[1.1.2] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.5.8

KospY

is there any problem known if i add this mod to a already running game? have put a station into orbit which took me two damn days because im a noob at docking and if i want to raise its orbit now, it wobbles to death so i wanted to give a few extra placed struts a shot?! thanks :D

Nope, no issues with adding them in the middle of an existing game AFAIK.

The flexotube uses the same modules as KAS's pipe, just with models that look big enough to walk or crawl through. KAS could probably package the models MKS is using without violence to the license until someone has time to do it in a different art style.

hmm, good idea.. If nothing else, I might try to extract that single part and it's model, at least so I can use it myself without having all the other stuff from that mod. heh

The flexotube uses the same modules as KAS's pipe, just with models that look big enough to walk or crawl through. KAS could probably package the models MKS is using without violence to the license until someone has time to do it in a different art style.

Roverdude did say that he made his licence as free as possible (I believe), so as long as you ask him, it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Can't edit the containers in the VAB. This is what I get out of the debug menu when I try.

[Exception]: ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
Parameter name: index

Strangely, no problem opening, adding or removing from the container out of the VAB. I've been using KAS for a while but only recently got it for my 0.90 version of the game.

I am having a similar issue. My troubles started after I installed Universal Storage and KSOS. Prior to these add-ons, I could edit in the VAB just fine. I even flew out to Minmus and assembled a PackRat there using KAS.

*UPDATE* Neither of those is the culprit. I'm going to try rolling this back to find the culprit. *sigh*

*UPDATE2* I think it might have been ATM. I pulled all my mods out and put them on a few at a time, and KAS was working. The only ones I didn't add back were KSOS and ATM (the new KSOS requires ATM). I did revert MJ from 2.4.2-401 back to 2.4.2 but I can't believe that would be the problem. So ATM is my best guess? I was using x86 basic.

*UPDATE3* I just put ATM x86 basic back on after a crash. Editing KAS pods in VAB works fine. So now I am thoroughly confused. O_O

Edited by oversoul

I am having a similar issue. My troubles started after I installed Universal Storage and KSOS. Prior to these add-ons, I could edit in the VAB just fine. I even flew out to Minmus and assembled a PackRat there using KAS.

*UPDATE* Neither of those is the culprit. I'm going to try rolling this back to find the culprit. *sigh*

*UPDATE2* I think it might have been ATM. I pulled all my mods out and put them on a few at a time, and KAS was working. The only ones I didn't add back were KSOS and ATM (the new KSOS requires ATM). I did revert MJ from 2.4.2-401 back to 2.4.2 but I can't believe that would be the problem. So ATM is my best guess? I was using x86 basic.

*UPDATE3* I just put ATM x86 basic back on after a crash. Editing KAS pods in VAB works fine. So now I am thoroughly confused. O_O

It hasn't been enough of an issue for me to go through the trouble of trying to nail down the culprit (if there is any other than my own possible idiocy). I mostly use KAS for fuel transfer and just grabbing some stuff here and there. I am using ATM so if that's the culprit, I'll get it working soon enough.

If it's not, I'll go on a full hunt.

Hi Kospy

I love KAS. Since the 0.90 version, have you thought about adding something that only lets a suitably qualified engineer to attach/grab certain items on spacecraft. The Engineer profession is rather weak and KAS could really spice it up.

I was looking at the config files for which items can be detachable and it doesn't look like that much of a stretch to add this.

I thought a difficulty curve for objects might be cool

A 1 star engineer can attach fuel lines together

A 3 star can place pipes attachment on spacecraft

A five star engineer could attach a MechJeb or extra engines/RCS thrusters.

Sorry if you or someone else already thought of this but I only found a small section on Reddit for this

http://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/2pjaty/engineers_have_minimal_utility_next_to/

Hi Kospy

I love KAS. Since the 0.90 version, have you thought about adding something that only lets a suitably qualified engineer to attach/grab certain items on spacecraft. The Engineer profession is rather weak and KAS could really spice it up.

I was looking at the config files for which items can be detachable and it doesn't look like that much of a stretch to add this.

Sorry if you or someone else already thought of this but I only found a small section on Reddit for this

http://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/2pjaty/engineers_have_minimal_utility_next_to/

That would be good as an option but not default behaviour as it would cut down KAS's mass appeal.

Hi Kospy

I'm all for this.. I think it would be great for career!

For people who do not know, I'm working on a major overhaul of KAS. The first iteration of this will be the release of KIS (Kerbal Inventory System).

KIS will be standalone and introduce a new way for grabbing, attaching and storing parts. It will replace the old container system in KAS and will be the core for all new "Kerbal Systems" mods.

I will update then KAS to use the new KIS system, and remove the old containers system from it. Meanwhile, it will let's time to people to move parts from KAS container to new KIS container, by simply grab and drop parts ingame instead of editing save files.

That also mean that KAS will be a lot more modular in the end, so people will be able to install only what they want (containers / inventory, pipes & struts, winches, etc...).

About KIS, I keep working on it and this take a lot of time because I want it to be as polished as possible for the release. I'm also working to add modding capabilities, so modders will be able to create new items easly.

I will not update KAS until KIS is released. I hope this will happen soon, as all majors bugs have been resolved recently, and main features are in. However, I can't give any release date for now.

Hi Kospy

KIS will introduce item profession requirement. Right now, it's pretty basic, it only check if the item can be equipped by the kerbal depending of his profession. But that can be expanded later if needed.

For exemple, in KIS, if you want to attach a part on another part, you will need to use a specific kind of tool, only usable by an engineer.

Difficulty curve / progression is done by unlocking new tools in the R&D building, rather than using experience from kerbal traits, to avoid confusing players. Ex : a wrench can only radially attach small parts, an electric screwdriver can radially attach bigger parts, a welding tool can stack and radially attach any parts, etc...

Edited by KospY

It hasn't been enough of an issue for me to go through the trouble of trying to nail down the culprit (if there is any other than my own possible idiocy). I mostly use KAS for fuel transfer and just grabbing some stuff here and there. I am using ATM so if that's the culprit, I'll get it working soon enough.

If it's not, I'll go on a full hunt.

[Exception]: ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range. Parameter name: index

This exact thing happened to me when i installed KSOS today, except that message spams the log when i try (and fail) to edit a container in the SPH/VAB... ive had universal storage forever and i know that it isnt the problem...

edit:btw not using ATM at all, i convert to .dds

removing KSOS does not fix the issue either, starting a new save does nothing as well. it's strange because it worked last night....

I NAILED IT

The problem occurs when the Firespitter.dll from ksos is used. Replacing it with the one packaged with Roverdude's MKS works as it should.

Edited by Orange_Ignition

[Exception]: ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range. Parameter name: index

This exact thing happened to me when i installed KSOS today, except that message spams the log when i try (and fail) to edit a container in the SPH/VAB... ive had universal storage forever and i know that it isnt the problem...

edit:btw not using ATM at all, i convert to .dds

removing KSOS does not fix the issue either, starting a new save does nothing as well. it's strange because it worked last night....

I NAILED IT

The problem occurs when the Firespitter.dll from ksos is used. Replacing it with the one packaged with Roverdude's MKS works as it should.

Thanks for this! Just spent 2 hours combing through my lists of mods and keep puzzling about what cause the error. Turns out I just need Roverdude's firespitter quickfix. Got the thing working now.

I want to do something like this https://camo.githubusercontent.com/a104181a872b4bf20b8665e7c868a1fc34620440/687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f55655964415a5a2e706e67 but without the need for eva or a cable. I want to end up in that 4th picture, I effectively want to connect a winch to a connector without having to go EVA. Ideally I'd get the winch port right up to the connector port, and they would connect once sufficiently aligned.

I can do a very similar thing with a magnet, but the magnet can attach anywhere. I'd love a more precise alignment. I can also do a similar thing with two docking ports, but I don't want the two vessels docked (to be merged into one vessel). I'm willing to edit .cfg files and/or create new parts to get this behaviour, is this doable with any of the KAS* modules? I want to create a pair of parts like the end-effector (on the arm) and grapple-fixture (on the vessel) of the Canadarm. Thinking about it, it is very like a stock docking port behaviour, without the actual vessel-merging.

I think the answer is no: the winch and the connector/port parts in KAS are EVA-oriented. Just wanted to check.

I NAILED IT

So, it's tied to the firespitter.dll?

I need to figure out which version will fix my problem. I don't use MKS or KSOS.

I'll see if I have two versions of it hidden in my gamedata directory.

Alright, went and got the firespitter stuff from Rover's MKS thingy.

IT WORKED

May you always remember the face of your father!

Edited by Axelord FTW
Edited this post by accident instead of copying the info I needed for a new post

Had a question - I'm having a problem where certain parts, which do have the correct modules in them to be grabbable and storable in KAS (like the EL survey stake), don't appear in the list of available parts when editing a KAS container.

I.e. when I right click on a KAS container to edit it, there's a list of parts there I can add, but many parts are absent from it.

Any ideas on what might cause this, so that I can go figure out what's wrong? Could a bad config (or something) cause a whole bunch of parts not to populate that list...? Don't want to reinstall all my mods one by one and whatnot =(

Had a question - I'm having a problem where certain parts, which do have the correct modules in them to be grabbable and storable in KAS (like the EL survey stake), don't appear in the list of available parts when editing a KAS container.

I.e. when I right click on a KAS container to edit it, there's a list of parts there I can add, but many parts are absent from it.

Any ideas on what might cause this, so that I can go figure out what's wrong? Could a bad config (or something) cause a whole bunch of parts not to populate that list...? Don't want to reinstall all my mods one by one and whatnot =(

Did you buy the rights to use the part? Can you see the stake in the list of available parts (It's in Utility)? Right click on it and see if there's a bright green button on the bottom of its info page. Click that and you'll be able to put the stake in the container.

If that's not it, I have no clue. But it happened to me and gave me pause.

Hook is used for anchoring to the ground. I use it all the time. You can make landers that land on slopes of low-g bodies, anchor cranes so that they can lift heavier structure, build thin high towers for solar panels, anchored with 4 winches on top and hooks, and much more.

As for asteroids... Dunno. But magnet seems to work, at least it worked a year ago.

- - - Updated - - -

I've meant this type of tower, I did it some time ago:

45g-180-up1.jpg

You can bring it in parts, then assemble in site using small dock ports. The most complicated part is putting it into vertical position after that, but it makes an interesting challenge.

Hey guys, I have a good new!

Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) is almost ready for a first release.

Kospy and I are finishing working on bug tracking an the user guide to help you using the mod. It was a looooot of work on little free time but we finally have something we are happy with :)

We will make a dedicated thread soon !

until then, I made a little Imgur teaser album with some nice screenshots :

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Enjoy!

Kospy and I are finishing working on bug tracking an the user guide to help you using the mod. It was a looooot of work on little free time but we finally have something we are happy with :)

100% Pure Unadulterated Weapons Grade Awesome!

http://imgur.com/a/M3VaJ

Enjoy!

Awesomeness!

Also, you mean repairs, not reparations, which is a totally different word. Not normally a grammar ...., but just pointing that out. ;)

Edit: Didn't expect that to be blanked out, I swear.

Edited by smjjames

Also, you mean repairs, not reparations, which is a totally different word. Not normally a grammar ...., but just pointing that out. ;)

You are right indeed.

I ment "repairs" but i can't update my imgur album as I wasn't logged in when I uploaded it.

Excusez mon français ;)

http://imgur.com/a/M3VaJ

Enjoy!

OMFG that should be stock!!!!! That looks so awesome :cool: