[1.1.2] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.5.8

KospY

- Using Expando Tube from MKS. Animates lengthwise to retract/expand. Having a predefined "static" (i don't know how to call it properly) animation docking is not bugging it. It is designed for these tasks. In vertical arrangement however it goes through target docking port, or in case of stock port senior, it can also dock misaligned, which just looks odd.

The MKS Expando-Tubes use the claw code from the stock claw. This is why it clips through some parts. Using it you can "dock" with any part, it doesn't have to be a docking port.

Also, always make sure the expando tube is on the active vessel and let it finish its animation cycle before attempting to dock with it. Otherwise, it could cause some nasty surprises.

Edited by ExplorerKlatt

Anyone know how the "pump here" function on the connector port works? I was hoping to use it so I don't have to transfer resources 1 tank at a time. Also, anyone know a good way to transfer lots of resources between 2 craft?

I'm trying to move a Mk2 Radial Parachute from one ship to another via EVA, but there doesn't seem to be a "grab" option. Are pilot Kerbals now unable to do that?

EDIT: Nevermind, I forgot we need to bring a wrench now. :blush:

Edited by Mitchz95

I'm trying to move a Mk2 Radial Parachute from one ship to another via EVA, but there doesn't seem to be a "grab" option. Are pilot Kerbals now unable to do that?

EDIT: Nevermind, I forgot we need to bring a wrench now. :blush:

Pilots are unable to move things anyway, with or without a tool. You need an engineer to move parts around.

I have it installed but cant seem to find them have they changed shape and size they used to be a rectangular / angled box and they clipped into a bracket

Third picture down

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/25563-0-21-1-KAS-v0-4-3-Struts-pipes-part-storage-containers-merged-winches-more

Get the KAS old parts file. Has the old parts and containers

I have it installed but cant seem to find them have they changed shape and size they used to be a rectangular / angled box and they clipped into a bracket

Third picture down

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/25563-0-21-1-KAS-v0-4-3-Struts-pipes-part-storage-containers-merged-winches-more

K.I.S. replaced them with their own version (as well as in-line stackable ones)

Well, Val's dead then. :(

Not necessarily - you might be able to get an engineer with a spare chute up there to rendezvous (unless it's a long way and you're using TACLS - or if you're using TACLS and KCT and you don't have another ship in storage).

Ok, a bit of a dumb question, but how do you use the winch eject function? I mounted a winch with a harpoon in the front of a simple lander to test it, but in the GUI the winch eject function is greyed out. It's unmanned, does it need an engineer as well?

I'm relatively new to this mod. Just had a couple of quick questions.

I like to build my long-haul cruisers in pieces in orbit. Will this mod let me completely disassemble and reassemble spacecraft on EVA?

I do the same for rovers on mun and planet surfaces. Is this the kind of thing that will let me build rovers out of just the basic parts?

Is there any way to build a rover in the VAB or SPL and store the completed assembly within a container to be driven around later?

I'm relatively new to this mod. Just had a couple of quick questions.

I like to build my long-haul cruisers in pieces in orbit. Will this mod let me completely disassemble and reassemble spacecraft on EVA?

I do the same for rovers on mun and planet surfaces. Is this the kind of thing that will let me build rovers out of just the basic parts?

Is there any way to build a rover in the VAB or SPL and store the completed assembly within a container to be driven around later?

Mostly. KAS is typically restricted to smaller parts, i.e. something a Kerbal could actually handle. there's nothing preventing you from adding your own Kas modules (in fact, i created some scripting to do just that), but typically module makers will only add KAS grabber modules to small parts.

You might look at Rover's Exploration Pack, which contains a rover specifically designed to be build in KAS, as well as light aircraft and a few other field-build-able things.

I'm in need of a little advice please. I've tried searching and reading a lot of this thread but no joy.

I am attempting to add some extra batteries to my station, however its too large to put in the backpack from the container. Am I missing something or do we have anyway of moving larger objects around?

I'm in need of a little advice please. I've tried searching and reading a lot of this thread but no joy.

I am attempting to add some extra batteries to my station, however its too large to put in the backpack from the container. Am I missing something or do we have anyway of moving larger objects around?

What kind of container do you use? You can put the KIS 1000L container in your Kerbals inventory and magic will happen. For parts bigger than 1000L you'll have to drag them across the board.

What kind of container do you use? You can put the KIS 1000L container in your Kerbals inventory and magic will happen. For parts bigger than 1000L you'll have to drag them across the board.

I meant from the large IMC-250 container that I brought up to the station, put a load of smallish bits in it but wasn't able to move some items out of it like the batteries.

Didn't know you could put the smaller containers in the inventory.

Thanks, I'll go bring one of the smaller ones up and give it a go.

If KAS winches do not eject properly (do not eject at all) with Kerbal Joint Reinforcement installed should I post here or in the KJR thread?

Aha! So that's the issue I'm having! I'm also using KJR

KAS introduce new gameplay mechanics by adding winches and eva attachable struts/pipes. It gives some purpose to EVA and can be used for many things

Just wanted to say thanks. This mod really comes into its own when combined with resource mining. It makes it easy to set up a mining base, add a fuel tank farm, and refuel landers that visit the base just by running a pipe out to them. It makes it feel like a real base, not just a ship that landed there.

Was using this to build a rover - just as a trial run. Basically went okay, but I used the ground anchor to have a platform for the chassis and now I can't get the block off the bottom of the rover.

Any advice? How can I avoid this in the future?

eaGCpfb.jpg

If KAS winches do not eject properly (do not eject at all) with Kerbal Joint Reinforcement installed should I post here or in the KJR thread?

Here's what ferram4 said in his thread:

@cicatrix: Nothing I can do; KIS / KAS needs to either fire GameEvents.onPartUndock(Part p) or GameEvents.onVesselWasModified(Vessel v) for the vehicle in question if it's going to change the configuration. This is what stock does when it undocks / modifies / creates a vessel during undocking, and KAS / KIS must follow that unless their goal is to cause a lot of other issues in the game along the way.

Soo, are winches uncompatible with KJR?

Hey!

So, i want to tow an asteroid with a winch...

it seems the grappling hooks aren't strong enough.

if i wanted to cheat and make a Super-Grappling-Hook, which config values should i change?

Does the part break/explode? : My guess is to raise the value partBreakForce, staticBreakForce, breakingForce or breakingTorque

Was using this to build a rover - just as a trial run. Basically went okay, but I used the ground anchor to have a platform for the chassis and now I can't get the block off the bottom of the rover.

Any advice? How can I avoid this in the future?

http://i.imgur.com/eaGCpfb.jpg

Yeah nobody has invented a mechanism of rerooting parts in flight yet. But for some reason old KAS could grab root parts.