Duna Constellation mission pack. First V.10 rebuild craft pics (Altair lander)

Hi all,

Today I am very, very happy to be able to show my Constellation mission pack.

I have been working on this for months and it has gone through a million redesigns.

After having been blown away by katateochi's Modded mission I wanted to the same thing but using stock parts.

This craft pack closely follows the real life proposed mission in almost every detail. It is the most complex and daring mission I have ever put together.

During the real-time mission I had zero failures and encountered no design flaws. Due to the HUGE amount of testing I did. The craft are exemplary.

So here it is. Eight launches, six Kerbals and one hell of a ride! :cool:

A few album highlights:

Ares V with the Copernicus hab module

704800A2A11BD486C13ED20C4949E735CE9E849A

Aeroshell landers in Kerbin orbit awaiting the burn to Duna

489AE64B49C19318F870767FB7683599F6DFBAA0

Ascent lander on Duna, sent before the crewed DTV

09C6B05F96141C3EC43A24795E15044C20D36628

Crewed DTV 'Copernicus' in Kerbin orbit

F1CED7835B0B5AF042E9027B7923249F2281BD0D

The Crewed lander entering Dunas atmosphere and shedding its aeroshell

EF0109C4D07EC835E409C4B387EB7D0B0362A65D

The Three Kerbal SPR rover. I'm really proud of this one

160ED6E6F2E30126049F3E17E9679D99519C95E7

Video of the Ares V with Copernicus payload faring release:

FULL MISSION ALBUM

You may notice that the scales are not exact and I had to make a few non realistic design decisions.

All craft are at present mission capable but during the mission I discovered a few things that are missing. I will correct those minor issues and then

release the pack if anybody is interested.

Even if you don't want to complete the mission, and I don't blame you, it was very tough, you can download the craft to see how they where made.

Thank you so much for looking and if anyone has any questions, comments, complaints please don't hesitate to ask me.

MJ

-----------------------------------------------------------

DOWNLOAD AND TIPS

Constellation mission pack download

OK chaps here we have the download for all the craft including a sub-assembly of the SPR rover.

I'm not sure many people will attempt to fly a full mission with these crafts but if anyone wants to attempt it please PM me for detailed instructions.

When launching the Ares V rockets you can throttle to max and launch.

At 5000m start a turn to the east.

The boosters cause a lot of torque that makes the rocket turn slowly.

Just keep you finger on the arrow key and it will slowly turn east.

Make little adjustments to keep it from rotating, which it will want to a little. Nothing major.

After the boosters separate full control authority is regained.

Aim for a 200km orbit.

Separate fairings during coast to Ap.

The landers staging is not in any order so you can choose what to release first. Simply click the separator or docking port you want to manipulate.

----------------------------------------------------------

I cleaned up the staging and added the things that where missing. I think I got everything right but its a lot of things to remember

so if there is anything untoward please let me know.

And If anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

MJ

Edited by Majorjim

Hi Woopert.

The dowload will be in a day or two. One or two thing needed to add. I am going to take a rest from KSP for a bit.

Designing this was really hard work. I dont even want to imagine exactly how many hours it took to make.

It was a nightmare trying to get those cargo landers to fly atop the Ares V. I redesigned them a dozen times!

Thanks for looking matey.

This is SO amazing. And yeah, those rovers are probably one of the most amazing things. But the whole thing together is astonishing! Serious kudos to you, sir.

Rune. Now I really want to take a stab at Von Braun's 1969 proposal.

This is SO amazing. And yeah, those rovers are probably one of the most amazing things. But the whole thing together is astonishing! Serious kudos to you, sir.

Rune. Now I really want to take a stab at Von Braun's 1969 proposal.

Thanks you Rune! That would be a hell of thing to see.

I will release the SPR rover as a subassembly too me thinks.

I really like how neatly packed everything is in the landers. The rovers are so clean and compact!

Speaking of landers, how did you transfer the Kerbals into them?

Ahhh, eagle eyed Giggleplex! You spotted that.

Well as the aeroshell is completely closed off I had to remove one of the panels to allow the kerbals to EVA into the aeroshell. :D

Thankfully Squad saw sense to add crew transfer into the upcoming patch!

What is Kerbal phoneSats?

PhoneSat is a NASA project of building nanosatellites using smartphones and launching them into Low Earth Orbit. This was started in 2009, if I'm right. Such satellites are cheap and tiny enough

Phonesat-balloon-test.743380main.jpg

So why not to give kerbals their own phones)

Thanks you Rune! That would be a hell of thing to see.

I will release the SPR rover as a subassembly too me thinks.

Suffice it to say, I've already dusted off the old Phoebus, and after messing up with the interstage to make it behave like you guys taught me it should, I made a "Phoebus V-25(S)U" subassembly. Right now it looks like the PPM is going to be a standard orange tank with a single nuke, and I already have a ton of ideas to make the MEM and the PMM and a rough first draft saved. The Duna '69 name is catchy, too :). Once I test it and find just what order of magnitude of gremlins it has, I will have a clearer view of how much it'll take in time, but it won't be soon, I have tons of projects open ATM.

Rune. I'll wait for your download in the meantime. :wink:

Suffice it to say, I've already dusted off the old Phoebus, and after messing up with the interstage to make it behave like you guys taught me it should, I made a "Phoebus V-25(S)U" subassembly. Right now it looks like the PPM is going to be a standard orange tank with a single nuke, and I already have a ton of ideas to make the MEM and the PMM and a rough first draft saved. The Duna '69 name is catchy, too :). Once I test it and find just what order of magnitude of gremlins it has, I will have a clearer view of how much it'll take in time, but it won't be soon, I have tons of projects open ATM.

Rune. I'll wait for your download in the meantime. :wink:

Duna '69 is an awesome name Rune!

Will post the dl when I get home this afternoon. Thanks eveyone for the replies, it really makes it worth while to others like it too.

MJ

• 2 weeks later...

DUDE!! These craft are amazing!! The fact that they're pure stock and also look so good makes this even more impressive. I love the rovers with the double wheels, do they drive ok like that? And the little flyer is quality. Also, your craft are going to last! My constellation craft are very much dead due to dependencies on mods that have changed :(

Very cool, I'm most impressed.

The fact that this is stock simply blows my freaking mind. This is truly impressive and you sir, deserve a space-cookie! :o
DUDE!! These craft are amazing!! The fact that they're pure stock and also look so good makes this even more impressive. I love the rovers with the double wheels, do they drive ok like that? And the little flyer is quality. Also, your craft are going to last! My constellation craft are very much dead due to dependencies on mods that have changed :(

Very cool, I'm most impressed.

Thanks guys! Katateochi, after I was challenged to make this your video gave me hope that it can be done and inspiration to do it.

Yeah the SPR rover is great! Handles really well and turns on a dime. No issues with the double wheels. The low center of gravity helps a lot with stability.

I'm sure most of you have seen the RL SPR rover. For those who have not here is a comparison:

3890323279_718077c21a_b.jpg

spr_prototype_lo.jpg

160ED6E6F2E30126049F3E17E9679D99519C95E7

FAB9D349F87898C0535FE9CD43B58841C7228153

I have yet to try it on the Mun but I will.

Does anyone know if it was planned to be used with Altair?

Edited by Majorjim

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.