[1.4.1] Kerbal Construction Time 1.4.0.69 (2018-03-24) - Unrapid Planned Assembly

magico13

BTW, the in-game AVC download link still points to the prerelease thread.

Thanks for the heads up. Fixed on the remote version file, which should "fix" it for all clients (pretty sure it just uses the download link from the remote file). Local version files will have the correct link in the next update :)

My problem is that the ship I want to build will not complete and move to the VAB Storage so I can launch it. The only way I can launch it, is by adding a ton of other stuff to it that I don't need so it cost me some more time to build it. If I pick Use parts from inventory, the build time goes to 0. And then it won't build.

Screen shot of the problem.

screenshot23.jpg

Can I see a shot of it in the editor? I'm not sure how it's even remotely possible to have a BP cost of NaN, unless there's a division by zero somewhere. Did you change the time settings, and if so what are they? You either have a negative effective cost or a division by zero, both of which would take some impractical time settings to get I think. Or there's something else unexpectedly going wrong somewhere, in which case I'll need the output_log file.

Build times of zero normally build just fine and go straight into the storage after a single game tick.

I think it has something to do with having all the parts already made in inventory. When I put a part on it that wasn't already made, it added some time to the numbers and would let me build it, then launch it.

Maybe if you were to just add an hour to the build time if you need it or not would solve the problem?

I got past the problem, I'm building bigger rockets, and haven't saved up all the parts that's needed to keep away from this bug.

When I first started the new game, I saved EVERYTHING. And I think on some of the actual launches, the craft was not to even leave the pad, so when I recovered the ship, all parts were back in inventory. So next time I used that ship, all parts were already made. They didn't need fuel cause the mission didn't require me to leave surface to complete the mission.

BTW, all settings are default.

Edited by Bothersome

Using inventory parts just divides the cost by 100 for determining the effective cost, so unless your rocket is only made out of parts costing less than a single "funds" normally then it shouldn't be doing this (but even 1/100 is still not NaN). The absolute minimum you should be able to get is 0 unless you somehow have negative costing rockets (like an out of date tweakscale or modular kolonization systems).

Also, if you scrap a completed ship you get all the parts without having to launch at all. Additionally, when building ships just for parts, the more parts you add the less time it takes overall (compared to building each part one by one).

What exactly is that ship? Just a single part? Maybe I can force this to happen on my end too so I can fix it.

I don't know what's causing it but it's doing it again. This time I had told it to make 4 copies of the same ship. Once the first ship was completed, I returned to inventory the unused parts.

Now the last two can be made because of the NaN problem. It had already started the second copy because I only had two build crews working. They had already started work on the second copy.

screenshot24.jpg

I really need to see these ships and the output_log.txt file (look at the bottom of the OP for directions if you're using windows, otherwise a page or two back I linked to a thread that describes where it is on other systems). That's a pretty non-trivial amount of BP (499916.25), which the others should also be at or near, so something else is going wrong than what I had thought before, which the log may include information about.

I looked but I don't have that particular ship anymore, but I have one that is smaller but still causing me the same problem...

The problem is that I already have all these parts in inventory except the booster. The reason the booster is cut back on fuel and power is because I DON'T want them going too high in space. DRE kills them from excess gravity if they go too high or too fast. Yet I can't build this ship and it's what I need for max savings. So I've had to resort to using more expensive ships and throw away the parts, OR I can turn off the use parts from inventory and just keep filling the warehouse.

screenshot25.jpg

Without the log I can only guess at what the issue is. My guess is that whatever mod that srb is from isn't properly updated to 0.24 and the costs are incorrectly configured. If the cost of the fuel is more than the cost of the part when fully fueled, then removing fuel will make it cost negative. Since that is the only new part it's effective cost is MUCH higher in magnitude than the other parts, but is actually negative (easy to test. Put just that booster in the vab and remove some fuel. If the cost goes negative, then that's the problem). I couldn't find that mod to test with but I have made a one line change to KCT to ensure the effective cost can't be less than zero.

Try out this .dll and see if it works better. Just replace the one in the KerbalConstructionTime folder with this one. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25340912/Kerbal_Construction_Time.dll

Yea the new DLL works !!! I can fly cheap rockets again. Thanks much. Now I don't have to put on extra parts to make it fly. I was getting a warehouse full odd and ends and running out of something new that was cheap to attach to things like towers.

I'd definitely try updating Novapunch since there's a decent chance you're not using the latest version (which had its costs rebalanced so that sort of issue can't happen). If you're positive that you're running the latest version then that's a bug that needs to be reported to the Novapunch developers. But I'm glad the fix worked :) I always like easy fixes.

I have an issue where the camera controls will lock up when starting a simulation. Returning to VAB or space centre doesn't fix the problem and in the VAB, I can't click the part buttons or the buttons in the top right. This doesn't happen during launch.

This only affects my latest designs though. I'm not sure why, but maybe they are too heavy or they stick up through the roof of the VAB.

First let me say that this mod is fantastic.

If I could make a suggestion it would be,... Can we reduce some of the time for the launch pad reconditioning and put that time added onto the launch itself?

Reason I ask is because it seems like a loonng time to "fix" the launch pad. Yet it's instant roll-out of the vehicle to the pad when you get ready to go. This doesn't seem real to me. How long does it take to scrape off the burn marks, repaint the safety stripes, refill the water and fuel tanks, etc.? How long does it take to roll out a 1000 ton vehicle?

Just a suggestion.

First let me say that this mod is fantastic.

If I could make a suggestion it would be,... Can we reduce some of the time for the launch pad reconditioning and put that time added onto the launch itself?

Reason I ask is because it seems like a loonng time to "fix" the launch pad. Yet it's instant roll-out of the vehicle to the pad when you get ready to go. This doesn't seem real to me. How long does it take to scrape off the burn marks, repaint the safety stripes, refill the water and fuel tanks, etc.? How long does it take to roll out a 1000 ton vehicle?

Just a suggestion.

You can do this. In the settings there is a 86k BP per x, with x being mass of the rocket. Default is 25. I set mine to 50, you could set it to 100 if wanted (4x faster basically).

Is there any way to decrease the time required for launchpad reconditioning? I may or may not have a 6-month wait ahead of me, which seems a little bit high.

As others have kindly pointed out, you can adjust this in the settings. Unfortunately it won't change the current operation, it will just affect future ones (I plan on changing that in the future). You can always go into the settings, disable reconditioning, save, then go back into the settings and reenable it to "cancel" the current reconditioning. There are two settings that influence reconditioning time: the Overall Multiplier (which also affects total build times) and the BP per ton ratio (which can be adjusted in the settings. Default is 86400BP per 25 tons. Doubling the tonnage cuts the time in half.) Or, if you want to stick with default settings, the actual way of increasing the rate at which it progresses is to increase your VAB rates. All of the VAB rates get added together to make up the total reconditioning rate. My personal game uses 50 tons, but I also have pretty non-standard time settings (5x Overall, 0.75 Build, and 1600 Inventory).

I have an issue where the camera controls will lock up when starting a simulation. Returning to VAB or space centre doesn't fix the problem and in the VAB, I can't click the part buttons or the buttons in the top right. This doesn't happen during launch.

This only affects my latest designs though. I'm not sure why, but maybe they are too heavy or they stick up through the roof of the VAB.

Sounds like an input lock is stuck on, but I thought I fixed all of those issues. Does this always happen with every ship, or is it just one? Can you get me a log to look at (see bottom of the OP)

So how do we add time to the process of moving the rocket from storage to the pad?

I think Nori may have misquoted and meant to quote lordyod. There isn't currently time between moving from storage and the launchpad, and while that would be more realistic I don't really think it would be fun. Personally I wouldn't like pressing the Launch button and then having to wait, especially after having to wait (days, sometimes weeks or months) for it to build (and reconditioning from the last launch, which luckily is less than the time it takes me to build a new rocket). If reconditioning is too unrealistically long you can always reduce the time it takes or disable it completely. I don't currently intend on replacing it with another system, since I think it's a fair enough approximation for repairing the launch pad and rolling out the next vehicle.

KCT is a "realism" mod in that it adds more realism, but I haven't designed it to be hard realism. I try to balance gameplay and realism, because that's how I enjoy playing, but I also try to make it configurable enough that people who want hardcore realism can have it and people who want an extra gameplay mechanic can have that. Unfortunately that means that it's not super great at either task.