAY easier to write ;)

Kinda weird request for the artistic types that are out there. A long, long time ago Diomedea made the incredibly wonderful icons that KCT uses now. I got it in my mind the other day that I really, really wanted to get a t-shirt with the KCT icon and "KCT" written on it, but the icon needs to be bigger and I'm bad at fonts and virtually everything else artistic. If any of you would be willing to make a nice looking logo, preferably two versions with "KCT" and "Kerbal Construction Time" on them, suitable for a t-shirt, and maybe a more interesting logo for the forum thread and KerbalStuff page, I would be very grateful (for this, I'm thinking something like @KSA_MissionCtrl's VAB assembly images could be used as inspiration, tying in the time element to vessel construction [an example]). I'm willing to discuss compensation (preferably with in-game favors, but small sums of IRL funds could be exchanged for high quality work, but I'd like to see either a decent mockup or a quick portfolio first). As always, I'm open to other options (that's how we got these icons in the first place). For a terrible version of what I'm thinking (aka, my attempt) look below.

KCdFHd4.png

I've discovered an awesome little trick for early career. Invest all upgrades point in VAB never SPH in early career. Why you ask? Well you can just launch the plane from the low level launch pad as its level with the terrain, or even more ingeniously you can launch then immediately recover active vessel into the SPH and then launch from the runway*.

*Not sure if you can recover to a different building than the one the craft was built and "launched/rolled out" from as I just flew from the launchpad kerbal style!

Magico13,

Unfortunately, I'm getting a KCT error, and I don't know that you're going to like it. Hopefully you know pretty quickly where the error may originate from.

Here's my output log via dropbox:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62531235/output_log.txt

I can't seem to get a screenshot from the Space Center view where the error message pops up (maybe F1 doesn't take a screenshot there?) but this is what it says:

Error Loading KCT Data

ERROR! An error occurred while loading KCT data. Things will be seriously broken! Please report this error to the KCT forum thread and attach the log file. The game will be UNPLAYABLE in this state!

I'm running a bunch of mods. I have 87 subfolders in my GameData directory. If it becomes vitally important to try and create an accurate mod list, I will. However, here's what happened:

With all these mods, even running in OpenGL, the game usually starts at about 2.8 GB of RAM consumption. I have my screenshots set to be scaled to 5X when taken, as I can't get anti-aliasing to work at all with OpenGL, even forcing it via the nVidia control panel. That way, I can rescale the screenshots and do a poor-man's anti-aliasing, scaling it down to a lower resolution, but still have everything look crisp and smooth.

With the memory issue, I decided to give a try to the DDS converter DDS4KSP (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/98672-WIN-KSP-to-DDS-texture-converter) and use the DDS Loader mod. I make a complete copy of my entire Kerbal installation, and run the DDS converter on the new install. Miracle of miracles, the game starts using about 2.1 GB of RAM in OpenGL, and loads unbelievably quickly. But, I get the KCT error above.

That's weird, as I don't think KCT really requires anything in the way of parts, graphics, etc. But I load up the original game install, and it all works fine. KCT definitely does not in the install with the DDS. So I delete the KCT directory, and reinstall on the DDS install, but without running the DDS converter again. Same issue, no go. So I delete the directory and copy over the KCT folder from the original install, still no go. So then I copy over the saved game folder from the original, and still no go. But if I delete the KCT folder from the DDS install, everything else in the game runs great. Seems excellent, in fact. I can't find anything broken in it.

Any ideas, and why DDS would break KCT?

That error just means that something caused the OnLoad function to not complete, which is usually another mod running into an issue and not gracefully exiting, causing all later mods in line to never get to read their data. I should be able to find what mod is causing it pretty quickly and I'll get back to you in a few moments :)

Edit: In trying to DDSify your textures you managed to break a planet pack, which in turn broke Contract Configurator, which in turn broke KCT. If you want to reduce RAM usage and still have fast load times, I'd suggest using Active Texture Management which will automatically convert your textures to DDS and will reduce them a bit to lower ram usage further. Since the textures get converted as well, load times are pretty fast.

I just noticed you already have ATM installed, so I guess ignore what I said before about installing that. You could turn off mipmap generation in the ATM settings to try to reduce RAM usage further? But that'll require another round of compression I think.

Also, Kerbin's PQS (aka, terrain) didn't seem to load and it looks like at least one ship crashed into Kerbin as a result (since it was no longer landed).

Here's the error that's directly breaking KCT.

ArgumentException: 'Sarnus' is not a valid CelestialBody.
at ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil.ParseCelestialBodyValue (.ConfigNode configNode, System.String key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil.ParseValue[CelestialBody] (.ConfigNode configNode, System.String key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ContractConfigurator.RemoteTech.RemoteTechProgressTracker.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ScenarioModule.Load (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ScenarioRunner.AddModule (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ProtoScenarioModule.Load (.ScenarioRunner host) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ScenarioRunner+ .MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at VesselAutopilot+VesselRSAS.GetTotalVesselTorque (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at VesselAutopilot+VesselRSAS.UpdateVesselTorque () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at VesselAutopilot+VesselRSAS+. () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at CallbackUtil+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Edited by magico13

That error just means that something caused the OnLoad function to not complete, which is usually another mod running into an issue and not gracefully exiting, causing all later mods in line to never get to read their data. I should be able to find what mod is causing it pretty quickly and I'll get back to you in a few moments :)

Edit: In trying to DDSify your textures you managed to break a planet pack, which in turn broke Contract Configurator, which in turn broke KCT. If you want to reduce RAM usage and still have fast load times, I'd suggest using Active Texture Management which will automatically convert your textures to DDS and will reduce them a bit to lower ram usage further. Since the textures get converted as well, load times are pretty fast.

I just noticed you already have ATM installed, so I guess ignore what I said before about installing that. You could turn off mipmap generation in the ATM settings to try to reduce RAM usage further? But that'll require another round of compression I think.

Also, Kerbin's PQS (aka, terrain) didn't seem to load and it looks like at least one ship crashed into Kerbin as a result (since it was no longer landed).

Here's the error that's directly breaking KCT.

ArgumentException: 'Sarnus' is not a valid CelestialBody.
at ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil.ParseCelestialBodyValue (.ConfigNode configNode, System.String key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ContractConfigurator.ConfigNodeUtil.ParseValue[CelestialBody] (.ConfigNode configNode, System.String key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ContractConfigurator.RemoteTech.RemoteTechProgressTracker.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ScenarioModule.Load (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ScenarioRunner.AddModule (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ProtoScenarioModule.Load (.ScenarioRunner host) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ScenarioRunner+ .MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at VesselAutopilot+VesselRSAS.GetTotalVesselTorque (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at VesselAutopilot+VesselRSAS.UpdateVesselTorque () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at VesselAutopilot+VesselRSAS+. () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at CallbackUtil+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

You are quick! Thanks. I am guessing that I'll just need to eliminate a couple of mods. Taking screenshots at the 5x multiple really sucks down RAM. The first screenshot, I can get away with OK. The second screenshot takes about 30 seconds to process, during which time the game completely halts. The third is usually OK again. The fourth or fifth causes the game to crash due to being out of memory. Even without screenshots, I can't run for more than about an hour before crashing due to the memory leaks.

And yeah, I run ATM on aggressive settings. Even with that, the mods I'm running won't even start up in DirectX 9. Too much, and I get beyond the ~3.5 GB limit while the game is still loading. The DDS textures and maps promise to be a huge benefit in the 1.0 release.

Thanks so much for your assistance.

If there's anything else you need me to help with, let me know! I can take a look at a log or two if you keep fiddling with things and run into other issues, but I don't know a whole lot about converting the textures to DDS. It might be enough to just not convert any of the textures in any planet pack folders (including wherever planet textures are for the stock game).

You are quick! Thanks. I am guessing that I'll just need to eliminate a couple of mods. Taking screenshots at the 5x multiple really sucks down RAM. The first screenshot, I can get away with OK. The second screenshot takes about 30 seconds to process, during which time the game completely halts. The third is usually OK again. The fourth or fifth causes the game to crash due to being out of memory. Even without screenshots, I can't run for more than about an hour before crashing due to the memory leaks.

And yeah, I run ATM on aggressive settings. Even with that, the mods I'm running won't even start up in DirectX 9. Too much, and I get beyond the ~3.5 GB limit while the game is still loading. The DDS textures and maps promise to be a huge benefit in the 1.0 release.

One thing that's helped me in the past is adding -force-opengl as a parameter to my KSP shortcut. Dramatically cuts down on memory usage and I haven't seen any change in performance (although admittedly I haven't rigorously tested it, just haven't noticed anything while normally playing).

.25 was the last time I went really crazy with modded installs and adding that parameter turned my memory usage from ~3.6gb down to 2.1gb. On my less modded .90 install it makes the difference between 2.15gb to 1.15gb

One thing that's helped me in the past is adding -force-opengl as a parameter to my KSP shortcut. Dramatically cuts down on memory usage and I haven't seen any change in performance (although admittedly I haven't rigorously tested it, just haven't noticed anything while normally playing).

.25 was the last time I went really crazy with modded installs and adding that parameter turned my memory usage from ~3.6gb down to 2.1gb. On my less modded .90 install it makes the difference between 2.15gb to 1.15gb

I observe similar trends with openGL. At first load I sit around 2.0 GB, but with the terrible memory leaks in KSP I still get crashes after a few hours after going above 3.5. Without it I can only play for a very short amount of time before going from 2.8 at load to above 3.5. I do see performance issues though, and they're pretty noticeable. DirectX11 gives me really bad graphical glitches. Looking forward to 1.0 since I hopefully will be able to use DirectX9 again without randomly crashing. Hopefully Unity 5 has better support for DX11 because I'd like to use that instead (and have multithreaded physics... and maybe eventually 64 bit on Windows.)

I don't even use any big parts mods like KW or B9. I have MKS and that's pretty much it :/

My load is with the -force-opengl tag. I know it doesn't translate 1:1, but my GameData folder is 3.82 GB all by itself. Hopefully with the DDS transition in the stock game with 1.0, more modders will use DDS, which will help a lot. I know it is almost silly to have so many mods, but they are so much fun! Outer Planet Mod does have all its textures using DDS already, so I'm not sure how or what got broken. I may tinker with it some more sometime.

By the way, Magico, I do love this mod, KCT. I've just started tinkering with it, and found it to be a massive headache early on, not understanding it at all. Scott Manley's video convinced me to take another look at it, although I wasn't sold on it at all. However, the PDF instructions manual really did help a lot. I don't use the "simulate" function at all, or at least haven't yet. I did set it to "free" though. I am using everything else at defaults, except for the rollout time I put at 10%. I thought that was going to make a big difference, but it really doesn't matter at all.

For me, KSP is one big game of "Let's pretend" mixed in with Legos, Tinker Toys, Construx, etc. KCT isn't doing anything that I wasn't already trying to do on my own, but it is a simple framework that helps remind you and keep you focused on what you're "pretending" about. There is a lot of warping forward instead of constant launces, and it really doesn't change much in the way I play. I was manually doing a 21 Kerbin-day hiatus between launches manually before KCT, and I think KCT may actually let me do more than that. However, the KSC upgrades take a long time, and really slow things down.

Again, all of this is at first. I'm sure the gameplay does change a bit later. I'm really looking forward to using this in a multiplayer environment, once we have a great option there.

I didn't get a lot of time to play test the KSC upgrades, so they might be a bit unbalanced (but all of your rates get added together, VAB and SPH, to complete them). If you find they're too long and want to reduce them by some amount, if you open up the KCT_Formulas.cfg file in a text editor and change the KSCUpgradeFormula to add a "0.5*" or something like that (aka, multiply it by a half) that will reduce the time for future upgrades to half of what it would be (set to 0.75 for three quarters, etc). You might notice there are a lot of things in that file, if you decide to tinker with them I'd suggest taking a look at this overview.

Early game is a bit rough, but late game (especially when you're running multiple missions) things get easier. In my latest save I've got simulation costs turned off and tech unlock times turned off. I might turn off rollout (or reconditioning). Both rollout and reconditioning were features added by request, so I'm not the biggest fan of them sometimes :P I've got two VAB lines at 2.0 and 1.0 and an SPH line somewhere around 1.0. After the R&D center upgrades I'll have the tech tree unlocked.