[1.4.1] Kerbal Construction Time 1.4.0.69 (2018-03-24) - Unrapid Planned Assembly

magico13

So, there's a problem I ran into. Whenever I recover my probe it is unflyable or editable as it appears to take in all of the hangar space and so exceed its limit.
I use Real Shutes on these so that might be a problem?
Huge Small Probe

Log

Also, I'd love to have a way to know how much of a percentage of retrieval cost I will get for my distance to KSC; is there one?

Edited by Artfact

3 hours ago, Artfact said:

So, there's a problem I ran into. Whenever I recover my probe it is unflyable or editable as it appears to take in all of the hangar space and so exceed its limit.
I use Real Shutes on these so that might be a problem?
Huge Small Probe

Log

Also, I'd love to have a way to know how much of a percentage of retrieval cost I will get for my distance to KSC; is there one?

With the tens of thousands of exceptions being logged I'm having a hard time finding anything useful. A few things: can you turn on KCT's debug messages in the KCT settings menu, and KerbPaint and ProbeControlRoom are throwing a huge amount of errors.

When using KCT's recovery you actually have to pay to recover the vessel based on the distance (really you get the recovered amount, then KCT takes the full value back). It uses the stock formula for calculating recovery percentages: 100% landed on the launchpad or runway, 98% at KSC, 10% exactly opposite of KSC, and linear between 98% and 10% based on distance (here's a plot for Kerbin, x-axis is km).

On 5/10/2016 at 1:45 PM, kendoka15 said:

Thanks for the update :) I'm getting an unusual bug, where any time I open any other building than VAB or SPH the KCT config menu pops up and I have to close it/save

On 5/19/2016 at 7:51 PM, deprav said:

I'm having the exact same bug, same mod configuration as Kendoka15.

I have to say it feels rather annoying to me ! Not game breaking, but on a scale of 0/10, 10 being annoying to the point I don't want to use the mod, i'd say 7.42/10, calculated with a very precise annoy'o'meter.

Thanks for the mod anyway :)

Development version that fixes this posted on GitHub.

4 hours ago, Whovian41110 said:

So I have a slight problem @magico13. When I try a simulation it locks control and camera control and the staging indicator stays purple.  Here's the log.

I've seen that in the past when a GUI window is behind the simulation configuration GUI. It's likely an Input Lock being stuck on. You can check by opening the debug menu and clicking "show input locks". You should see a few from KCT regarding quicksaving. If you see others, take a picture and upload it somewhere and I might be able to figure out which mod is causing it. You can clear the input locks to resume playing, but don't quicksave while simulating.

Edited by magico13

7 hours ago, magico13 said:

With the tens of thousands of exceptions being logged I'm having a hard time finding anything useful. A few things: can you turn on KCT's debug messages in the KCT settings menu, and KerbPaint and ProbeControlRoom are throwing a huge amount of errors.

When using KCT's recovery you actually have to pay to recover the vessel based on the distance (really you get the recovered amount, then KCT takes the full value back). It uses the stock formula for calculating recovery percentages: 100% landed on the launchpad or runway, 98% at KSC, 10% exactly opposite of KSC, and linear between 98% and 10% based on distance (here's a plot for Kerbin, x-axis is km).

Alright, thanks, I'll remove both Kerbpaint and Probe control room as they don't apear to work in 1.1.2 I'll update all other mods. I'll have a go then with KCT debug on if it proceeds to do this.

Ah, that's useful.:) I'm assuming the max range of 1573.26 is the diameter of Kerbin/farthest point away from KSC? 

2 hours ago, Artfact said:

Alright, thanks, I'll remove both Kerbpaint and Probe control room as they don't apear to work in 1.1.2 I'll update all other mods. I'll have a go then with KCT debug on if it proceeds to do this.

Ah, that's useful.:) I'm assuming the max range of 1573.26 is the diameter of Kerbin/farthest point away from KSC? 

Furthest distance by land, assuming a sphere (if you want to look it up, the distance used is called the Great Circle Distance). In this case it's just half the circumference of the sphere with 600km radius.

Loving the mod. Forgive me if this was posted somewhere and I missed it (checked the manual and a few pages here), but I seem to be getting free upgrade points every once in a while, and I'm not sure the basis on which they're awarded. I'm on the default preset, but when I checked that config file I couldn't tell what formula would be upgrade points or what some of the variables stood for, but I might've missed something.

2 hours ago, ZachPruckowski said:

Loving the mod. Forgive me if this was posted somewhere and I missed it (checked the manual and a few pages here), but I seem to be getting free upgrade points every once in a while, and I'm not sure the basis on which they're awarded. I'm on the default preset, but when I checked that config file I couldn't tell what formula would be upgrade points or what some of the variables stood for, but I might've missed something.

You get an upgrade point with every tech node you unlock.

Hi! Sorry for my English! Is it any formula that hiring a new engineer to lower the building time and decrease roll out? Or when hire a new scientist to increase bonus from R&D? I'm talking about hiring applicants.

Not sure if its ever been suggested, but has there been any thought to adding a "Reusable" variable to the various command pods (and potentially more complex, to every part where appropriate to make a distinction), where if the pod doesn't have the reusable variable then it cannot actually be reused on another launch?  With this mod, if you say, use the Mk 1-2 for every launch but don't run multiple craft at a time (IE, set your craft to build and then just autowarp to finish instead of putting more copies in the build queue) then you essentially are using the exact same pod (even though its the funds, the pod being reused is whats being simulated) for every launch, which isn't that terribly realistic.

Something else, that could perhaps be done if its possible, is to perhaps have it tied to your landing. In real life, pretty much any spacecraft landing in the water is doomed to never be reused without extensive refurbishment (that IIRC would require essentially rebuilding it with new parts anyway). May be it can be set up where the mod detects what biome you landed in (the easiest method I would think. Can't imagine theres any code available to detect whether or not parts have actually touched the water) and determines whether or not the pod can be reused. 

Would introduce issues with planes that are supposed to land in water, but there's always the possibility of also adding a water recoverable toggle to cockpits. 

Hi Magico,

First off, thanks for this mod, have been really having some fun with it on my RO/RSS install. 

Now on to my problem.

I am using RP-0 with this mod and when I select the RP-0 config, then I am not able to select another build rate for a second/third queue. I an only select "Rate 1" to upgrade and there is no upgrade button next to "Rate 2"

The reason want to have a second build rate is because I am using TestFlight as an additional mod. Instead of simulations I run real test flights Having multiples constructions queued helps with speeding up these test flights.

And lastly, I haven't been using this for to long(since KSP 1.1; KSP kept crashing on 32bit), but what are the ways of increasing research and build times other than upgrading Build Time Rates or are these specific ways of gaining BuildPoints?

Thanks again &
Regards,

6 hours ago, Acvila said:

Hi! Sorry for my English! Is it any formula that hiring a new engineer to lower the building time and decrease roll out? Or when hire a new scientist to increase bonus from R&D? I'm talking about hiring applicants.

None of the formulas use crew information like that by default, but many of them support it if you want to add it in yourself. Read through this wiki page and specifically look for the "Crew Variables".

5 hours ago, G'th said:

Not sure if its ever been suggested, but has there been any thought to adding a "Reusable" variable to the various command pods (and potentially more complex, to every part where appropriate to make a distinction), where if the pod doesn't have the reusable variable then it cannot actually be reused on another launch?  With this mod, if you say, use the Mk 1-2 for every launch but don't run multiple craft at a time (IE, set your craft to build and then just autowarp to finish instead of putting more copies in the build queue) then you essentially are using the exact same pod (even though its the funds, the pod being reused is whats being simulated) for every launch, which isn't that terribly realistic.

Something else, that could perhaps be done if its possible, is to perhaps have it tied to your landing. In real life, pretty much any spacecraft landing in the water is doomed to never be reused without extensive refurbishment (that IIRC would require essentially rebuilding it with new parts anyway). May be it can be set up where the mod detects what biome you landed in (the easiest method I would think. Can't imagine theres any code available to detect whether or not parts have actually touched the water) and determines whether or not the pod can be reused. 

Would introduce issues with planes that are supposed to land in water, but there's always the possibility of also adding a water recoverable toggle to cockpits. 

I don't think I'll be adding anything like that in the near future. If I get around to rewriting the inventory code then I'll make it possible to easily add in this sort of functionality.

4 hours ago, Atomsk_za said:

Hi Magico,

First off, thanks for this mod, have been really having some fun with it on my RO/RSS install. 

Now on to my problem.

I am using RP-0 with this mod and when I select the RP-0 config, then I am not able to select another build rate for a second/third queue. I an only select "Rate 1" to upgrade and there is no upgrade button next to "Rate 2"

The reason want to have a second build rate is because I am using TestFlight as an additional mod. Instead of simulations I run real test flights Having multiples constructions queued helps with speeding up these test flights.

And lastly, I haven't been using this for to long(since KSP 1.1; KSP kept crashing on 32bit), but what are the ways of increasing research and build times other than upgrading Build Time Rates or are these specific ways of gaining BuildPoints?

Thanks again &
Regards,

RP-0 restricts the player to 1 build rate per VAB level. A possible workaround would be to use a different KSC for testing than the one you use for launching, since the build queues of different KSCs are separate.

Tech node unlock times are only controlled by the "Development" rate in the Upgrades window. Build times can be reduced by upgrading the build rate, using parts that have been recovered, using parts that have been used frequently in previous builds, and potentially by upgrading the VAB/SPH (depends on the Preset, I don't think the RP-0 one uses this). You can purchase additional upgrade points in the Upgrades window (I think RP-0 has them at a fixed cost of 10,000 funds)

How does the inventory work? How do I get parts in my inventory? Also, what does the "scrap" button do for vessels in the hangar? Do I get a refund, do those parts go to the inventory? Thanks!

5 hours ago, magico13 said:

None of the formulas use crew information like that by default, but many of them support it if you want to add it in yourself. Read through this wiki page and specifically look for the "Crew Variables".

i read that page but i didn't understand it, maybe if u give me an example i will understand. i don't know where to add those crew variables and how. can u write an example with variables for number of engineers and their level to add to the :

BuildRateFormula = "(([I]+1)*0.05*[N] + max(0.1-[I], 0))*sign(2*[L]-[I]+1)"

where should i add those Enk and Enl? and how? i want engineers and scientists to make a sense to buy them. something like one engineer lvl 1 add 20% increase and lvl 5 100% increase in build rate

3 hours ago, subyng said:

How does the inventory work? How do I get parts in my inventory? Also, what does the "scrap" button do for vessels in the hangar? Do I get a refund, do those parts go to the inventory? Thanks!

The basics of the inventory are that parts are added to it when you recover them (using the stock recovery mechanics) and using parts from the inventory results in a reduced build time. Parts are automatically added to the inventory when you recover vessels, and are automatically removed from the inventory when you build new vessels (unless you uncheck the "Use parts from the inventory" button). If you want to have the absolute minimal build time, you want to construct things using parts exclusively from the inventory.

The scrap button is similar to recovering the vessel. You get a 100% refund and all the parts are added to the inventory. If you scrap an in-progress vessel you get a 100% refund and only some of the parts are added to the inventory (based on how far along the vessel was).

1 hour ago, Acvila said:

i read that page but i didn't understand it, maybe if u give me an example i will understand. i don't know where to add those crew variables and how. can u write an example with variables for number of engineers and their level to add to the :

BuildRateFormula = "(([I]+1)*0.05*[N] + max(0.1-[I], 0))*sign(2*[L]-[I]+1)"

where should i add those Enk and Enl? and how? i want engineers and scientists to make a sense to buy them. something like one engineer lvl 1 add 20% increase and lvl 5 100% increase in build rate

Where you add them depends on what you want them to do. If you wanted a build rate entirely governed by the levels of Engineers at KSC you might try:

BuildRateFormula = "0.1*([EnL]+1)*sign(2*[L]-[I]+1)"

which would give you 2 build rates per VAB upgrade with each one at 0.1 BP/s per Engineer Level + 0.1BP/s base. (5 total combined levels at KSC would result in 0.6 BP/s). The "sign()" part is only setting the total number of build rates per VAB level ([ I] is the index of the rate, starting at 0, and [L] is the VAB/SPH level. When the value of the inside of sign() goes negative, sign is -1 and the rate is disabled. When it's 0 or positive sign() is +1)

Or here's one that adds a build rate of 0.75 for every engineer at KSC (+1 rate in case there are none).

BuildRateFormula = "0.75*sign([EnK]-[I])"

Oh, I somehow missed that you explained what you wanted. Let me see if I can come up with something that might be close.

BuildRateFormula = "(([I]+1)*0.05*[N] + max(0.1-[I], 0))*sign(2*[L]-[I]+1) * (1+([EnL]*0.2))"

Now, this would add 20% for each level of engineer at KSC, so if you had 2 engineer kerbals with a combined level of 7 (perhaps a lvl 4 and a lvl 3) then it would be 140% faster. You could divide by the number of kerbals at KSC to try to mitigate that but hiring a new engineer would lower the average. You could also wrap it in a "max()" to set a maximum limit. Here's an alternative that adds only 10% each level, up to a maximum of 100% bonus (or twice as fast) at 10 total levels

BuildRateFormula = "(([I]+1)*0.05*[N] + max(0.1-[I], 0))*sign(2*[L]-[I]+1) * max(1+([EnL]*0.1), 2)"

Edited by magico13

10 hours ago, magico13 said:

The basics of the inventory are that parts are added to it when you recover them (using the stock recovery mechanics) and using parts from the inventory results in a reduced build time. Parts are automatically added to the inventory when you recover vessels, and are automatically removed from the inventory when you build new vessels (unless you uncheck the "Use parts from the inventory" button). If you want to have the absolute minimal build time, you want to construct things using parts exclusively from the inventory.

The scrap button is similar to recovering the vessel. You get a 100% refund and all the parts are added to the inventory. If you scrap an in-progress vessel you get a 100% refund and only some of the parts are added to the inventory (based on how far along the vessel was).

Where you add them depends on what you want them to do. If you wanted a build rate entirely governed by the levels of Engineers at KSC you might try:

BuildRateFormula = "0.1*([EnL]+1)*sign(2*[L]-[I]+1)"

which would give you 2 build rates per VAB upgrade with each one at 0.1 BP/s per Engineer Level + 0.1BP/s base. (5 total combined levels at KSC would result in 0.6 BP/s). The "sign()" part is only setting the total number of build rates per VAB level ([ I] is the index of the rate, starting at 0, and [L] is the VAB/SPH level. When the value of the inside of sign() goes negative, sign is -1 and the rate is disabled. When it's 0 or positive sign() is +1)

Or here's one that adds a build rate of 0.75 for every engineer at KSC (+1 rate in case there are none).

BuildRateFormula = "0.75*sign([EnK]-[I])"

Oh, I somehow missed that you explained what you wanted. Let me see if I can come up with something that might be close.

BuildRateFormula = "(([I]+1)*0.05*[N] + max(0.1-[I], 0))*sign(2*[L]-[I]+1) * (1+([EnL]*0.2))"

Now, this would add 20% for each level of engineer at KSC, so if you had 2 engineer kerbals with a combined level of 7 (perhaps a lvl 4 and a lvl 3) then it would be 140% faster. You could divide by the number of kerbals at KSC to try to mitigate that but hiring a new engineer would lower the average. You could also wrap it in a "max()" to set a maximum limit. Here's an alternative that adds only 10% each level, up to a maximum of 100% bonus (or twice as fast) at 10 total levels

BuildRateFormula = "(([I]+1)*0.05*[N] + max(0.1-[I], 0))*sign(2*[L]-[I]+1) * max(1+([EnL]*0.1), 2)"

Thanks Magico! Now my game should be perfect. I have a reason to hire as many kerbals as i can. No more unemployment on Kerbin. i will also try to modify research formula.

i now use these formulas for science and build :

researchformula :  [N]*0.5/86400  * (1+([ScK]*0.1) ) * (1+([ScL]*0.1))  and

buildrateformula :  ((+1)*0.05*[N] + max(0.1-, 0))*sign(2*[L]-+1) * (1+([EnK]*0.1) ) * (1+([EnL]*0.1))

seems to work both

Edited by Acvila

I have the experimental version of Flight Manager for Reusable Stages, and I'm not sure if KCT simulations are working optimally with it. Using a FMRS jump causes the simulation menu to lose the "Restart Simulation" and "Revert to Editor" buttons, leaving just the "Build it!" and "Close" ones. Is this intended behavior?

34 minutes ago, awang said:

I have the experimental version of Flight Manager for Reusable Stages, and I'm not sure if KCT simulations are working optimally with it. Using a FMRS jump causes the simulation menu to lose the "Restart Simulation" and "Revert to Editor" buttons, leaving just the "Build it!" and "Close" ones. Is this intended behavior?

That would indicate that the game no longer will let you revert to the editor or to launch, which probably would happen with just FMRS+Stock. You can check that by pressing the escape button and seeing if it will let you revert through that menu. If so, that's not a KCT problem. Assuming the jump isn't totally breaking the simulations (wholly possible that it is, btw. There are reasons quicksaving/quickloading is disabled.) you should still be able to exit the simulation by returning to the space center.

5 minutes ago, awang said:

Another question -- "Disable part failures" during simulations doesn't seem to be working. Did something change recently that broke that function?

Probably a change in TestFlight. That feature was added a long while back and TestFlight has undoubtedly made some changes since then. Edit: Also, KCT's simulations are being deprecated so there's a good chance that won't get fixed.

Edited by magico13

Gave the mod a try and really loved the day or two I got out of it.

Just the various parts not resetting got to me, now I know I can manually edit the modules template but im lazy and want to play my game with the little time I do have. It seems like quite a process. I do of course stand corrected, might be pretty simple.

I do however use the simulation as standalone now, because that is something I felt was lacking....punisment for testing in my permadeath game. And for this I thank you has improved my experience by 43%. 

I'm experiencing a game breaking bug in conjunction with kerbin side:
whenever i try to launch from a site other than the standard ksc, I get this weird screen with ksc error message.
after that I can just quit ksp by force.

here is the log and the mod list. I already verified that disabling ksc I can launch without problem from any site