[1.4.1] Kerbal Construction Time 1.4.0.69 (2018-03-24) - Unrapid Planned Assembly

magico13

Thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately, visiting the VAB doesn't help, I still get the explosion, and the lines above still appear in the KSP.log file.

Was this craft built with an older version of KCT and not launched until now? Can you upload the save file too? I'm wondering if something got messed up in the craft info.

Is it possible to keep the time from stopping if I change focus to another window?

I don't understand what you mean. Do you mean when you alt-tab out of KSP? There might be a KSP setting to "simulate in background" or something like that, or using a borderless window might work, but otherwise I don't know of anything. I found this short thread which mentions that in the space center scene time will stop if you alt-tab, but not in flight or the tracking station.

- - - Updated - - -

Ever since updating, Max warp is now stuck at 10k x. Why can't I get 100k x anymore? even if I manually edit the .cfg to maxtimewarp = 8 It won't let me get that high.

Additionally, Kerbal alarm clock seems to have no trouble dropping from 100k x to 1x in a moment, I'm pretty sure that KCT's warp ramping down is a legacy workaround that's no longer needed, or at least should be optional.

Sorry, I must have missed this post earlier. When you open the KCT settings in-game and have the option to change the max warp, what does it say? If the thing you're trying to warp to is completing fairly soon then it won't go to the max warp.

I've made a note on GitHub to take a look at the warp down code. I wonder if KAC switched to using the Stock "Warp To" system, or if they just rewrote that code. Either way, I'll try to get warping to take minimal time for the next update.

I don't understand what you mean. Do you mean when you alt-tab out of KSP? There might be a KSP setting to "simulate in background" or something like that, or using a borderless window might work, but otherwise I don't know of anything. I found this short thread which mentions that in the space center scene time will stop if you alt-tab, but not in flight or the tracking station.

Yes, that was it.

It's annoying, I guess, but not this mod's fault. I only noticed it because I'm still learning this, and was more observant than normal for things like the clock.

Thanks for replying

LGG

Why is it licensed (at least the download) under the GNU free Documentation license? That one isn't meant for software? Is there a special case you wish to use this license instead of the standard GPL?

Why is it licensed (at least the download) under the GNU free Documentation license? That one isn't meant for software? Is there a special case you wish to use this license instead of the standard GPL?

I am not sure how I managed to do that, but it should be GPL v3 instead. Thank you for catching that! It appears I did the same thing with StageRecovery. There's a non-zero chance I did that with the modlets too...

Hey how do I make it so actual cheap rockets are actually fast to produce? - In reality we also stopped using reusable rockets: way to expensive in manhours to produce and maintain. Instead the future are dispossable cheaply producable rockets and satellites which can work together to fit an armada of tasks. (lego-like, but instead of being able to start over you just buy more bricks as that is cheaper than resorting).

I'm quite annoyed that my specialized rocket list (100+ designs) in this mod all take 3+ days. Or will repeated creation of the same rockets (parts thereoff, payload is sometimes a science lab, sometimes a thermometer).

I'm on my phone currently, so my reply won't be as detailed as if I were at a computer, but I'll attempt to detail what you can do to adjust things for your playstyle.

Firstly, 3 days is extremely fast for the time between ordering a rocket and flying it ;)

If you use the same parts between builds (aka, only use one fuel tank type, one rocket engine, etc) then the builds will get faster each time.

If you want to adjust all build time to be faster, you can reduce the Overall Modifier to less than 1 in the settings to reduce the times. Alternatively, increase the Build Effect to make future builds using the same parts faster. You might be interested in setting the Inventory Effect to zero so the part inventory has no effect.

If you want to tweak things even further, I'd suggest modifying the formulas. Here is the link to the wiki pages that discuss that: https://github.com/magico13/KCT/wiki/Presets:-An-Overview

Well there is than a balancing problem: a way way more complicated build I made (8k delta-V, almost a solid 36 meter stack of 4 lines of small fuel tanks instead of 4k and a simple 1 stack) only takes 5 days.....

But worse: I seem with only 3 points get already 4 science/day. I've put science gains at 20% (and money at 30%) as I actually like being forced to do science to unlock further. This 4 science per day is & slow building (4 days build would give me a mission to earn around 10 science). Means that science from contracts are just useless. So can I then make the "science gain" are multiplied by 0.2 (or even 0.1). So that "waiting it out" isn't the best way to progress in the tech tree, and doing 2-10 science contracts is best.

The balance is a semi-random middleground between the people who want everything to take months, and the people who want everything to be built in less than a day. KCT is extremely customizable, so if you don't like the balance you are actively encouraged to change it, or even to disable features you don't care for. Four formulas control how long things take to build (3 if you aren't using Procedural Parts): the EffectivePartFormula, ProceduralPartFormula, BPFormula, and BuildRateFormula. All of those are detailed on the Wiki on GitHub that I linked earlier. I don't know enough of what you're looking for in balance to suggest any changes to the formulas.

If the "science per day" you're referencing is the "Development" rate, that isn't science you earn, that's how quickly tech nodes unlock. The "Research" rate gives you science for building vessels, but you have to actively be building things to get that, and it's 0 by default, and it's totally optional to use. At no point can you just timewarp and get science without having to actually do something for it, or at the very least opting-in to receiving science for "nothing", so I don't understand what the problem is.

If you'd like some help with tweaking the balance, give me some clear ideas of what you're looking for and I'll suggest some changes. Ultimately you'll have to tweak things until you get it just right for you (then save that as a Preset and consider sharing it). I know people who turn the Overall Modifier up to 20 so that everything takes months, and I know people who turn off 75% of the features, and then there are people like NathanKell who make it so it takes about 10 years to get the tech to send a person to orbit.

If you'd like some help with tweaking the balance, give me some clear ideas of what you're looking for and I'll suggest some changes.

What options do I need to choose to allow research (free science essentially) to give me 0.04 science a day? its very specific, but it's on the basis that my Scientist do random research and kerbals that are in space for long times gain more science, than a 2 min flight.

Know any good mods for extra skill points based on flight time and amount of parts fixed and amount of research done for reputation, instead of points based on different orbits? I have done about 20 flights with a pilot but he never gets XP which gets him no skill and that's bs

NathanKell who make it so it takes about 10 years to get the tech to send a person to orbit.

10 YEARS!! omg

Sorry, I must have missed this post earlier. When you open the KCT settings in-game and have the option to change the max warp, what does it say? If the thing you're trying to warp to is completing fairly soon then it won't go to the max warp.

I've made a note on GitHub to take a look at the warp down code. I wonder if KAC switched to using the Stock "Warp To" system, or if they just rewrote that code. Either way, I'll try to get warping to take minimal time for the next update.

the KCT settings shows max time warp of 10k x. I can change it as normal, but 10k is the max. And it's not a nearby deadline issue, it caps out at 10k even when the next build is a month away.

While you're at it, a button in the build-simulate-cancel menu to automatically warp through the building and rollout time, jumping right to the pad, would be a wonderful anti-grind measure for when the player doesn't have any need to do any parallel missions.

It's also kind of odd how VAB to launchpad has a rollout time, but SPH to runway doesn't have a taxiing out time.

Was this craft built with an older version of KCT and not launched until now? Can you upload the save file too? I'm wondering if something got messed up in the craft info.

Nothing like that, it was a new game, but you may be right the the save got messed up. I did some further testing with a fresh save and found that there was no problem launching from the standard KSC, but when I launched from the "old" KSC (using Kerbalside/Kerbal Konstructs, I think), I got the explosions. But in this new save, visiting the VAB first seemed to prevent the explosions. (I also opened the KK launchsite selector, maybe that helped.) I can upload the old save if you like, but there are a lot of mods so not sure how useful it would be.

What options do I need to choose to allow research (free science essentially) to give me 0.04 science a day?

Nothing in KCT lets you get science for nothing, but you can get science for building vessels. If you put one point into Research it should give you 0.5 science per 86400 BP (aka, a ship that takes 24 hours to build at 1 BP/s, which is one Earth day and 4 Kerbin days [so 0.125 science per Kerbin day]). If you want something very specific (like 0.04 science), you could replace the ResearchFormula with "0.04/21600" which would give 0.04 science per 21600 BP (or one Kerbin day at 1 BP/s). You only get the science when you complete the construction of a ship, so you have to make sure you're always building things.

Know any good mods for extra skill points based on flight time and amount of parts fixed and amount of research done for reputation, instead of points based on different orbits? I have done about 20 flights with a pilot but he never gets XP which gets him no skill and that's bs

Unfortunately I do not. I'm not a huge fan of how the experience system works either, but I do enough orbital things that I don't worry too much about it. My biggest gripe is that Kerbals have to be recovered to earn XP, which is why I wrote Field Experience to get around that.

the KCT settings shows max time warp of 10k x. I can change it as normal, but 10k is the max. And it's not a nearby deadline issue, it caps out at 10k even when the next build is a month away.

Are you using any mods that alter timewarp at all? I can't figure out why that would happen at all :/

While you're at it, a button in the build-simulate-cancel menu to automatically warp through the building and rollout time, jumping right to the pad, would be a wonderful anti-grind measure for when the player doesn't have any need to do any parallel missions.

I've never been a fan of this idea, but it's been requested enough that I might add it. The biggest hurdle is that time doesn't pass in the editor, but there was some discussion about adding in timewarp to the editor, which would be a requirement for this to work.

It's also kind of odd how VAB to launchpad has a rollout time, but SPH to runway doesn't have a taxiing out time.

I mean, if you want a 30 minute timewarp every time you go to launch a plane, I can make that happen ;) (no joke, I am planning on altering the formulas a bit so that SPH vehicles can have rollout, but it won't be there by default).

The main reason for not having a rollout time for planes is that it would be so short that it's more of a nuisance than anything else. I already find the normal rollout a nuisance :P Consider this: when an airplane goes to take off it takes maybe an hour, and that's at a busy airport (the KSC airport isn't busy, you're the only airplane). When the space shuttle was rolled out to the pad, it was done about a week before launch, took 7 hours or more, and the countdown (and thus checklist of things to check) started 72 hours before launch. That amount of time is way more significant than it is for airplanes, but when I make those changes you're free to add some rollout for planes as well.

Nothing like that, it was a new game, but you may be right the the save got messed up. I did some further testing with a fresh save and found that there was no problem launching from the standard KSC, but when I launched from the "old" KSC (using Kerbalside/Kerbal Konstructs, I think), I got the explosions. But in this new save, visiting the VAB first seemed to prevent the explosions. (I also opened the KK launchsite selector, maybe that helped.) I can upload the old save if you like, but there are a lot of mods so not sure how useful it would be.

That helped. I didn't realize you were using Kerbal Konstructs, as that affects how KCT handles launches in a non-trivial manner. I'm guessing no launch site was set when you built the ship, so when you tried to launch it it had no idea how to launch properly. If you upload the save I can probably fix that ship, but you might be able to fix it yourself by opening that save in-game, pressing the * button next to the ship (with it in storage, not rolled out) and selecting the "Select Launchsite" button. Then use that to set the launch site and it might launch correctly.

When you open the KK launchsite selector it sets the launchsite right away, which KCT notices and then properly sets the launch site. I'm not really sure why it didn't properly set the normal KSC site as the launch site by default, though.

Unfortunately I do not. I'm not a huge fan of how the experience system works either, but I do enough orbital things that I don't worry too much about it. My biggest gripe is that Kerbals have to be recovered to earn XP, which is why I wrote Field Experience to get around that.

I got my self your field experience, which is nicer than Stock, but i guess your next mod mission is to make a mod with calculations based on flight time, a basic multiplier, and then also an engineer fixing stuff adding up to multiply with a constant and that gives xp and every time a scientist tests he builds up his points, it can be just as small as your other modlets!

p.s. make it compatible with field science, i would love that

Edit: i suggest naming it "Kerbal Experience System"

Edited by DiamondExcavater

That helped. I didn't realize you were using Kerbal Konstructs, as that affects how KCT handles launches in a non-trivial manner. I'm guessing no launch site was set when you built the ship, so when you tried to launch it it had no idea how to launch properly. If you upload the save I can probably fix that ship, but you might be able to fix it yourself by opening that save in-game, pressing the * button next to the ship (with it in storage, not rolled out) and selecting the "Select Launchsite" button. Then use that to set the launch site and it might launch correctly.

When you open the KK launchsite selector it sets the launchsite right away, which KCT notices and then properly sets the launch site. I'm not really sure why it didn't properly set the normal KSC site as the launch site by default, though.

Thanks, that seems to have done the trick! Sorry I didn't mention KK before, I didn't know which mods might be of interest and I didn't know how to list them all. (I know do know, using "ckan.exe list").

Are you using any mods that alter timewarp at all? I can't figure out why that would happen at all :/

The only other mod affecting timewarp is BetterTimeWarp. I haven't actually changed any of the settings in that mod, just installed it for the lossless physics warp.

Edit: huh. The default setting for BTW uses the orbital warp increments rather than the KSC increments when looking at the KSC. I guess that's resolved. :)

Edited by Prezombie

i guess your next mod mission is to make a mod with calculations based on flight time, a basic multiplier, and then also an engineer fixing stuff adding up to multiply with a constant and that gives xp and every time a scientist tests he builds up his points, it can be just as small as your other modlets!

We'll see, I've got other projects on the table, not a load of time, and KSP hasn't held my interest for the past month and a half or so :P Once 1.0.5 comes out I'll probably be substantially more motivated to work on new projects.

Thanks, that seems to have done the trick! Sorry I didn't mention KK before, I didn't know which mods might be of interest and I didn't know how to list them all. (I know do know, using "ckan.exe list").

If you have ModuleManager it lists all your mods in the log, which I should have looked at. I didn't even think of Kerbal Konstructs at the time for some reason, so I didn't check to see if it was installed. And now that I think back to it, the times where I was seeing that error was when I added Kerbal Konstructs support. Sorry for not being able to resolve that sooner!

The only other mod affecting timewarp is BetterTimeWarp. I haven't actually changed any of the settings in that mod, just installed it for the lossless physics warp.

Edit: huh. The default setting for BTW uses the orbital warp increments rather than the KSC increments when looking at the KSC. I guess that's resolved. :)

So are things working correctly now? KCT doesn't set a hard limit for max timewarp, it's supposed to just be the maximum possible, but it does depend on the timewarp array being modified correctly. I imagine most mods that affect timewarp just modify that array, so KCT should work with them.

I check this thread every-so-often, just to see what is being done, and I've experienced this bug without warping in the KSC scene. When I have it occur, I'm usually playing with a vessel somewhere not on Kerbin, and get my KCT notification that a rollout is complete and a ship is ready to launch. Using the toolbar, I can go into KCT and launch directly from the flight scene I'm in, taking me to the launchpad with the vessel. Every time, my ships will bounce once loaded, but usually they will bounce over 100m up into the air. I've successfully launched from there before (hey, free delta-v, right) but usually they don't survive the initial bounce up.

I've noticed that the only way to prevent that is to not launch from another scene using KCT, and to go to the space center first, then launch using KCT.

Are you playing with New Horizons, Alternis Kerbol, or any other Kopernicus mods? If so, please let me know which one(s). If not, then that's a bigger problem. The tracking station used to do this without any other mods installed, so if Flight is doing it too then I might have to disable launching from flight as well.

My previous attempt at a fix was to quickly change to the space center and then quickly change to the launch. That might still be doable, but the way I was doing it before was too fast and thus broke a lot of other things (Persistence didn't load before the scene changed again. Mods were not happy with that).

Sorry, I just noticed this request for additional info.

I'm using Outer Planets, which does use Kopernicus. I also have Kopernicus Extended installed. Does that help?

Wow I just realized the price of building points doubles with each point spent. At 30% income 500k is massive, it's like 10-20 contracts (at least)...

Is there a method to "lower" the multiplier? Or otherwise get building points? (Would be awesome if some contracts started to give building points instead of money). Is it in the configs the node formula? So could I change that config line to say:

NodeFormula = 1.5^([N]+1) / 86400

Edited by paul23

Wow I just realized the price of building points doubles with each point spent. At 30% income 500k is massive, it's like 10-20 contracts (at least)...

Is there a method to "lower" the multiplier? Or otherwise get building points? (Would be awesome if some contracts started to give building points instead of money).

You're talking about upgrades correct? The primary way to get them is just by filling out the tech tree (one point per node), I almost never purchase them except in an emergency. You can purchase them with science as well, but that's probably even more expensive as that science could be used for unlocking new tech (and thus also gaining another upgrade).

I do want to have contracts that give upgrades, but I need to write the API first (a major undertaking). Nightingale has expressed some interest in adding support in Contract Configurator for KCT's upgrades once I get that up and running.

If you want to adjust the costs for purchasing upgrades, just alter the UpgradeFundsFormula for points from funds or UpgradeScienceFormula for points from science.

All upgrades do is make things faster, you never need to spend them, so I'd personally recommend just using the points you get naturally through unlocking the tech tree and having slightly longer build times (but more funds).

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I just noticed this request for additional info.

I'm using Outer Planets, which does use Kopernicus. I also have Kopernicus Extended installed. Does that help?

Hmm, Outer Planets doesn't reparent Kerbin, so that's not likely at fault. Sounds like going from flight to a new launch is bugged as well as going from the Tracking Station to a new launch :/ You might just have to switch scenes before launch, unfortunately. It's likely a bug rooted in the Stock game, so hopefully it eventually goes away after a KSP update. I can't think of any good workarounds off the top of my head.

Well I'm also running at 20% tech gains. (So I will *need* to go to eeloo etc). I'm afraid that soon I have to build spacecraft before accepting a mission - and then just praying a mission shows up for the target I planned to go while I'm there.

Well I bumb this: since there seems to be a "breaking" bug inside this extension (or when working with others).

After some time playing my "simulations" (only simulations, not actual flights) tend to lose control. - When I'm in a simulation the game just doesn't recognize any input, apart from input in the simulation "pop up" (clicking it away does not give me control back, and forces me to wait out the simulation). When this bug happens once during a game session it keeps happening for each future simulation run.

Actually I can "click" on each part, however changing the settings doesn't work - it's as if I'm in non physical time warp. Clicking the warp buttons doesn't even do anything though (not speeding up simulation).

I've installed "only" the following six mods:

Kerbal alarm clock

Mechjeb

Kerbal engineering redux

Stagerecovery

KCATS (or whatever that update mod is)

Kerbal construction time.

EDIT: managed to get my first launch to create this bug, pastebin of ksp.log containing only this run.

At line 2500 and onwards you can see the flight log:

[LOG 11:55:21.331] ------------------- initializing flight mode... ------------------
[LOG 11:55:21.518] Loading ship from file: C:/KSP_win/KSP_Data/../saves/Pulli23/Ships/temp.craft
[LOG 11:55:21.960] Mun lander (medium) loaded!
[LOG 11:55:25.306] putting ship to ground: 0
[LOG 11:55:25.313] [Mun lander (medium)]: Ready to Launch - waiting to start physics...
[LOG 11:55:25.328] Crewmember Bill Kerman assigned to Mk1 Command Pod, seat # 0 (crew seat index: 0)
[LOG 11:55:25.329] [FLIGHT GLOBALS]: Switching To Vessel Mun lander (medium) ----------------------
[LOG 11:55:25.330] setting new dominant body: Kerbin
FlightGlobals.mainBody: Kerbin
[LOG 11:55:25.332] Reference Frame: Rotating
[LOG 11:55:25.346] stage manager resuming...
[LOG 11:55:25.347] Vessel assembly complete!
[LOG 11:55:25.348] stage manager starting...
[LOG 11:55:25.349] all systems started
[LOG 11:55:25.370] 10/30/2015 11:55:25 AM,KerbalConstructionTime-KACWrapper,Attempting to Grab KAC Types...
[LOG 11:55:25.372] 10/30/2015 11:55:25 AM,KerbalConstructionTime-KACWrapper,KAC Version:3.4.0.0
[LOG 11:55:25.374] 10/30/2015 11:55:25 AM,KerbalConstructionTime-KACWrapper,Got Assembly Types, grabbing Instance
[LOG 11:55:25.375] 10/30/2015 11:55:25 AM,KerbalConstructionTime-KACWrapper,Got Instance, Creating Wrapper Objects
[LOG 11:55:25.376] 10/30/2015 11:55:25 AM,KerbalConstructionTime-KACWrapper,Getting APIReady Object
[LOG 11:55:25.376] 10/30/2015 11:55:25 AM,KerbalConstructionTime-KACWrapper,Success: True
[LOG 11:55:25.377] 10/30/2015 11:55:25 AM,KerbalConstructionTime-KACWrapper,Getting Alarms Object
[LOG 11:55:25.378] 10/30/2015 11:55:25 AM,KerbalConstructionTime-KACWrapper,Success: True
[LOG 11:55:25.378] 10/30/2015 11:55:25 AM,KerbalConstructionTime-KACWrapper,Getting Alarm State Change Event
[LOG 11:55:25.379] 10/30/2015 11:55:25 AM,KerbalConstructionTime-KACWrapper,Getting Create Method
[LOG 11:55:25.379] 10/30/2015 11:55:25 AM,KerbalConstructionTime-KACWrapper,Getting Delete Method
[LOG 11:55:25.380] 10/30/2015 11:55:25 AM,KerbalConstructionTime-KACWrapper,Getting DrawAlarmAction
[LOG 11:55:25.440] 10/30/2015 11:55:25 AM,KerbalAlarmClock,Searching for KER
[LOG 11:55:25.441] 10/30/2015 11:55:25 AM,KerbalAlarmClock-KERWrapper,Attempting to Grab KER Types...
[LOG 11:55:25.443] 10/30/2015 11:55:25 AM,KerbalAlarmClock-KERWrapper,KER Version:1.0.18.0
[LOG 11:55:25.444] 10/30/2015 11:55:25 AM,KerbalAlarmClock-KERWrapper,Creating Wrapper Objects
[LOG 11:55:25.444] 10/30/2015 11:55:25 AM,KerbalAlarmClock-KERWrapper,Success: True
[LOG 11:55:25.445] 10/30/2015 11:55:25 AM,KerbalAlarmClock-KERWrapper,Success: True
[LOG 11:55:25.445] 10/30/2015 11:55:25 AM,KerbalAlarmClock-KERWrapper,Success: True
[LOG 11:55:25.446] 10/30/2015 11:55:25 AM,KerbalAlarmClock,Successfully Hooked KER
[LOG 11:55:25.447] 10/30/2015 11:55:25 AM,KerbalAlarmClock,Searching for VOID
[LOG 11:55:25.447] 10/30/2015 11:55:25 AM,KerbalAlarmClock-VOIDWrapper,Attempting to Grab VOID Types...
[LOG 11:55:25.464] 10/30/2015 11:55:25 AM,KerbalAlarmClock,Active Vessel unreadable - resetting inqueue flag
[LOG 11:55:25.593] 10/30/2015 11:55:25 AM,KerbalAlarmClock,Vessel Change from 'No Vessel' to 'Mun lander (medium)'
[LOG 11:55:25.600] KerbalEngineer -> ActionMenu was created.
[LOG 11:55:25.601] KerbalEngineer -> ActionMenu->Awake
[LOG 11:55:25.601] KerbalEngineer -> FlightEngineerCore->Awake
[LOG 11:55:25.601] KerbalEngineer -> ActionMenuGui was created.
[LOG 11:55:25.602] KerbalEngineer -> ActionMenu->Start
[LOG 11:55:25.602] KerbalEngineer -> FlightEngineerCore->Start
[LOG 11:55:25.612] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 11:55:25.684] 10/30/2015 11:55:25 AM,KerbalAlarmClock,Loading Textures
[LOG 11:55:25.729] 10/30/2015 11:55:25 AM,KerbalAlarmClock,Loaded Textures
[LOG 11:55:25.744] [ScenarioDestructibles]: Loading... 0 objects registered
[LOG 11:55:25.745] [ScenarioUpgradeableFacilities]: Loading... 0 objects registered
[LOG 11:55:25.746] Loading Depletion Nodes
[LOG 11:55:25.747] DepNodeCount: 0
[LOG 11:55:25.747] Loading Biome Nodes
[LOG 11:55:25.747] BiomeNodeCount: 0
[LOG 11:55:25.748] Loading Planet Nodes
[LOG 11:55:25.748] PlanetNodeCount: 0
[LOG 11:55:25.749] 10/30/2015 11:55:25 AM,KerbalAlarmClock,BaseLoadDone. Alarms Count (Should be 0):0
[LOG 11:55:25.750] 10/30/2015 11:55:25 AM,KerbalAlarmClock,Found 0 Maneuver Nodes to deserialize
[LOG 11:55:25.751] 10/30/2015 11:55:25 AM,KerbalAlarmClock,Found 0 Maneuver Nodes to deserialize
[LOG 11:55:25.751] 10/30/2015 11:55:25 AM,KerbalAlarmClock,ScenarioLoadDone. Alarms Count:2
[ERR 11:55:26.886] Scene::raycastClosestShape: The maximum distance must be greater than zero!

[LOG 11:55:26.887] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 11:55:26.893] 10/30/2015 11:55:26 AM,KerbalAlarmClock,Adding DrawGUI to PostRender Queue
[LOG 11:55:26.895] 10/30/2015 11:55:26 AM,KerbalAlarmClock,Skipping version check
[LOG 11:55:26.961] 10/30/2015 11:55:26 AM,KerbalAlarmClock,Contracts System Ready
[LOG 11:55:27.049] [PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Mun lander (medium)
[LOG 11:55:27.293] Flight State Captured
[LOG 11:55:27.305] Saving Achievements Tree...
[LOG 11:55:27.305] Saving Achievements Tree...
[LOG 11:55:27.306] Saving Achievements Tree...
[LOG 11:55:27.306] Saving Achievements Tree...
[LOG 11:55:27.307] Saving Achievements Tree...
[LOG 11:55:27.423] Game State Saved as persistent
[LOG 11:55:28.097] [Mun lander (medium)]: ground contact! - error: -0.189m
[LOG 11:55:28.099] Unpacking Mun lander (medium)
[LOG 11:56:10.413] [Orbit Targeter]: Target is null
[LOG 11:56:29.388] Game Paused!
[LOG 11:56:33.054] 10/30/2015 11:56:33 AM,KerbalAlarmClock,AppLauncher: Destroying Button-Button Count:9
[WRN 11:56:33.068] [HighLogic]: =========================== Scene Change : From FLIGHT to SPACECENTER (Async) =====================

Edited by paul23

It sounds like a stuck input lock. The log unfortunately wasn't listing which ones were active like it normally does (might be a ModuleManager function). Mechjeb had this issue in the past and it was caused by having a mechjeb window behind the "simulate" button. When you click the button the other mod thinks the mouse is still over it's window and doesn't realize there's a scene change, thus never freeing the lock.

There's a really easy way to tell if that's the case: next time it happen press Alt-F12 and click the "Show Input Locks" button. Either take a screenshot of that or write them down and (assuming they name their locks like they should) I should be able to figure out which mod is causing it. The only locks you should see are two from KCT (KCTSimQS and KCTSimQL, or something similar. They prevent quicksaving/quickloading).

The crafts don't have any mechjeb items to it.

I will try alt-f12, in the hopes it works. (Though any other key doesn't respond, apart from alt-f4).

It's not about the crafts themselves (if it's the issue I expect), it's about the GUIs of the plugins. Showing the input locks doesn't fix it, it just confirms the problem and likely finds the cause so that we can put a bug report in the right place so it gets fixed. You can clear the input locks and confirm that will let you regain control, but that also adds issues because some of the locks are supposed to be there.

Mechjeb was just an example of a mod that has caused similar problems in the past. They fixed their bug though, so I don't expect it's MechJeb this time around. Could be Engineer. Could even be KCT somehow, but there were no errors in the log at all.

I noticed sometimes in simulations a crews doesn't get assigned, which results in an uncontrollable ship. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it, but if a crew is manually selected before entering a simulation it bypasses this problem by ensuring a crew is present when the simulation starts.