[0.24.2]MapResourceOverlay for Science,Karbonite/MKS and biomes VERSION 0.2.7

Cyrik

Hi,

here is the first release version of Map Resource Overlay. If you have any bugs/questions/ideas feel free to post them.

VERSION 0.2.7(03.10.14)

Distribution:

Release

Source

CC BY SA License

Usage:

Look at any planet with Karbonite/MKS minable resources. Click the red toolbar icon to disable/enable and choose the resource to be displayed. SCANSat integration is optional and can be toggled. It uses more resources, still working on that.

Height and biome maps work with and without SCANSat, but the code to generate them is taken straight from them. Thats why there is a SCANSat License included.

Science maps are very experimental. They shouldn't break anything but they aren't fully functional and is subject to change.

Requirements:

blitzys toolbar(optional)

Karbonite or MKS(optional, need for resource display)

here are some pics:

FXaIP8n.png

Science:

HXkx7v7.png

Scansat integration:

G7gOF5o.png

biomes:

3Cy4KsB.pngsDqvYCU.png

Bright option with tooltip:

lzF7PW9.png

Color option wit cutoff:

hPiM52N.png

Cutoff 100ppm:

3AMLljz.png

options:

VxqXuRD.png

Changelog:

Version 0.2.7: ORSX and Linux fix

Version 0.2.6:-Licensing stuff

Version 0.2.5:-exponential resource scale-fixed log(0)

-active button marked

-anomaly overlay

-individual cutoffs for resources

Version 0.2.4: -way faster science overlay

-logarithmic and color resource scaling

Version 0.2.3: -ORS independence

-better science overlay

Version 0.2.2: -added height and biome maps

-experimental science maps

-avc support

-fixed behavior while paused

-api alpha added

Version 0.2.1: -added color configs in PluginData

-Tooltips can be disabled

-fixed cutoff to be ppm

-fixed tooltips during pause

Version 0.2: -added brightness toggle

-added a display cuttoff

-preference are saved

Version 0.01.3: -SCANSat integration

Version 0.01.2: -new Icon

-multiple overlays fixed

-tooltips added

Version 0.01.1: -Paths fixed for Linux and Mac

-Off by default

Version 0.01.0: initial release

Window.cs and parts of Utilities.cs by TaranisElsu. Original found at:https://github.com/taraniselsu/TacLifeSupport

Part of the Tooltip calculation code by the MechJeb team. Original found at: https://github.com/MuMech/MechJeb2

Shader.txt derived from Majir's Kethane. Original found at: https://github.com/Majiir/Kethane

Part of the ScansatWrapper.cs by the SCANSat team. Original found at: https://github.com/S-C-A-N/SCANsat

This mod includes version checking using MiniAVC. If you opt-in, it will use the internet to check whether there is a new version available. Data is only read from the internet and no personal information is sent. For a more comprehensive version checking experience, please download the KSP-AVC Plugin.

Edited by Cyrik
new version

Sweet, grats on the release.

Is there a config file, I'd prefer to default to off and scansat to on myself, so if i can change it for myself, that'd be awesome, either way, thanks, I can live with 2 clicks to get nice looking overlays when I want them.

Sweet, grats on the release.

Is there a config file, I'd prefer to default to off and scansat to on myself, so if i can change it for myself, that'd be awesome, either way, thanks, I can live with 2 clicks to get nice looking overlays when I want them.

The 0.2 release should be saving your preference in your savegame so that you get your settings back when you reload or restart.

The 0.2 release should be saving your preference in your savegame so that you get your settings back when you reload or restart.

Ahh, it's cause I was constantly reverting due to playing with kerbcam, so there wasn't a save. After it autosaved it did remember the settings, so sweet!

Let me do a runthrough and I will answer that. Quick query - do different resources have different colors?

Nope. Standard is (0,0,0) to (255,0,0) in strength. Bright option is (255,0,0) to (255,255,255). Changing the color calculation is pretty easy though, so I´m open to suggestions.

Nope. Standard is (0,0,0) to (255,0,0) in strength. Bright option is (255,0,0) to (255,255,255). Changing the color calculation is pretty easy though, so I´m open to suggestions.

Let me play with it. I have a couple of thoughts. Is that set up as a config option? That would be ideal.

Let me play with it. I have a couple of thoughts. Is that set up as a config option? That would be ideal.

There's no config yet. You can only enable and disable the bright mode.

Would you want to put something like "Karbonite: (0,x,0); Water: (100,0,x);" into the config or something more elaborate?

There's no config yet. You can only enable and disable the bright mode.

Would you want to put something like "Karbonite: (0,x,0); Water: (100,0,x);" into the config or something more elaborate?

Sure, probably something simple like Karbonite,0,0,0,255,0,0,Water,0,0,0,0,0,255 (So resource, low rgb, high rgb)

btw mine is not coming up for some reason - probably something I did wrong :P Buttons give me no overlay over Kerbin

Sure, probably something simple like Karbonite,0,0,0,255,0,0,Water,0,0,0,0,0,255 (So resource, low rgb, high rgb)

btw mine is not coming up for some reason - probably something I did wrong :P Buttons give me no overlay over Kerbin

K, gonna put in a config for that.

About your problem: I´m guessing the last version worked for you and you don't get any errors in your log?:)

The only thing I can think of that might break the new version compared to the old one is if you jump straight into flight mode from the main menu. The scenario load code gets executed the first time you get to the SpaceCenter scene. If you skip that the real part of the mod wont get loaded

I might have overdone it a bit, but the next version will have this config in its PluginData folder:

globalSettings
{
colorConfigs
{
Karbonite
{
Resource = ResourceName=Karbonite,ScansatName=Karbonite
LowColor = (0,0,0,0)
HighColor = (255,0,0,200)
}
Ore
{
Resource = ResourceName=Ore,ScansatName=Ore
LowColor = (0,0,0,0)
HighColor = (0,255,0,200)
}
Water
{
Resource = ResourceName=Water,ScansatName=Aquifer
LowColor = (0,0,0,0)
HighColor = (0,0,255,200)
}
Minerals
{
Resource = ResourceName=Minerals,ScansatName=Minerals
LowColor = (0,0,0,0)
HighColor = (0,255,255,200)
}
Substrate
{
Resource = ResourceName=Substrate,ScansatName=Substrate
LowColor = (0,0,0,0)
HighColor = (255,0,255,200)
}
}
}

its a bit over specified, but that way i can add stuff to it without breaking the old version.

This Cyrik is one of the best things since scanning in the background while fly an other ship! This is truely awesome but as a v0.2 it needs obviously some polishing. If I'm allowed to give my suggestions here are a few.

- Like Rover said a different collor for each resource would be nice. Probably the possibility to change the collor ingame or in a config file.

- It would be nice to set the min amount that is needed to make it visible to an amount in ppm instead of an value between 0 and 254. I'm not sure if it's possible (like for anything else I suggest) but if it is it would be nice to see it implemented.

- Also the possibility to change the opacity of the overlay would be nice.

- Since ORS is realy open a way of implementing own resources (probably with its own color) would be nice too.

- A way of enable and disable the window that shwows the resoure an the amount of it would be usefull. Probably enable it while pressing a key or a combination of keys (alt + I for Information or something like that)

Probably a little bug-report. It's maybe a thing in ORS and not your mod.

- The amount of Karbonite (it is also on any other resource) in the window that shwows the resoure an the amount of it is sometimes shown in % instead of ppm.

All of this is mabye curently in development. I will test your mod and will give you my feedback if I found something else. Keep the work going on this one has a lot of potential!

(English isn't my native speech so I'm sorry for any mistake)

EDIT: Well I see in the time I wrote it you made the first one true. I'm sorry!

Edited by gh7531

its a bit over specified, but that way i can add stuff to it without breaking the old version.

I like this config its realy clear which value does what. The only one I don't understand is at

HighColor = (0,255,255,200)
the 200. The first three numbers are RGB but for what is the fourth?

This Cyrik is one of the best things since scanning in the background while fly an other ship! This is truely awesome but as a v0.2 it needs obviously some polishing. If I'm allowed to give my suggestions here are a few.

- Like Rover said a different collor for each resource would be nice. Probably the possibility to change the collor ingame or in a config file.

- It would be nice to set the min amount that is needed to make it visible to an amount in ppm instead of an value between 0 and 254. I'm not sure if it's possible (like for anything else I suggest) but if it is it would be nice to see it implemented.

- Also the possibility to change the opacity of the overlay would be nice.

- Since ORS is realy open a way of implementing own resources (probably with its own color) would be nice too.

- A way of enable and disable the window that shwows the resoure an the amount of it would be usefull. Probably enable it while pressing a key or a combination of keys (alt + I for Information or something like that)

Probably a little bug-report. It's maybe a thing in ORS and not your mod.

- The amount of Karbonite (it is also on any other resource) in the window that shwows the resoure an the amount of it is sometimes shown in % instead of ppm.

All of this is mabye curently in development. I will test your mod and will give you my feedback if I found something else. Keep the work going on this one has a lot of potential!

(English isn't my native speech so I'm sorry for any mistake)

EDIT: Well I see in the time I wrote it you made the first one true. I'm sorry!

Awesome feedback, thank you.

Like you said, the first one is done. The second one is also done and already in the the version you have, unless there's a bug. The cutoff point you are setting is in ppm:)

Opacity change for every resource is also in the color config.

For other mods: I´m waiting for the new release of ORS that will give me the ability to easily see which resources are loaded. The change is already in there and I hope the release will be out soon.

Information window: I´m guessing you mean the tooltip when you go over the planet. You are right, I will put in an option to disable it in the next version.

the % thingy: yeah thats an ORS thing. I copied the way ORS displays it. I will change it to always show ppm for consistency.

thanks again for the great feedback. hope you have fun with the mod:)

Awesome, this is a fantastic addition to karbonite, and SCANsat. The orange beach balls were not exactly helpfull, but this should make landing in good areas much much more simple.

Might I suggest adding in AVC (Automatic Version Checker) compatability, specially if it's still under active development?

Awesome feedback, thank you.

Like you said, the first one is done. The second one is also done and already in the the version you have, unless there's a bug. The cutoff point you are setting is in ppm:)

Opacity change for every resource is also in the color config.

For other mods: I´m waiting for the new release of ORS that will give me the ability to easily see which resources are loaded. The change is already in there and I hope the release will be out soon.

Information window: I´m guessing you mean the tooltip when you go over the planet. You are right, I will put in an option to disable it in the next version.

the % thingy: yeah thats an ORS thing. I copied the way ORS displays it. I will change it to always show ppm for consistency.

thanks again for the great feedback. hope you have fun with the mod:)

oh you were right, the cuttoff was for 0-255 not for ppm. fixing it right now

Awesome, this is a fantastic addition to karbonite, and SCANsat. The orange beach balls were not exactly helpfull, but this should make landing in good areas much much more simple.

Might I suggest adding in AVC (Automatic Version Checker) compatability, specially if it's still under active development?

+1 for AVC, would love to see that project take off.

FYI I did mine on a clean install - will try again shortly, sorting out some other mod work at the moment

+1 for AVC, would love to see that project take off.

FYI I did mine on a clean install - will try again shortly, sorting out some other mod work at the moment

Going to start looking into AVC now. Haven´t even seen it till you guys mentioned it.

I bet you forgot to install MKS or Tooltips in your clean install:P Otherwise i might have some dependency i don't know about

- - - Updated - - -

new version is out, go grab it and enjoy!:)

In anticipation of this mod being integrated into the stock toolbar, I've made a few variations of an icon for said toolbar. It can be resized to fit blizzy's toolbar too, if the stock toolbar integration is still a long ways away. Not that you're obliged to take any of my designs. If ányone has suggestions for improvements, etc. I'd be glad to hear them.

r6S1DTH.png

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but would it be possible to display the various maps generated by SCANSAT (the biome map or the height map) using the Overlay?

In anticipation of this mod being integrated into the stock toolbar, I've made a few variations of an icon for said toolbar. It can be resized to fit blizzy's toolbar too, if the stock toolbar integration is still a long ways away. Not that you're obliged to take any of my designs. If ányone has suggestions for improvements, etc. I'd be glad to hear them.

http://i.imgur.com/r6S1DTH.png

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but would it be possible to display the various maps generated by SCANSAT (the biome map or the height map) using the Overlay?

Oh I really like the icons, thank you!

And I´ve been thinking about extending the overlays to other stuff, but I haven't looked into it yet. I like the idea though and will check if i can get the information I need out of Scansat.

EDIT:

I´ve just looked over it and it seems very possible. I will have to clean up my code a bit since it's not made for doing that, but cleaning up code is a good thing anyway:)

Edited by Cyrik

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.