[1.1.2] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.5.8

KospY

Ok, I had a weird thing happen with the winch and a connector port. I had two different ships on the surface of Minmus- (BS1 & BS2). I put a winch on one and a port on the other. Then I connected them in docked mode. I then undocked a third ship (BS3) (connected via winches and ports) from BS1 & BS2. At some point during this process, the connection I made between BS1 & BS2 failed and the winch connector was laying on the ground. The connector got into some weird sort of connected but not connected state. I couldn't retract it, eject it, grab it or anything else. So I figured it might reset when I stuck it in my Kerbal's inventory. It then did this -

hD60qmS.jpg

----EDIT---

The floating connector piece has disappeared after going back to the Space Center and back. However, I have no control over BS1 & BS2 when they are connected together by themselves. BS1 is a lab module and BS2 is a KIS storage container. The right click menu gives me no options. However, when I connect a ship to BS1/BS2, I get control. Could it have something to do with the fact that BS1 & BS2 do not contain any parts that were root when they were launched?

BS1 & BS2 connected only

LYFL20F.jpg

Another ship connected to BS1 & BS2-

ZwqgI1f.jpg

Edited by Druaga
Additional information

im having trouble with this mod atm i cant atach a magnet to ir just the standard stuff and it freezez as iff my whole part is a sub then i cant delete it in sph..any one know of a solution or wht i did wrong...btw all the mods are updated so no it hasn't changed lol

Edited by Mindog101

would it be much to ask to make the tiny radial parts physicsless? just irks me when something so small can slowly make my probes spin... physicsless parts now add their mass to the parent part.

I'm not sure this is possible with a quick config edit but does anyone know how I might get KAS parts (of my choosing) to appear in the "EVA Items" tab in the VAB that KIS adds? I noticed that the pylon from KAS ended up there. All the parts in that category have their config category set to "none" and manufacturer as "KIS" (even the pylon that comes with KAS). I changed the KAS Port to the "none" category and the manufacturer to KIS but it just disappears :rolleyes:

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I'm not sure this is possible with a quick config edit but does anyone know how I might get KAS parts (of my choosing) to appear in the "EVA Items" tab in the VAB that KIS adds? I noticed that the pylon from KAS ended up there. All the parts in that category have their config category set to "none" and manufacturer as "KIS" (even the pylon that comes with KAS). I changed the KAS Port to the "none" category and the manufacturer to KIS but it just disappears :rolleyes:

Any suggestions?

Thanks

https://github.com/KospY/KIS/wiki/ModuleKISItem

editoritemscategory = true does it.

I cant manage to EVA add struts to strengthen my station in orbit. I can only add one end of a strut with this new version with the old version it was easy.

I cant manage to EVA add struts to strengthen my station in orbit. I can only add one end of a strut with this new version with the old version it was easy.

Can you provide a bit more detail as to what you tried to do and couldn't? I've been able to add struts from my ship to an asteroid without problems. I first load up my engineer Kerbal with a bunch of struts and the electric drill. I equip the drill by right clicking on it in the inventory and select Equip. I then EVA near to the first attachment point and drag a strut (left click) from the Kerbal's inventory to where I want to attach it. I then press X when it's at the right place and click to attach it. I then right click on the strut and select Link. I then EVA over to the second attachment point, drag a strut from inventory to where I want to attach it (making sure my link line is still green) and press X to attach it. I then right click on the second strut and select Link.

Also, are you placing struts between different ships (i.e., not docked)? As far as I know, you can't strut between two separate ships/stations/objects.

Maybe if you could post a screenshot of where you're experiencing the problem? Be sure to have your engineer Kerbal's inventory window open so we can see its contents.

Can you provide a bit more detail as to what you tried to do and couldn't? I've been able to add struts from my ship to an asteroid without problems. I first load up my engineer Kerbal with a bunch of struts and the electric drill. I equip the drill by right clicking on it in the inventory and select Equip. I then EVA near to the first attachment point and drag a strut (left click) from the Kerbal's inventory to where I want to attach it. I then press X when it's at the right place and click to attach it. I then right click on the strut and select Link. I then EVA over to the second attachment point, drag a strut from inventory to where I want to attach it (making sure my link line is still green) and press X to attach it. I then right click on the second strut and select Link.

Also, are you placing struts between different ships (i.e., not docked)? As far as I know, you can't strut between two separate ships/stations/objects.

Maybe if you could post a screenshot of where you're experiencing the problem? Be sure to have your engineer Kerbal's inventory window open so we can see its contents.

Thanks for that tutorial I wasn't right click the struts after placing them and doing the link stuff thanks you're a great help I'll have a go.

I'm not able to right click a strut to select link I attached it using X

Edited by LMA

For who doesn't know how to manipulate bigger parts, you'll need more than one engineer (2 or 3, it depends) near the inventory and your controlling engineer. Use their presence in proximity and you'll be able to move and use larger volume parts.

I haven't found this thing in the user manual but I supposed it was possible! So now I've learded how to build interesting things out there...

i need some help with a problem i could not find in this thread so far, i hope some of the experts here can give a hint to the solution:

downloaded a fresh copy of KAS and KIS from curse.com yesterday - I did not use KIS until then, so it should be the latest version -

and found that some the ships and rovers in my main savegame can not be loaded anymore due to some discontinued/missing KAS parts (the old winches and containers) - being told so by some error messages after loading my savegame.

looking for a solution, i found the link to the KAS v0.4 old parts for KAS v0.5 (optional) in 'other downloads' and installed these as well:

my first try was to copy the folder named KAS_v0-2 into GameData,

so at this point i had two KAS folders in my Gamdata directory - KAS_v0 and KAS_v0-2.

starting KSP again, i did not experience the error messages for ships that couldn't be loaded like before, but when jumping to one of the affected rovers the planet it was located on had disappeared along with the crew and it could not be moved at all,

together with the error messages for missing texture and sound files (/Texture/Cable, /Sounds/winchSmallMotor etc.).

sounded like a missing relative link to me (these files do exist, but in the "new" KAS folder), so my next try was to move the old parts folders from the KAS_v0-2 directory in the "parts" subfolder of the current KAS directory and restarted KSP - so success again.

does anybody experience similar problems or can possibly help with a solution?

is it intentional that ships with parts that are no longer included in KAS can not be loaded anymore, or should the old parts automatically be replaced by new ones (i.e. the containers)?

best regards,

mafs

Hi all,

I think I found a bug. Not sure if it's KAS or Community Tech Tree. I'm seeing it with MKS parts too and I reported this there and in the CTT thread..

1) build something using the Closed Powered Hinge and deploy it. (this means researching the tech and buying the part)

2) install community tech tree

results: your ship with the part is still deployed, you can still see the part in the tree and it's purchased. You can load the vessel you built in the SPH/VAB but you can't launch it due to parts missing. Look for the part in the parts list and it's gone.

Load a fresh sand box game and you won't find the part there either.

Bryan

i need some help with a problem i could not find in this thread so far, i hope some of the experts here can give a hint to the solution:

downloaded a fresh copy of KAS and KIS from curse.com yesterday - I did not use KIS until then, so it should be the latest version -

and found that some the ships and rovers in my main savegame can not be loaded anymore due to some discontinued/missing KAS parts (the old winches and containers) - being told so by some error messages after loading my savegame.

looking for a solution, i found the link to the KAS v0.4 old parts for KAS v0.5 (optional) in 'other downloads' and installed these as well:

so at this point i had two KAS folders in my Gamdata directory - KAS_v0 and KAS_v0-2.

starting KSP again, i did not experience the error messages for ships that couldn't be loaded like before, but when jumping to one of the affected rovers the planet it was located on had disappeared along with the crew and it could not be moved at all,

together with the error messages for missing texture and sound files (/Texture/Cable, /Sounds/winchSmallMotor etc.).

sounded like a missing relative link to me (these files do exist, but in the "new" KAS folder), so my next try was to move the old parts folders from the KAS_v0-2 directory in the "parts" subfolder of the current KAS directory and restarted KSP - so success again.

does anybody experience similar problems or can possibly help with a solution?

is it intentional that ships with parts that are no longer included in KAS can not be loaded anymore, or should the old parts automatically be replaced by new ones (i.e. the containers)?

best regards,

mafs

That is pretty standard that any ship that has parts that suddenly no longer exist. Not just KAS but anytime you have a mod that either removes parts or if you remove a mod you had previously used.

This is a botched install. When navigating to the parts folder it shoul look like this:

.../Kerbal Space Program/GameData/KAS/Parts

best regards,

mafs

Any part that is removed from the game WILL break ships. This is why modders warn people that parts are being removed or provide the legacy parts. AFAIK, there is no way to automatically replace parts on existing ships. If a part's name changes the game can not find the referenced part for ships in flight so it deletes them.

That is pretty standard that any ship that has parts that suddenly no longer exist. Not just KAS but anytime you have a mod that either removes parts or if you remove a mod you had previously used.

i thought so and understood the download link link for the old parts as a workaround - i'm no native speaker but the name "KAS v0.4 old parts for KAS v0.5 (optional)" insinuates it from my point of view, afaiu it, kospy built that download to allow the usage of savegames using old parts with the new KAS.

apparently, i am handling the files wrong or some additional config file entries have still to be done, so i'm wondering if any other users had the same problem and possibly a solution for it ?

hints are very welcome, thanks in advance if anybody can tell me if i did the install wrong or misunderstood anything.

in the meantime i am switching back to v0.4.10 that will get the job done until i finish my current Duna mission.

in any case, KAS is a great and essential mod, many thanks for updating it!

best regards,

martin

Request, if I may: a 2x2 container mounting bracket. Maybe even a 2x3 if you're feeling extra fancy.

Containers are no longer part of KAS. That functionality has been moved to KIS. You may want to ask this over in that thread.

I still cant right click and link a strut in KAS. There is no option when I right click it.

This sounds like an install issue. Could you post a pic of your GameData folder and KAS folder?