[1.4.1] Kerbal Construction Time 1.4.0.69 (2018-03-24) - Unrapid Planned Assembly

magico13

3 minutes ago, strudo76 said:

That's a bit extreme. Removing KSP-AVC isn't going to affect your gameplay in any way, and when LGG gets it ready for 1.4.1, you can just put it back into your game. Don't know why that will make you not play for 6 months?

Said because that is usually the time frame when all the mods can be reasonably updated. People have lives after all and the mods are free.

KCT v1.4 is released!

Get it through all the regular channels. I need to tweak the ckan files to add a recommend for ScrapYard (and KRASH while I'm at it) so until then make sure you select those manually. Let me know if you find any bugs.

An important note: There's a really good chance this will be the last major release of KCT. Don't worry, I'm not abandoning it! KCT was pretty much my first real programming project, before it I had worked on some mods for Minecraft which is where I learned the basics but those mods were never released. Then I started playing with an alpha release of KCT made by @Ekku Zakku but it had a bunch of limitations, like nothing being saved when you quit the game or even when changing scenes, so I started trying to fix some of those limitations so I could do other things while vessels built. That resulted in Ekku giving me the mod since he didn't have time to work on it, and pretty much everything you see in the mod today was done by me (although the build time formula is still strongly based on the one that Ekku came up with). But I'm digressing, KCT was the first real programming experience I had and as a result it's a terrible mess of everything you shouldn't do when programming. It's a complete nightmare to work on and so I don't enjoy working on it. It's long past the time that it be rewritten from scratch, so that's what I'm going to do. My next major project will be a KCT rewrite. Like with ScrapYard, it'll probably be a a year or so until I actually release it since KSP isn't as big in my life anymore and I have other projects I want to work on (not to mention I spend 8+ hours a day staring at C# at my job), but also like ScrapYard there will probably be a lot of dev versions that are totally playable along the way. It's not going to be a one-for-one copy of KCT though, there will be some features removed and some other new features added.

The rewrite will wait for a little bit though since I want to play around with some of my side KSP projects, most notably SimuLite since that's already half-finished. Also, if you have name ideas let me know since I don't want to have "Kerbal" in the name anymore. I've got a few that I've been considering but if someone comes up with a good one I'll probably use their suggestion. (Mine are "Some Assembly Required" but that leads to SAR as the acronym which is not a great term to search for on Google because of SARS or "Foundry" since it goes along with ScrapYard and the whole "assembly" thing).

Edited by magico13

55 minutes ago, magico13 said:

Also, if you have name ideas let me know since I don't want to have "Kerbal" in the name anymore. I've got a few that I've been considering but if someone comes up with a good one I'll probably use their suggestion. (Mine are "Some Assembly Required" but that leads to SAR as the acronym which is not a great term to search for on Google because of SARS or "Foundry" since it goes along with ScrapYard and the whole "assembly" thing).

By any other name, it's still one of my favorite mods!  :rep:  :funds:

I don't have too many name ideas, but maybe something like Assembly Line?

I'd suggest something referring to Khruschev's declaration that they were producing rockets "like sausages" but I can see too many ways that could go wrong.  :o

Edited by MaxwellsDemon

Aha! I can finally play KSP again :) Thanks magico13, you're the best!

+1 for Unrapid Planned Assembly. It's clever, and the abbreviation 'UPA' doesn't have any other major associations.

Question: I noticed that parts that get used more often can be built faster. This doesn't apply to entire sub-assemblies does it? I mean, I would figure that the parts that are getting used in the sub-assemblies get built faster; but what I was hoping was: KCT would encourage using a limited number of LVs instead of building new rockets from the ground up every time. I like the idea of encouragement for re-using the same rocket designs over and over.

5 hours ago, Bob Jub said:

Question: I noticed that parts that get used more often can be built faster. This doesn't apply to entire sub-assemblies does it? I mean, I would figure that the parts that are getting used in the sub-assemblies get built faster; but what I was hoping was: KCT would encourage using a limited number of LVs instead of building new rockets from the ground up every time. I like the idea of encouragement for re-using the same rocket designs over and over.

The way that ScrapYard and KCT both operate is very part-based and knows little to nothing about the connections between the parts, so as of right now everything would happen at a part level only. Like you mention, that does encourage using the same launchers because the parts they're made of will keep getting used and will contribute less to the overall build time, but it also encourages building things like falcon heavy using more of the same parts used in existing launchers. If you can recover those booster stages it helps even more since parts from the inventory count as 100 additional uses. You can even prebuild a bunch of launchers, build the payload separate, then scrap one and edit the other and merge the two together to fully utilize your build queue and shorten overall build times (just make sure you're pulling the parts from the inventory).

On March 24, 2018 at 1:40 PM, magico13 said:

...Then I started playing with an alpha release of KCT made by @Ekku Zakku but it had a bunch of limitations, like nothing being saved when you quit the game or even when changing scenes, so I started trying to fix some of those limitations so I could do other things while vessels built. That resulted in Ekku giving me the mod since he didn't have time to work on it, and pretty much everything you see in the mod today was done by me (although the build time formula is still strongly based on the one that Ekku came up with)...

You did a great job! Thanks for picking up the project when I couldn't keep working on it, been programming professionally for 4 years now and there's no way I could have done the work you did in that time XD Good luck in your future endeavors!

Edit: to chime in on the rename, I like Unrapid Planned Assembly, since it has been associated with the mod for a while. Also it's just plain funny imo lol

Edited by Ekku Zakku
Adding to topic!

On 29/03/2018 at 6:31 PM, Ekku Zakku said:

<snip>

Edit: to chime in on the rename, I like Unrapid Planned Assembly, since it has been associated with the mod for a while. Also it's just plain funny imo lol

A perfectly Kerbal name for a brilliant mod. I really like UPA (Unrapid Planned Assembly). Has a great feel to it and suits the idea to a tee :)

Edited by RobertJPowell
minor context edit

5 minutes ago, Tortoise said:

Just out of curiosity, why was built-in simulations removed?

Simulations are now done via KRASH. Lemme go grab the link for you: i think it was because there might have been requests/demand for the test simulator without KCT

Edited by RobertJPowell
added link

13 minutes ago, Tortoise said:

Just out of curiosity, why was built-in simulations removed?

9 minutes ago, RobertJPowell said:

Simulations are now done via KRASH. Lemme go grab the link for you: i think it was because there might have been requests/demand for the test simulator without KCT

Two main reasons, the first being that people wanted to use simulations without having to pull in all of KCT (even though you could just click a button and turn off all the other features) and second because then the simulations could be improved/reworked without being tied to KCT being improved/reworked. Since simulations are handled by a different mod/author I don't have to spend dev time working on them and keeping them up to date.

Similar reason to why the inventory was swapped over to a separate mod called ScrapYard. KCT is now primarily just the feature of adding time constraints to things.

3 hours ago, Lpmikeboy said:

Silly question, will this work in sandbox? I've been doing a sandbox where I "rp" a lot of the training and testing and this mod would be great for that. 

It should work in sandbox without any issues. Let me know if you need any help or have any questions about it since it's more geared toward career so you might need to tweak some things to get it where you want.

2 hours ago, Tinukedaya said:

Any chance of getting a version for 1.4.2? 

The current version works for all releases of 1.4, including 1.4.2.

On 4/6/2018 at 1:20 PM, magico13 said:

Similar reason to why the inventory was swapped over to a separate mod called ScrapYard. 

That is one feature I do miss, but when I do finally migrate (maybe) to 1.4.x (or version > x.infinity+1.infinity) I'll drop Scrapyard in too.  It looks very cool