Duna Constellation mission pack. First V.10 rebuild craft pics (Altair lander)

Okey dokey,

I have started work on the rebuild. I'm working on the landers first before 1.0 arrives. I'm aiming for something close to this:

16hixbt.png

My hab lander will have a central part that can be rotated outwards to give the same look as the inflatable hab in the video below.

All craft are, and will continue to be based on the cancelled reference mission animation video. You can watch it here to give you an idea of what to expect:

This may take a while!

MJ

Okey dokey,

I have started work on the rebuild. I'm working on the landers first before 1.0 arrives. I'm aiming for something close to this:

http://i60.tinypic.com/16hixbt.png

My hab lander will have a central part that can be rotated outwards to give the same look as the inflatable hab in the video below.

All craft are, and will continue to be based on the cancelled reference mission animation video. You can watch it here to give you an idea of what to expect:

This may take a while!

MJ

I do like the look of that lander! :cool:

Cupcake...

Okey dokey,

http://i60.tinypic.com/16hixbt.png

This may take a while!

MJ

Hmm... I have a good concept craft that looks pretty similar to that lander. You might like what I did with the back. I'll post a picture when I'm next able too :).

Hmm... I have a good concept craft that looks pretty similar to that lander. You might like what I did with the back. I'll post a picture when I'm next able too :).

Ooh yes please do! I have nearly finished my version of it. Well, the general shape of it anyway. It is very close to the one above.

I just have to decide on what compromises to make. I will see if its possible to have moving ramps and such. My SPR rover to lander scale is a little off so it may have to be deployed slightly differently to the one in the video.

It looks awesome already though!

Hey man, any news on the picture? Work is ongoing on mine. I foresee some issues when I come to attach it to the rocket.. Also I was hoping to reduce the part count but given the level of detail I am going for that aint gunna happen.. I will try, at least not to increase it. And the overall part count will be much less once I use the upcoming fairings.

Sorry! Here you go :)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I really like the general shape of this lander though it's carrying capacity isn't high. You can't easily land it on Kerbin because of the wing on the top but it would work fine on Duna or atmosphere-less planets. This is more like a concept of using wings for the back of the lander for a more smoothed out shape then a constellation lander as it doesn't have the complete oblong and wire frame shape that the constellation lander has. I'm a fan of the shape though and I hope it gives you some good ideas.

.craft (Dropbox) if you need it.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

http://imgur.com/a/ettu0

I really like the general shape of this lander though it's carrying capacity isn't high. You can't easily land it on Kerbin because of the wing on the top but it would work fine on Duna or atmosphere-less planets. This is more like a concept of using wings for the back of the lander for a more smoothed out shape then a constellation lander as it doesn't have the complete oblong and wire frame shape that the constellation lander has. I'm a fan of the shape though and I hope it gives you some good ideas.

No worries, thank you for posting it. I will download it when I get back home and have a closer look at it. I like what I can see so far. Looks like it has a fair amount of dv. and it could always be lengthened to add more cargo. God job man, I will report back after my examination.

http://imgur.com/a/ettu0

Even though it's meant as a replica of the Constellation lander proposal, this really heavily reminds me of my old MT-12 LV-N powered VTOL cargo shuttle.

Man, I need to make some MT-series VTOLs again...

Majorly awesome! I will definitely give this a download. The habitation module looks really great.
Ooh yes please do! I have nearly finished my version of it. Well, the general shape of it anyway. It is very close to the one above.

I just have to decide on what compromises to make. I will see if its possible to have moving ramps and such. My SPR rover to lander scale is a little off so it may have to be deployed slightly differently to the one in the video.

It looks awesome already though!

For single use deployable ramps, i think i might have something lightweight and low part count which might help, if you need :) (and that can dock after deployment) - currentky experimenting those with my current project :P - those extremely small hinges are perfect for those jobs (basically, a single use non redocking ramp will use around 5 or 7 parts besides the ramp itself. (For the hinges weight, you'll have a decoupler, and two LV1-Rs - the rest is massless :))

For single use deployable ramps, i think i might have something lightweight and low part count which might help, if you need :) (and that can dock after deployment) - currentky experimenting those with my current project :P - those extremely small hinges are perfect for those jobs (basically, a single use non redocking ramp will use around 5 or 7 parts besides the ramp itself. (For the hinges weight, you'll have a decoupler, and two LV1-Rs - the rest is massless :))

I had that exact thought when I saw your new hinge demonstration. I definitely have to have a close look at it because it could be perfect for my lander. :)

Do you have a download available?

@Avera9eJoe plz start a thread for the new project :P I'm excited to see what you guyz come up with.

You mean the big Jool/Laythe mission he hinted at? Having started my rebuild I am sad to say it will take up all my KSP time I think.

When the ascent lander is finished I will post a pic and you will see why..!

Are these for the Jool/Laythe mission he spoke about?

If so, we should ask him to start a thread dedicated to the mission.

I haven't started a thread on that yet because I've been busy with another project in KSP and in general life as of recent and don't have much time for other things. When I posted that I was basically brainstorming for a later date. For the time being I suggest keeping your craft files to yourself for the time being Yukon as I won't have time for that project with in at least a week. :P

HUEHUEHUE

Edited by Avera9eJoe

post 95! can we get this 100? 'come on, we're in striking distance!

actually Majorjim, this is Epic worthy (its within striking distance). Listing in the Showcase Master Thread. congrats on Epic engineer! I love your Constellation pack!

post 95! can we get this 100? 'come on, we're in striking distance!

actually Majorjim, this is Epic worthy (its within striking distance). Listing in the Showcase Master Thread. congrats on Epic engineer! I love your Constellation pack!

That's mighty nice of you to say mate. I am working hard on the rebuild! And if you liked the original your gunna love the new one!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok a quick update on the rebuild.

The landers are 95% complete now and looking awesome. They are very close in shape to the proposed landers in the reference mission video.

They each have one SPR (rover) now a two kerbal rover. They also have the DIPS powercart placed as in the video (on the forward ramp) which lowers to the ground once you land. This ramp also allows the SPR to drive out.

And the FSPS which is towed by the DIPS powercart. It is also placed correctly on my landers (the rear ramp) Which also lowers when you land.

The real proposed hab lander has an inflatable hab that extends athwart of the lander on the port side. I have recreated this by building the hab lander with a large space in the belly to hold a hitchhiker which can be lowered and then driven free of the lander to dock to a port side adapter mimicking the inflatable hab of the real lander.

As the landers have an unprecedented level of detail (for a stock constellation mission) the part count has gone up a little. Although the overall count of all the craft will be lower. This is even after reducing the part count of the SPR from 95 to 45. Given how they look it is totally worth it!

This is a no compromise, as accurate as possible replica.

All that's left now is to rebuild all the launchers. I had a look at the Copernicus transfer vehicle and reduced the part count from around 500 to around 200. This will make the burn to Duna much easier and the subsequent docking with the lander in Duna orbit.

I just have to wait for version 1.0 now. I'm sure you guys are going to love it!

MJ

Are we allowed to see pictures of these glorious new landers?

I was rather hoping someone wouldn't ask!

I am going to hold off until I have finished everything. Sorry to be a tease. Just sub the thread. It will be released soon after 1.0 comes out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.