[1.4.1] Kerbal Construction Time 1.4.0.69 (2018-03-24) - Unrapid Planned Assembly

magico13

I would be pretty happy if simulation cost could be changed, I've been running all my sims at whatever time setting would cost 20% the rockets entire cost, it's costly enough that you will use it very sparingly, but cheaper than total disaster.

Also I'll reduce the testing cost when rerunning the test. I'll have a look at those build rate modifier numbers soon, I want an equation that gives incremental bonuses at first which quickly slow down then eventually after maybe 100 builds get so small as to be virtually non existent, then I'll rebalance build points so that when that point is reached you're building things quickly but not insanely so, not without massive upgrading to the VAB.

I've been meaning to add some formulae for controlling simulation costs. I'll make a github issue to remind me of it. It makes sense that it would be part of the presets, so I'll get it done for next version (especially because I'd rather not change the Presets specifications after release by too much). I'm not positive that I'll be able to come up with a simple way to determine if you're rerunning the test, but I'll try because I like that idea.

The formula as-is for effective cost already has a rapid change in the beginning and it quickly dies down (and becomes pretty nonexistent at high values). You can probably tweak the Build Effect variable without tweaking the formula and get something that fits well.

I Searched this thread, but I couldn't find my answer.

What controls how long it takes to upgrade KSC buildings?

In-game, the rate is the sum of all VAB and SPH rates and the kerbal-hours (or BP) is based on the cost of the upgrade. The formula that controls it is one of the ones in KCT_Formulas.cfg, specifically the KSCUpgradeFormula. By default, it's proportional to 1000 times the square root of the cost.

If you're asking so you can try to rebalance it more to your liking, then changing the 1000 to 500 will cut the time in half (for future upgrades only), or to 2000 will double it. You can also change the formula to be linear, or logarithmic, or anything else you feel would be better :)

magico13,

I am weird thing occur when I launch with KCT.

1) There seems to be an altitude under about 1 km in which my ship dissappears and then flys up from the bottom of the screen and the camera regains focus on the vessel and follows it up.

2) Sometimes when I first appear at the launch pad and the physics settles, the rocket (clamps and all) all of a sudden switch to a random angle, usually about 5-15 degrees from vertical.

Other than that, KCT is working like a dream.

I know it is KCT causing it, I don't know if it doesn't like one of the other mods I have installed. I am playing on a 64 bit linux install.

If you would like me to post pictures or logs, just give the word. Whatever I can do to helpl, name it.

Someone else reported something similar in the past but I don't believe they followed up on it much. Logs are always a good idea. Screenshots might be nice as well. I play on Windows 32bit and Linux 64bit and haven't seen it happen with the mods I've got installed.

The extra weird thing is that the function that KCT uses to launch craft is the exact one that's used when you launch craft by clicking on the Launchpad. So if it's happening for KCT, it should be happening in stock as well if you launch through the launchpad.

I would like to remove the free points you get at start. I really dont like freebies in games. Im sad that there isnt any config file where I could change that. I tried Cheat Engine, but it didnt see the values, so no joy there.

Dont know it was reported, but science from simulation (goo and such) somehow got carried over and I could actually use it to research stuff.

Edited by taro8

I would like to remove the free points you get at start. I really dont like freebies in games. Im sad that there isnt any config file where I could change that. I tried Cheat Engine, but it didnt ese the values so no joy there.

Dont know it was reported, but science from simulation (goo and such) somehow got carried over and I could actually use it to research stuff.

Just open up the save file in a text editor and change TotalUpgradePoints = 15 to TotalUpgradePoints = 0. They're freebies for balance, since the default rates used to be 1.0 instead of the 0.1 they are now (overall, the change made you lose 21 points, even when including the 15 free ones. It's 36 total points excluding those.)

I'm adding a config option for it in the next update actually. As for the science being carried over from a simulation, that shouldn't be possible, so if it happens again I'd like to see the logs, if you don't mind.

Someone else reported something similar in the past but I don't believe they followed up on it much. Logs are always a good idea. Screenshots might be nice as well. I play on Windows 32bit and Linux 64bit and haven't seen it happen with the mods I've got installed.

The extra weird thing is that the function that KCT uses to launch craft is the exact one that's used when you launch craft by clicking on the Launchpad. So if it's happening for KCT, it should be happening in stock as well if you launch through the launchpad.

The only mod I can think of that would be related is New Horizons Mod. I will try to get you some useful log data.

Here are a couple screen shots (of the most severe cases):

KCT1.jpg

KCT2.jpg

The only mod I can think of that would be related is New Horizons Mod. I will try to get you some useful log data.

New Horizons was mentioned in the past reports too now that I think of it. I installed New Horizons myself + KCT and couldn't reproduce it. Launching through KCT worked flawlessly :/

I am struggling here. Basically, in the VAB, I set the Build Points ratio so that the rocket will be ready in 2 days. When I press build and go into the rocket construction tab, it says that the rocket will be ready in a whopping 247 days. What can I do here?

New Horizons was mentioned in the past reports too now that I think of it. I installed New Horizons myself + KCT and couldn't reproduce it. Launching through KCT worked flawlessly :/

I will get you more info magico. See if I can do a bit of detective work.

I am struggling here. Basically, in the VAB, I set the Build Points ratio so that the rocket will be ready in 2 days. When I press build and go into the rocket construction tab, it says that the rocket will be ready in a whopping 247 days. What can I do here?

The thing in the VAB just lets you see how long something will take at a particular build rate, it doesn't set the build rate.

To set build rates you have to spend upgrade points. You get 15 for free (enough to set one rate to 0.85 BP/s). You can spend them by pressing the Upgrades button in the GUI in the Space Center scene. If you need more help, let me know!

The thing in the VAB just lets you see how long something will take at a particular build rate, it doesn't set the build rate.

To set build rates you have to spend upgrade points. You get 15 for free (enough to set one rate to 0.85 BP/s). You can spend them by pressing the Upgrades button in the GUI in the Space Center scene. If you need more help, let me know!

Thanks a ton!

http://www.kersh.com/KCT1.jpg

http://www.kersh.com/KCT2.jpg

Damn, that's some major folds in spacetime.... You might want to check the new horizons thread, the changelog seems to be relevant:

Version 1.5.4 is now live!

Please note that this new version fixes the 1450 ceiling bug, however it come with a price of a new bug of ships appearing at the incorrect position in KSC view. Rest assured they are in their correct positions in game, so don't worry too much!

Also theres mention of a 15 kilometre limit around planets which might be related to a bug I had with ships exploding at 16 kilometres, but that vanished when I uninstalled FAR so I don't know.

Just open up the save file in a text editor and change TotalUpgradePoints = 15 to TotalUpgradePoints = 0. They're freebies for balance, since the default rates used to be 1.0 instead of the 0.1 they are now (overall, the change made you lose 21 points, even when including the 15 free ones. It's 36 total points excluding those.)

Editing the saves does NOT change upgrade point number I can use, it keeps telling me I have 15.

Balance or not, freebies are for filthy casuls :P. Im the kind of player that LOVES early game hell.

Damn, that's some major folds in spacetime.... You might want to check the new horizons thread, the changelog seems to be relevant:

Also theres mention of a 15 kilometre limit around planets which might be related to a bug I had with ships exploding at 16 kilometres, but that vanished when I uninstalled FAR so I don't know.

You are correct MarkAFK. I just removed KCT completely and was able to reproduce the bugs. Its looking like New Horizons is the culprit.

Editing the saves does NOT change upgrade point number I can use, it keeps telling me I have 15.

Balance or not, freebies are for filthy casuls :P. Im the kind of player that LOVES early game hell.

You edited the save while the game wasn't running, correct? Otherwise the change may have been overwritten. I'll double check when I get a chance later, but editing the save should definitely work.

Something odd is going on between Realchute and KCT. I'm fairly certain I shouldn't have 1,000,000+ parachutes in my inventory, but

RealChutes are a procedural part, so they get stored in the inventory the same way all procedural parts do: at 100 times their cost. Check out this github issue to see the past discussion on the topic.

First off, loving KCT! This, paired with the Historian mod, is giving my play through an awesome sense of scale and meaning that I have been craving.

Just wondering if any of you folks have figured out a way to pause construction queue?

I thought it would be cool to try and save some time during construction, so everything fits in before my Duna transfer window.

What I am trying to do:

I am building the launcher for my "Minmus Research Station" (need to pillage Minmus for science, before heading to Duna). As it sits now, that will take 7 days to complete. I want to wait for the Advanced Electrics tech to "research" (taking 9 days). I want to pause the construction of the ship when it has a little bit left, so that I can wait for the solar panels to finish researching. Then I would go in and edit the ship in the build queue to add the new panels. I know that will add build points and time.

I know I could wait till I have 6 days of research left before I start building, but just wondering if I am missing some hidden "pause" queue feature.

What I am trying to do:

I am building the launcher for my "Minmus Research Station" (need to pillage Minmus for science, before heading to Duna). As it sits now, that will take 7 days to complete. I want to wait for the Advanced Electrics tech to "research" (taking 9 days). I want to pause the construction of the ship when it has a little bit left, so that I can wait for the solar panels to finish researching. Then I would go in and edit the ship in the build queue to add the new panels. I know that will add build points and time.

I know I could wait till I have 6 days of research left before I start building, but just wondering if I am missing some hidden "pause" queue feature.

Just edit the ship after it's finished! It'll get put back into the build queue but shouldn't require too much extra time. Alternatively, you could start building some random other thing, put it at the top of the list so the thing you care about isn't being built anymore, and then when your tech is finished you can just scrap the random thing and continue building. I'd make a separate quicksave now and try out both methods if you want, otherwise just editing after it's finished should be fine :)

Just edit the ship after it's finished! It'll get put back into the build queue but shouldn't require too much extra time. Alternatively, you could start building some random other thing, put it at the top of the list so the thing you care about isn't being built anymore, and then when your tech is finished you can just scrap the random thing and continue building. I'd make a separate quicksave now and try out both methods if you want, otherwise just editing after it's finished should be fine :)

Thanks Magico. That is what I ended up doing. I needed a research plane, that took 3 days anyway, to do some Kerbin scouting missions. Would be nice to be able to pause the building queue (maybe there was a KOSHA accident :confused:), in case I didn't have the part, and was waiting for research to finish (without having to build something else). But this work around will serve me fine.

Thanks Magico. That is what I ended up doing. I needed a research plane, that took 3 days anyway, to do some Kerbin scouting missions. Would be nice to be able to pause the building queue (maybe there was a KOSHA accident :confused:), in case I didn't have the part, and was waiting for research to finish (without having to build something else). But this work around will serve me fine.

I still don't quite see how pausing the build is necessary, since you can still edit it after it's finished and it will still take minimal time to complete.