[1.1.2] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.5.8

KospY

So soon only engineers will be able to take parts? They're already the only crew you need. Thankfully Ship Manifest will allow me to change everybody to an Engineer.

With KIS, any kerbal can grab or drop parts. However, if you want to attach or detach a part, you will need to use a specific tool restricted to engineers only (screwdriver and wrench).

Each item can be configured like any part by editing the config file (in fact item are part with a dedicated tab in the editor). So if you don't like this restriction, don't worry. It's easy to remove (you only need to delete one line in the .cfg).

Edited by KospY

Wonderfull mod! Saved many early missions on the mun with the fuel transfersystem :)

Now while I am further into the game and have some interplanetary only ships.

I like the idea to be able to retrofit, for example the engines, on some these ships in a space dock.

I have searched the thread, only it's hard to find a concrete answer. Have read such a construction needed dockingports on the engines and adapters to be able to attach said parts. But that post was from mid 2014.

Is this still the same? Or has this been changed so no docking ports are nessesary anymore?

Btw I have read the wiki and added sections KASModulePartyBay to a test adapter and and MM KASModuleGrab for a test engine. But engine is not attachable on EVA. Have I overlooked something?

I could be wrong, but probably that engines are node attach only and KAS only radially attaches.

Well that would explain why it is probably not working I recon.

If it is indeed so, it would be a very nice feature for KAS to have, if it is remotely technically feasible to implement.

PS I got it to, somewhat, work like some others have written in the thread. Engine detach and can be reattached but it is placed halfway inside the adapter.

Edit: got it to work, only the part does not 'snap'/'lock' to the attachment point of the adapter. And the attachment seems somewhat 'loose' and 'wobbly'.

Is this a limitation of KAS and KSP physics??

Edited by Gkirmathal

Exactly :)

In KIS, it will be the same : you cannot grab part attached to another part(s). The only way is to detach them before.

It's a design choice.

But you'll still can dismantle an entire ship anywhere if you want to ;)

For instance you'll can dismantle an unused Mun probe from an old mission, put part in containers (if they fits) bring everything somewhere else (let's say...back to your munar base), and reuse those parts to build a brand new rover there!

It's just like when you were dismantling your Lego constructions and said : "Ok let's do something new with all of those".

engine is not attachable on EVA.

Well in KIS, Kerbal still can't carry a 1.25t engine on their back...

But we made it possible to move it aroud on short distances with multiple kerbals and attach/detach it to/from any other ships.

The base idea is that we really want to encourage players to build trucks, cranes and other vehicles as it would be too easy to only use EVA kerbals for big constructions.

But we made it possible to move it aroud on short distances with multiple kerbals and attach/detach it to/from any other ships.

The base idea is that we really want to encourage players to build trucks, cranes and other vehicles as it would be too easy to only use EVA kerbals for big constructions.

What about those smaller engines which attach on nodes? I'm thinking of the 50 ISP or less ones, except the Nuke engine, though I think that is 60 ISP anyway. Not ingame to check atm the weights of those small engines.

Also, you guys missed this question (I was probably thinking about the KASgrab and KASstore modules, maybe others):

Oh hey, question, will this still be compatible with mods that have KAS capability in them? as in KIS will work without the mod having to update or are the mods going to have to update?
What is KIS? The KAS successor?

I see it not so much as a successor of KAS, but as an evolution of it. It's still KAS at it's core.

hmm... thats gonna make orbital construction tricky its not an easy feat to juggle multiple floating kerbals and even ladders could become frustrating if the sliding bug rears its head

hmm... thats gonna make orbital construction tricky its not an easy feat to juggle multiple floating kerbals and even ladders could become frustrating if the sliding bug rears its head

We have more idea about that but it won't be for the first release ;)

Not what I ment!! ;) Doing that on the ground would indeed be a bit weird.

What I meant was: in orbit, in a zero-g environment.

Could such restraint be implemented for heavy parts, ONLY up to 1.25 sizes?? So all the 'smal' engines.

Edit: perhaps an idea with a heavy penalty in movement and movement latancy due to the higher weights involved.

Edited by Gkirmathal

What about those smaller engines which attach on nodes? I'm thinking of the 50 ISP or less ones, except the Nuke engine, though I think that is 60 ISP anyway. Not ingame to check atm the weights of those small engines.

Well, one kerbal will be enought to move it around, but this part volume will be too high to fit in his inventory. You'll have to use containers and our drag and drop system to help.

Oh hey, question, will this still be compatible with mods that have KAS capability in them? as in KIS will work without the mod having to update or are the mods going to have to update?

For now KIS will work independently from KAS and every KAS dependent mods will still work with KAS.

I see it not so much as a successor of KAS, but as an evolution of it. It's still KAS at it's core.

Actually, KIS will fully focus on inventories and KAS have an outdate inventory system.

We'd like to refocus KAS on attachement winches, cables, pipes (and more!) as KIS inventory system is much (much) better that the old KAS one.

On longer terms We'd like to encourage and help KAS dependents mods to switch to KIS (Kospy worked a lot on KIS code to make it very easy for other modders).

But don't worry, he'll explain more about it. :)

Edited by winn75

In the next release can I make a fun suggestion?

Allow transferring of container contents once they have been shipped up to a space station by the Dragon. RIght now the system wont allow this realistically.

Present System : Launch Dragon with the 80 unit KAS container full of light bulbs, props, ect. Dock Dragon. EVA a Kerbal out and deliver each individually packaged light into the hitchhicker storage located on the other side of station. As you can see who wants to hand deliver 80 items by EVA to another station module? Very very tedious.

New System : Launch Dragon with the cargo. Dock Dragon. Shifft-Right Click KAS container thats inside the trunk, shift-right click the hitchhiker container. Then hit transfer contents. WAM BAM! Delivering cargo has never been more fun!

As you can see this would unlock a fun new world of space station maintenance , mid planetary transfers, base building, and finally colony. I love KAS , but I think its time to add some features :)

Edited by lextacy

I lvoe the suggestion, but shift would indeed make your station go WAM BAM as you throttled up. I would prefer alt - which is what the fuel tank transfers use.

jejeje! :) mee too , but linux forces me to use the right shift key. Linux doesnt know what ALT is :P I also have throttle bind to left shift so there is no conflict

Allow transferring of container contents once they have been shipped up to a space station by the Dragon. RIght now the system wont allow this realistically.

Ummm, unless something has changed since I've done this, you can grab then entire crate and pack it over to the other side of the station. 80 parts, one trip.

Ummm, unless something has changed since I've done this, you can grab then entire crate and pack it over to the other side of the station. 80 parts, one trip.

no, the KAS container is to be used on the Dragon and only that. The transfer is done INSIDE the space station. The idea here is not to litter the station up with bulky containers everytime something needs to be sent up. There need not be an actually EVA. There is various station modules with built in kas containers.

jejeje! :) mee too , but linux forces me to use the right shift key. Linux doesnt know what ALT is :P I also have throttle bind to left shift so there is no conflict

Actually, linux does know what ALT is. You just have to 1) tell your window manager to not grab Alt mouse clicks, and 2) tell KSP to use Alt instead of/as well as right shift (MODIFIER_KEY in settings.cfg).

no, the KAS container is to be used on the Dragon and only that. The transfer is done INSIDE the space station. The idea here is not to litter the station up with bulky containers everytime something needs to be sent up. There need not be an actually EVA. There is various station modules with built in kas containers.

With KIS, you can transfer items between pod from each kerbal inventory without going Eva (one by one for now, transfering all items is planned later). It seem logical as kerbal can move freely between pods, so no problem here.

However, for the containers, the current one is designed like a external box that can be unmounted easly for eva activities. It will not be accessible from the vessel interior, as it seem weird to magically move items between container without going Eva to open them.

Anyway you made a good point. I added a parameter in the inventory module to set if the container is accessible from interior/exterior or exterior only. Also, I will speak to winn75 to see if he can make some kind of inline hitchhiker storage container accessible from inside for a further release

Edited by KospY

Hi,

I have searched through this thread but haven't seemed to find a fix for my issue. I have been using KAS for what seems like forever, but with the update to .90 the KAS inventory gui won't show up in VAB or SPH. I get the button to edit container, but when i press it nothing happens. I can after launch take KAS items and store them/bring them out using a kerbal to EVA and place them in the container. But I have lost the ability to preload items. Im waiting for KIS as many others, but this KAS problem for me is getting on my nerves.

I have tried deleting all KAS mod directories and installing fresh. Anything any of you have run into and fixed?

Hi,

I have searched through this thread but haven't seemed to find a fix for my issue. I have been using KAS for what seems like forever, but with the update to .90 the KAS inventory gui won't show up in VAB or SPH. I get the button to edit container, but when i press it nothing happens. I can after launch take KAS items and store them/bring them out using a kerbal to EVA and place them in the container. But I have lost the ability to preload items. Im waiting for KIS as many others, but this KAS problem for me is getting on my nerves.

I have tried deleting all KAS mod directories and installing fresh. Anything any of you have run into and fixed?

How does your folder of the mod look? Might be you have old and new files mixed up

How does your folder of the mod look? Might be you have old and new files mixed up

Downloaded the mod files again today, deleted every file that also was contained in the zip folder (ofcourse from my GameData folder) and installed the mod files from the zip again. So no old files.