[1.1.2] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.5.8

KospY

OMFG that should be stock!!!!!

Thanks, I tried my best to make my part look stock and realistic even smallest object as...

OhXDgUu.png

The E-SD80 Electrical Screwdriver. Your future engineer's best friend as you'll need that to attach or detach part to ships.

Hey guys,

I have a bit of a problem with the winch and stack connector stuff.

So I built a Skycrane with KAS to land my rover on Laythe, but when I click extend on the right click menu (or even hotkeys) the crane doesn't move and is stuck. The menu indicates that the rope is getting longer, but nothing moves, and it seems like the stack connector plate and thus my rover is still rigidly fixed together. I assembled all of this in the VAB.

HOWEVER, when I built a crane without anything already under the winch and stack port in the VAB , it works. I can extend the rope and stack connector (by toggling the plug mode which I though was weird) and the rope extends out.

There were no messages like "the winch is blocked by...." so I'm really confused how to use this mod for my skycrane.

Oh and btw, KIS looks suhweet!

So I built a Skycrane with KAS to land my rover on Laythe, but when I click extend on the right click menu (or even hotkeys) the crane doesn't move and is stuck. The menu indicates that the rope is getting longer, but nothing moves, and it seems like the stack connector plate and thus my rover is still rigidly fixed together. I assembled all of this in the VAB.

Well, I was trying things wis KAS and i had the same "the winch is blocked by...." problem. Did you attached a part directly to the winch?

I placed a stack connector port (not the yellow radial one, the grey flat one) between my rover and my winch and it worked fine.

We'll have to update KAS after releasing KIS anyway as we have many things to rethink and add in this mod ;)

Well, I was trying things wis KAS and i had the same "the winch is blocked by...." problem. Did you attached a part directly to the winch?

I placed a stack connector port (not the yellow radial one, the grey flat one) between my rover and my winch and it worked fine.

We'll have to update KAS after releasing KIS anyway as we have many things to rethink and add in this mod ;)

Thats the thing. So far, the only thing between the rover's cubic octagonal strut point to the winch itself is a stack connector port. It doesn't say "the winch is blocked by..." anything when I try to extend it. It doesn't say anything. But the winch's rope doesn't extend and my rover still seems to be locked with the winch. I don't have struts holding it onto the winch either.

Do you have more images?

EaLs0gZ.jpg

Playing around with my new Munrunner II Heavy VTOL Cargo. This ship is 170t but is perfectly balanced.

The crates are custom ones I made by duplicating parts and editing .cfg to make them bigger. I'll work on 1.25m and 2.50m containers a bit later but I already have cool designs in mind.

r1Dldbl.jpg

Here I tried to build a full crane just by assembling parts on field from my 3 containers. Kerbin's gravity doesn't help so I had to add ladders to build higher.

Part volume is based on their x,y,z size and long but thin part can fit in smallerbut wider containers (It's a gameplay focused choice, so let's say part are dismantled when they are in containers to save space ;) ).

Another feature of KIS is that you can move heavier parts if you have many Kerbals in range (prepare to send large construction teams!).

That would be perfect for EVA followers mod.

I was hoping you could show the sistem itself, I mean the menu, that little hand when you grab a part, when you are holding a part, when you are placing one, etc.

But if you are going to release soon, I guess I can wait.

Beautiful ships btw.

Edited by Locob

Here I tried to build a full crane just by assembling parts on field from my 3 containers. Kerbin's gravity doesn't help so I had to add ladders to build higher.

OMG! I think this means that I'll be able to build my monorail! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Thats the thing. So far, the only thing between the rover's cubic octagonal strut point to the winch itself is a stack connector port. It doesn't say "the winch is blocked by..." anything when I try to extend it. It doesn't say anything. But the winch's rope doesn't extend and my rover still seems to be locked with the winch. I don't have struts holding it onto the winch either.

+1 on that, exactly the same issue ._.

Will do more testing...

Edit: Tested with various vessels; basically subassemblies failed to work in every case whereas attaching in the normal way would work. (To be fair, both tested subassemblies were fairly complex, so the bug might lie somehwere in a part combination or some design that triggers it, it his however very very late here so that will have to rest for now.)

Player.log, this one might be a little cluttered, but the sections from the tests should be near the bottom. OS is Linux Ubuntu, KSP is 64bit.

And some screens that show it very well, and might help finding possible oversights in construction...

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Tellion

OMG! I think this means that I'll be able to build my monorail! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

For the first release, we'll have only small containers (1 cubic meter) because we want to test core system of our mod (part manipulation with eva Kerbals, coherent and clean UI design, drag and drop system...).

Bigger container for bigger parts (even Jumbo 64 fuel tanks) will come later as we want to make field large constructions need more than only eva Kerbals (And its a lot of thinking and work to make this hard enought but still fun).

Until then, if you want to try big crazy things, you'll can easily modify containers volume or EVA kerbal MaxMass limitations.

Just remember, our mod is also limited to Stock game limitations (2Km physic calculation, colisions engine, etc.).

I'm not sure how a >2km railway can be done but that is part of the fun modding KSP : get impressed by creative peoples who beat laws of (KSP) physic and common sense.

So I'm sure you'll find a way ;)

is eva construction in KIS gonna work just as well in orbit? (only pictures shown so far are of antics on the planet's surface)

I'm sure it would, it's just the added challenge of being in space.

Would be nice if there was a button to cancel out your relative velocity while on EVA.

That would be perfect for EVA followers mod.

I was hoping you could show the system itself, I mean the menu, that little hand when you grab a part, when you are holding a part, when you are placing one, etc.

But if you are going to release soon, I guess I can wait.

Ok, here are the GUI icons I created for the mod. I'll let you guess their meanings :

uPg9pTY.jpg

I also finished the user guide. I tried my best to answer to as many "how to" questions as possible and keep a clean design.

Hard work and not the funniest thing to do but we did it for the players and I'm sure it's gonna be a big help to use the mod and understand all the possibilities.

I'd love to show everything Kospy and I created right now but we want save some for the release (aren't we?) :)

First of thanks for all your hardwork you and the team been doing =) Second, will it be stored (the attached items) like the handscrewer on the kerbals during being in inventory or inside them witjout us seeing? Soooo coool to see the progess

is eva construction in KIS gonna work just as well in orbit? (only pictures shown so far are of antics on the planet's surface)

Well yes. The only thing you'll need is a surface to drop/spawn the part. Ships, containers, even Eva kerbal body are valid surfaces for part spawn. However, Eva kerbal body are not valid surfaces for part attachment.

Second, will it be stored (the attached items) like the handscrewer on the kerbals during being in inventory or inside them witjout us seeing? Soooo coool to see the progess

Yes, Kerbal will have a 2x4 items slots inventory and can carry 8 items at a time but they have limitation in mass and volume. So if you carry heavy or large items you won't be able to fill all 8 slots.

Items are not visible on kerbal if they are not equiped. Once equiped, the item will appear on the Kerbal depending on the equip emplacement in the part .cfg. as "right_hand", "left_hand", "head", "back"...

Kospy also created an simple and effective shortcut system with unused keyboard numbers in EVA to easily equip/unequip items.

- - - Updated - - -

My guesses:

Remove? Store?

repair/build grab/interact

something to do with weight cancel/close window

measure.

5 really close out of 7 (and you don't have the context).

Nice! that mean my icon design skills are still pretty good ;)

Nice!

Glad to hear about the unused key settings.

My gess on the icons are: drop, view container, attach, grab, too heavy, can't do, and too far distance.

Nice icons and models!

Sorry if I ask too much. I'm really excited.

Kospy has done him self with this new game changing mod.

Pretty sure he have more features in paper. The time will tell what he can show us.

Items are not visible on kerbal if they are not equiped. Once equiped, the item will appear on the Kerbal depending on the equip emplacement in the part .cfg. as "right_hand", "left_hand", "head", "back"...

Sweet. That means I can get Bill to dual wield a screw driver and a spanner like a badass engineer!

Are half-meter tall KIS containers planned? If not, would you please consider it?

Small containers will be the first to be release. They are just a bit bigger than 0.625m, to let 0.625m parts fit in and they are smaller than 1.25m to let them fit in 1.25m parts.

My guess on the icons are: drop, view container, attach, grab, too heavy, can't do, and too far distance.

Yeah that's it! Exept the second one;)

2nd is "mount" (a containter to a container mount).

But this verb seem a bit weird to me so if anyone can tell me its ok or have a better synonym.

The idea is : "you put the container back on the mount". it's not welded nor strapped nor buckled (maybe bind or clamped? There so many words for it).

Kospy has done him self with this new game changing mod.

Pretty sure he have more features in paper. The time will tell what he can show us.

You have no idea! Kospy showed me great stuffs! But time is what we lack the most to work on all of them :( (even if personnaly I'd love to work full time on modding :P)

Edited by winn75