[1.1.2] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.5.8

KospY

No more stuff attached to the back of a kerbal? I find that rather disappointing. I hope that I'm misinterpreting things.

The rest sounds interesting, though.

This lack of stuff on the back might be an issue for certain mods, like the not so serious Deal With It Glasses mod (though it appears Nill has a pair of them, so it could still end up being possible for kerbals to wear accessories) and for the more serious Universal Storage, which has a pack with extra supplies the kerbal can wear using KAS.

No more stuff attached to the back of a kerbal? I find that rather disappointing. I hope that I'm misinterpreting things.

This lack of stuff on the back might be an issue for certain mods, like the not so serious Deal With It Glasses mod (though it appears Nill has a pair of them, so it could still end up being possible for kerbals to wear accessories) and for the more serious Universal Storage, which has a pack with extra supplies the kerbal can wear using KAS.

being able to have more than 1 item at a time is awesome. Then we could have Univeral's EVA extender and KIS items. win win

being able to have more than 1 item at a time is awesome. Then we could have Univeral's EVA extender and KIS items. win win

But at the moment, it seems you won't be able to carry stuff on the kerbal's back anymore. Meaning no EVA extender, as the kerbal wouldn't be able to have it on its back.

That is awesome!

Inventory is quite an improvement of the mod.

But, is that update/split somehow save-breaking?

Unfortunately yes. KIS run as a stand alone, and it use is own module name to avoid conflict.

I've hardly ever posted on these forums, but I had to dig up my login information in order to tell you that the inventory system looks brilliant. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Edit: Apparently I've -never- posted on these forums, so that should give you an idea how much I like that idea.

Thx ! It's nice to know that I'm on the right track :)

Kerbal inventory. Interesting. Although it currently looks rather OP.

Currently the prototype is not balanced. But don't expect the mod to be too realistic, I'm more focused to make it practical.

Anyways, eva and container max volume can be changed easly

But at the moment, it seems you won't be able to carry stuff on the kerbal's back anymore. Meaning no EVA extender, as the kerbal wouldn't be able to have it on its back.

It's always possible to have stuff attached to the back of a kerbal, but only for part configured for this.

Procedure is also different, when you grab a part, it go to the inventory first. You have to right click on the item to equip/unequip it.

The screwdriver equiped on the screenshot work like this

For information, equip part/item will get 3 options defined in the part cfg :

- Model > show only the 3d model on kerbal

- Coupled > part will be spawned and coupled to the kerbal (ex : EVA extender)

- Coupled with physic > part will be be spawned and coupled to the kerbal with a physic joint between them (ex : eva parachute)

am i the only one that notices that Bill is holding a screwdriver in his hand!

does this mean we will soon have the ability to have tools we can hold in our hands?

Well spotted Helix935 :)

KIS is no more limited to jetpack or helmet, all "bones" is available. That mean you can equip items anywhere (hands, foots, arm, jetpack, head, etc...), and they will follow the kerbal animation.

I let you imagine what you can do with that (tools, apparels, weapons, etc...)

Edited by KospY

I was thinking of the possibilities of having a part (like an arm or something) that does what a kerbal would of grabbing and attaching parts and connecting pipes and stuff like that. I think it would be great as it would add a new dimension to the mod. This would allow, for example, base construction before the kerbals get there and having a fully robotic fueling base. Probably someone has already thought of this but I couldn't find any mention of it.

I was thinking of the possibilities of having a part (like an arm or something) that does what a kerbal would of grabbing and attaching parts and connecting pipes and stuff like that. I think it would be great as it would add a new dimension to the mod. This would allow, for example, base construction before the kerbals get there and having a fully robotic fueling base. Probably someone has already thought of this but I couldn't find any mention of it.

I like the idea, why not !

I think it can also resolve my problem about building / attaching big parts for base construction when bigger containers will be released later (atm I'm lacking model for this), as Kerbal moving really big parts around look really weird. Robotic assistance can be nice for that.

It's always possible to have stuff attached to the back of a kerbal, but only for part configured for this.

Procedure is also different, when you grab a part, it go to the inventory first. You have to right click on the item to equip/unequip it.

Ah, I was hoping that would be the case. However, having to go through inventory first could be a problem for things like EL's survey stakes. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

I like the idea, why not !

I think it can also resolve my problem about building / attaching big parts for base construction when bigger containers will be released later (atm I'm lacking model for this), as Kerbal moving really big parts around look really weird. Robotic assistance can be nice for that.

Oh KospY, you are about to solve two problems for me:

1. I always wanted kerbals to have to grab a saw or an angle grinder to be able to use ChopIt
  2. I'm working on unmanned drones not only to carry around stuff but also equipped with exchangeable tools and having a kind of "KAS" tool that can pick up stuff a Kerbal could pick up solves not only a ton of problems but also saves me a lot of work :cool:

Big thanks already, you are awesome!

Ah, I was hoping that would be the case. However, having to go through inventory first could be a problem for things like EL's survey stakes. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

I maybe be missed something but why it will be a problem ?

As far as I know survey stakes is used as 'launch beacon' for Extraplanetary Launchpads right ? So it's always possible to carry around the stakes and place it anywhere you want. I guess I will need to check this however, as I never used the last version of Extraplanetary Launchpads so I'm not sure of how it work.

I think I will also need a list of all mods using KAS, so I will be able to check them to be sure.

Oh please don't make it too save breaky, or at least let us know what we need to do ahead of upgrades to minimize damage. I just got into MKS/OKS and it's KAS enabled. By xmas I'll have a lot that will potentially break :(

Though to think about it, what exactly would break? If KAS is upgraded, pipes, pylons, anchors, winches and such shouldn't disappear so base parts only linked via these shouldn't break. But, containers will break because those are going to be in KIS. But they don't need to disappear do they? You could depreciate them and put those parts into a legacy folder. New users could just delete that folder to save RAM. For those upgrading we could clean up after upgrade. KIS could have it's own container parts (same stuff, just different names). Then you could remove it altogether on the version after that.

In fact if KIS is going to use different module names, you could leave the container code in KAS for the next version. That way we could do maintenance missions to swap out container/brackets and such.

Dunno, just some thoughts.

I would suggest that the "save-breaking" split will become 2 seperate mods, leaving behind KAS in its current form with no intention to update its feature list further. it depends how much work is going on under the bonnet - but it looks like the way items are stored (IE: in storage chests) is fundamentally changing, which means they wouldnt carry their contents over.

i wouldnt worry about it, just dont update to the new versions if you want to finish your current playthrough. i'm with you on that.

Kospy: just in that taking a stake from a container, and then having to transfer from inventory to see it on the kerbal sounds awkward. I could be misinterpreting things again, but some parts should go directly from wherever they are to the appropriate place on the kerbal (for stakes: ground or KAS container to the kerbal's back, though hand works too). Stuffing a 50cm stick into one's pocket is difficult enough for a human, let alone a kerbal :)

Your interpretation is right in that EL's stakes act as beacons for launching, but I've made it so they can be attached only to the ground (or static objects such as buildings).

how about having the kerbal have a limited inventory as stands (back, head, hands) and have a backpack/storagespace on EVA that you optionally have them put on? everything defaults to hand then you move it around using a nice simple intuitive GUI.

This looks amazing! Really looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Question about the Universal Storage EVAx, when the Kerbal is holding it, the life support resources are consumed normally, but the EVA prop has to be manually pumped between the pack and the Kerbal. Is there any way around this or is it a limitation of KSP?

Wait, so Kerbals no longer auto-equip things to their backs (and can no longer mount many things on their backs at all?)
KIS is no more limited to jetpack or helmet, all "bones" is available. That mean you can equip items anywhere (hands, foots, arm, jetpack, head, etc...), and they will follow the kerbal animation.

I let you imagine what you can do with that (tools, apparels, weapons, etc...)

ten characters