[1.1.2] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.5.8

KospY

Can you add a manual on how to add parts from other mods please?

What I need is to add the ScanSAT "Been There Done That" component to the attachable items I can put in a container. I have put a bunch of sats in orbit and would like to add this part to all of them without having to relauch, reposition, rephase all of them.

I second that. I'm looking forward to replace halogen Illuminators with Aerospace's Led Spotlights :)

On a side note: I think it would be interesting if radial winches (winch3 and winch4) could be taken from a container, soldered onto a part through EVA, but not be able to be removed after added. It would still be "realistic", and wouldn't require reconstructing complex structures lifted before the mod was installed.

Since I can't edit my post yet, here's a double post:

I did try adding the following to MM_Squad.cfg:

@PART[A1_White]:FOR[KAS]
{
MODULE
{
name = KASModuleGrab
evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.00, -0.15)
evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)
storable = true
storedSize = 8
attachOnPart = True
attachOnEva = False
attachOnStatic = False
attachSendMsgOnly = False
}
}

Which SHOULD add Aerospace's non-protected Spot Light x1, with the same size as Illuminator Mk 2. However, it doesn't appear on the list when I right click a container.

Please, mod, merge all these posts...

According to KAS's Github, KasModuleGrab should "add the possibility to grab, attach, store and mount a part from Eva.". But I just tested it, and Aerospace's Spots are still ungrabbable (hence, unstorable). Also, note that ScanSAT's BTDT is not grabbable (haven't added it onto the MM_Squad.cfg though)

Edited by Master Tao
merged by request

Having an issue getting this to work for some strange reason and would be very appreciative of any assistance. I've been using KAS for a long time, along with many mods, with no issue at all. Yesterday I installed an additional copy of KSP onto my computer in a different location from the first, as I wanted a game to play with different mods than my stock game. After installing mods including KAS -- I found that every time I would go to launch a ship, the game pops up an error telling me that sound files cannot be located such as grab, attach, EVA grab, etc. When flying the ship, EVA and like sounds that are reported in errors are totally muted. I have repeatedly verified that the the reported-to-be-missing sound files are correctly located as .ogg files within GameData/KAS/Sounds. It's almost like the mod isn't looking in the correct place for the sound files.

So, I've deleted and redownloaded/installed mod again correctly into GameData folder, deleted other mods besides KAS, ensures the game is running as administrator... and so on. Yet I am still getting this list of errors whenever I launch a new ship from KSC.

What's really nuts, is if I install KAS onto my initial KSP install, it works fine. I only get this error when the mod is installed on a subsequent installation of KSP. Has anyone had anything like this before? Any tips or recommendations?

It certianly is most likely not this mods fault at all, but I've been using KSP mods for years now and have never encountered this error/issue before.

Thank you for any wisdom,

--Holy

::EDIT::

Update: After getting help and wisdom from the KSP Kiwi chat, and a lot of testing, it seems that my computer takes issue with any KSP install after the first on the same hard drive -- regardless of the install location of the subsequent installs after the first. If I install my second game into a different hard drive, I register no errors. So my first install in C:/KSP/KSP install works fine. The second KSP install in C:/KSP/KSP install #2 gives sound files errors. So does other second installs in C:/games/KSP install #2 and C:/KSP install 2. However, a second install on F:/KSP/KSP gives no errors.

This is clearly not the mods fault and is some crazy windows issue.

UPDATE 2:

Figured it out, KSP will not load anything inside a folder with the "#" symbol. I renamed the folder from "KSP install #2" to "KSP install 2" and it works fine. Will type a report for squad!

Edited by Holyvision
Update

Can you add a manual on how to add parts from other mods please?

What I need is to add the ScanSAT "Been There Done That" component to the attachable items I can put in a container. I have put a bunch of sats in orbit and would like to add this part to all of them without having to relauch, reposition, rephase all of them.

You may like https://github.com/KospY/KAS/wiki/KASModuleGrab

Or you need to do a persistent.sfs edit to make a part automagically require what you want.

You can press Ctrl-K to bring up the debug menu for easier grab positioning.

EDIT: forgot something...

This module can be applied to parts with a ModuleManager config file, like

@PART[<part name*>]
{
MODULE
{
name = KASModuleGrab
<some more config lines>
}
}

*the name is not the name displayed in-game, but the name in the config file of the part itself.

I did try adding the following to MM_Squad.cfg:

@PART[A1_White]:FOR[KAS]
{
MODULE
{
name = KASModuleGrab
evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.00, -0.15)
evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)
storable = true
storedSize = 8
attachOnPart = True
attachOnEva = False
attachOnStatic = False
attachSendMsgOnly = False
}
}

Which SHOULD add Aerospace's non-protected Spot Light x1, with the same size as Illuminator Mk 2. However, it doesn't appear on the list when I right click a container.

Change A1_White to B9_Utility_Light_A1_White

Always use the name in the config file itself.

EDIT 2: ModuleManager tutorial: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55219-Module-Manager-1-5-6-%28Jan-6%29/post#2

Edited by ExtremeTrader

Hey guys,

One more WIP of new models for the small containers and container bay that will replace the actual ones. We planned to have 3 size of them and this one should be able to contain most of the 0.625 parts and fit in 1.25 cargo bays :

6kzRvdR.png

There were not many real world references for those but i tried to keep a realistic design. Stock-alike texturing wasn't easy neither but I think (hope) I'm getting good at it :P

I also realised that my own KSP game is getting very long to load as I have so many mods (mods with many parts and neat but oversized textures).

That is why I tries to improve my edgeflow and UV unwrapping skills in blender. Now both of those models are less than 140 triangles with 256px textures, which is almost half of what i was used to do before.

Anyway, work goes pretty well and Kospy showed me many great features he's working on (but i'll let him talk about that :wink:).

Edited by winn75

I'm loving all the news, this is a mod for indispensable.

I read about the fork to KAS and KIS, and in my opinion, they could be in the same package, just put separated folders for each one in the install tree folder, and let people manage what they wan't. Like we do with the parts that we don't wan't for all the mods.

But, do like you think must be.

Waiting for the release.

;)

Edited by Climberfx

Hey guys,

One more WIP of new models for the small containers and container bay that will replace the actual ones. We planned to have 3 size of them and this one should be able to contain most of the 0.625 parts and fit in 1.25 cargo bays :

Looks great! Any chance the three sizes could be one part with a TweakScale config so the parts catalog doesn't get too crowded? Shouldn't be too memory intensive because they all use the same texture, right?

I'd like to be able to assemble a ship off world, like at a Munar base...

For example, say I've brought up two pieces of a simple lander module, each assembled on Kerbin separately, then brought up to my Mun base on two separate missions. The first part is the tank and engine, the second part is the command module. Can I use the KAS components to put these two pieces together while on the Mun?

I'd like to be able to assemble a ship off world, like at a Munar base...

For example, say I've brought up two pieces of a simple lander module, each assembled on Kerbin separately, then brought up to my Mun base on two separate missions. The first part is the tank and engine, the second part is the command module. Can I use the KAS components to put these two pieces together while on the Mun?

No. I don't think so. You can't grab/attack/put in container that kind of item. However you can bring fuel tank and engine as one pice and put in Mun orbit and in second mission you deliver command module in Mun orbit. Both pieces should have dock port, so you can connect those together.

Then you can use KAS container with some items in it and then attach additional parts to your previously connected engine/fuel/command module. As additional KAS parts you can use small RCS thrusters, struts, lights, solar panels, parachutes etc. Whatever is not too heavy for Kerbal in EVA suit to manage.

No. I don't think so. You can't grab/attack/put in container that kind of item. However you can bring fuel tank and engine as one pice and put in Mun orbit and in second mission you deliver command module in Mun orbit. Both pieces should have dock port, so you can connect those together.

Then you can use KAS container with some items in it and then attach additional parts to your previously connected engine/fuel/command module. As additional KAS parts you can use small RCS thrusters, struts, lights, solar panels, parachutes etc. Whatever is not too heavy for Kerbal in EVA suit to manage.

The idea was not to put the tank/engine piece in a container, but just to "drop" the piece on the surface like you would a normal rover.

I guess my question is really about attachment points...I know you won't get VAB-type "green ball" attachment points, but are there pieces that sort of act like docking ports (but maybe more structurally stable)? So the fuel tank/engine assembly would have an attachment point, the command module would have an attachment point, then I use a crane to lift the command module and place it on the engine/tank and connect the two points?

So the fuel tank/engine assembly would have an attachment point, the command module would have an attachment point, then I use a crane to lift the command module and place it on the engine/tank and connect the two points?

Yes.Sort of.

Outside of SPH/VAB editor you can only use dock port as sort of "green ball" attachment point. But KAS will alow you to use surface attached parts to put on any surface of ship as you like.

So, in space or other celestial body in "flight" you can attach strut points and use those points to connect different vesel parts, two different vesels or even vesel and planet surface.

That kind of parts you can put in those mentioned conteiner. Those are made to be structurally stable, to help make stronger connection between two parts of vesels previously connected only with dock ports. For example, you can grab two pipe connectors (one at a time) with EVA, put it on different places on craft an then you can create a link between them.

Also KAS brings some other parts that could be used to build crane for lifting different parts and connect larger pieces together. Like winches, magnets, hooks, stuff like that.

You will get more insight if you just install mod and try it in sandbox game. You will not be disappointed.

Latest KSP update, 0.90.0, renders the vast majority of KAS useless. Fortunately, it doesn't corrupt any saves or remove any parts from your ships, but it does remove the ability to edit containers. I haven't had time to mess with wenches and such and I am admittedly new to this mod, but none of my storage boxes can be edited nor do they show the ability to be edited in the extra-info screen. Hope they get this fixed soon, this is my favorite mod after MechJeb and I've been building my repair ship for three days.

Tested those here: Containers, fuel and strut ports.

None are working right now. You can't edit the container's content, and Kerbals can't interact with the ports or containers.

Give the mod maker some time, I'm sure we'll have it updated soonâ„¢. :)