[1.1.2] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.5.8

KospY

You are right. I added the node_attach definition and now the get attached in the right direction. Thank you very much.

However the y-value for the node_attach has to be lower than the one in node_stack_bottom. For the stock docking port Sr. it seems substracting 0.05 works pretty well but for the ports from NearFutureConstruction this is too much difference. I have to figure out what the right value for them would be.

You could try to make the parts you want to attach the ports to container bays and the ports containers. This way they will get forced to attach in a specific direction if you "store" them. Not the best way and you will have to modify some parts but I think this could work. Did this with the girder segments to be able to build larger structures in space.

This is what I tried and it works if you are attaching to the top node the problem is I need to attach to the bottom node which resulted in the problems I described above

I'm trying to make the stock Grappling Unit to work on planets à la the KAS Grappling Hook. Is there a way to make it work when deployed only and to only use the KAS module when attaching to planets (as that is very unstable when grappling asteroids).

I'm trying to make the stock Grappling Unit to work on planets à la the KAS Grappling Hook. Is there a way to make it work when deployed only and to only use the KAS module when attaching to planets (as that is very unstable when grappling asteroids).

not as far as I know, but you can always write a plugin that allows you to do so.

Ive been searching through the code, but what is the strength on the struts once linked? And can it be adjusted?

Help coming in ;)

It is not in the .dll, but in the .cfg to begin with.

Like GameData\KAS\Parts\strut1\strut1.cfg.

In that config is a module called KASModuleStrut:

MODULE
{
name = KASModuleStrut
nodeTransform = strutNode
type = "StrutSize1"
maxLenght = 8
maxAngle = 100
breakForce = 1
allowDock = false
hasCollider = false
tubeScale = 0.05
jointScale = 0.05
tubeSrcType = Rounded
tubeTgtType = Rounded
textureTiling = 4
evaStrutPos = (0.05, 0.059, -0.21)
evaStrutRot = (190.0, 0.0, 0.0)
tubeTexPath = KAS/Textures/strut
}

I'm not entirely sure of it, but I think editing breakForce to a higher value increases the strength.

Help coming in ;)

It is not in the .dll, but in the .cfg to begin with.

Like GameData\KAS\Parts\strut1\strut1.cfg.

In that config is a module called KASModuleStrut:

I'm not entirely sure of it, but I think editing breakForce to a higher value increases the strength.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

I think i found a bug/conflict with DeadlyReentry_v6.3.1.

with DeadlyReentry installed every part taken from container ends up suspended 70m up and 70m away from kerbal

Edited by ZAJC3W

Incoming bug report...

Having some issues with Rovers PackRat mod, I've been directed here as the issue appears to be in KAS:

Yeah the rub is that it's going to be a KAS issue - probably related to the container logic we use to make a packrat snap together.

So, here's a naughty cross-post ;)

Game version: 0.25.0

Build: Linux x86_64

Mods installed: KAS 0.4.9, ExpPack 0.2.5.

Reproduction steps:

Store a mini wheel in a KAS crate (either size), or load it in before launch.

Take it out.

Store it a second time, it doesn't have to be the same crate and doesn't matter what you do with the wheel inbetween.

Take it out again.

Expected result: Mini-wheel attaches to kerbals back as in step 2.

Actual result: Mini wheel fails to attach & clips into kerbal, some geometry (stub-axle, upper suspension mount) missing.

Camera focus (COM) follows a point midway between kerbal and bugged wheel.

Unable to drop, attach or store as wheel does not register as having been grabbed.

Reproducibility: 100%

Log: Dropbox.

Test Craft: Dropbox.

This does not occur with any other parts, including stock wheels & other packrat parts.

The mini wheel can be grabbed, dropped and attached repeatedly without issue (until the bug hits), the crate containing the wheel appears unaffected & can be manipulated normally.

Screens:

screenshot1.jpg

screenshot3.jpg

Anything you guys can do for this?

Pretty please? makes this lovely rover non re-usable :(

For the next update, I decided to focus my work on an overhaul of the container system. In fact, it's even more than an overhaul, it's a complete redesign with a lot of new features. To be simple, the goal is to create a inventory system.

Wow, only just noticed this post! KAS is already brilliant, but this does indeed look like a leap forward that'll make it even better to use. Definitely one of the "can't play without it" mods, many thanks for all the work to date :)

Having a bit of an issue. Current version of mod,32-bit KSP .25 on 64-bit Win7.

Ground pylons disappear after a quickload. I'm setting up a Mun base, and I was using ground pylons as markers for module locations. I had four of them placed on the ground and it was all working fine. I did a quicksave, then proceeded to move a module into position. The controls bugged out on me, so I did a quickload. The game loaded, everything was where it was before, but all the ground pylons had vanished.

I thought maybe I had not quicksaved properly, but when I checked the KAS container that the pylons came from it was empty, so I know I saved after the pylons has been placed.

I'll try a few tests in a test save to see if I can reproduce the error. Anyone else see this issue?

Just wanted to drop by and say this is the most essential mod on my mods list. It really makes a space program a space program. Thank you.

Also, when attaching two ships to eachother while in space with a pipe, you can make the funniest thing ever.

Thanks to KAS I saved kerbin today. My mothership ran out of electricity in LKO, while carrying a dozen antimatter containment units. (A small collision took off my essential radiators.) I was luckily able to send a spaceplane to intercept, hook up a pipeline and recharge enough to land the behemoth. As I hooked the spaceship into the mothership I had less than a minute left to a catastrophy.

Edited by Othuyeg

Since first using KAS i never play KSP without it AWESOME!

That said i think i have some kind of Bug. Im not really sure if it is a Bug of KAS or TweakScale.

I often send out a Spaceplane to refit various Ships. These planes often have some Containers on it ( a b it doesent matter). Wenn collecting stuff out of it and strutting or refitting other ships something weired happens:

The Containers start to rescale! It happens mor often that not when there is an autosave or a quicksave, but it does happen occasionally just at random. Usually only when i control a Kerbal.

Ist this a know Bug? Does it maybe help to remove the Teakscape settings for KAS?

thx in advance

I was wondering where can I get my hands on a x64 version of KAS, I am running the 64bit linux version.

When I go and grab an item from the container the item does not appear on the kerbals back. When I try to take the item, I cannot take any other or use the store option to put it back. Instead when I go back to the space center I have the option to recover the item as if it were a vessel.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

I'm getting some strange effect when using a rover with 2 wringes of front and backside. Launcing their hooks from one hits a wall and another the ground. Then start pulling in, and the vihical start to fly (as expected) However, the cable of the wring start to be cut as if it's short on cable.

Lechuza: there is no such beast: KSP dlls are system agnostic (run anywhere).

Oh, ok didn't know that. I am at a loss what it could be then. I am going to start taking out mods and see where the incompatibility lies then, can't think of anything else :(

Thanks for your reply!

Edit:

Figured out the problem, I had a beta version of deadly reentry installed (6.3.1), that seemed to be messing all KAS containers.

I installed Deadly reentry 6.2.1 and everything seems to be working fine now.

Edited by Lechuza

I have the following error in my log, I resolved it by copying winch_N from one of the winch folders to the cPort2 folder.

[TABLE=width: 989]

[TR]

[TD][LOG 21:09:07.288] Load(Model): KAS/Parts/cPort2/portStack1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][ERR 21:09:07.293] Texture 'KAS/Parts/cPort2/winch_N' not found![/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Thanks

Figured out the problem, I had a beta version of deadly reentry installed (6.3.1), that seemed to be messing all KAS containers.

I installed Deadly reentry 6.2.1 and everything seems to be working fine now.

upgrade to 6.3.2 and it should be fine, didn't test 6.3.2 yet but it has KAS compatibility issue resolved in release notes

Edited by ZAJC3W

Can you add a manual on how to add parts from other mods please?

What I need is to add the ScanSAT "Been There Done That" component to the attachable items I can put in a container. I have put a bunch of sats in orbit and would like to add this part to all of them without having to relauch, reposition, rephase all of them.

Edited by ctbram

For some reason I'm unable to take a grappling hook or Illuminator mk1 out of container. When I press button "Take" nothing happens. Out of the same container I can take out and place back cubic octagonal strut and linear RCS port, without any problems. How can I troubleshoot this?

KSP.log prints every time I press "Take":

[WRN 23:19:20.303] Vessel Grappling hook crashed through terrain on the Mun

[LOG 23:19:20.304] [00:35:59]: Grappling hook crashed into the Mun.

After this Interstellar handles it as an impactor for seismic accelerometer. :D

Update: every time part is spawned in the center of mun, or something. If pan camera below surface and press "Take" I see explosions and debris, they're also listed in F3 events. I have no idea why.

Update2: the only conclusion I can make is that KAS parts are incompatible with hyperedit. If I transport a grappling hook on the mun and try to use it there it will eventually crash into terrain and explode. At the moment it is listed as "Jebediah Kerman's debris".

Edited by Corovaneer

Can anyone confirm, is there anything hyperedit does that KAS can not handle, or is it just something that happens with KAS regardless of hyperedit, because of other reasons?

A grappling hook disappeared from my rover, when it was attached to the ground, but I figured it was debris and removed by debris=0 in the menu, which I forgot to turn off. To go on with mission I tried to replace the hook with hyperedit. I can place it near my team, and it behaves normally at first. At some moment, however, I attach a hook to surface, and when I switch to the rover it either explodes or flies off upward and becomes fixed somewhere in the air, unresponsive to GUI commands. At this point, if I try to load a game, the hook may be attached where it was but KAS thinks nothing is attached and winch is fully retracted, or GUI buttons may be pushable, with sound playing but cable not extending or retracting. If I try to load game again, the planet will likely won't load at all, the rover will be stuck in motion, and time standing still. KSP.log is spammed with exceptions. This can only be fixed by backup save file.