[1.4.1] Kerbal Construction Time 1.4.0.69 (2018-03-24) - Unrapid Planned Assembly

magico13

I just started a game with KCT and the KSC Switcher mod (among others).  Whenever I switch the KSC to a different location I lose all of my stored rockets/space planes, even when I switch back to the location they should be stored at.  Is this normal behaviour?

8 hours ago, democedes said:

I just started a game with KCT and the KSC Switcher mod (among others).  Whenever I switch the KSC to a different location I lose all of my stored rockets/space planes, even when I switch back to the location they should be stored at.  Is this normal behaviour?

Did you select a KSC in the map view prior to building things? If you didn't, then all your ships that you built were added to the "Stock" KSC (when they finished building you would have gotten a message saying to check the Stock KSC). With KSC Switcher there's no way to select the Stock KSC, because it doesn't exist anywhere. Those vessels are effectively lost (we can do some save file editing to move them pretty easily though).

Every KSC has it's own build lists, vessel inventories, and upgrade points. You can specialize one in rocket building and another in plane construction, for example. You just have to make sure to select a KSC when you first start the game, and minimally before you build anything.

5 hours ago, magico13 said:

Did you select a KSC in the map view prior to building things? If you didn't, then all your ships that you built were added to the "Stock" KSC (when they finished building you would have gotten a message saying to check the Stock KSC). With KSC Switcher there's no way to select the Stock KSC, because it doesn't exist anywhere. Those vessels are effectively lost (we can do some save file editing to move them pretty easily though).

Every KSC has it's own build lists, vessel inventories, and upgrade points. You can specialize one in rocket building and another in plane construction, for example. You just have to make sure to select a KSC when you first start the game, and minimally before you build anything.

Yes!  That is exactly what happened. Thank you.  I'm just starting a game so losing my first two planes is no big deal.  I love easy fixes.

59 minutes ago, democedes said:

Yes!  That is exactly what happened. Thank you.  I'm just starting a game so losing my first two planes is no big deal.  I love easy fixes.

I'll look into coming up with a workaround for that issue. It crops up more often than I'd like and there's probably an easy fix I can do so that it's not an issue anymore :)

I love this mod, it's great. I have one concern though....I commonly build craft that I land and can reuse, but this mod doesn't allow me to reuse them. For example, I build fighter jets then I go fire a couple missiles and land back at KSC to recover the vessel. I'm expecting to have the fighter jet back in my storage, but this isn't the case. So my suggestion is:

To add a feature which allows us to "Repair" a craft and allow it to be put back into storage, after vessel recovery.

@Tortoise that feature actually already exists! It's the 9th thing in the feature list on the first post. All you have to do is open the KCT menu after landing the craft and you can recover it into the storage directly, then edit that craft to refuel and fix things. But be warned that KSP doesn't like going from in-flight vessels back to craft files and it can cause save file corruption. KCT automatically makes a backup prior to even attempting the conversion that you can load later if you find it doesn't work, and often loading that backup and trying again results in it working correctly the second time.

Also note that planes get flipped weirdly when you recover them this way and you have to go into the editor to reorient them before launch. Repairs and refuels have to be done manually, though there's a button that sets all fuel tanks back to their default fuel values to aid in refueling.

1 hour ago, magico13 said:

@Tortoise that feature actually already exists! It's the 9th thing in the feature list on the first post. All you have to do is open the KCT menu after landing the craft and you can recover it into the storage directly, then edit that craft to refuel and fix things. But be warned that KSP doesn't like going from in-flight vessels back to craft files and it can cause save file corruption. KCT automatically makes a backup prior to even attempting the conversion that you can load later if you find it doesn't work, and often loading that backup and trying again results in it working correctly the second time.

Also note that planes get flipped weirdly when you recover them this way and you have to go into the editor to reorient them before launch. Repairs and refuels have to be done manually, though there's a button that sets all fuel tanks back to their default fuel values to aid in refueling.

Ah alright, thanks for clarifying that. Great mod!

Forgive me if I've missed info on this question, I lost alot of subscriptions when the forum changed. Anyways, I upgraded my 1.0.4 game to 1.0.5 AND did the 64 bit community hack. I had a craft in the build que when I did. Probably a bad idea, I know. Anyways, now that it's complete I'm getting errors. As soon as I click the VAB button the KCT window shrinks down to just a grey bar and I get this spammed in the log:

[EXC 22:00:19.657] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    ShipConstruction.GetPartCosts (.ConfigNode partNode, .AvailablePart aP, System.Single& dryCost, System.Single& fuelCost)
    KerbalConstructionTime.KCT_Utilities.GetPartCostFromNode (.ConfigNode part, Boolean includeFuel)
    KerbalConstructionTime.KCT_Utilities.GetTotalVesselCost (.ConfigNode vessel, Boolean includeFuel)
    KerbalConstructionTime.KCT_BuildListVessel.GetTotalCost ()
    KerbalConstructionTime.KCT_MathParsing.ParseReconditioningFormula (KerbalConstructionTime.KCT_BuildListVessel vessel, Boolean isReconditioning)
    KerbalConstructionTime.KCT_Recon_Rollout..ctor (KerbalConstructionTime.KCT_BuildListVessel vessel, RolloutReconType type, System.String id, System.String launchSite)
    KerbalConstructionTime.KCT_GUI.DrawBuildListWindow (Int32 windowID)
    UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID)
    UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)
[ERR 22:00:19.657] GUI Error: You are pushing more GUIClips than you are popping. Make sure they are balanced)

It seems I can't even exit the game at that point, I have to alt+F4 out. The other bits of KCT did seem to be working, so I'm guessing something is buggered with this one craft one way or another. Is there any way I can simply hack it out of the save file, or some such?

10 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

It seems I can't even exit the game at that point, I have to alt+F4 out. The other bits of KCT did seem to be working, so I'm guessing something is buggered with this one craft one way or another. Is there any way I can simply hack it out of the save file, or some such?

That usually happens when a ship is missing a part that it used to have. The development version of KCT has a check for that and will just disable access to that vessel instead of totally breaking, if you want to try that out, though I'm actively working on it so things are bound to change a lot in the next day or so. If you want to just extract that ship out of the save file then open up the save and search for KCTVessel. Find the one that corresponds to the messed up ship and just delete the entire node. It's big, since the whole craft file is saved in there. Make sure not to accidentally delete anything else. You might also make a note of the total vessel cost (listed under the KCTVessel node simply as "cost") and add that to your funds.

Are rover wheels supposed to be repaired when recovered to the SPH? They show as fixed in the SPH, but when relaunched they are still broken. Is this intentional behaviour, a bug with my install or an enhancement opportunity? :wink:

8 minutes ago, Chonner said:

Are rover wheels supposed to be repaired when recovered to the SPH? They show as fixed in the SPH, but when relaunched they are still broken. Is this intentional behaviour, a bug with my install or an enhancement opportunity? :wink:

They're not in the default modules to be replaced. If you want to take the time to add them and send me the config I can add them to the defaults, otherwise you might just need to send out an engineer/replace them manually. Here's the tutorial that walks you through the process of identifying the module and figuring out what needs changed: link.

1 hour ago, magico13 said:

They're not in the default modules to be replaced. If you want to take the time to add them and send me the config I can add them to the defaults, otherwise you might just need to send out an engineer/replace them manually. Here's the tutorial that walks you through the process of identifying the module and figuring out what needs changed: link.

Career mode with no L3 Engineers yet, so was having to the replace them and suffer the couple of hours edit build time on my little KSC Science Rover. :( (I guess I should just drive a bit slower :P )

However I have followed the instructions and added the following to my KCT_ModuleTemplates.cfg and confirmed it works, a pretty simple one it seems. Thanks for the clear instructions. 

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleWheel
	isDamaged = False
}

While I was there I was also looking to see if it is possible to reset the animation state of the MysteryGoo as that irritates me ever so slightly, but diff'ing a clean and recovered&reset one revealed about 20 changes and haven't managed to work out which one it is yet. :confused:

Edited by Chonner

2 hours ago, Chonner said:

While I was there I was also looking to see if it is possible to reset the animation state of the MysteryGoo as that irritates me ever so slightly, but diff'ing a clean and recovered&reset one revealed about 20 changes and haven't managed to work out which one it is yet

Science equipment itself is already reset, but the animations should be too. I'll look into adding that one myself, so don't worry about it too much. When I find it I'll post back here :) Thanks for taking the time to figure out wheels, seems like it's a pretty simple one to add!

Edit: Well, I figured it out but it possibly has larger reaching effects. The module is ModuleAnimateGeneric, which a lot of parts use, meaning all animations that use that module would get reset. I'm going to see if I can easily come up with a way of defining which parts to reset the module on (so you specify the goo and materials bay parts in the KCT_ModuleTemplates.cfg file as well) so that way it doesn't reset everything.

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
	animTime = 0
}

Edit 2: In the latest dev version I've added the ability to restrict which parts a particular module reset works on. It won't hurt anything to add it into the file now though. The "parts =" line defines which parts it works on and you can put as many or as few as you want (comma separated, no spaces). Omitting the line means it will be applied to all parts.

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
	parts = GooExperiment,science.module
	animTime = 0
}

Edited by magico13

12 hours ago, magico13 said:

That usually happens when a ship is missing a part that it used to have. The development version of KCT has a check for that and will just disable access to that vessel instead of totally breaking, if you want to try that out, though I'm actively working on it so things are bound to change a lot in the next day or so. If you want to just extract that ship out of the save file then open up the save and search for KCTVessel. Find the one that corresponds to the messed up ship and just delete the entire node. It's big, since the whole craft file is saved in there. Make sure not to accidentally delete anything else. You might also make a note of the total vessel cost (listed under the KCTVessel node simply as "cost") and add that to your funds.

Ok, tried dev build 168, no joy. Got the "Cannot load KCT data, your game is borked" message. Did confirm that the vessel in question is missing a part. The game was kind enough to tell me what it was so I can probably swap it back over from an old install to salvage/scrap the ship, but I'm more than willing to keep it borked for a little while if it'll help your development. Log is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rrt61pyyakwbxzs/KSP.log?dl=0 

As an aside, I notice you're using the same Jenkins thing as MechJeb. What does "failed build" mean?

@CatastrophicFailure Funnily enough the error message popped up because the message telling you there's something wrong with the ship tried to use a skin that wasn't valid. Build 169 should fix that, so you shouldn't see the "your game is totally screwed" message anymore. Build 169 should pop up a message letting you know the stored ship is missing a part (or a few) and provide the option to ignore it or delete the vessel. If you delete it, you should get the funds returned. Currently it only pops up once even if multiple ships have parts missing and it doesn't tell you which parts are messed up. I'll probably change that tomorrow so it writes a file listing all the vessels and all the messed up parts and I'll see if I can get it to do one message per ship.

Jenkins is a build server software. Sarbian uses it as well. CKAN uses Travis, which does basically the same thing but isn't hosted on your own computer. My Jenkins build server is the same one that runs my (currently totally broken thanks to mono) website and stores a bunch of my files and it sits on my desk behind my right monitor. What it does is automatically builds the source code into a .dll whenever I push a commit to GitHub. Makes it super easy to have public betas, since I never have to touch anything to release them. If you look at the other projects available on there, there's also projects for KCT and StageRecovery that build the .dll from the source and create a .zip file automatically so that all I have to do when making a release is grab that zip and upload it to all the sites I host things at. I could probably integrate KerbalStuff and GitHub Releases into the build script so that whenever I push a release build it automatically updates those, but I like doing that manually for now. Those projects only get built when I push a commit to the "master" branch on github. I do all my development work in a development branch which is what the "KCT Development" and "SR Development" projects watch for changes. It's super handy and cuts down on the amount of work I have to do for releases and the amount of things I can mess up (I messed up a few SR releases pretty badly before setting up Jenkins)

Failed builds are just builds that for whatever reason couldn't compile. I generally test compiling code before committing it, so they're infrequent. They most frequently happen when there's a KSP update and I update the .dlls I'm referencing on my desktop but not on the server (so it builds code for 1.0.5 against 1.0.4's .dlls, for instance). Other times they fail because of connection issues with connecting to GitHub. Other times it's because I messed something up on my server.

Brilliant! Seems to have worked exactly as it should have, was able to delete the bad vessel, the test vessel I also had in the que finished, rolled out, & "launched" properly

Code worked perfectly, and a computer lesson to boot!

Now to remember why I needed a 10-ton commsat in the first place...:blink:

5 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Now to remember why I needed a 10-ton commsat in the first place...:blink:

Lots of GX-128 antennas in orbit around Kerbol at 2.8Mm?  So that you can reach Eeloo, Vall, Laythe and the currently active vessel in RemoteTech?

Or at least, that's what usually drives up my payload mass.

On the KCT side, I've gone with a 5x longer build time in my current game, as well as boosting the maximum refurbishment time by a factor of 3x.  I may boost the effect of "parts from inventory".  The result is a slower-paced game in some respects, but it meshes well with the timing of launch windows, and general progress due to waiting on satellite scans (SCANSat).

Anyone want to do me a huge favor any test out a development version of KCT? I think it's ready for release but I'd like a few more eyes on it before sending it off into the wild, especially since some of the features were programmed way back in August and haven't been touched since then.

Major changes:
- Multiple launchpads! You can purchase additional launchpads so you can launch multiple things in short succession (each pad has its own rollout and reconditioning). Each one is upgraded independently (they all start at level 0) and there's a new formula to control the cost of building a new pad.
- Kerbal stats added to several formulas. [PiK], [EnK], [ScK] are the number of pilot, engineer, and scientist kerbals currently at the KSC. [PiL], [EnL], and [ScL] are the total number of pilot, engineer, and scientist levels at the KSC. Using this you can set build times to be based on how many engineers you've hired, for example, or tech unlock speeds based on the number of scientists.
- Warnings when ships are missing parts (from uninstalled mods) rather than breaking the game. Allows you to safely remove them from the save and provides a list of all missing parts in the save folder.
- Improved support for KSCSwitcher. No longer requires changing the KSC when starting a new game. Upgrades can be shared between KSCs differently (normally each KSC gets its own upgrades, with this you can make them all share a single upgrade pool). Each KSC can have its own separate launchpads.
- All time entry fields (simulation length or UT for example) now support y,d,h,m,s instead of only a colon formatted option. So to have a 3 day, 15 minute simulations you can enter "3d 15m" instead of "3:00:15:00"
- Delay before moving to orbit in simulations is adjustable
- Wheels, Goo and material bays are properly reset on recovery to storage
- Tech node research cancellation must be confirmed before being cancelled
- "Warp To" uses the stock Warp To functionality. Ends faster, but doesn't reach as high of speeds for short timespans

If you're gonna run it on your main save, back up the save first. The launchpads change was save breaking for a while. I'm pretty sure I fixed that though.

Get the development version from here (grab the .dll from "Last Successful Artifacts"): http://magico13.net:8080/job/Kerbal%20Construction%20Time%20Development/

Edited by magico13

I made a gif showing an extremely brief overview of how the multiple launchpads work, in case anyone is interested. I also fixed a few bugs regarding the "damage state" of the launchpads. Some more testing and things should be ready to release soon.

https://gfycat.com/PiercingEasyAnglerfish

Edited by magico13
gfy's embed HUGE

On 1/1/2016 at 6:53 PM, magico13 said:

- Kerbal stats added to several formulas. [PiK], [EnK], [ScK] are the number of pilot, engineer, and scientist kerbals currently at the KSC. [PiL], [EnL], and [ScL] are the total number of pilot, engineer, and scientist levels at the KSC. Using this you can set build times to be based on how many engineers you've hired, for example, or tech unlock speeds based on the number of scientists.

Interesting. To clarify: if I have 3 engineers, but two of them are in space, is that equivalent to having one engineer?

14 minutes ago, skykooler said:

Interesting. To clarify: if I have 3 engineers, but two of them are in space, is that equivalent to having one engineer?

Yes, it only counts kerbals who have the status "Available", aka those at the KSC. Engineers that are off in space can't really contribute to the construction of a vessel.

I could see arguments for scientist kerbals still providing a benefit to tech research when they're off in space, so I'll probably add another set of variables for all living kerbals, just to provide options :)

I installed this mod but it wont let me launch or toggle RCS or SAS on at all while on the launch pad.

Help ??

EDIT:

I just tried it with my Antares w/ Cygnus replica which is unmanned I can launch and turn on RCS and SAS but the one I was launching before was a station with only Jeb in it as the pilot.

Don't know the problem.

Edited by NateDaBeast

6 minutes ago, NateDaBeast said:

I installed this mod but it wont let me launch or toggle RCS or SAS on at all while on the launch pad.

Help ??

That sounds like you're missing a command pod/probe core. Is this during a simulation or an actual launch (build -> timewarp -> rollout -> launch)? I highly suggest grabbing the log file (read the following post, it contains the log file locations and other info I'll need) and uploading it somewhere so I can view it. Without the log I can pretty much only guess at things, so you'll have to be thorough with your reproduction steps.

Edit: Regarding your edit: was Jeb actually in a command pod? The hitchhiker module and several mod parts don't provide the ModuleCommand module. I'm pretty sure KCT doesn't warn about missing a control source.

Edited by magico13