[1.1.2] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.5.8

KospY

KospY, you should definitely update KAS so that only engineers can use it. This would definitely add some depth to gameplay!
Just came here to say the exact same thing!!

or to prevent a deluge of people complaining about how a change like that some how "broke" their save(even when its not the right use of the term cause the save still runs) and "ruined" their missions(cause heaven forbid you roll with it and send a rescue) how about we say the engineers just get extra perks like longer reach, stack attach or angle snap?

or to prevent a deluge of people complaining about how a change like that some how "broke" their save(even when its not the right use of the term cause the save still runs) and "ruined" their missions(cause heaven forbid you roll with it and send a rescue) how about we say the engineers just get extra perks like longer reach, stack attach or angle snap?

Could have it as an opt-in in a config file?

Could also restrict what they can carry - so for instance - anyone can carry a container but only an engineer can carry a lifesupport module

All restrictive changes must be optional, especially around time game patch is released. Especially when game patch changes related mechanics.

Forgive me if this was discussed already, but I couldn't find reference to it. I've flushed my KSP install and started over with .90. I got KAS installed and thought it was working, but I can't seem to open the storage boxes or interact with any of the attachments at launch. Pipe ends and other attachments can't be grabbed or moved, etc. Is there somewhere else I should post this question? Or does someone have an idea?

I built a ship with a winch and grappling hook and attempted to grapple an asteroid with it. I have two problems:

1. The grappling hook passed straight through almost the center of the (Class B) asteroid and grabbed the ship on the far side already attached to the asteroid (the other ship was attached with an Advanced Grabbing Unit).

2. I eventually figured out I needed to be in a particular orientation to the grappling hook to be able to detach it. Having done so, I now can't retract the hook all the way. It gets pulled back to the winch and an error message appears saying "Connected parts not aligned! Locking impossible!" So I can't re-arm the winch for another shot at something else.

I see that the hook seems to be treated as a separate 'ship' for many game purposes such as camera focus and the like. Unfortunately pulling on it (even when the cable is all retracted) doesn't change its 'orientation' such that it can be reattached to the winch. This would probably work much better in a gravity well, where the constant accelleration of gravity would orient the hook. (Unless the winch was sideways or upside down relative to gravity, in which case you're screwed.)

Are these known bugs?

I did eventually get the hook to retract, but only by waiting until the hook is oriented almost correctly (about like a docking port) and then retracting it the rest of the way. It takes some fiddling.

It definitely will not work on asteroids tho. It either bounces off them (if still reeled all the way in to the winch) or passes entirely through them. Guess I'll have to use it on ships attached to asteroids.

I suppose this also means that I won't be able to place a pylon on an asteroid, and thereby link two or more asteroids with struts. :(

You can use pylons to extend your range

Well yes, i should of mentioned that i knew this. But will it work for such distances? Does it cut off at 2.2 km which is the distance for objects to despawn from your point, also is there a way to make it so when hitting [ ] does not cycle through pylons?

I am sure this has been asked before. Actually, I am sure it is, because I found some threads with this.

But those threads are either older (pre .90 or even still older). Or I just don't get it.

Problem is this: I want to make the Mechjeb module grapable. And others possibly in the future.

So, ok. Is there a way to explain this "for dummies" so to speak? I gather I have to add some lines to a .cfg somewhere. My guess would be the part.cfg

But what to add?

Reason is this: I am transporting the PackRat in KAS-containers. To Minmus (not yet sure if this is a good idea, but worth a try). And I want to use Mechjeb. But since I am assembling the PackRat on site, I have no way to add Mechjeb. Or haven't found out yet how to do that.

Help would be much appreciated. It is not strictly speaking necessary for gameplay... but I'd like to figure out how to do it.

EDIT: I DID figure it out. Worked first try, to my great surprise. Testing right now... to actually attach it to a rover.

Edited by Tokay Gris

Hi, Im using .90 and have installed 4.10, but it seems that no matter what I do I cant get the Winch controls to come up or put anything into the Container A or B's. Not sure if this is a known issue or conflict with another add on? Thoughts?? Thanks, WMC

Hi, Im using .90 and have installed 4.10, but it seems that no matter what I do I cant get the Winch controls to come up or put anything into the Container A or B's. Not sure if this is a known issue or conflict with another add on? Thoughts?? Thanks, WMC

I had a similar problem once... My solution was module manager. Are you using that?

I had a similar problem once... My solution was module manager. Are you using that?

Not sure. I am using Kerabl Mod Admin as a separate utility. I actually removed the 4.7 mod and reinstalled the 4.10 and still no joy. Was thinking something was overwriting it. Thanks, WMC

If KAS isn't working with MM 2.5.4 & 2.5.6 then it needs to be updated (KAS, that is), because many other mods are using the later versions and as far as I've been told, only the newest version will load if there are multiple in the GameData folder.

No I am not using Module Manager. But how did you resolve the issue with using that?? Thanks, WMC

If you don't have the Module Manager .dll in your GameData folder, then a lot of mods would not be working correctly.

If KAS isn't working with MM 2.5.4 & 2.5.6 then it needs to be updated (KAS, that is), because many other mods are using the later versions and as far as I've been told, only the newest version will load if there are multiple in the GameData folder.

If you don't have the Module Manager .dll in your GameData folder, then a lot of mods would not be working correctly.

Well everything loads, and I am able to pick the parts from the bin and attach them. I just cant activate the Winch UI at all. Will have to dig in further when I get home. Will check for the .dll.

Wonder if that too is the issue with Hex Truss .30. They are all available to use, but the docking Hex Truss Docking module wont activate when you try to dock them.

WMC

Well everything loads, and I am able to pick the parts from the bin and attach them. I just cant activate the Winch UI at all. Will have to dig in further when I get home. Will check for the .dll.

Wonder if that too is the issue with Hex Truss .30. They are all available to use, but the docking Hex Truss Docking module wont activate when you try to dock them.

WMC

Module Manager is what allows mods to add/remove/change the modules on other parts without overwriting the original part files, but its not a Mod in and of itself, it's a .dll file that most mod authors release with their mods that use/require it.

As for the KAS errors... I have no idea.