[1.1.2] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.5.8

KospY

2nd is "mount" (a containter to a container mount).

But this verb seem a bit weird to me so if anyone can tell me its ok or have a better synonym.

The idea is : "you put the container back on the mount". it's not welded nor strapped nor buckled (maybe bind or clamped? There so many word for it).

"Secure" or "remount" would be ok, I think.

Does the attachment also saves during enting a commandpod and such? Thanks for anwering questions and showing screens :D happy news

Yes, Kerbals EVA inventories are saved entering/leaving a pod and add their mass to it.

You can also give a part to another crew member by right clicking on the pods he's in or clicking directly on him if he's in EVA.

You even can edit your crew inventory in VAB/SPH before launch.

I found a funny bug in KAS.

This is engineering test article for upcoming mission:

9JPf9KKh.png

What to look at:

M-beam

Winch

Stack connector port

Landing can

Winch is supposed to be used to lower cabins onto the to ground and back up via hole in ascend rocket's structure (not shown here).

It basically works, but with funny twitch: when Stack connector port reconnects with winch, kerbonaut's picture disappears.

If you done it with both kerbonauts, and THEN pressed C to access IVA to make sure kerbonauts is still there, camera snaps to ... inside of RG-0015 RGU and stays here. :D Sort of RGU IVA :sticktongue:

Any thoughts?

How do I get other parts that are attached to a KAS enabled part to stay on that part when I grab said KAS enabled part? I'm asking because I tried to grab the anchor and wheel (from kerbal foundries) so I could put it in another spot to drag the fallen over unit closer to my base.

screenshot8_zpspdcdmpdc.png

Can't wait for the new system though. :D

How do I get other parts that are attached to a KAS enabled part to stay on that part when I grab said KAS enabled part? I'm asking because I tried to grab the anchor and wheel (from kerbal foundries) so I could put it in another spot to drag the fallen over unit closer to my base.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/smjjames/screenshot8_zpspdcdmpdc.png

Can't wait for the new system though. :D

That would break the game. Imagine grabbing a docking port of your ship, do you expect to carry the entire ship on your back with that port?

+1 on that, exactly the same issue ._.

Will do more testing...

Edit: Tested with various vessels; basically subassemblies failed to work in every case whereas attaching in the normal way would work. (To be fair, both tested subassemblies were fairly complex, so the bug might lie somehwere in a part combination or some design that triggers it, it his however very very late here so that will have to rest for now.)

Player.log, this one might be a little cluttered, but the sections from the tests should be near the bottom. OS is Linux Ubuntu, KSP is 64bit.

And some screens that show it very well, and might help finding possible oversights in construction...

http://imgur.com/a/RJcCo

KAS is not supported on KSP x64. It will be the same for KIS.

x64 version will be dropped anyway in KSP 1.0. Try with KSP x86 version and report back if you encounter this problem again.

I found a funny bug in KAS.

This is engineering test article for upcoming mission:

http://i.imgur.com/9JPf9KKh.png

What to look at:

M-beam

Winch

Stack connector port

Landing can

Winch is supposed to be used to lower cabins onto the to ground and back up via hole in ascend rocket's structure (not shown here).

It basically works, but with funny twitch: when Stack connector port reconnects with winch, kerbonaut's picture disappears.

If you done it with both kerbonauts, and THEN pressed C to access IVA to make sure kerbonauts is still there, camera snaps to ... inside of RG-0015 RGU and stays here. :D Sort of RGU IVA :sticktongue:

Any thoughts?

Well, I don't remember trying this configuration, so I don't know if it work correctly or not. Also, I didn't touch the KAS code deeply last year, so I don't have any thoughts on this right now.

Anyway, I will work again on KAS after the relase of KIS. I have lot of work to do on KAS to make it compatible with KIS. So I will try to check your configuration at this time.

That would break the game. Imagine grabbing a docking port of your ship, do you expect to carry the entire ship on your back with that port?

Exactly :)

In KIS, it will be the same : you cannot grab part attached to another part(s). The only way is to detach them before.

It's a design choice.

Edited by KospY

The OS is linux, the linux 64bit version of unity is perfectly stable and so is KSP, which in this case is also supported by Squad and will be in the future. I have however found a workaround - after "extending" the winch for the first time, the gui allows switching plug modes - after that, the winch will extend and behave as expected. Drawback is that you now need a probecore with the winch, but it is totally playable.

The OS is linux, the linux 64bit version of unity is perfectly stable and so is KSP, which in this case is also supported by Squad and will be in the future. I have however found a workaround - after "extending" the winch for the first time, the gui allows switching plug modes - after that, the winch will extend and behave as expected. Drawback is that you now need a probecore with the winch, but it is totally playable.

Just checked and you right, linux 64 bit is and will be supported. I didn't know this, thank you for the information.

I will try to check your issue after the release of KIS.

Edited by KospY

Just checked and you right, linux 64 bit is and will be supported. I didn't know this, thank you for the information.

I will try to check your issue after the release of KIS.

Great to hear that, and no need for rushing anything since it turned out to be quite minor :)

One rather important question regarding engineers: will you be checking for engineer, or doing it more flexibly and checking for the appropriate experience effect? I've done the latter with ExConstructionSkill for Extraplanetary Launchpads.

One rather important question regarding engineers: will you be checking for engineer, or doing it more flexibly and checking for the appropriate experience effect? I've done the latter with ExConstructionSkill for Extraplanetary Launchpads.

I'd rather have that only apply to career mode and it can be anybody in sandbox and science mode.

Between EL and MKS my current game is pretty much void of pilots and scientists.......

How do I put the KAS grab ability onto other parts? I'd like to be able to grab the structural parts like goldenpsp did in his little video over on the MKS/OKS thread. Currently, only the cubic octagonal struts can be put into storage (and are grabbable)

There is a link to the KAS wiki in the first page. I'm not sure if cover the module manager plugin.

Okay yeah it's in there. How do I determine what stored size I should use? And how do I edit modded parts because I have vens stock revamp, though it applied the KASgrab module just fine to the octagonal strut. Then again, it's just models I think.

I know nothing about modding KSP here.