[1.4.1] Kerbal Construction Time 1.4.0.69 (2018-03-24) - Unrapid Planned Assembly

magico13

41 minutes ago, ThePhoenixSol said:

ummm, where would i download this 1.2_1 dll...... and what do i do about magic core? i have done all i can think of with what i can find, and no result.

Dev build should be addressed in that forum. You'll get all the help you need for installing there. :)

@magico13 , I wanted to ask, does KCT support Extraplanetary Launchpads addon, or vice versa? I'm wondering if these two addons are compatible together, and if building times are balanced between the two (logically, building in space or on other planets should take much longer than back at home).

1 hour ago, aluc24 said:

@magico13 , I wanted to ask, does KCT support Extraplanetary Launchpads addon, or vice versa? I'm wondering if these two addons are compatible together, and if building times are balanced between the two (logically, building in space or on other planets should take much longer than back at home).

A few times people have volunteered to create a Preset that has them line up, but nobody has done it. KCT provides all the tools to have the build times line up for anyone that wants to take the time to make it work. Check out the wiki to learn about Presets and the formulas if you're interested. You'd need to change the BP Formula and the Effective Part Formula to be mass based, but that's easy to do, getting them to be reasonably synced is harder, but if you take the time to read through the algorithms used internally in EPL then I don't think it'd honestly be that hard. If you, or someone else, does it I'd gladly include it either in the base download, as an extra optional download, or recommend it to be included with EPL (since other mods can include KCT Presets with their downloads)

Edited by magico13

2 minutes ago, magico13 said:

A few times people have volunteered to create a Preset that has them line up, but nobody has done it. KCT provides all the tools to have the build times line up for anyone that wants to take the time to make it work. Check out the wiki to learn about Presets and the formulas if you're interested. You'd need to change the BP Formula and the Effective Part Formula to be mass based, but that's easy to do.

I see, but wouldn't it be easier (and more sensible) to modify Extraplanetary Launchpad build ratios to fit with KCT? KCT is already very well balanced, while EL seems to be a bit too fast in building stuff.

3 hours ago, aluc24 said:

I see, but wouldn't it be easier (and more sensible) to modify Extraplanetary Launchpad build ratios to fit with KCT? KCT is already very well balanced, while EL seems to be a bit too fast in building stuff.

More sensible maybe, but probably not easier unless EPL offers a method to change the times in a config.

4 hours ago, Garibaldi2257 said:

I don't know, I'd think free fall would be easier to work in.  at least to move all the heavy stuff to where it needs to go, no need for cranes and things like that.  all depends on what level of technology you're envisioning.

Are you writing in the wrong topic?

6 hours ago, Garibaldi2257 said:

no.  I just have a different opinion about the build time ratios between EL and KCT.  I think ELs are too short, but I do believe that if all the materials are available, orbital construction would actually be easier than ground based construction.

EPL has ground based construction too and it's not any different in terms of speed. And there's only a handful of people building the rockets (the Kerbals you put up). I guess if you had a really well stocked workshop and a huge amount of space it'd be reasonable to think a handful of people could build a rocket from raw materials, but it's fair to assume that should take a while. Easier conditions for assembly doesn't necessarily equate to faster creation.

With that said, I don't really care either way. I know KCT provides the tools to balance times with EPL's but I don't know that the inverse exists since I haven't played with EPL in a while. The ideal system would probably make EPL's stuff take longer and change KCT to use formulas that line up more 1:1.

I've played very little with EPL, but I would simply make it very, very slow, so that it would be always slower than construction at KSC. I don't want to alter KCT to be based on mass since it's unrealistic and would break my carefully balanced settings.

5 minutes ago, garwel said:

I've played very little with EPL, but I would simply make it very, very slow, so that it would be always slower than construction at KSC. I don't want to alter KCT to be based on mass since it's unrealistic and would break my carefully balanced settings.

How did you make EPL slow? Is there a config, after all?

11 minutes ago, aluc24 said:

How did you make EPL slow? Is there a config, after all?

No, I mean I would do that--if I figured out how. I haven't progressed that far in my current playthrough, but I bet there is a way to adjust it, even if you have to dive deep into config files.

24 minutes ago, garwel said:

No, I mean I would do that--if I figured out how. I haven't progressed that far in my current playthrough, but I bet there is a way to adjust it, even if you have to dive deep into config files.

Oh, sorry, I misread it. Agreed, I would also like it to be very slow, that would make a lot more sense

10 hours ago, magico13 said:

EPL has ground based construction too and it's not any different in terms of speed. And there's only a handful of people building the rockets (the Kerbals you put up). I guess if you had a really well stocked workshop and a huge amount of space it'd be reasonable to think a handful of people could build a rocket from raw materials, but it's fair to assume that should take a while. Easier conditions for assembly doesn't necessarily equate to faster creation.

With that said, I don't really care either way. I know KCT provides the tools to balance times with EPL's but I don't know that the inverse exists since I haven't played with EPL in a while. The ideal system would probably make EPL's stuff take longer and change KCT to use formulas that line up more 1:1.

Fair enough, I've never used it for ground based construction.  and sorry, I didn't mean to derail your thread.

1 hour ago, Garibaldi2257 said:

and sorry, I didn't mean to derail your thread

It's fine. It's not even derailed, since balance, and balance with other mods in mind, is definitely a relevant topic :)

I'm not sure if this has been fixed in a future version of KCT, but I'm using a version for 1.1.3 now and I can't see to reuse decouplers from a recovered craft, the staging doesn't work for it and there's no decouple option in the right-click menu.

Jgfq0ht.jpg

New decouplers work fine so it's an issue with ones that have been reused. I think because the decoupler has already been activated, KCT doesn't reset it once it gets relaunched again.

3 hours ago, yorshee said:

I'm not sure if this has been fixed in a future version of KCT, but I'm using a version for 1.1.3 now and I can't see to reuse decouplers from a recovered craft, the staging doesn't work for it and there's no decouple option in the right-click menu.

New decouplers work fine so it's an issue with ones that have been reused. I think because the decoupler has already been activated, KCT doesn't reset it once it gets relaunched again.

Still happens in 1.2.1.

A variation of this bug exists in KIS/KAS too:

1. Activate the decoupler.

2. Attach a part to the decoupler with an electric screwdriver.

3. Try to activate the decoupler again.

4ezdCgp.png?1

I'd treat this as a feature, not a bug. Decouplers use explosive charges to activate the detachment mechanism. They will probably be too damaged after it's activation to make them reusable. Just remove the old one and add new. Or try to use docking ports instead — they are definitely reusable.

Anyway, you can't just attach something using KAS and expect it to work again. There's nothing left in the decoupler to decouple again. Explosive charge is used, and detachment mechanism felt apart. Now it's just a piece of junk.

2 hours ago, Eklykti said:

I'd treat this as a feature, not a bug. Decouplers use explosive charges to activate the detachment mechanism. They will probably be too damaged after it's activation to make them reusable. Just remove the old one and add new. Or try to use docking ports instead — they are definitely reusable.

Anyway, you can't just attach something using KAS and expect it to work again. There's nothing left in the decoupler to decouple again. Explosive charge is used, and detachment mechanism felt apart. Now it's just a piece of junk.

In KCT it should reset them though. It should be easy enough to add it to the list of things to reset. In fact, that list is easily altered by the user. 

https://github.com/magico13/KCT/wiki/Tutorial:-Adding-New-Modules-to-be-Reset-on-Recovery-to-Storage

3 hours ago, DiEvAl said:

Still happens in 1.2.1.

A variation of this bug exists in KIS/KAS too:

1. Activate the decoupler.

2. Attach a part to the decoupler with an electric screwdriver.

3. Try to activate the decoupler again.

4ezdCgp.png?1

You're in the wrong forum for reporting bugs with the beta of the 1.2.x version. Please report bugs with the dev builds in the dev forum.

On 02/11/2016 at 0:35 PM, magico13 said:

Just to add my thought, I think it would depend on exactly what was sent to space to be constructed. If it was a few preconstructed sections which could just connect together and bolt on plug and play style then the orbital construction could be quicker but if you had to construct an engine from basic parts in orbit for example that would take forever if it were possible at all. Plus, as you say, on the ground you would have hundreds of technicians and in orbit only a handful.

I would imagine there should be a lot of construction happening on the ground (to make large preconstructed sections) which would increase ground based construction plus the additional time to bolt it all together in orbit.

Myself I would probably play this sort of scenario with KAS/KIS/KCT and launch payloads which were premade sections of a craft that I then connected using KAS/KIS on EVA in orbit.

Actually that sounds fun, I`ll try that when I get back to my machine :wink:

And, as always, thanks for your work on KCT, the game would not be the same without it.

57 minutes ago, paul23 said:

So reading through this: KCT works in 1.2.1?

There's a dev version here that does. It sounds as if it's as stable as ever, but there are a few quirks I wanted to try to sort out before a full release.