[1.4.1] Kerbal Construction Time 1.4.0.69 (2018-03-24) - Unrapid Planned Assembly

magico13

FYI, the experimental version can eat kerbals, they get listed as dead in the save file after you put them aboard for launch.

Hey, I'm getting the issue where KCT eats my kerbals. When I recover crafts through KCT, sometimes the craft will recover without a recovery timer and whatever Kerbal was in the craft will be listed as missing or Dead. I'm running KSP 1.2.1 and the 1.2_3 dll. Here is what I think is the relevant excerpt of my output_log:

Exception handling event onVesselRecovered in class VesselRecovery:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at VesselRecovery.OnVesselRecovered (.ProtoVessel pv, Boolean quick) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EventData`2[ProtoVessel,System.Boolean].Fire (.ProtoVessel data0, Boolean data1) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at VesselRecovery.OnVesselRecovered (.ProtoVessel pv, Boolean quick) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EventData`2[ProtoVessel,System.Boolean].Fire (.ProtoVessel data0, Boolean data1) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
EventData`2:Fire(ProtoVessel, Boolean)
VesselRetrieval:recoverVessel(Vessel)
VesselRetrieval:recoverVessels()
<OnLevelLoaded>c__Iterator46:MoveNext()
UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

(Filename:  Line: -1)

[KCT] Removing funds: 10781.318359375, New total: 45806.593775442

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

Exception handling event onVesselRecovered in class KCT_Events:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KerbalConstructionTime.KCT_Recon_Rollout..ctor (KerbalConstructionTime.KCT_BuildListVessel vessel, RolloutReconType type, System.String id, System.String launchSite) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at KerbalConstructionTime.KCT_Events.vesselRecoverEvent (.ProtoVessel v, Boolean unknownAsOfNow) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KerbalConstructionTime.KCT_Recon_Rollout..ctor (KerbalConstructionTime.KCT_BuildListVessel vessel, RolloutReconType type, System.String id, System.String launchSite) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at KerbalConstructionTime.KCT_Events.vesselRecoverEvent (.ProtoVessel v, Boolean unknownAsOfNow) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
EventData`2:Fire(ProtoVessel, Boolean)
VesselRetrieval:recoverVessel(Vessel)
VesselRetrieval:recoverVessels()
<OnLevelLoaded>c__Iterator46:MoveNext()
UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

(Filename:  Line: -1)

FF: adding mission summary for vessel ProtoVessel

FF: adding mission summary for kerbal Jebediah Kerman, crew=True

FF: vessel recovered Bumblebee

FF: kerbal Jebediah Kerman ended a mission

FF: hall of fame refreshed

Flight State Captured

[ProtoCrewMember Warning]: Crewmember Jebediah Kerman found assigned but no vessels reference him. Jebediah Kerman set as missing.

FF: kerbal status change: Jebediah Kerman from Assigned to Missing at time 2417967.66404317

FF: hall of fame refreshed

Saving Achievements Tree...

Saving Achievements Tree...

[KCT] Writing to persistence.

[KCT] Saving KSC Stock

FF: saving hall of fame scenario module (at 2417967.66404317)

FF: saving hall of fame (191 logbook entries)

FF: hall of fame saved in 0ms

[MessageSystem] Save Messages

Game State Saved to saves/KSC Airlines/persistent

[UIMasterController]: ShowUI

Here is the full log file

Let me know what you think...

8 hours ago, Antonio432 said:

Yeah, I'm too impatient.

The dev builds are pretty stable but I wanted to do a bit more with them before release. Nothing that should break anything if you use the dev build now. I've been really preoccupied with real life stuff, and honestly I think I won't be able to support 1.3 myself.

5 hours ago, magico13 said:

The dev builds are pretty stable but I wanted to do a bit more with them before release. Nothing that should break anything if you use the dev build now. I've been really preoccupied with real life stuff, and honestly I think I won't be able to support 1.3 myself.

Could you please check if kerbal konstructs ist working with the development build? I changed the namespace (kerbalkonstructs:Core:LaunchSiteManager) and made an alias, but I have no idea if it's working right now.

@magico13, take your time.  I and many other know that it will be worth the wait.  In the mean time, if I can make a suggestion to any who'll be asking "when will it be ready" questions:

Play KSP.  When you've launched a rocket, advance time 7 days for another small rocket launch or up to 2 - 4 months for a big launch.  Not perfect, but it is a decent second while you wait for the real thing.

Does the 1.3.4 version of KCT work with KSP 1.2.1?

Asking for my son, whenever we install it into the Gameplay folder it doesn't show up when we launch KSP. Is there some trick to getting it to install on 1.2.1?

TIA

Edited by StupidAndy

On 27.11.2016. at 5:51 AM, magico13 said:

Thanks, just instruct me how to use it, what files do I drop and where ?

4 minutes ago, Schmonzo said:

but doesn't it kill kerbals?

Didn't kill anyone for me yet, through I didn't fly manned space missions yet, but there must be no difference in recovering planes and rovers and recovering space capsules.

Magico13, I am curious if I could get your help making a mod.  Your mod is very similar to the idea and I figure you could offer some insights as to overall changes necessary to make my idea possible.

The concept is to replace the construction with parts created in a separate game such that they're imported via a json text file.  So besides part importing, I'll also need to keep track of an inventory in KSP, as well as replenishing that inventory on craft recovery.  Most of the work seems done in Kerbal Construction time.  But maybe you can help.  And I would like your blessing to use your code.

The other game in question is Factorio.

On 10.12.2016 at 0:06 AM, Mylon said:

I'll also need to keep track of an inventory in KSP, as well as replenishing that inventory on craft recovery.

If you manage to come up with a way of accomplishing that in KSP 1.2+, you'd do all KCT users a huge favor in the process. Because that functionality seems to be gone for good unless someone steps up and releases Magico from maintainership / leads KCT into the 1.3+ future...

23 minutes ago, MaxRebo said:

If you manage to come up with a way of accomplishing that in KSP 1.2+, you'd do all KCT users a huge favor in the process. Because that functionality seems to be gone for good unless someone steps up and releases Magico from maintainership / leads KCT into the 1.3+ future...

Well that's nice to know. :(

Modding seems a lot more involved in KSP compared to Factorio, considering the need to compile a dll.  I'm not familiar with the KSP ecosystem so I'm not sure what changed in 1.2+ that broke KCT.  That's why I'm hoping someone can bring me up to speed.

1 hour ago, Mylon said:

Well that's nice to know. :(

Modding seems a lot more involved in KSP compared to Factorio, considering the need to compile a dll.  I'm not familiar with the KSP ecosystem so I'm not sure what changed in 1.2+ that broke KCT.  That's why I'm hoping someone can bring me up to speed.

it wasn't 1.2 that completely broke it, there's a dev version that works really well.  @magico13 removed the inventory code because it was according to him a horrible mess, and he wanted to redo it from the ground up.  if he does end up doing that, I'll probably ask for a feature request of being able to select individual pieces from inventory because I love KRnD, so I'd love to be able to select my upgraded engines and fuel tanks before the basic ones.

3 hours ago, Garibaldi2257 said:

there's a dev version that works really well.  @magico13 removed the inventory code because it was according to him a horrible mess, and he wanted to redo it from the ground up.

I was referring to the part inventory only. And the inventory is gone because 1.2 broke it beyond repair - the code being a "horrible mess" was more of a general (if related) observation.

I actually have a functional inventory, but there's no UI. It's designed so that upgraded parts (and procedural parts and related part mods) are all stored separately as their full versions. Hence the need for a UI, since you need to be able to select individual parts out of the inventory. It even has the option of overriding stock funds, hence more UI to let you sell parts. Other than the UI, I need to still add configuration and individual part tracking. The old one wasn't designed for individual parts, and 1.2 added stock upgradeable part support which was definitely not going to work under the old system. Tweakscale and procedural parts were hackily supported, and now it'll be natively.

I honestly should just release the dev version of KCT as the release. I wanted to fix some things with vessel recovery since the inventory isn't in and that's the only way to save time right now, and I just haven't sat down to do it.

Also, I don't recommend json, just use the ConfigNode structure since it's native to KSP and everything already uses it. Oh wait, you mean an actual other game. C# has deserializers for XML and JSON so that would work. Adding them into my inventory system wouldn't probably be too hard. Are we talking basic stock parts only? If so that's trivial and all we need are a list of part names and counts. Modded parts get trickier, since we might not be able to get a part prefab if the mod isn't loaded, meaning we can't turn a name into a full part. In that case you could just not import them. KCT's old inventory would be fine with that but the new one needs more stuff from the part itself.

I'm not looking to design parts, only provide a stock.  Perhaps I'm not familiar enough with KSP (like stock upgradeable parts), but I'm only looking to keep track of part count and that's it.  So { {name=partname, count=count} } should be enough.  A few other parts might be treated differently, like procedural parts using raw metal instead of a specific part, but that will be on the KSP side rather than the data exchange file.

Part of the mod package will probably include a recipe generation utility that parses KSP parts to generate Factorio recipes so this mod will support a variety of KSP mods.

Back to the subject of KCT, you may be able to simplify the UI by forcing obsolete parts to be refurbished to their new version so you don't have to handle selection of old versions.

13 hours ago, magico13 said:

I actually have a functional inventory, but there's no UI. It's designed so that upgraded parts (and procedural parts and related part mods) are all stored separately as their full versions. Hence the need for a UI, since you need to be able to select individual parts out of the inventory. It even has the option of overriding stock funds, hence more UI to let you sell parts. Other than the UI, I need to still add configuration and individual part tracking. The old one wasn't designed for individual parts, and 1.2 added stock upgradeable part support which was definitely not going to work under the old system. Tweakscale and procedural parts were hackily supported, and now it'll be natively.

I honestly should just release the dev version of KCT as the release. I wanted to fix some things with vessel recovery since the inventory isn't in and that's the only way to save time right now, and I just haven't sat down to do it.

Also, I don't recommend json, just use the ConfigNode structure since it's native to KSP and everything already uses it. Oh wait, you mean an actual other game. C# has deserializers for XML and JSON so that would work. Adding them into my inventory system wouldn't probably be too hard. Are we talking basic stock parts only? If so that's trivial and all we need are a list of part names and counts. Modded parts get trickier, since we might not be able to get a part prefab if the mod isn't loaded, meaning we can't turn a name into a full part. In that case you could just not import them. KCT's old inventory would be fine with that but the new one needs more stuff from the part itself.

awesome @magico13.  This makes me a very happy kerbalnaut!