[1.4.1] Kerbal Construction Time 1.4.0.69 (2018-03-24) - Unrapid Planned Assembly

magico13

2 hours ago, DC said:

I'd recommend you enclose the entire formula in brackets before applying the multiplier, just to be sure e.g. - (2^([N]+1) / 86400) * 3

I guess I can't argue with the "better safe than sorry" attitude you display. Also, it is nice of you to make recommendations to better avoid mistakes. In this case though, I (and it may well be just me) do not feel that an extra set of parentheses makes the formula any clearer.

Again, this isn't meant to say that @DC's suggestion is poor; it is more for readers stumbling on this post later and wondering if stuff like " [M]/100*[E]*3600*[O] " needs parentheses to work; it doesn't, but you can add parentheses if you feel it is an improvement.

Edit: Ahh, maybe I remember a reason for your recommendation after all. Some people in some contexts use "/" to mean an implicit set of parentheses to the right of the "/"-symbol. You can avoid that by an explicit set of parentheses. I hadn't that in mind when I answered, simply because I don't use that convention myself. So maybe, yes, your recommendation might make the formula clearer after all. And it got me to ponder which version is clearer - probably a healthy exercise.

Edited by Rodhern

47 minutes ago, Rodhern said:

I guess I can't argue with the "better safe than sorry" attitude you display. Also, it is nice of you to make recommendations to better avoid mistakes. In this case though, I (and it may well be just me) do not feel that an extra set of parentheses makes the formula any clearer.

Again, this isn't meant to say that @DC's suggestion is poor; it is more for readers stumbling on this post later and wondering if stuff like " [M]/100*[E]*3600*[O] " needs parentheses to work; it doesn't, but you can add parentheses if you feel it is an improvement.

Edit: Ahh, maybe I remember a reason for your recommendation after all. Some people in some contexts use "/" to mean an implicit set of parentheses to the right of the "/"-symbol. You can avoid that by an explicit set of parentheses. I hadn't that in mind when I answered, simply because I don't use that convention myself. So maybe, yes, your recommendation might make the formula clearer after all. And it got me to ponder which version is clearer - probably a healthy exercise.

It's simply that the mathematically correct way formulae are resolved is not from left to right (this is a common trope for Facebook posts) so it is often advisable to put in brackets to guarantee processing order (since brackets top everything). In the instance here the formula does resolve correctly with or without the extra brackets, but on the whole I am indeed a "better safe than sorry" guy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 03/10/2017 at 12:33 AM, CreeWitz said:

11ce46f8905a3a7f1c07fc55d22bfaeb.png

Hello guys,

i have the same Problem as previously described where the KCT Settings and Overlay are just a blank grey box. I am using the version 1.3.5.91 of KCT, my KSP version is 1.2.2. There is no magicore.dll file in the GameData Folder, only in the MagiCore Folder.

Output_log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fufieiwt57dwf3v/output_log.txt?dl=0

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

See this post :

Fixed it for me.

Hi magico,

the latest build on GitHub (1.3.0.38) is marked for KSP 1.3.1.  I'm a bit confused as the Version of the latest build is lower than before. KSP is also telling me that it was build for KSP 1.22.  I'm even more confused as it is even working in 1.3.1 but I see some diffrence to your pre-release 1.3.5.91 with which I had Tech's that are undergoing research marked green/yellow. The newest version isn't doing that. Is there something messed up in your versioning or did I something wrong?

5 hours ago, Mace from Space said:

Hi magico,

the latest build on GitHub (1.3.0.38) is marked for KSP 1.3.1.  I'm a bit confused as the Version of the latest build is lower than before. KSP is also telling me that it was build for KSP 1.22.  I'm even more confused as it is even working in 1.3.1 but I see some diffrence to your pre-release 1.3.5.91 with which I had Tech's that are undergoing research marked green/yellow. The newest version isn't doing that. Is there something messed up in your versioning or did I something wrong?

The version file doesn't get updated automatically with the builds, so it's still ancient. If you see a version mentioned while in KSP, it's another mod reading that version file an letting you know (KSP-AVC). It does appear that I uploaded a build that was slightly older. The build server is actually back up (rebuilt it last night) so you can resume grabbing the latest builds from it. Though it sounds like you were actually on the latest before if you were seeing that functionality.

In general, if you want to find the actual version you have downloaded you have to check the .dll itself. Right click it and go to the properties, then the detail tab. The version will be listed in there and is set by the build server.

1 hour ago, magico13 said:

The version file doesn't get updated automatically with the builds, so it's still ancient. If you see a version mentioned while in KSP, it's another mod reading that version file an letting you know (KSP-AVC). It does appear that I uploaded a build that was slightly older. The build server is actually back up (rebuilt it last night) so you can resume grabbing the latest builds from it. Though it sounds like you were actually on the latest before if you were seeing that functionality.

In general, if you want to find the actual version you have downloaded you have to check the .dll itself. Right click it and go to the properties, then the detail tab. The version will be listed in there and is set by the build server.

Thanks a lot for the clarification.

1. Do ScrapYard and StageRecovery work together?
  2. Is there choose window (KRASH-simulation and start-building-process) instead of stock launch?
  3. Maybe it's my bad English, but what is rate 1, rate 2,.. lines I has understood only after had watched video from 1 post. I had  been thinking what it is something about rate (rank, level) of VAB/SPH theyself.

1 hour ago, flart said:
  1. Do ScrapYard and StageRecovery work together?
  2. Is there choose window (KRASH-simulation and start-building-process) instead of stock launch?
  3. Maybe it's my bad English, but what is rate 1, rate 2,.. lines I has understood only after had watched video from 1 post. I had  been thinking what it is something about rate (rank, level) of VAB/SPH theyself.

1. Yes, but there are some parts that do not work. If you recover a part with StageRecovery it will be added to the ScrapYard inventory, but if you use the "override funds" setting in ScrapYard it will not work correctly.

2. Are you asking about Kerbal Construction Time? With KCT when you press the launch button it builds the ship instead of going to the stock launch. With ScrapYard it will pull parts out of the inventory when you launch if you are not using KCT, otherwise it will pull parts out of the inventory when you build the ship with KCT.

3. The "rates" are the rate at which ships are built in KCT. You can have multiple build rates (rate 1, rate 2, etc) which let you build multiple ships at once. When I talk about VAB/SPH upgrades I always refer to them as "levels" or "upgrades" like "a level 2 VAB" or "when you upgrade the SPH to level 2".

3 minutes ago, magico13 said:

when you press the launch button it builds the ship instead of going to the stock launch.

I have seen from video what old KCT has window, there you could choose simulation/start_construct.  Now It is separate window from KRASH for simulation. Is there that choosing window now (some integration KCT and KRASH)?

1 hour ago, flart said:

I have seen from video what old KCT has window, there you could choose simulation/start_construct.  Now It is separate window from KRASH for simulation. Is there that choosing window now (some integration KCT and KRASH)?

No, there isn't a joint window. Since KRASH is used for simulations you must start simulations through their toolbar button. There aren't any actual integrations between KCT and KRASH.

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎20 at 7:12 PM, magico13 said:

Yes, in fact the latest build on the build server is compiled against 1.3.1.

Does that mean that you'd be ok with one of us reporting it for an update of the .version metadata for CKAN?  Or is that considered a test build right now?

Edited to add: I found the dev thread, you answer this line of questioning rather explicitly over there.  I shall sit tight (sorry, too late for me to delete this comment.)  Thanks!

Edited by MisterFister
Nooberifficily posted here before checking dev thread

I'm trying to compare the cost benefit of different launchers for a sequence of missions in RP-0's development branch.

But it's being complicated by the fact that I've built some parts multiple times and some alternative parts never at all.  Is there a way to account for this?

• What the vessel would cost to build and roll-out without any benefit of having previously built them?
  • What the vessel would cost to build and roll-out with maximum possible benefit of having previously built them?
    • As in, if all parts have been built an infinite number of times

Or anything else that would help me make a fair comparison :)

I've also noticed that the KCT Dialogue in the VAB states one roll-out cost, then when I come to actually roll-out the Launch Pad dialogue consistently shows a figure about half of that.  (Using the version specifically made for RP-0 Developmental.)

Edited by MatBailie

Hi @magico13

in my current career game I get enormous lag spike's in VAB when I modify/build ships. I could track it down to the "Auto Apply Inventory" function of ScrapYard. As soon as I have a part on my mouse, either new or from the ship, the console gets spammed with: [KCT] Inventory was applied. Recalculating.

It seems it tries to recalculate for every part that is on the ship and has a counterpart in the inventory every second. If Auto-Apply unchecked it runs smooth again.

Obviously that lag gets worser with game progress as more parts are available and inventoried. For now I will try to remember to apply the inventory manualy after finishing a craft. Im sure I will fail :-)

8 hours ago, MatBailie said:

I'm trying to compare the cost benefit of different launchers for a sequence of missions in RP-0's development branch.

But it's being complicated by the fact that I've built some parts multiple times and some alternative parts never at all.  Is there a way to account for this?

• What the vessel would cost to build and roll-out without any benefit of having previously built them?
  • What the vessel would cost to build and roll-out with maximum possible benefit of having previously built them?
    • As in, if all parts have been built an infinite number of times

Or anything else that would help me make a fair comparison :)

I've also noticed that the KCT Dialogue in the VAB states one roll-out cost, then when I come to actually roll-out the Launch Pad dialogue consistently shows a figure about half of that.  (Using the version specifically made for RP-0 Developmental.)

Unfortunately I don't know much about the features that were added for RP-0 or how they've decided to implement them. You'll want to ask on their thread probably. By default, KCT doesn't modify vessel costs at all. Rollout costs are determined by a formula defined in the Preset. I also don't know why the rollout costs are different, but I also didn't add either display (though I did originally create the rollout cost feature, though I think it has been changed since my first iteration). Basically I have no idea how KCT works with RP-0 since they changed a lot both inside KCT and externally using Presets :P

1 hour ago, Mace from Space said:

Hi @magico13

in my current career game I get enormous lag spike's in VAB when I modify/build ships. I could track it down to the "Auto Apply Inventory" function of ScrapYard. As soon as I have a part on my mouse, either new or from the ship, the console gets spammed with: [KCT] Inventory was applied. Recalculating.

It seems it tries to recalculate for every part that is on the ship and has a counterpart in the inventory every second. If Auto-Apply unchecked it runs smooth again.

Obviously that lag gets worser with game progress as more parts are available and inventoried. For now I will try to remember to apply the inventory manualy after finishing a craft. Im sure I will fail :-)

Yeah, that's definitely not good. I'll have to double check the listener for that event and make sure it just queues up a recalculation instead of triggering one right away. It also probably doesn't need to print out the log message, since that can also slow things down.

Hi,

Am using this since mod since a few years. Now using it with KSP 1.2.2 with RSS/RO/RP0.

About the re-use functionality of the 'EXACT' same vessel. A workaround to this could be to store a list of all parts recovered instead of the ship itself. Next time these parts are re-used on another vessel, they could be removed from the 'recovered' part list with a minimal build time for them.

I do not know if this has been thought of or tried to implement before. Especially with RSS/RO/RP-0 (in hard mode!) this could be a great possibility; I'm thinking landing first stages (of course, as everybody, SpaceX style)
I have some C#/Unity knowledge, but never done anything in KSP yet. @magico13 Would you have hints for me to give this a try? Or maybe you tried this before and this seemed too complex/impossible?

Bests

6 minutes ago, Garlik said:

Hi,

Am using this since mod since a few years. Now using it with KSP 1.2.2 with RSS/RO/RP0.

About the re-use functionality of the 'EXACT' same vessel. A workaround to this could be to store a list of all parts recovered instead of the ship itself. Next time these parts are re-used on another vessel, they could be removed from the 'recovered' part list with a minimal build time for them.

I do not know if this has been thought of or tried to implement before. Especially with RSS/RO/RP-0 (in hard mode!) this could be a great possibility; I'm thinking landing first stages (of course, as everybody, SpaceX style)
I have some C#/Unity knowledge, but never done anything in KSP yet. @magico13 Would you have hints for me to give this a try? Or maybe you tried this before and this seemed too complex/impossible?

Bests

So, something like Scrapyard? It’s a companion mod linked in the OP

Edited by Galileo

4 minutes ago, Garlik said:

Bests

I think what you're looking for is the ScrapYard addon

It works with KCT + StageRecovery and encapsulates functionality that used to be in KCT with regards to faster build times for things that you have flown and recovered.