[1.1.2] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.5.8

KospY

KAS v0.4.9 released.

Big thanks for this update to Ozraven, who implemented the cost and science recovery of container content.

KAS is now ready for career mode :)

Also, with the help of Ozraven, KAS are now using module manager for adding the grab module to stock part.

To avoid confusion, Addmodule.cfg is no more supported. If you are using a custom addmodule.cfg, please update it to module manager patch file.

Full change log :

â—¾KSP 0.25 compatibility

â—¾Implemented container content cost and recovery (thanks to ozraven)

â—¾Implemented science recovery (thanks to ozraven)

â—¾Converted addModule.cfg to module manager patches (thanks to ozraven)

â—¾Adjusted some parts costs

â—¾Fixed minor UI glitch in container editor (thanks to ozraven)

â—¾Fixed a bug with grapple when the join is broken

â—¾Fixed winch ejection for KSP x64 version

â—¾Fixed retracting cable after using the winch ejection

â—¾Fixed winch head locking in some situation (high gravity planet)

â—¾Fixed KASModuleGrab fixedupdate method in case of inheritance

what exactly do you mean by "science recovery"?

Science experiments and containers (that are completed/holding data) and stored in a KAS container will be recovered in this update. Previously the science data would be lost because the contents of a KAS container wasn't "recovered."

Hi. I, for whatever reason, can't right click on KAS parts either in the VAB or during EVA. I've tried a clean install and loading just KAS without any other mods as well, hoping to find a clash, but even then it's still giving me issues. I've triple checked that I'm putting folders in the right place and, as I said, did a clean install.

I'm using steam, so it's x32 by default, and the most recent versions of everthing. OS is windows 7

Any help would be much appreciated, as this mod is in my eyes almost a requirement for KSP

So, with a hopeful heart I downloaded KAS 0.4.9 to keep up with the new update. ModuleManager is of course now in the download. Still the same issue. It only seems to affect KAS parts, as I can right click on stock parts to my heart's content.

Edited by Dep_Opt

Do I have to have Module Manager for this to work? If so, I'm out. Really. That Mod is known to break things all the time. No thanks is what I say. Why would you do this? Please stop making mods dependent on other mods I don't want/need/care about.

kas works great but when i go to a craft on the launch pad i get a series of yellow error message on the screen relating to sound file errors for kas. i tried fresh downloads and moving the enclosed sound file to sounds but the text still appears. i have an image of it but i can not figure how to paste it here

So, with a hopeful heart I downloaded KAS 0.4.9 to keep up with the new update. ModuleManager is of course now in the download. Still the same issue. It only seems to affect KAS parts, as I can right click on stock parts to my heart's content.

Thank you for trying the latest version. Would you please share your <KSP>\KSP_Data\output_log.txt (zipped) with us, via Dropbox or other file sharing service? That may help diagnose the problem quickly and I can make sure everything is loading as it should. Additionally, if you could share a screenshot of your <KSP>\GameData folder so that it's confirmed everything is in the right place, that may also be helpful. (Please forgive the request for looking at something trivial; you seem experienced with mods that it's unlikely KAS and ModuleManager were incorrectly installed, however eliminating the simple explanations helps complete the diagnosis!)

Do I have to have Module Manager for this to work? If so, I'm out. Really. That Mod is known to break things all the time. No thanks is what I say. Why would you do this? Please stop making mods dependent on other mods I don't want/need/care about.

I'm sorry that your prior experience with Module Manager has made this change such a significant problem for you. I do hope you reconsider. MM is a widely used mod that provides tremendous flexibility to modders (and players!) without the need to make intrusive and breaking changes to a KSP install. As dr.phees pointed out, it greatly reduces the complexity of mods that must modify game elements to provide new functionality, allowing more focus on the mod's features.

kas works great but when i go to a craft on the launch pad i get a series of yellow error message on the screen relating to sound file errors for kas. i tried fresh downloads and moving the enclosed sound file to sounds but the text still appears. i have an image of it but i can not figure how to paste it here

The easiest way to share an image may be use of a service such as MediaCrush or imgur.

I have a quick suggestion -- how about a "misc" parts locker that launches full (say with 100 weight/volume), from which you can pull out any attachable part, up to its allotted weight/volume? It's a bit cheaty, but it can basically be used to represent some mcgyvering.

Thank you for trying the latest version. Would you please share your <KSP>\KSP_Data\output_log.txt (zipped) with us, via Dropbox or other file sharing service? That may help diagnose the problem quickly and I can make sure everything is loading as it should. Additionally, if you could share a screenshot of your <KSP>\GameData folder so that it's confirmed everything is in the right place, that may also be helpful. (Please forgive the request for looking at something trivial; you seem experienced with mods that it's unlikely KAS and ModuleManager were incorrectly installed, however eliminating the simple explanations helps complete the diagnosis!)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tz6hzeo31g8ue3v/output_log.zip?dl=0

Screenshot of GameData is in there. Don't worry about asking for the simple things, I have a sneaking suspicion I am being dumb somewhere anyway.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tz6hzeo31g8ue3v/output_log.zip?dl=0

Screenshot of GameData is in there. Don't worry about asking for the simple things, I have a sneaking suspicion I am being dumb somewhere anyway.

<snip>
Failed to load assembly C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ModuleManager.2.5.1.dll:
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ModuleManager.2.5.1.dll" is denied.
<snip>
Failed to load assembly C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KAS\Plugins\KAS.dll:
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KAS\Plugins\KAS.dll" is denied.
<snip>

I'm not sure why, but it appears KSP is having trouble loading plugins - at least the ones in the KAS release. I'm not sure why this would happen if KSP itself runs fine. However, it does explain why the parts are there but things aren't working right. I'll do some digging to see what some causes and remedies are for this - in the meantime, if you could check that Everyone has read permissions on those files, that may uncover the issue. (Thanks for the log file!)

<snip>
Failed to load assembly C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ModuleManager.2.5.1.dll:
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ModuleManager.2.5.1.dll" is denied.
<snip>
Failed to load assembly C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KAS\Plugins\KAS.dll:
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KAS\Plugins\KAS.dll" is denied.
<snip>

I'm not sure why, but it appears KSP is having trouble loading plugins - at least the ones in the KAS release. I'm not sure why this would happen if KSP itself runs fine. However, it does explain why the parts are there but things aren't working right. I'll do some digging to see what some causes and remedies are for this - in the meantime, if you could check that Everyone has read permissions on those files, that may uncover the issue. (Thanks for the log file!)

Some Windows installations block loading of plugins from anywhere under Program Files. Instead of installing mods to the KSP folder inside your Steam Library, try copying KSP to a location outside Program Files and running that copy with mods.

it's an antivirus or similar preventing the dll loading. You should not have steam in "Program Files (x86)", or at least configure steam to install games elsewhere.

I've noticed a bit of a problem with winches... If they're assembled with a non-KAS part attached to their connector port, they won't function at all. They'll just complain that a non-KAS part is attached, and refuse to do anything (including disengage from the offending part). If the part in question is one that KAS does not let Kerbals pick up, the whole affair just gets even more messy since it makes the winch into a useless decoration for all time. Is there any way we could get a "detach" function for winches that lets them disengage from non-KAS parts attached to the connector port?

The bin contents edit window needs its own close button. At lower resolutions the window takes so much space it takes some intricate mouse gymnastics to get at the Edit button on the bin's RMB menu.

it's an antivirus or similar preventing the dll loading. You should not have steam in "Program Files (x86)", or at least configure steam to install games elsewhere.

So this helped. I left Kerbal where it is, but gave it exceptions under my antivirus. No issues since. Thank you all.

Something I just discovered with the latest (as of today) version of KAS - I can no longer fill up my storage containers with parts OTHER than KAS parts (winches, anchors, etc.). I can no longer put antennas, solar panels, etc (from the stock parts) in them. Nor can my EVA'd Kerbalnaut "grab" them.

Was this by design? Because I loved taking spare parts with me for when I screwed something up and the nearest Kerbalmart was a few planets away...

Something I just discovered with the latest (as of today) version of KAS - I can no longer fill up my storage containers with parts OTHER than KAS parts (winches, anchors, etc.). I can no longer put antennas, solar panels, etc (from the stock parts) in them. Nor can my EVA'd Kerbalnaut "grab" them.

Was this by design? Because I loved taking spare parts with me for when I screwed something up and the nearest Kerbalmart was a few planets away...

Did you copy the ModuleManager DLL to your GameData folder? MM is now required to add KAS functionality to other parts.