[0.24.2]MapResourceOverlay for Science,Karbonite/MKS and biomes VERSION 0.2.7

Cyrik

I asked this question over at scansat and they told me about this mod.

Out of curiosity, would it be possible to change the texture of the planet to reflect the parts that you actually scanned?

Let's say you want to land on duna, when you get there the whole planet is black (or something similar) then activate scansat and when you scan a region the original texture will become visible on the planet

to give an example:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65401284/duna.jpg

maybe this could be limited to probes...

Do you think something like this could be possible?

And is available for installation via CKAN now :)

Thanks hakan! I'm a big fan of CKAN.

- - - Updated - - -

I've learned quite about about your mod, Karbonite, and Regolith in the past 24 hours. I am seeing a map at least similar to your when I select Karbonite.

The problem it appeared was that I had the "Resource" button clicked but no actual resources selected. Once I clicked the Karbonite button, I started seeing concentration maps. So I think I'm good, just have to remember to go one menu deeper whenever things don't look right.

Also, you have all resource cutoffs at 0%. I can't do that. In my game, at least one value must be 1% or higher. I highlight the "1" in Karbonite and type "0" and nothing happens. If I instead type "2" it changes to 2% cutoff. If I change another value from 0 to 1, I can chagne that value back to 0 but the original value I cannot change back. Ever seen that one before?

And before you think I'm picking apart your mod, I'll tell you I nailed a landing in a relatively abundant area on Mun with ease today, and it was quite fun to use the overlay in both the planning and execution phases of the landing. So thanks! :)

Glad you like it! Well, your thanks should go mostly to the awesome Cyrik, who made the mod. I'm just the guy who switched to Regolith and is keeping the show running in the event Cyrik shows back up. I am tinkering with some improvements to the display options. Mostly right now the exponential and logrithmic plots aren't very useful. I'll look into the cutoff behavior when I'm under the hood there.

If you have scansat and the resource overlay it already can do that.

can it hide the surface of the planet? meaning that when I get there with a probe I can't see anything on the surface of the planet (black planet or something like that)

and then after the scan starts working, pieces of planet texture start showing...

I thought this mod just added more info to the planet

Edited by Sigma88

@Sigma88 - you mean basically have the planet surface blacked out and only reveal portions of it when scanned via a scansat instrument? Sort of a fog of war kind of thing? I think that would be possible - basically it would throw a shroud up over the planet. I'd imagine there would have to be some exception for Kerbin, otherwise it'd be weird launching w/o a map in career mode. Just thinking out loud here.

can it hide the surface of the planet? meaning that when I get there with a probe I can't see anything on the surface of the planet (black planet or something like that)

and then after the scan starts working, pieces of planet texture start showing...

I thought this mod just added more info to the planet

I guess im not undertanding. Since this is an "overlay", yes it adds an overlay to the planet itself. So it isn't going to "black out" the actual planet. Because you are looking at the actual planet. But with scansat the overlay will only show what portions have been scanned.

I guess im not undertanding. Since this is an "overlay", yes it adds an overlay to the planet itself. So it isn't going to "black out" the actual planet. Because you are looking at the actual planet. But with scansat the overlay will only show what portions have been scanned.

what I'm looking for is a way to simulate the fact that kerbals do not know how the planets look, so when you send a probe to a planet you should not see how the planet's surface looks like... What I'd like to have is a way to "hide" the surface of the planet and show the texture only on the places scanned with scansat.

but I guess this is something above the aim of this mod... and quite frankly I don't think many people are into this kind of thing, which is surprising to me to be honest

- - - Updated - - -

@Sigma88 - you mean basically have the planet surface blacked out and only reveal portions of it when scanned via a scansat instrument? Sort of a fog of war kind of thing? I think that would be possible - basically it would throw a shroud up over the planet. I'd imagine there would have to be some exception for Kerbin, otherwise it'd be weird launching w/o a map in career mode. Just thinking out loud here.

exactly, my point is that since kerbals never went to space before you came along (correct me if I'm wrong) they should have the knowledge about the planets limited of what you can get with land telescopes. so size, color, mass and orbit.

If I was able to script in ksp I would probably start with simply changing the texture of the planets to a monocolored sphere (you can see mars is red, but you don't really know much about the surface)

for kerbin it could be assumed previous knowledge about the planet, or if you want to be 100% honest you should start with a texture of kerbin looking something like this:

photo01-maps.jpg

the same would be true for the mun and minmus, except the mun texture would be complete because using land telescopes you can get a near-to-100% accurate map of the mun's near side, far side still would be blackened (or grayed since we know the color :D )

Edited by Sigma88

Has anyone made an 0.90 fix for this yet? Obviously the main version on the OP is dated. I threw it on my install and it went nuts. I had three different buttons for the mod, all doing the same thing. Never tried the features, but checked the logs and it was going INSANE with nullrefs and other stuff which I could definitely trace back to this.

EDIT: read a few pages pack, grabbing the 0.90 Regolith version now.

Edited by Captain Sierra
read the damn thread moron :P

@Sigma88 I just don't see that idea to begin with, and certainly not as part of this particular mod.

First off in my opinion it does not seem plausible that kerbals have achieved rocket technology capable of reaching all of the celestial bodies in their system, yet they never developed telescopes?

in particular with this mod, It is an "overlay". So for example if I am looking at the Mun, I am actually looking at it. Either from my capsule in orbit, or a satellite (presumably capable of sending back the signals. So I know what the surface looks like cause I'm staring right at the thing. I turn on my resource overlay and boom, it overlays the resources kind of like a heads up display.

what I'm looking for is a way to simulate the fact that kerbals do not know how the planets look, so when you send a probe to a planet you should not see how the planet's surface looks like... What I'd like to have is a way to "hide" the surface of the planet and show the texture only on the places scanned with scansat.

but I guess this is something above the aim of this mod... and quite frankly I don't think many people are into this kind of thing, which is surprising to me to be honest

It's an intriguing idea actually for the other planets/moons. I'd argue we had a pretty good map of the Earth prior to our space program. For other planets, filling out the map would either require exploration/scanning or bold adventures into the unknown. Both would add challenge for hardcore player. This mod as it currently exists isn't well suited for this, but it could be adapted. This one works by putting an overlay over the surface of the planet (in some cases mountains 'peak' over the overlay).

@goldenpsp is on the right track that I think enough would change to make it a new mod on its own.

@Sigma88 I just don't see that idea to begin with, and certainly not as part of this particular mod.

I knew it was a stretch when I asked, and of course it's not a part of this mod right now, but I hope that putting the word out there can interest some modder enough that they decide to give it a try

First off in my opinion it does not seem plausible that kerbals have achieved rocket technology capable of reaching all of the celestial bodies in their system, yet they never developed telescopes?

This is exactly what I said in my post, they had telescopes but not space telescopes.

Of course they will have a good idea of what duna looks like, but no way they knew how the far side of the mun looks like, or even have a high resolution image of duna's "dunography" (if you pass me the word :D )

in particular with this mod, It is an "overlay". So for example if I am looking at the Mun, I am actually looking at it. Either from my capsule in orbit, or a satellite (presumably capable of sending back the signals. So I know what the surface looks like cause I'm staring right at the thing. I turn on my resource overlay and boom, it overlays the resources kind of like a heads up display.

with kerbals that's ok, but with probes they don't have cameras so you don't have images to send back to kerbin, unless you suppose that the probe cores are equipped with a camera. then the whole point of my idea is moot

It's an intriguing idea actually for the other planets/moons. I'd argue we had a pretty good map of the Earth prior to our space program. For other planets, filling out the map would either require exploration/scanning or bold adventures into the unknown. Both would add challenge for hardcore player. This mod as it currently exists isn't well suited for this, but it could be adapted. This one works by putting an overlay over the surface of the planet (in some cases mountains 'peak' over the overlay).

@goldenpsp is on the right track that I think enough would change to make it a new mod on its own.

I too think it's intriguing, but I have the feeling nobody has much interest in it, which is odd given how much people are obsessed with realism in this game :D

I posted here mainly because I thought a black overlay could have been created to obscure the surface, or something like that, I don't really know how much liberty gives KSP when comes to modding.

changing the planet's texture seems a better way to aproach it, but I am not sure it can be updated in "real-time" while the satellite is scanning

PS:

if the OP thinks I'm derailing the thread just give me a word and I'll stop bothering you ;)

Edited by Sigma88

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I'm sure this will of been covered but I've tried searching the thread and can't find it.

Is this meant to display in the flight scene...? I've installed the mod, loaded up KSP and the overlay is being displayed in the sky over Kerbin when I get to the pad/runway. I can turn the overlay off, but it seems to default to being on with every new launch.

@a__gun Yes, it does display on flight view by default. Bugs the heck out of me, personally. I found out today Regolith support broke, so I need to fix that. While I'm under the hood, I'm going to try and turn it off in flight, but on during the map. If it's easy, I'll put that in a new version.

I'd just like to say that I'm so glad this mod is being maintained. I love it! Coupled with ScanSat, it really enriches the game for me. I also wholeheartedly agree that the overlay should only be visible in map view. If I remember correctly, when this mod was first being developed, that particular bug/feature really split people's opinions - some people loved the overlay in the flight window while others (including yours truly) really really didn't. Whether that bug be squashed or not, I'm looking forward to the next update. If you're in need of able grown-ups for play testing, I'd love to help out.

Keep up the good work

@5thHorseman, I hadn't thought of using the tooltip that way! Good call. I've added an option that toggles the tooltip on in flight.

@rextable, thanks. I'm glad others are getting use out of this. Props as always to Cyrik, who did all the heavy lifting. I fixed it up for myself and then realized others might want it as well. I have disabled the overlay in flight view. Let's see how that goes.

A new version is on the way soon ( a few days). I've got the latest version of Regolith working, displays look great. I added uraninite in to the display and patched up the overlay in flight stuff. I need to test ScanSat 10 integration and I'm thinking of tweaking/removing the exponential view.

My plan is to put a release in here and when I hear back that it works from a few people, I'll start a new thread.

@5thHorseman, I hadn't thought of using the tooltip that way! Good call. I've added an option that toggles the tooltip on in flight.

@rextable, thanks. I'm glad others are getting use out of this. Props as always to Cyrik, who did all the heavy lifting. I fixed it up for myself and then realized others might want it as well. I have disabled the overlay in flight view. Let's see how that goes.

A new version is on the way soon ( a few days). I've got the latest version of Regolith working, displays look great. I added uraninite in to the display and patched up the overlay in flight stuff. I need to test ScanSat 10 integration and I'm thinking of tweaking/removing the exponential view.

My plan is to put a release in here and when I hear back that it works from a few people, I'll start a new thread.

Awesome work. I think the best way to go to please everyone would be to have user-configurable defaults for each scene, i.e. the user can decide for themselves if they want the overlay (and separately the tooltips) to display by default for each scene.

Thanks. Keep up the great work. It is very appreciated.

OK folks, I have MapResourceOverlay working with the latest SCANSat and Regolith. Try it out and let me know how it goes. Please note there are more toggles this time around as the overlay and tooltips are turned off at first. I'll look into a new thread once I get a few "yeah, it works!" confirmations.

*Tested with Regolith 0.1.5 and SCANSat 10.

Thanks to Cyrik for writing a mod some awesome I had to update it for 0.90. I did the 0.90 updates and updated Regolith/SCANSat support, everything else is Cyrik except as noted below.

Changes include:

* Updated for Regolith 0.1.5

* Updated for SCANSAT 10

* By default overlay and tooltip disabled in flight view

* Added toggles for flight tooltip and overlay

* Added toggle for Regolith Biome Lock

* Added additional CRP crustal resources (uraninite)

* Fixed issue with duplicate buttons on stock toolbar

* Minor renaming on setting config files.

* Refactoring as appropriate.

Distribution:

Release <--- Download link here

Source

CC BY SA License

Window.cs and parts of Utilities.cs by TaranisElsu. Original found at:https://github.com/taraniselsu/TacLifeSupport

Part of the Tooltip calculation code by the MechJeb team. Original found at: https://github.com/MuMech/MechJeb2

Shader.txt derived from Majir's Kethane. Original found at: https://github.com/Majiir/Kethane

Part of the ScansatWrapper.cs by the SCANSat team. Original found at: https://github.com/S-C-A-N/SCANsat

CKAN got the update and I tested that on my main KSP install. Seems to work fine.

In other news, it looks like the new stock resource system (which is reportedly similar to Karbonite/Regolith) for 1.0 is going to have an overlay:

http://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/2u9hrb/a_sneak_peek_at_resources/

tUUjQPY.png

Awesome work. I think the best way to go to please everyone would be to have user-configurable defaults for each scene, i.e. the user can decide for themselves if they want the overlay (and separately the tooltips) to display by default for each scene.

Good call ;)

@ atomicfury re Squad's stock resouce system: Interesting development eh? It looks as though their resource overlay is projected onto the surface of the body it-self rather than an invisible layer above the surface a la MapResourceOverlay. How might they be doing this? With an additional texture layer or something a little more sophisticated - Regolith/scansat/MRO real-time computational projection stylie??? Am I correct in recalling that RoverDude is collaborating with Squad on a resource system? Either way, I think projection directly onto the surface looks great! Imagine being able to do that for biomes, height and slope maps and anomalies too.

... Speaking of anomalies.... Might there a way for MRO to utilize the icons from ScanSat, the stock GUI elements utilized by mods like In-flight Weypoints, or a combination there of to display anomaly locations in the map view? Furthermore, once an anomaly has been investigated, could the aforementioned GUI elements/icons turn a different color and, upon mouse over, give a brief description of said anomaly in MRO's existing tooltip? ... Just some thoughts - sorry if they've already been... er... thunked in this thread or elsewhere :)

x

Edited by rextable

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.