[0.24.2]MapResourceOverlay for Science,Karbonite/MKS and biomes VERSION 0.2.7

Cyrik

So...

I've been playing around with this mod for a while now and can confirm that it works as well as it ever has. Yay! Thank you and well done Atomicfury for keeping us all in recourse overlay loveliness. However, some of the long standing issues still remain. I know they've been raised before but I'd like to summerise them again to mark this mod's progress as of Atomicfury's latest patch.

• Height map obscures orbit path overlay of the active vessel in map view.
  • No opacity setting for height map in cfg file
  • Resource maps obscure orbit path overlay of active vessel in map view. Reducing the opacity of each resource in the mod's cfg file reduces this problem but does not solve it.
  • Switching focused body causes the tooltip to fail to appear on the newly selected body.
  • Clicking 'Resource Options' tab doesn't close any existing instances of the 'Resource Overlay Options' window (as one might expect) but instead opens a new instance, with infinite instances possible.
  • Clicking the MRO icon in Blizzy's toolbar does not close the map overlay window but instead moves it to its default starting position on the screen

None of these problems are catastrophic game breaking bugs but rather niggles that impair the mod's presentation and functionality a little. I have not tried this with other mods other than Scansat and Karbonite (and it's associated bits and bobs) so, who knows how it'll behave with a heavily modded game. Finally, for what it's worth, my thoughts on how I feel the mod could be further refined:

• Have the MRO Icon in the toolbar toggle the map overlay as well as ALL associated windows.
  • Record and recall the state of said windows so that when they are closed and re-opened they are in the same place and look the same as before.
  • Move all gameplay options to a right click menu available through the MRO toolbar icon.
  • Make it so the tooltip only appears when held momentarily over a point on a body surface thus removing the need enable/disable it so often.
  • Reduce the default size of the 'Map Overlay' and 'Resource Overlay Options' windows
  • Further integration with Scansat - utilizing its anomaly markers and its new colour palette options for example. The ideal being to never need to open Scansat's 2D map windows ;):D
  • improve the resolution of all maps
  • Add option to use stock toolbar
  • Add ability to designate and name landing sites???

R x

Any chance this could be made more dependent on Karbonite's Detector Array? Like an option to only allow the overlay when you have a Detector Array on the active ship? Or even better, have the Detector Array use ship energy, when you're using it to view the overlay?

Why should that be the case? Even if a ship doesn't have a scanner itself, it could still access the data from the ships that have done the scanning.

umm, what do you mean.. that's not how it works right now.. Even if I NEVER use a Detector Array, this mod still shows the map resources... If I click-focus on a planet I've never been to, the map STILL shows resources.. :/ That's waaaay too cheaty.. I'd rather be required to at least have a Detector Array, and be in orbit, in order to see the overlay.

Frankly, I just want a lightweight mod, that shows where Karbonite is, and relies on the Detector Array and ship energy (Just for initial scanning, obviously you don't need energy or a scanner, once you've already recorded a map). I've tried using ScanSAT, but I couldn't get it to properly work, and it's too bloated with unnecessary features.. And for some reason, the mod maker for Karbonite, removed the ability of the mod to show Karbonite, without using another mod. -_- *sigh* Maybe I just need to wait for the official resource update..

• 2 weeks later...
umm, what do you mean.. that's not how it works right now.. Even if I NEVER use a Detector Array, this mod still shows the map resources... If I click-focus on a planet I've never been to, the map STILL shows resources.. :/ That's waaaay too cheaty.. I'd rather be required to at least have a Detector Array, and be in orbit, in order to see the overlay.

Frankly, I just want a lightweight mod, that shows where Karbonite is, and relies on the Detector Array and ship energy (Just for initial scanning, obviously you don't need energy or a scanner, once you've already recorded a map). I've tried using ScanSAT, but I couldn't get it to properly work, and it's too bloated with unnecessary features.. And for some reason, the mod maker for Karbonite, removed the ability of the mod to show Karbonite, without using another mod. -_- *sigh* Maybe I just need to wait for the official resource update..

Exactly how I'm feeling to be honest. Downloaded Karbonite after seeing the screenshots that showed it had a usable overlay only to later realise it doesn't :/

Having an overlay map show up without having to had collected data prior to generate such a map definitely ruins it.

• 1 month later...

Hi man, I just downloaded your mod, and even though its not for 0.9 it seems to work. Anything but the showing of ressources like Karbonite :(

Its just not an option when I open the Menu in flight.

What to do ? :)

Also, is it your mod giving the KA-100 detector part the option - Show Carbonite Hotspots - ??

If not, how the **** do i get it, I saw it in a video.

Hi man, I just downloaded your mod, and even though its not for 0.9 it seems to work. Anything but the showing of ressources like Karbonite :(

Its just not an option when I open the Menu in flight.

What to do ? :)

Also, is it your mod giving the KA-100 detector part the option - Show Carbonite Hotspots - ??

If not, how the **** do i get it, I saw it in a video.

You might check this post http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92393-0-24-2-MapResourceOverlay-for-Science-Karbonite-MKS-and-biomes-VERSION-0-2-7?p=1705789&viewfull=1#post1705789

Hotspots were deprecated with ORSX, upgrade your USI Cluster, namely karbonite and regolith

There are still fluctuations in resource concentrations in each biome, you can still find hotspots which have somewhat higher concentrations than the average across the biome..

There are still fluctuations in resource concentrations in each biome, you can still find hotspots which have somewhat higher concentrations than the average across the biome..

hotspots were a very specific functionality within ORSX, please dont confuse people - if his scanner has an option to show hotspots his mods are out of date

I can't for the life of me figure out how to get this to work with SCANsat. I have both installed but there is no option anywhere on my map for a resource overlay.

There should be a button you can add in blizzy's toolbar should you have it installed. There might be a hotkey as well, but I would go toolbar on this.

Did you scan the planet with what ever scanner you want see ?

Well, I've scanned the entire thing with a Karbonite scanner that tells me it's working. I've also noticed that there is no mention of resources in the SCANsat settings.

Edited by spacedoctor42

I'm just saying that when I go to flight mode or when I activated the button in blizzys toolbar, I got spammed with this exception error.

MissingFieldException: Field '.CelestialBody.BiomeMap' not found.

at MapResourceOverlay.BiomeOverlayProvider.TooltipContent (Double latitude, Double longitude, .CelestialBody body) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MapResourceOverlay.MapOverlay.OnGUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

ALso, I don't see any resource overlay options, I have the latest version of both Regolith and SCANsat.

Also this:

MissingFieldException: Field '.CelestialBody.BiomeMap' not found.

at MapResourceOverlay.ScienceOverlayProvider.BodyChanged (.CelestialBody body) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MapResourceOverlay.MapOverlay.UpdateMapView () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MapResourceOverlay.MapOverlay.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Edited by smjjames

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.