Controller support mod

ximrm

I think it would be nice to have a mod that supports console controller. Not everyone has a joystick(or wants to spend it for only one game) and the 6DOF option for 3d ice is nearly unplayable.

So I thought it would be nice to have the option to use a controller(pc or console) for flying and especially landing and having all needed hotkeys on that pad(except for the action groups but they could be switched through). The rumble feature would also be nice during launches,wobbling ships, landing and crashes.

With that, you could have separate controls over main engines and rcs thrust, easier controlling in EVA or just the plain standard layout if desired.

Since ps4 controllers can be easily linked to the pc, owners of those could also use the touchpad(mouse movement/gestures for actiongroups or something else) , the built in speakers for chatterer , the sensors for IVA viewing(or maybe something totally different) etc. etc.

I think it would make an awesome mod.

But if something similar already exists, does it support those features i mentioned above?

First of all I'd suggest using the OS joystick integration first - if that is able to handle the controller, it would be usable in game. But ATM there's not even proper, fully-fledged joystick support.

I have a Saitek Cyborg 3D standing right here, configured for flying everything possible in the Star Wars Battlefront series and controlling everything in the MechWarrior series. It's the best I've tried so far. Yet KSP refuses to work with it properly, it's not even recognizing the joysticks X axis. Y, Z and throttle would work, even the cam control axis work, but not the main X - that's more than weird.

I just plug in my 360 controller, and set it up like a joystick in the settings menu. Works just fine. Any existing control can be mapped to a key, and axis controls can be mapped to the sticks. The only difficulty is each trigger is treated as a separate axis.

The only thing is rumble, which I don't think KSP even begins to support on its own. You'd need a plugin of some sort to send a "rumble" signal when certain conditions are met (G force > 5, AoA > 20, etc...). That's assuming you can even get KSP to talk to the controller like that. I wouldn't know.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.