[1.4.1] Kerbal Construction Time 1.4.0.69 (2018-03-24) - Unrapid Planned Assembly

magico13

On 7/18/2018 at 8:41 AM, demibear said:

Hello all,

I am having problems with KCT displaying the "error loading KCT data" error message when I change scenes. I am not entirely sure which of my many mods might be conflicting with it, since restarting the game clears it until I change a scene again. Using a rolled back 1.4.3

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wxPbtDOwmri8c5TOH214BlMa0T9swxAS

I have this issue now with KSP 1.4.5

Try using the dev version at http://magico13.net:8080/job/Kerbal Construction Time/. Not having any problems on scene changes giving an error with that. There is a minor issue with KK changing the KSC to whatever location is last used for a launch site on build but seems to be graphical only and resets on a subsequent build at a KSC location. If the problem persists it is likely a conflict with something else.

Just to not be forgotten, whoever maintains this - @westamastaflash - the issue with KCT with RSS and KSCSwitcher is not solved yet.

There is a button in the KSC settings "Shared Upgrade Pool (KSCSwitcher)" which does nothing, when I switch to another launch site all VAB buildings are level 1 - or better said they have their own setup.

Edited by Gordon Dry
changed ping

22 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

Just to not be forgotten, whoever maintains this - perhaps @linuxgurugamer - the issue with KCT with RSS and KSCSwitcher is not solved yet.

There is a button in the KSC settings "Shared Upgrade Pool (KSCSwitcher)" which does nothing, when I switch to another launch site all VAB buildings are level 1 - or better said they have their own setup.

2 posts above, it says who the new maintainer is.  Hint: it's not me.

20 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

It doesn't affect the KSC upgrades, it affects the KCT upgrade points. When the pool is shared, upgrading rates at one site reduces the amount of points you can spend at all sites. With them not shared, each KSC has its own separate pool. Example: you have 15 total points and upgrade the VAB rate 1 at site 1 ten times, leaving 5 points remaining. If you swap to site 2 then with the pool shared you'll only see 5 points available, but with sharing disabled you'll have 15 points available.

The tech unlock rate is shared among all KSCs (since tech isn't KSC specific) so in either case if you upgrade that it'll reduce upgrades everywhere.

23 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

Ah okay, intuitively I assumed that also the tech level would be shared ...

This would be an optional feature, though ...

I've been looking into the code in detail over the past few days, doing some instrumentation on it, identifying places that can be improved to help track down bugs.

One of the things I want to do is work to modularize each of the main KCT features, so that each feature can operate independently, but also as a cohesive unit

As part of this as well, per one of @magico13's ideas, I am looking into breaking this up into a few more manageable components:

Kerbal Construction Time - Core Mod. Will provide the necessary shared functionality for each sub-component. Purchase Build Points with Funds and Science.

- Some Assembly Required - Rocket Assembly Facilities. Each rocket requires a 'factory' to build all the components. Build Points allow for faster and/or parallel rocket construction. Allows immediate launch on build if Launching is Complex is not activated. 

- Launching is Complex - Add Rollout / Rollback of rockets to launch pads, Reconditioning of Launch Pads. Build Points to allow for faster rollout/rollback and pad reconditioning. Individualized to each launch pad if Kosmodrome Konstruction is activated. Optional future feature to require pads have cyrogenic fuel storage facilities that can hold the requisite amount of fuel the rocket needs before it can launch, to go along with more 'weight limits' for each rocket pad.

- Kosmodrome Konstruction - Takes over all aspects of KSC construction, upgrades, and launch pads. Build multiple launch pads. Integrate with KSCSwitcher, RSS, and stock launch sites. Option to start with just the KSC and "open new launch sites" and upgrade those individually. Build Points can be used to purchase new launch pads or open new Kosmodromes.

- Not-So-Mad Science - After starting to research a technology node or part, it takes time to complete the research of that node or part. Build Points can be used to speed up this process.

Edited by westamastaflash

I like the idea of modularity @westamastaflash, but how much is functionality going to change? I like the current system, in which upgrade points (Build Points, in your post) are given when you unlock a new tech node in career mode. Outright purchasing build points with funds and science would not at all fit with the way I use KCT currently, at least.

1 hour ago, theonegalen said:

I like the idea of modularity @westamastaflash, but how much is functionality going to change? I like the current system, in which upgrade points (Build Points, in your post) are given when you unlock a new tech node in career mode. Outright purchasing build points with funds and science would not at all fit with the way I use KCT currently, at least.

Not sure what you mean... In career mode, you can buy build points with science and funds already using the "Upgrades" button from the space center KCT screen?

OinVgtF.png

The default science formula is min(2^([N]+2) * 1.0, 512), where N is the number of upgrades previously purchased, so you max out at 512 science per build point.

The funds formula is min(2^([N]+4) * 1000, 1024000), where N is the number of upgrades previously purchased, so you max out at 1024000 funds per build point.

Total Build Points available comes from multiple things:

Starting Upgrade Points

+ Total Techs Researched (When using tech unlock times)

+ Total Techs "In Progress" (When using tech unlock times)

+ Upgrades Purchased with Funds

+ Upgrades Purchased with Science

+ "Inventory Sale Upgrades" - Does not appear to be used in the code

+ Total Techs Researched (When not using tech unlock times)

+ "API" build points - Does not appear to be used int he code

Right, your brief rundown of your plan above didn't include build points earned from tech unlocks, just those bought for science and funds. I see those options as "end game" options, and was wondering if you were planning to remove the points given by the tech unlocks. This is why I asked what functionality would be changed.

By "end game" options, I mean that I wouldn't be likely to purchase BP for science unless I had finished unlocking the tech tree (or all the parts I want, at least) - a feat I have not yet accomplished in any of my playthroughs.

59 minutes ago, theonegalen said:

Right, your brief rundown of your plan above didn't include build points earned from tech unlocks, just those bought for science and funds. I see those options as "end game" options, and was wondering if you were planning to remove the points given by the tech unlocks. This is why I asked what functionality would be changed.

By "end game" options, I mean that I wouldn't be likely to purchase BP for science unless I had finished unlocking the tech tree (or all the parts I want, at least) - a feat I have not yet accomplished in any of my playthroughs.

Ah, that makes sense. I wasn't sure what you meant. 

I was not planning on changing anything drastic - the build points per unlocked tech would stay, probably as a core option that is turned on by default. I may even add another option to grant a build point per X launches , or per X tonnage launched, or some such thing. To represent your space program's ability to learn from what you've done before.

Of course as the new maintainer, it's up to you to decide, but I'll still humbly share my thoughts.

How exactly will "modularization" help? I mean, KCT as it is now looks pretty consistent and extremely flexible (if you use its formulas creatively). You can already disable any feature of it without having to install or uninstall anything. I'm afraid that some of this coherence will be lost if you have to cut the mod into separate parts. And the sheer amount of time needed to split the mod and to make sure each possible combination of its components works well is just huge. And most of this work will not even result in any significant improvement of functionality or performance. Are you sure you want to go there?

Maybe I lack imagination, but I wish there were gradual, incremental improvement instead of an overhaul. It will save your time and ensure continuity and forward compatibility.

4 hours ago, garwel said:

Of course as the new maintainer, it's up to you to decide, but I'll still humbly share my thoughts.

How exactly will "modularization" help? I mean, KCT as it is now looks pretty consistent and extremely flexible (if you use its formulas creatively). You can already disable any feature of it without having to install or uninstall anything. I'm afraid that some of this coherence will be lost if you have to cut the mod into separate parts. And the sheer amount of time needed to split the mod and to make sure each possible combination of its components works well is just huge. And most of this work will not even result in any significant improvement of functionality or performance. Are you sure you want to go there?

Maybe I lack imagination, but I wish there were gradual, incremental improvement instead of an overhaul. It will save your time and ensure continuity and forward compatibility.

One of the reasons is that the code, as it stands, is nigh-impossible to maintain without accidentally breaking things. Half Nearly All of the internal logic of the mod is embedded directly in the user interface, while other, just as important parts, are in static classes that maintain state and operate as 'global function containers'. Also, every scene change, the entire mod reloads itself. There are a bunch of calls that assume things are ready, but when they're not, throw NullReferenceExceptions instead of strong errors. There's a little bit of instrumentation to track where things went wrong, but not enough. Incremental improvement will definitely happen, no code is being thrown out completely unless necessary. But 250-line functions are simply not debuggable in a meaningful way when submitted as part of bug reports.

As far as modularization, I'll back track a little bit on that. I don't think that means "5 mods". It means "one mod but with very clear boundaries between various things both *in the code* and *in the GUI*. As you said there's a lot of flexibility with the formulas, and I don't want to take *any* of that away. From a pure UI/UX perspective, I don't expect much of anything to change initially.

I'm currently just trying to get it to build and work consistently with 1.4.5. The new 'launch sites' that KSP added seems to have borked a lot of the launch pad specific code.

3 hours ago, westamastaflash said:

As far as modularization, I'll back track a little bit on that. I don't think that means "5 mods". It means "one mod but with very clear boundaries between various things both *in the code* and *in the GUI*. As you said there's a lot of flexibility with the formulas, and I don't want to take *any* of that away. From a pure UI/UX perspective, I don't expect much of anything to change initially.

I'm currently just trying to get it to build and work consistently with 1.4.5. The new 'launch sites' that KSP added seems to have borked a lot of the launch pad specific code.

That sounds great, like it really needs to be done, and also like a whole lot of work. Thank you so much for putting in the time!

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:09 AM, magico13 said:

Hello again everyone, as you may have noticed I've been pretty distant from the KSP community and KSP modding for some time. I am sorry to say that I am going to be stepping back from modding entirely. I love KSP, I love the community, and I love making mods that help others enjoy KSP as well, but I haven't actively played KSP for more than a month or so in a few years and I'd like to play other games and work on other projects. I have a game idea I might pursue that is inspired by KSP and Terraria, so if I do end up making progress on that I will let you all know.

I originally started modding just because I wanted to play with a mod (KCT) that needed some work before it was really playable. That evolved into several related mods and served as a great way to learn programming. I have now been a professional .NET developer for over two years as a result of what I learned while modding and I am eternally grateful to this community for helping me bring my mods to life and pushing me to learn more. When I started I just barely understood how to write C# and now I do it professionally.

I do not have specific successors in place for my mods. If you are interested in taking over development of any of my mods, please send me a PM. I will ping some specific people now who might be interested or might know people who are, but this is open to everyone. @Starwaster, @severedsolo, @NathanKell, @linuxgurugamer

Thank you all for your support over the years, you've been great :D Hopefully I'll see you around :) 

Going to be sorry to see you go Magico, but I wish you the best. You've managed to build, probably the most important core mod here in KCT. it's the only one I absolutely can't play Kerbal without it anymore. Thank you for all the enjoyment your amazing mod has given me in all the time {years?} I've used it.

20 hours ago, Dux Aquila said:

I only hope that in the new version compatible with 1.5. X this fixed the problem to recover the vehicle active and we can keep reusing aircraft and rovers without having to build them.

i was thinking i couldn't recover to list do to choosing no revert

but i did succeed 1 time of the many i tried

then agen Magico  did say it was an unreliably hak