[1.1.2] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.5.8

KospY

I have a problem with KAS. Once I grab a part with the context menu (the letter G only functions if the part is floating around or is dropped first. Is that ok?) and want to put said part in a new location, I can´t attach it again. I read the wiki but couldn't understand how to do this.

anyone can help me?

Thanks

I'm running KSP 0.90 (32 bits) and only this mod.

pretty sure H is to place a part you are currently carrying. you have to be fairly close to the position you want to place it.

Thanks!.

It was my fault. I was assuming that if I install the mod, all the parts (containers in this case) could be attached to others.

I am new to KSP (just got to Minmus, yay!) and have been told that this is a *must have* mod. However, after reading through all 43 pages of posts here I am still a little unclear as to why this mod is considered essential. Can someone please enlighten me?

I am still a little unclear as to why this mod is considered essential. Can someone please enlighten me?

Here are some possible times it would be considered very useful, if not essential:

- taking science sensors off of things and putting them on other things

- using the struts to reinforce orbital builds

- putting a solar panel/RTG/battery on a dead probe because you forgot to extend the solar panels on it

- putting on anything that you probably should've remembered before you left (chutes, antenna, RCS tanks and blocks (yes, I have done this more often than I would like to admit)

- refuelling something without a docking port and you don't want to/can't use the Claw

- linking together ground bases or just generally moving stuff around.

Maybe check the old thread for more info as well? If the first picture doesn't make you want it, then I don't know what will.

I am new to KSP (just got to Minmus, yay!) and have been told that this is a *must have* mod. However, after reading through all 43 pages of posts here I am still a little unclear as to why this mod is considered essential. Can someone please enlighten me?

ObsessedwithKSP has some good reasons let me add the big one:

It's one of those things you don't realize you need until you don't have it. It alters your thinking about how you will do a mission when Kerbals manipulating things on EVA is an option.

For example I've been building a Mun Base with the USI parts. I can't imagine not being able to hook up fuel lines, crawl spaces, repair/replace solar panels, remove extraneous landing gear, etc.

It's also really nice, maybe even essential, with space planes to be able to place struts on cargo you put in the cargo bay after you've picked it up. COM shifting around during landing because something is bouncing around on the docking port in your cargo bay suuucks. Same goes for space stations and other orbital constructions; you can EVA strut around that docking port and remove quite a bit of that wobble.

Other ways you NEED this mod is to work around tons of bugs the game will throw at you. And other fun stuff!

1. Swap out a faulty docking port (caused by the famous docking bug)

2. Pulling off failed decoupled parts

3. Infernal robotics parts are notorious for twisting and mangling off crafts, so KAS lets you pull those bad parts off

4. Removing unneeded RCS thrusters off a space station module you used to get it to dock

5. Towing rovers and other stuff

6. Emergency Refueling

7. Last but not least..........STRAPPING DOWN YOUR MUN LANDER TO SURFACE!!!!

It's also really useful when paired with other mods, like hooliganlabs airships, Life support mods, as well as making it easier to refuel spaceplanes that you have landed (Trust me, this is useful when you have a base on laythe)

Apart from the already mentioned, very fine and sensible ( and true) reasons there is another: Lights. When I send something up for orbital assembly I always pack some lights into a box, so that my Kerbals can place them once I am done. Or maybe earlier, if I notice some work in progress area needs more light. I just hate time warping just because I am on the dark side and can't see stuff.

OK, I read lots of posts with the same doubt as mine, but all the answers couldn't fix my problem. The deal is: I sent a huge base to Mun and I lack the skills to land it in one piece. But I forgot to place the MechJeb2 control /facepalm. Now I'm trying to enable it with KAS, but I can't. I changed the MM_Squad.cfg file (couldn't find addModule.cfg on this new version), and wrote this:

@PART[mumech_MJ2_AR202]:HAS[!MODULE[KASModuleGrab]]:FOR[KAS]{

name = KASModuleGrab

evaPartPos = (0.0, -0.05, -0.2)

evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)

physicJoint = False

storable = True

storedSize = 5

attachOnPart = True

attachOnEva = True

attachOnStatic = False

attachSendMsgOnly = False

customGroundPos = true

dropPartPos = (0.0, 0.0, -1.0)

dropPartRot = (0.0, 0.0, 0.0)

}

Am I doing this right? I can't find the MechJeb2 control on the "Edit Container" option, neither remove it while on EVA from other ship.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Oh, actually my mistake was pretty stupid.. I forgot to type a MODULE, here the one that worked for me:

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleGrab

evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.09, -0.23)

evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)

physicJoint = true

storable = true

storedSize = 5

attachOnPart = True

attachOnEva = True

attachOnStatic = False

}

}

Edited by Pseudim

I experienced a little problem with KAS today. While I was flying my station I noticed a few lights were misplaced. So I installed KAS to move the lights in their proper spots. I had a little surprise when I pressed the EVA button: Instead of the kerbal going on EVA a fake kerbal was shot out of the lander can and smashed into an adapter, tearing the station apart. Didn't experience the problem before as I went to a light and tried to move it before installing KAS.

Edited by battlefieldaces

I experienced a little problem with KAS today. While I was flying my station I noticed a few lights were misplaced. So I installed KAS to move the lights in their proper spots. I had a little surprise when I pressed the EVA button: Instead of the kerbal going on EVA a fake kerbal was shot out of the lander can and smashed into an adapter, tearing the station apart. Didn't experience the problem before as I went to a light and tried to move it before installing KAS.

Vanilla bug. Check out the Stock Bug Fixes sticky post.

I am having aproblem where things are disappearing when I take them out of a KAS container?

I can place a radial M2 parachute into the container in the vab. I go to orbit, open the container, and click take on the parachute and it just poofs. Nothing on my kerbal and nothing left in the container. As a test I placed the chute on the outside of the eva vehicle and then opened the KAS container and put the chute into it and it appears in the KAS list if items. I then close the KAS container and reopen it and click take and the item just vanishes again??

I removed and re-installed KAS. Is there anything else I can do to help figure this out?

I am having aproblem where things are disappearing when I take them out of a KAS container?

I can place a radial M2 parachute into the container in the vab. I go to orbit, open the container, and click take on the parachute and it just poofs. Nothing on my kerbal and nothing left in the container. As a test I placed the chute on the outside of the eva vehicle and then opened the KAS container and put the chute into it and it appears in the KAS list if items. I then close the KAS container and reopen it and click take and the item just vanishes again??

I removed and re-installed KAS. Is there anything else I can do to help figure this out?

Hi guys, I'm having the same problem. It looks like instead of the object being on the Kerbal's back it spawns in space. The object is not in orbit but stationary at the altitude where you initiated the grab. If you go into tracking it'll show as debris and can be "recovered" even though it's no where near Kerbin's surface...

Any ideas?

P.S. storage of objects during EVA is fine. Detaching an external object then mounting it somewhere else is also fine, it's just the "picking up" from a container part that's got gremlins.

Edited by NightOwl07

Hi guys, I'm having the same problem. It looks like instead of the object being on the Kerbal's back it spawns in space. The object is not in orbit but stationary at the altitude where you initiated the grab. If you go into tracking it'll show as debris and can be "recovered" even though it's no where near Kerbin's surface...

Any ideas?

P.S. storage of objects during EVA is fine. Detaching an external object then mounting it somewhere else is also fine, it's just the "picking up" from a container part that's got gremlins.

Yes, I can confirm nightowls post. When taking the object from the container it spawns off some distance from the kirbal. I can also put things into the container and attach items just fine. Just taking things from the container seems to be borked.

Here is the result of taking a radial parachute from the container on the launchpad ... and it's just floating there forzen in space. Check the apo and peri shown in the ker windows?!?

yOl6T21.png

On a separate but related point. How do I put the container back in the rack if I remove it?

Edited by ctbram

Hey, what can i do to configure the mechjeb part to be kas compatible?

Just one page before this:

OK, I read lots of posts with the same doubt as mine, but all the answers couldn't fix my problem. The deal is: I sent a huge base to Mun and I lack the skills to land it in one piece. But I forgot to place the MechJeb2 control /facepalm. Now I'm trying to enable it with KAS, but I can't. I changed the MM_Squad.cfg file (couldn't find addModule.cfg on this new version), and wrote this:

Am I doing this right? I can't find the MechJeb2 control on the "Edit Container" option, neither remove it while on EVA from other ship.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Oh, actually my mistake was pretty stupid.. I forgot to type a MODULE, here the one that worked for me:

MODULE
{
name = KASModuleGrab
evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.09, -0.23)
evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)
physicJoint = true
storable = true
storedSize = 5
attachOnPart = True
attachOnEva = True
attachOnStatic = False
}
}

What container are you guys using that you're having the problem with, the tall one or the short one (one is A and one is B, can't remember)?

I have been only using the shorter one during my .9 career and have had zero issues removing items from storage and having them go on my back.

Is the difference between pipes and struts and winches actually documented anywhere? I did check the wiki, and the changelog, but I couldn't find it.

I know pipes enable resource transfer, and I know winches used to, at least in docking mode, but do they still do that? (If so, is there an option to turn that off now we have pipes? I guess if you're docked it's one ship, so no, unless you have some other mod that checks the fuel graph...)

Generally a little more explanation of when it's best to use each type would be really nice, if anyone knows please.