[1.4.1] Kerbal Construction Time 1.4.0.69 (2018-03-24) - Unrapid Planned Assembly

magico13

1 hour ago, eberkain said:

There is a KSC Switcher for 1.2.  I tried it out and it worked fine....   https://github.com/Alexical/KSCSwitcher/tree/21ddece4fbdb493de10cdcf54eb0f7a50c19e051

Ah!  I stand corrected!  Thank you for the link and the info!  Now my dreams of conquering the small solar system will come true! Muahahahahahhahahahhahahaha....  *Cough* s'cuse me.....Megalomania came out for a second....

@NotAgain, thank you for your feedback, I will try to use the dev version on 1.2.2 then.

Edit: Everything looks fine, no errors at all, but I didn't go that deep - only 200 days.

The simulation is still off but it's ok as we have another mod for that. Unfortunately is missing the part inventory, so no more build experience that will speed up the building process when using parts used before and no more fast relaunches with parts recovered from previous rockets.

Edited by Cristi

On 3/11/2017 at 1:55 PM, Cristi said:

@NotAgain, thank you for your feedback, I will try to use the dev version on 1.2.2 then.

Edit: Everything looks fine, no errors at all, but I didn't go that deep - only 200 days.

The simulation is still off but it's ok as we have another mod for that. Unfortunately is missing the part inventory, so no more build experience that will speed up the building process when using parts used before and no more fast relaunches with parts recovered from previous rockets.

Mind posting a link or name of the simulation mod? I'm trying to find one but haven't found one yet. Any guidance is appreciated!

On 3/11/2017 at 6:08 AM, NotAgain said:

@magico13, is there any plan to bring back the part inventory, or is that gone forever, or moving to a different mod?

If the dev thread is any indication, it's a combination of "A lot more complicated than initially bargained for due to the new upgrades system" and "Not enough time in the day" -- He's still working on it AFAIK.  There is a dev version you can get from the dev thread that works pretty pretty well with the caveat that the parts inventory (and build time reduction it would get you) isn't implemented at all.

Nothing to add really other then I'm running the latest dev version on 1.2.2 and haven't had any issues, glad to see this one up and doing great things. Thank you for the work everyone is doing to make it happen, especially magico and the playtesters, et al.

On 14/3/2017 at 3:33 PM, NotAgain said:

Great! Thanks. I'm already using the dev version.

Just a question - Do you use CustomBarnKit?

Because in the dev thread it says KCT and 
CustomBarnKit is not working good together? 

1 hour ago, jokiab said:

Just a question - Do you use CustomBarnKit?

Because in the dev thread it says KCT and 
CustomBarnKit is not working good together? 

I think that mainly applies if you use CustomBarnKit to do weird stuff like add another upgrade level to on the the KSC structures.   Strategia requires CustomBarnKit so I bet must people are using it at this point. 

Running 1.2.2 Dev RO/RP-0  with the current KCT 1.3.4.  Only weird issue is it isn't detected by CKAN, other manual installed mods are showing up as (AD) while KCT does not.  Thoroughly Enjoying it.

Side note I see Stage Recovery updated today. magico13 is on the case.

As many of you may know, I've been working on modding and KCT in particular for the better part of three years. While there was a certain degree of responsibility to the community to create and update mods, I always created mods that I wanted to play with in my own games. Having not played much, if at all, since 0.90 I felt no compulsion to work on mods except for the community. It was something I poured literally thousands of hours into with no expectation of getting anything in return.

That's not changing, I'm still going to be making mods because I find enjoyment in it, and I'm taking time to just play my own save every now and then to help me stay involved. However, if you feel that my modding efforts are something you want to contribute to while giving me additional incentive to pour my evening and weekends into making mods, and you've got some spare change you don't mind parting with, I've started a Patreon! I'll never earn enough making mods to pay my bills, that's what my full time job is for, but at the very least it can help offset some of the time I spend working on mods. 

My mods will always remain free and this is purely voluntary. If nobody contributes, that's fine, I'll still keep making mods I like to play with and releasing them for you all! :)

Click the image to go to my patreon page. If you decide to become a patron, thank you! And if you have any ideas for goals or rewards, please let me know!

patreon_black.png

@magico13 Thanks for all your work over the years! KCT has become one of my must have mods, it's one of those mods that once you start using it, you cant understand how you played without it. All of a sudden, life support is so important to get right because a rescue ship may not get built in time. Timing for transfer windows actually matters. SSTOs and re-usability actually start mattering a lot (well, with the previous inventory system :) ). Thanks again for your contributions. I will love to become a patron once I have the means to do so. 

As someone who has done a bit of coding and herding cats on projects, I know this will likely elicit an eyeroll or a sarcastic "Yeah, thanks"  but...  really wish life would give me time to help out on the coding end, Magico.  Sadly, I'm once again a college student, though this time working on an applied math/astrophysics dual major... and well, yeah.  Do you like math?  I mean, do you really, really like math?  :P  It sucks because I have neither the time, money, nor energy to really do much of anything other than class and sleep.  At any rate, all I can really do is express my profound appreciation for the work you've done.  KCT almost immediately found itself on the  "I will not bother to play KSP without this mod" list.  If you ever find yourself in the Midwest, I do, at the very least, owe you a suitable beverage of your choice. :)

Edited by storm6436

9 minutes ago, storm6436 said:

If you ever find yourself in the Midwest

How midwest are we talking? I live in Ohio, but spent two years in Illinois working on a Masters, so I'm already somewhat midwest :P I'm still trying to figure out where I'm gonna go for the solar eclipse this year and am thinking southern Illinois so I can visit some friends on the way there who are still working on their PhDs at the school I went to.

I've just read this guide about refurbishing recovered vehicles:

https://github.com/magico13/KCT/wiki/Tutorial:-Adding-New-Modules-to-be-Reset-on-Recovery-to-Storage

I'm using RealFuels and I'd like to write some KCTModuleTemplate for ModuleEnginesRF. It's mostly a copy of the template for ModuleEngines, with the exception of ignitions. In theory, you want some actual work to be done on some engine before it can be restarted, ranging from replacing an ignitor to disassembling most of the engine. But that can't be simulated in KCT right now, even if you tediously replace all engines by new ones KCT doesn't see the difference between used and new engines and gives you the new ones for free anyway.

But here's the problem: different parts have different numbers of ignitions, but all use the same ModuleEnginesRF module. I don't know how to tell KCT the right number of ignitions for each part, even if I could make RealFuels add an additional property like "InitialIgnitions" whose value could be copied.

Edit: what do you think about adding an editor control to increase ignitions that actually increased construction time?

Edited by cami

53 minutes ago, cami said:

I'm using RealFuels and I'd like to write some KCTModuleTemplate for ModuleEnginesRF. 

But here's the problem: different parts have different numbers of ignitions, but all use the same ModuleEnginesRF module. I don't know how to tell KCT the right number of ignitions for each part, even if I could make RealFuels add an additional property like "InitialIgnitions" whose value could be copied.

Edit: what do you think about adding an editor control to increase ignitions that actually increased construction time?

Hmm, that definitely would pose a problem since right now you'd have to define the number of ignitions as a constant for all of them, which isn't what you want. You could omit the ignitions so that the number still decreases each time and require the player to manually replace the engines when they get too low, but that's got it's own problems as well. I'm not sure what a good solution would be and it's a specific enough situation that I either don't want to spend too much time focusing on it, or I want something generic enough so it can be used for other things as well. I'll need to think about how to solve this problem. It's either allowing contextual replacements (parts with name "x" get this module replaced with "y" template) or maybe something with module manager.

I don't know if I could easily make it affect construction time with how the formulas work right now. I don't want to hard code in an "ignitions" variable, but that does make me really want to have a way for other mods to define variables and their values. At worst I then could create a .dll that integrates RealFuels and KCT and just adds that in to the EffectiveCost Formula. The formula would have to be modified to actually use that variable. That'd be a pretty major refactoring to get working from the KCT side...

I have tentative plans to rewrite KCT, so that's something I will keep in mind for that for sure. I'm not sure it'll make it into this incarnation of it. I'm writing up an issue on the MagiCore github for it, since if I can implement it there then it can automatically apply to all my mods. I think I could actually do that easier than getting KCT to do it, since I can just have it raise an event that sends along the variable dictionary and lets the listeners add their own variables. That's definitely a worthwhile solution.

For clarification, ignitions are almost always 1 (non-restartable engines), sometimes -1 (infinitely restartable engines). Some upper-stage engines have a small number of restarts (typically 2-3 ignitions). Except for restartable engines, you will be using up most if not all your ignitions in a single flight.

Some ignitions also require a bit of fuel (e.g. TEA/TEB, HTP). One generic way could be to make ignitions behave like fuel, then they could be refilled by KCT and refill would also incur a cost. I guess that approach would mean no work for KCT at all. I don't know if RealFuels will like that idea, though.