[1.1.2] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.5.8

KospY

That's cool stuff, but does the pound sign act as a comment delimiter (vs. //)?

Doh! It should be "//". I'll edit it.

The best part is I spent like an hour with the MM page up to make sure I got my syntax right, and reloaded multiple times to get it to work, and never caught that. (As taniwha said it apparently just ignores garbage lines)

How do you mean?

Long story here........

Ok im doing my first colonization. This is where I come to depend on KAS to let me do the things I need to do.

1. I have a trailer that acts as a fuel truck

2. I have 2 rovers

3. When I launched the 2 rovers I had KAS winched pre-connected to radial ports so that when the rovers land, the crew can dismount a cargo container. Well that failed as KAS locks the part permanently and the cargo container actually sticks to the sky. I had to Kaboom! them away because the rover got stuck with it.

4. Pulling a trailer was definately pulling teeth here............. If you dock a trailer using the radial ports you can kiss your rover and trailer goodbye as the trailer then sticks permanently to the rover. Now my rover AND trailer are permanent statues on the ground. This is really aggravating as I thought the purpose of the mod was to open up colonization tasks , or id be wasting my time even going to planets. grrrrrr

Long story here........

Ok im doing my first colonization. This is where I come to depend on KAS to let me do the things I need to do.

1. I have a trailer that acts as a fuel truck

2. I have 2 rovers

3. When I launched the 2 rovers I had KAS winched pre-connected to radial ports so that when the rovers land, the crew can dismount a cargo container. Well that failed as KAS locks the part permanently and the cargo container actually sticks to the sky. I had to Kaboom! them away because the rover got stuck with it.

4. Pulling a trailer was definately pulling teeth here............. If you dock a trailer using the radial ports you can kiss your rover and trailer goodbye as the trailer then sticks permanently to the rover. Now my rover AND trailer are permanent statues on the ground. This is really aggravating as I thought the purpose of the mod was to open up colonization tasks , or id be wasting my time even going to planets. grrrrrr

I already did some kind of trailer with KAS and it worked fine for me.

Do you use KSP x64 Windows version ? Can you post a screenshot of your trailer ?

I already did some kind of trailer with KAS and it worked fine for me.

Do you use KSP x64 Windows version ? Can you post a screenshot of your trailer ?

no im using linux x64 . I can do a screenshot later tonight when I get home to play.

The trailer and rover not hooked up

screenshot13.png

The Trailer hooked up

screenshot14.png

The trailer stuck with rover only if used "docked" and did a quickload or persistent reload. NOTE: I had pulled the trailer to 0m cable to lock it. But ejecting and/or release cable did'nt do anything. It stayed stuck to rover.

screenshot15.png

Something I ran into using wench/cable system on 2 craft in orbit.. The plan was to use the cable to pull the two close together and keep them together until I was done with the EVA's I needed to do. But when the cable is connected, both are treated as 1 craft and instead of the craft coming to rest against each other, they begin passing through each other and then wiping each other around by the cable. If at all possible, it would be nice if the craft could still be treated as two craft so they don't phase through each other.

Something I ran into using wench/cable system on 2 craft in orbit.. The plan was to use the cable to pull the two close together and keep them together until I was done with the EVA's I needed to do. But when the cable is connected, both are treated as 1 craft and instead of the craft coming to rest against each other, they begin passing through each other and then wiping each other around by the cable. If at all possible, it would be nice if the craft could still be treated as two craft so they don't phase through each other.

It's been a long time since I did it, but can't you 'connect undocked'?

Though the last time I did it (which is why it's been a long time) this caused the ships to start swinging wildly around each other until they exploded.

How do I get a strut to stay attached to a ground pylon that I've stuck on the ground? I can make it 'same vessel' by connecting it with a pipe, but as soon as I either unplug or grab the pipe, the strut breaks.

smjjames: Just use the pipe as a strut. Struts just simply do not work inter-vessel. One possibility if you want to "strut" multiple vessels is instead to guy-wire them: winches in undocked mode.

BTW, pipes can be connected directly to the ground and act nicely as anchors. Pylons are not so much for attaching to the ground, but rather being able to extend the pipes further (ie, having something that can become a part of the same vessel).

smjjames: Just use the pipe as a strut. Struts just simply do not work inter-vessel. One possibility if you want to "strut" multiple vessels is instead to guy-wire them: winches in undocked mode.

BTW, pipes can be connected directly to the ground and act nicely as anchors. Pylons are not so much for attaching to the ground, but rather being able to extend the pipes further (ie, having something that can become a part of the same vessel).

Ohh. I'll give that a try with the pipes then.

Edit: Nope, the hopping base kraken literally RIPPED them off the ground.

Edited by smjjames

Edit: Nope, the hopping base kraken literally RIPPED them off the ground.

I find I have a lot more luck when all modules of my base are on landing legs or wheels.

But I do frequently wish for a flexi-pipe that would not be a fixed length, and would just be however long it needed to be (up to the max 25 meters).

I find I have a lot more luck when all modules of my base are on landing legs or wheels.

But I do frequently wish for a flexi-pipe that would not be a fixed length, and would just be however long it needed to be (up to the max 25 meters).

Dropping the anchor on all of the modules did the trick. And yeah a truly flexible pipe (or cable for that matter) would definetly be great, but unfortunately, Unity can't (at least not the one Squad is using) simulate that kind of physics.

Is it possible to configure this plugin so that you will always be tethered whenever you do an EVA? If so, how do I do that? (many thanks!)

No , but in the upcoming kis we can make a mod do that ( i think) even if we cant, it doesnt take that much time to teather them

Dunno if this has been brought up before, sorry if it has - one of the variable names is misspelled in the grappling hook config:

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleGrapplingHook // This module will make the part acting like a grappling-hook, any collided part in front of the grapple will be automatically attached if the inpact is strong enough. Only work when attached on a winch.

partBreakForce = 6 // The force that needs to be applied on the grapple/part joint to break.

staticBreakForce = 15 // The force that needs to be applied on the grapple/static joint to break.

aboveDist = 0.05 // Distance from the attach point to the center of the part

forceNeeded = 4 // Collision force needed to attach the grapple

attachToPart = true // Disable/enable attachment on parts

rayDir = (0,-1,0) // Direction of the attach raycast. Attachment will be done only with objects in that direction.

rayLenght = 0.8 // Attach ray lenght

}

Is the variable spelled like that in the code too? Just wondering if it's a typo or not.

I'm having an issue which might be a bad interaction between KAS and RealChutes. I've packed a (non-RealChutes) radial parachute into a KAS container. When I open the container and try to take it out it doesn't appear on the Kerbal's back. Instead, it appears some distance (100 m?) away. I can switch to it using "]" at which point its orbital speed shows up as 0 even though I was in Kerbin orbit when I grabbed it. In the map view its status shows up as "landed". Here's the end of the KSP.log:

There are then something over 200 lines of the last line "Waiting rigidbody to initialize..." until the end of file. It looks like it thinks it is grabbing a RealChutes procedural chute, but the part in the container is a MK2-R.

Thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

Further testing of the parachute problem:

On the launchpad, with a MK2-R chute attached to the outside of a vessel a Kerbal can grab it and it appears on their back as it should and can then be reattached to the vessel. On the same vessel is a KAS container has a parachute in it. Trying to get it results in the parachute appearing hovering in the air 100.0 m away.

The problem seems to only be with parachutes. I've been able to get struts and a radial engine out of the container.

It's been asked before, and I'll ask again - Any answer on this one? I too have problems pulling a Radial Chute out of storage with RealChute installed.

It's been asked before, and I'll ask again - Any answer on this one? I too have problems pulling a Radial Chute out of storage with RealChute installed.

I hacked around with the code a bit but never did get this to work with KAS. However, the new KIS seems to be creating chutes just fine, so going forward once containers have switched over to KIS the problem should go away I assume.

I hacked around with the code a bit but never did get this to work with KAS. However, the new KIS seems to be creating chutes just fine, so going forward once containers have switched over to KIS the problem should go away I assume.

Sorry, but with the release of KIS I will not fix the storage system of KAS as it will be removed later.

So are you saying this is a "Known issue" with KAS storage system? If so, no problem, I'm just trying to nail down the culprit, and at the moment StupidChris is only giving me the less then helpful "I have no say in what KAS does" schtick....

Also, will installing KIS solve this?

I just dabbled with this for a few minutes, but it looks like the tech tree needs some rethinking. You can carry small parts in the command pod which would be right from the start before any tech advance, But you don't get the tools. You don't even get the tools till after you get the large storage units. Makes the storage modules nearly useless until you unlock the tools.

Thought I was in the KIS thread not KAS.

Edited by Vorg

So are you saying this is a "Known issue" with KAS storage system? If so, no problem, I'm just trying to nail down the culprit, and at the moment StupidChris is only giving me the less then helpful "I have no say in what KAS does" schtick....

Also, will installing KIS solve this?

I'm not part of the development of either mod, but my experience is:

Its probably a combination of how KAS creates new items when pulled out of storage and how realchutes initializes the parachute module. Likely neither is doing anything explicitly wrong, they just have a different set of assumptions for how new parts can be created/attached.

Installing KIS will not fix any chutes you may already have in KAS storage. I was able to create a new rocket with radial chute and screwdriver in the pilot's inventory, attach the part in orbit, and use the chute to land successfully. Note that I couldn't find any way to control/tweak the realchute settings, so you get whatever the default sizes are (in my case a bit too small for my rocket unfortunately).