[1.1.2] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.5.8

KospY

The stored size of objects has a decimal, why can't I use it?

When making a config for a part, I can set storedSize to (for example) 0.1, but in the editor, it has changed to 1 which seems to be the smallest number possible.

KAS 0.4.9 isn't working for me. I can put parts in containers in the VAB, but when I try to use them "in the field" they appear 130 meters off the ground and just hang there. The only way to get them to come down is to go to the space center and then go back to the object. This is happening for all the parts I put in the container (stock, KAS, MKS, DMagic OS, etc). I've got a bunch of other mods installed, but KAS is the only one having problems. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Edited by GreyRaven75

KAS 0.4.9 isn't working for me. I can put parts in containers in the VAB, but when I try to use them "in the field" they appear 130 meters off the ground and just hang there. The only way to get them to come down is to go to the space center and then go back to the object. This is happening for all the parts I put in the container (stock, KAS, MKS, DMagic OS, etc). I've got a bunch of other mods installed, but KAS is the only one having problems. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I've just been experiencing this trying to place an EL stake and KAS ground pylon. Came here to see if I was running an out of date KAS, but if not many people are having this problem then I guess it's time to go log-hunting!

EDIT: Getting this spammed in the log " [KAS] WaitAndGrab(Container) - Waiting rigidbody to initialize... " after trying to remove things from container. I managed to move the container from one vessel to another successfully though, and the entire base is connected via KAS tubes. Curious.

Edited by Milkshakefiend

I've just been experiencing this trying to place an EL stake and KAS ground pylon. Came here to see if I was running an out of date KAS, but if not many people are having this problem then I guess it's time to go log-hunting!

EDIT: Getting this spammed in the log " [KAS] WaitAndGrab(Container) - Waiting rigidbody to initialize... " after trying to remove things from container. I managed to move the container from one vessel to another successfully though, and the entire base is connected via KAS tubes. Curious.

After a long process of elimination I found that it was a conflict with Deadly Reentry. I had the most recent beta version of DRE installed. Replacing it with regular version fixed the problem (although now the inflatable parts from Klockheed Special Parts seem to not be working). I'm not sure how DRE and KAS would conflict...

Edited by GreyRaven75

Oh really? More and more curiouser. I'll try the non-beta DRE and report back.

EDIT: Yep, went back to DRE 6.2.x and can use KAS containers again. Unfortunately the EL survey stakes I had in the KAS containers don't seem to want to function now. *facepalm*

Edited by Milkshakefiend

@PART[partnamehere]:NEEDS[KAS]
{
MODULE
{
name = KASModuleGrab
evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.00, -0.21)
evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)
dropAtGroundPos = false
dropPartPos = (0.0, -0.1, -0.65)
dropPartRot = (0.0, 90.0, 0.0)
addPartMass = true
storable = true
storedSize = 8
attachOnPart = True
attachOnEva = False
attachOnStatic = False
attachSendMsgOnly = False
}
}

Play with the numbers as you see fit.

{
MODULE
{
name = KASModuleGrab
evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)
dropAtGroundPos = false
addPartMass = true
storable = true
storedSize = 8
attachOnPart = True
attachOnEva = False
attachOnStatic = False
}
}

Thank you, but... in which .cfg file shall I put this code?

Edited by Agost

So, I posted this in DR, before I noticed the mentions here:

So, um, I have an issue in Linux x86_64 with DR and KAS, that goes away without DR: if I try to take something out from a container, this happens:

[LOG 18:20:28.477] [KAS] WaitAndGrab(Container) - Waiting rigidbody to initialize...

[EXC 18:20:28.487] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

DeadlyReentry.ModuleAeroReentry.OnStart (StartState state)

Part.ModulesOnStart ()

Part+ ^F.MoveNext ()

[LOG 18:20:28.489] [Progress Node Reached]: Landing

[LOG 18:20:28.489] [Progress Node Complete]: Landing

[LOG 18:20:28.499] [KAS] WaitAndGrab(Container) - Waiting rigidbody to initialize...

[LOG 18:20:28.500] [KAS] WaitAndGrab(Container) - Waiting rigidbody to initialize...

[LOG 18:20:28.532] [KAS] WaitAndGrab(Container) - Waiting rigidbody to initialize...

...and the object pops up about 100m away from me. And jumps 15km away as soon as I try to warp, despite not moving anywhere that fast.

Another issue (but with no serious gameplay effect) is that Kerbal RCS effects are gone - also back if I remove DR.

The only mods in this install are DR, KAS, MM and HyperEdit. The last one is not included in my main install, and the issues are present there as well.

Finally, full log file. Sorry if this is a known issue and/or actually a KAS thing that's just triggered by DR.

Seems the same as the issues others are having?

After a long process of elimination I found that it was a conflict with Deadly Reentry. I had the most recent beta version of DRE installed. Replacing it with regular version fixed the problem (although now the inflatable parts from Klockheed Special Parts seem to not be working). I'm not sure how DRE and KAS would conflict...

Here's a thought... And, oh I dunno maybe this is just me being STUPID...

but why not report it in the Deadly Reentry thread and provide feedback on the beta?

I need some config help.

I'm trying to use bay modules to attach a tantares mod "kompact" docking part to the bottom of various parts including a rockmax short 1.25-2.5 adapter, a 1.25 rcs tank, and a stayputnik probe all of which are debris I want to salvage and repurpose. the problem I'm having is the bay module clips the docking port into the part. Initially I thought I just had the bayRot field pointing the part the wrong way but when I had it flip a 180 the part rotated on its center of mass and not its bayNode(the bottom) is there some way to offset the position of a part stored in a part bay along its xyz axis, or tell it to rotate around the reference nodes axis? Otherwise there doesn't seem to be a way to use a part bay on the bottom node of a part unless the part you're attaching was specifically modelled in a certain way.

here are my present configs

@PART[probeCoreSphere]
{
MODULE
{
name = KASModulePartBay
BAY
{
attachNode = bottom
type = salvage
}
}
}

@PART[Agena_Port_A]:FOR[KAS]
{
MODULE
{
name = KASModuleGrab
evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.00, -0.15)
evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)
storable = true
stateless = true
storedSize = 10
bayType = salvage
bayNode = bottom
bayRot = (0,0,180)
attachNodeName = bottom
attachOnPart = False
attachOnEva = False
attachOnStatic = False
}
}

Edited by passinglurker

{
MODULE
{
name = KASModuleGrab
evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)
dropAtGroundPos = false
addPartMass = true
storable = true
storedSize = 8
attachOnPart = True
attachOnEva = False
attachOnStatic = False
}
}

It's a ModuleManager patch. Create a new .cfg anywhere under GameData, with any name that helps you remember what it does, or add it to any file you already use for local ModuleManager patches.

Thank you!

Here's a thought... And, oh I dunno maybe this is just me being STUPID...

but why not report it in the Deadly Reentry thread and provide feedback on the beta?

That's a good idea. I didn't think to do it before. Luckily, ModZero did mention on the DE thread he had the same problem.

Edited by GreyRaven75

I need some config help.

I'm trying to use bay modules to attach a tantares mod "kompact" docking part to the bottom of various parts including a rockmax short 1.25-2.5 adapter, a 1.25 rcs tank, and a stayputnik probe all of which are debris I want to salvage and repurpose. the problem I'm having is the bay module clips the docking port into the part. Initially I thought I just had the bayRot field pointing the part the wrong way but when I had it flip a 180 the part rotated on its center of mass and not its bayNode(the bottom) is there some way to offset the position of a part stored in a part bay along its xyz axis, or tell it to rotate around the reference nodes axis? Otherwise there doesn't seem to be a way to use a part bay on the bottom node of a part unless the part you're attaching was specifically modelled in a certain way.

here are my present configs

@PART[probeCoreSphere]
{
MODULE
{
name = KASModulePartBay
BAY
{
attachNode = bottom
type = salvage
}
}
}

@PART[Agena_Port_A]:FOR[KAS]
{
MODULE
{
name = KASModuleGrab
evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.00, -0.15)
evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)
storable = true
stateless = true
storedSize = 10
bayType = salvage
bayNode = bottom
bayRot = (0,0,180)
attachNodeName = bottom
attachOnPart = False
attachOnEva = False
attachOnStatic = False
}
}

I have the same problem with placing docking ports. Would appreciate some help too. (asked for this already some days ago you. Description of my problem can be found here http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92514-0-25-Kerbal-Attachment-System-%28KAS%29-0-4-9-Part-cost-and-science-recovery?p=1539985&viewfull=1#post1539985 )

Hi

I tried to add the grab-function to the docking ports from NearFutureConstruction and the stock docking ports.

Works well for normal sized docking port and Jr. docking port.

The senior docking port and those from NFC attache in the wrong way with the docking node pointing to the surface I try to attach them to.

This is not a big deal for the senior docking port because rotating it using Alt+b/n works fine.

The ports from NFC rotate too but they rotate around the docking node causing them to get attached from the inside making them useless (or at least lock very crappy)

I already tried to add

attachNodeName = bottom

(found this anywhere on the internet) but this did not change anything.

Did I missunderstood the use of "attachNodeName"? If so how to use it properly? Do I have to know the exact name of the node? If so how to get them for stock parts or parts from other mods?

Whats the right way to set the attachment direction?

You know I had the same problem at first with my tantares kompact docking port but since I discovered that there was no apparent angle snap or stack node attachment I initially didn't bother dwelling on the problem. In retrospect now I think I know whats going on. both the sr. and the kompact are not configured to be surface attached or rather they lack a definition for node_attach. If you define their surface attachment node in their config it might solve your problem. Unfortunately it does nothing for my problem cause I need to attach the part in the stack or my center of mass gets thrown off.

You know I had the same problem at first with my tantares kompact docking port but since I discovered that there was no apparent angle snap or stack node attachment I initially didn't bother dwelling on the problem. In retrospect now I think I know whats going on. both the sr. and the kompact are not configured to be surface attached or rather they lack a definition for node_attach. If you define their surface attachment node in their config it might solve your problem. Unfortunately it does nothing for my problem cause I need to attach the part in the stack or my center of mass gets thrown off.

You are right. I added the node_attach definition and now the get attached in the right direction. Thank you very much.

However the y-value for the node_attach has to be lower than the one in node_stack_bottom. For the stock docking port Sr. it seems substracting 0.05 works pretty well but for the ports from NearFutureConstruction this is too much difference. I have to figure out what the right value for them would be.

You could try to make the parts you want to attach the ports to container bays and the ports containers. This way they will get forced to attach in a specific direction if you "store" them. Not the best way and you will have to modify some parts but I think this could work. Did this with the girder segments to be able to build larger structures in space.