[1.1.2] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.5.8

KospY

Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a shot. However, are you familiar with the term, "Toxic Community?" It doesn't matter if 19 people ask the same question; you bite their head off once and it discourages them from posting at all, which means no more bug reports, no more good communication of issues, all because you felt the need to reply to a comment in a less than directly helpful manner. I work in hospitality, I get asked the same damn question over and over every night. Just relax a bit, man. If you can't say something nicely don't say it at all, is all I'm saying.

I am familiar with the term. And in my opinion I did attempt to reply in as polite a manner as possible. And I made it as useful as possible by simply pointing out why such things happen, as well as where the information can be found so that he, as well as others might actually look rather than post the same question again. I cannot control the other two who replied, but if you are replying to ME, it would be nice to at least refer to what "I" wrote rather than lump me in with everyone.

Now, for my other issue, and before I get MY head bitten off, yes, I did verify that I am running the latest version of both KIS and KAS. I seem to be unable to radially attach KAS compatible parts (tested with the old KAS strut and with OKS Kerbitrail FlexOTubes) which is preventing me from linking my MKS base components. Any ideas on that?

I actually helped putting some KIS updates into the MKS parts, but I see you posted over there so I will take this part of the discussion to the relevant thread.

How did you try attaching them?

From EVA, I hovered my mouse over the item, pressed G to gobble it up, hovered my mouse over the target object; held item turned green and I clicked, heard a drill sound, the item resolved into its normal colors, then immediately fell to the ground.

From EVA, I hovered my mouse over the item, pressed G to gobble it up, hovered my mouse over the target object; held item turned green and I clicked, heard a drill sound, the item resolved into its normal colors, then immediately fell to the ground.

The drill sound was from it being detached. You need to hold the "X" key to reattach it.

Also, here is the MM config I wrote for the sensors: download

Edited by ExplorerKlatt

The drill sound was from it being detached. You need to hold the "X" key to reattach it.

Also, here is the MM config I wrote for the sensors: download

Didn't you just copy the EVA propellant config over to every science part? :)

I see the refuel button everywhere and positions are not optimized.

Questions already asked 52 times I guess.

1-Can I put/take connector port from a vessel when EVA ? I mean "stuck" them and plug a link.

2-To put a connector port on a pylon, just need a port and that's it ? (tried w engineer, wrench and screw...)

3-Can i put a light on a pylon ?

Mining base set, ports everywhere on my vessels and non in Inventory:/

1 converter, 1 drill, 1 living area and 1 fuel shuttle.

Here it is, it works fine, but want to make a pipe network with pylons to have a large landing area.

Thanks for your help.

PS: didn't find spoiler tag for my pic.

krNtaOX.jpg

Edited by brienne

Hello. Has anyone found a solution how to build a crane delivery system now that there is no more stack connector? I was not able to find a solution yet to attach a payload to a winch anyhow.

Also, only engineers can attach parts to surfaces. Other Kerbals can move stuff around, but it will only drop to the ground, and not attach, even if you hold X (Jeb cares about how to control explosions to propel himself, not how to put a rover together :P). This sounds like you were trying to attach something with a non-engineer.

Hello. Has anyone found a solution how to build a crane delivery system now that there is no more stack connector? I was not able to find a solution yet to attach a payload to a winch anyhow.

I have also been hoping to do something similar but it does not seem to be possible to do it in VAB/SPH I have been able to connect two winches together but that was only when on EVA.

Also, only engineers can attach parts to surfaces. Other Kerbals can move stuff around, but it will only drop to the ground, and not attach, even if you hold X (Jeb cares about how to control explosions to propel himself, not how to put a rover together :P). This sounds like you were trying to attach something with a non-engineer.

It was with an Engineer. First thing I thought of. I actually had to use the same engineer to disassemble the engine and fuel tank of my transfer stage because I errr... forgot to equip a decoupler. Shh, don't tell anyone. Speaking of which, where do spare parts go when you scrap a part? Do they go into a spare part container on the attached vehicle, or just a nearby one? A salvage rover might be kind of useful as I've been saving parts to feed to a recycler from my transit stages, using the last of their fuel + lander's descent engines to land them safely.

I'm writing the user guide and noticed that problem too. As I'm going to explain in it, you need to use the CC-R2 Connector port under a winch to attach your payload on it in the VAB.

But on this version there is a problem with attachment rules (i'll ask kospy to change that for next version).

Until then you can fix this yourself pretty easily by editing in the cPort1 part.cfg

Just change the line :

"attachRules = 1,1,0,0,1" by

"attachRules = 1,1,1,0,1"

Now you can attach another part under a connector port in the VAB and create (sky)cranes ;)

Edited by winn75

...are you familiar with the term, "Toxic Community?" It doesn't matter if 19 people ask the same question; you bite their head off once and it discourages them from posting at all, which means no more bug reports, no more good communication of issues, all because you felt the need to reply to a comment in a less than directly helpful manner. I work in hospitality, I get asked the same damn question over and over every night. Just relax a bit, man. If you can't say something nicely don't say it at all, is all I'm saying.

First, it is the standard of etiquette (by my observation) that in the KSP forums, that you should do the minimum of at least reading a few pages back in the thread to see if your question has already been answered.

Second, I really don't think any of those three replies were "biting their head off," and the original comment that lead to this discussion was merely, "Sigh." That's really mild. The replies were direct, explained the issue, and avoided any personal attacks.

Third, I don't believe that three people said the same thing. goldenpsp gave details, I showed the scope of the issue, and ObsessedWithKSP confirmed.

Fourth, I took the effort of looking back through the thread to count up all the times that question had been asked (and answered) as a gentle attempt to inform Cattasraafe (and others who might be wondering) about why his question might cause a "sigh," in a precise, quantifiable way. If you think about it, you'll recognize I went to more effort to explain the "sigh" to him than he did to induce it.

Fifth, we aren't getting paid to help, we're just other users helping out for the fun of it, and constantly answering the same questions might also dissuade the KNOWLEDGEABLE users from responding to requests for assistance. I'm sure you'll agree that would be a problem, too.

I had some time to test it, and the proposed fix works indeed quick and easy.

This structural element part was attached to the Cport that was attached to a winch in the vab and could be lowered and controlled by the winch controls as usual again:

mzOUXGq.png

If anyone else wants it, I put it in a small MM patch:

//quick kas fix to attach things to winch-connected cport
@PART[KAS_CPort1]
{
@attachRules = 1,1,1,0,1
}

or ready-to-throw-in-gamedata-folder: https://www.dropbox.com/s/opq99skz1nhfpwo/KASTempFix.cfg

Thanks,

Dani

Edited by DaniDE

Speaking of which, where do spare parts go when you scrap a part? Do they go into a spare part container on the attached vehicle, or just a nearby one? A salvage rover might be kind of useful as I've been saving parts to feed to a recycler from my transit stages, using the last of their fuel + lander's descent engines to land them safely.

I think you are thinking of MKS and EL not KAS.

Hi

Ok the following is happeing:

Got a sci lab in orbit. When i timewarp in the TC and get back to the craft it will just explode in 1000 pices.

In the Log i find this:

[WRN 02:57:28.329] [KAS] Warning ! ActiveVessel is landed and heightFromTerrain are negative (-1)

Hey, KospY!

As you may know, Near Future Electric is still in development but beta build is available. There is new HeatControl addon that introduces radiators and heat pipes.

So, my question is: would be possible to make heat pipes with functionality of KAS mountable pipes? If it's possible to make only with MM patch (without hardcoding, making a new model, etc) this will be even more awesome!

GaAHk7y.jpg

I have a question:

Is it normal that KSP freezes on load due to some KAS parts?

So I just installed it properly and now it stops on the first part in the KAS-folder.

Is there a fix?

Do you have KIS v1.1.4 installed?

I have a question:

Is it normal that KSP freezes on load due to some KAS parts?

So I just installed it properly and now it stops on the first part in the KAS-folder.

Is there a fix?

Yes totally normal (sorry being a smart-)

Make sure your KIS is up to date, as noted in the OP.

Is there a way to do unmanned docking of vessels via KAS ? I'm trying to make vehicle-vehicle and vehicle-base resource transfers without resorting to EVA.

Originally, i've found somewhere an idea to orient docking ports horizontally, which for ground vehicles enable much much greater ease of connecting (top-down port docking with horizontal alignement using vehicle controls), but that approach suffered from height issues (different ground clearances for varying vehicles and/or terrain) and had to be addressed in editor prior to launch.

In previous version of KAS for KSP 0.90 there was a stacking part that enabled winches to operate any attached part without "blocked by... part" message, now i can't find it (i have Filter Extensions, maybe it messes up my part catalog).

I did use docking port (a big no-no i know :) ) that got winch stuck on undocking due to game's vessel re-root mess, which can be fixed by scene reload (vessels get properly re-rooted and winches restore their control).

I have tried to attach to winch :

- CC-R2 Connector port as replacement for stacking part. Result : all parts refuse to attach to it, surface or node.

- Magnet, winch operates it ok. Result : i have not found a way do dock vessels and transfer resources, being a magnet i did not expect it to, but i was running out of options.

- Harpoon, winch operates it ok. Result : attaches to ground/vessel but other than mechanical connection no other options exist.

The only things that came close to my goal were:

- Using IR parts with docking ports. An intermediate structural part separates port from IR part to avoid problems. Suffers from same docking glitch and same scene-rerload solution applies.

- Using Expando Tube from MKS. Animates lengthwise to retract/expand. Having a predefined "static" (i don't know how to call it properly) animation docking is not bugging it. It is designed for these tasks. In vertical arrangement however it goes through target docking port, or in case of stock port senior, it can also dock misaligned, which just looks odd.

To summarize : Does KAS even provide unmanned vehicle docking via winches ? Winches have flexibility no other parts can provide so they would be best solution.

For resource transfer use the docking tubes. If you don't want to eva. Docking with IR usually works jus fine for me. The trick I found (for those minecraft junkies out there) treat IR parts like repeaters. Treat them as directional I have an IR test arm with 3 attachments around it. Using RKE docking ports. One is a winch one is a dextre attachment like the one on the ISS. And finally a mining drone with a drill. I can swap between all three without reloading the scene. The trick there is time delay between disconnect and connecting to the end of the arm. Use the mange at a distance to float the attachment to the arm after disconnecting from its previous docking port. You want there to be a 2-3 second delay from disconnect to attachment. And 9 times out of 10 it works. I'll try and make a video this weekend to show what I mean.