[1.1.2] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.5.8

KospY

Yeah nobody has invented a mechanism of rerooting parts in flight yet. But for some reason old KAS could grab root parts.

Could I have used something else as a root part? Was there a way around it in the first place?

- - - Updated - - -

what about putting a decoupler/separator between the ground attachment thing and the rover - then just decoupling?

Didn't think of that. I'll give it a shot tonight and see if I can make it work. Thanks for the idea!

Tell me if I'm the only one with this problem, but the game won't load past "KAS/Parts/cPort1/part/KAS_CPort1".

Only one left who hasn't followed instructions (its in the OP). need the latest version of KIS.

I have a problem with a winch-to-port on ground pylon connection that is not properly restored on load/quickload, but worked fine before that.

The setup: Two KIS-groundbases attached to the top of a mun arch, with a KAS-port stack-mounted to it. At the bottom of the mun-arch, a vessel with two winches, their cables plugged into the ports. Worked fine on first try, but after a reload, the winches are in a bugged-out state. On load, there is a screen-message ("port already used"), the winches state "cable length 0m", but can't be retracted (and the endpoints float high in the air, though not at the exact port positions).

Cable length of the winches has been cfg-edited to 150m.

nkOERiw.png

2rZD7W6.png

Bugged winch state

kzkirQ2.png

Some messages from the KSP.log

LOG 21:04:55.807] [KAS] OnLoad(Winch) Loading winch head info from save...

LOG 21:04:55.807] [KAS] OnLoad(Winch) Loading winch head info from save...

LOG 21:04:55.808] [KAS] OnLoad(Winch) Loading plug info from save...

LOG 21:04:55.825] [KAS] OnLoad(Winch) Loading winch head info from save...

LOG 21:04:55.825] [KAS] OnLoad(Winch) Loading winch head info from save...

LOG 21:04:55.825] [KAS] OnLoad(Winch) Loading plug info from save...

WRN 21:04:55.939] [KAS] OnStart(Winch) No connected part found !

WRN 21:04:55.940] [KAS] OnStart(Winch) HeadState : Locked

WRN 21:04:55.940] [KAS] OnStart(Winch) No connected part found !

WRN 21:04:55.941] [KAS] OnStart(Winch) HeadState : Locked

WRN 21:04:55.943] [KAS] OnStart(Winch) No connected part found !

WRN 21:04:55.943] [KAS] OnStart(Winch) HeadState : Locked

WRN 21:04:55.944] [KAS] OnStart(Winch) No connected part found !

WRN 21:04:55.944] [KAS] OnStart(Winch) HeadState : Locked

WRN 21:04:55.949] [KAS] OnStart(Winch) No connected part found !

WRN 21:04:55.950] [KAS] OnStart(Winch) HeadState : Locked

WRN 21:04:55.951] [KAS] OnStart(Winch) No connected part found !

WRN 21:04:55.952] [KAS] OnStart(Winch) HeadState : Locked

WRN 21:04:55.953] [KAS] OnStart(Winch) No connected part found !

WRN 21:04:55.954] [KAS] OnStart(Winch) HeadState : PlugUndocked

WRN 21:04:55.955] [KAS] OnStart(Winch) No connected part found !

WRN 21:04:55.956] [KAS] OnStart(Winch) HeadState : PlugUndocked

LOG 21:04:56.009] [KAS] OnStart(Winch) Retrieve part with ID : 3889485196 | From vessel ID : b67017e1-1853-4963-a9de-1f1a6cf14ab8

LOG 21:04:56.010] [KAS] OnStart(Winch) Retrieve part with ID : 3848084342 | From vessel ID : 298e0c46-3978-43e9-9532-df86335a1718

Tell me if I'm the only one with this problem, but the game won't load past "KAS/Parts/cPort1/part/KAS_CPort1".

You are not the only one who has had that problem. If there was a prize for being #20, you would win it.

Seriously, though, is it working for you now?

Does the part break/explode? : My guess is to raise the value partBreakForce, staticBreakForce, breakingForce or breakingTorque

nothing breaks, the hooks just pull loose. i tried raising part&static BreakForce to 999. it didn't help. there's also breakForce under KASModulePort. do you know what that does?

also, it was a class d. it might actually work if i went after something reasonable.

what about putting a decoupler/separator between the ground attachment thing and the rover - then just decoupling?

That worked. Thanks for the idea. My rover was still high-centered, so I had to push it off the block, but once I got the wheels on the ground, it was just how I wanted it. Thanks!!!

That worked. Thanks for the idea. My rover was still high-centered, so I had to push it off the block, but once I got the wheels on the ground, it was just how I wanted it. Thanks!!!

awesome, glad it worked!

So I'm having trouble loading vessels that have parts stored in them, here's a log

[EXC 05:30:10.441] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
EditorLogic.recurseShipList (.Part part, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 shipList)
EditorLogic.getSortedShipList ()
EditorLogic.get_SortedShipList ()
FerramAerospaceResearch.FARGUI.FAREditorGUI.EditorGUI.ResetEditorEvent (.ShipConstruct construct)
EventData`1[ShipConstruct].Fire (.ShipConstruct data)
KIS.ModuleKISInventory.RefreshMassAndVolume ()
KIS.ModuleKISInventory.OnStart (StartState state)
Part.ModulesOnStart ()
Part+.MoveNext ()
[EXC 05:30:10.458] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
FerramAerospaceResearch.FARPartGeometry.GeometryPartModule.RebuildAllMeshData ()
FerramAerospaceResearch.FARPartGeometry.GeometryPartModule.FixedUpdate ()

And then it spams that same NRE with FAR for ages.

Hey I had an idea and wanted to throw it out in the shark pond to see if someone smarter than me can figure this out. The idea is build a docking port that will magnetize toward a sister port but not actually dock. Instead use KAS to grab the port. This way you can grab cargo already attached to another docking port without letting the kraken out of the box. Disconnect the cargo from its previous port and then manually engage the KAS magnetic docking port, into a regular docking port. Gaining control of your cargo and no scene reloading.

Here is a video I put together using RKE Kanadarm parts showing you can use "docking ports" at the end of an IR arm without any issues. But you need to make sure you have about 2-3 seconds of float time between disengage to reengage

Its all about the speed you change docking ports, also a misconception of IR and docking ports is flow of power I guess is the best way to put it. If you treat all the IR parts on an arm like one way repeaters from Minecraft everything is happy but when you inchworm an arm or by way of docking port revers this flow. you could be controlling a Rotatron or a pivitron upside down. Which is why Zodiousinfuser in IR rework put the identifying marks of top and bottom on all his parts. For instance, purposely install an IR part upside down and then try to use it. It will not work. And when you inchworm an Arm from one docking port to the next you are flipping the direction of power. And Usually bad things happen unless you reload the sceane (not always just usually) I also noticed active struts in your exception detector screen. I had some funny things happen with quantum struts as well as the robostruts zodious is currently working on. So I'm not sure what happened to you there.

ok, here are two super simple setups to reproduce my problem. Both versions cause the "port already used" message to appear on reload, and cause the winches to go into a bugged state. Problem only appears after plugging the second winch, one winch handles perfectly.

4uRizYo.png

yZFFgJo.png

Both ports are plugged in "undocked" mode. The setup is working as long as there is no loading of the persistence file involved (quickload/jump to flight scene from distant ship or Tracking station etc)

Any ideas?

ok, here are two super simple setups to reproduce my problem. Both versions cause the "port already used" message to appear on reload, and cause the winches to go into a bugged state. Problem only appears after plugging the second winch, one winch handles perfectly.

http://i.imgur.com/4uRizYo.png

http://i.imgur.com/yZFFgJo.png

Both ports are plugged in "undocked" mode. The setup is working as long as there is no loading of the persistence file involved (quickload/jump to flight scene from distant ship or Tracking station etc)

Any ideas?

This is my ignorance talking, but a similarity between the simple models and your last post is the winches are stacked. Does this persist when you ad a spacer between them? I wonder if it's a proximity thing like docking ports.

This is my ignorance talking, but a similarity between the simple models and your last post is the winches are stacked. Does this persist when you ad a spacer between them? I wonder if it's a proximity thing like docking ports.

Also happens with lots of space and parts between the winches.

#playtime post#

I was just chatting with Kospy about futur plans for KAS/KIS and fun things that could be done with winches and we talked about this idea :

aSauNQU.jpg

Cable-car!

It works fine, using two winches, plugged attachement, one winch in "inverted control" mode and using 5 and 2 Keys of the NumPad.

If someone tries to make a big one near a cliff with edited maxLenght in .cfg we'd love to see the screenshots :P

Edited by winn75

Hey all, I'm not sure this is the right place to post this but I was directed here from /r/KerbalSpaceProgram.

I spend yesterday familiarizing myself with KAS/KIS in order to build my Mun Base. This is because I decided it wasn't worth figuring out wheels, so I built the multi-module base without wheels. Interesting photos here: http://imgur.com/a/cHNKg

Anyway, I think I've figured everything out. Except how to winch. I've seen online that "p" should give a Winch GUI; I don't see it. Apparently 5 and 2 on the NumPad run the winch; I don't get that behavior. I am able to winch when connected to my Kerbal in EVA, but that's it.

Am I missing something? Have the bindings changed? (Judging from the post two above my own, I think not).

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: I figured out how to do this. For others who may find this and struggle for a day figuring it out as I did, You must select the spaceship that the winch is attached to. Make sure that the winch is attached to something where it will be winching straight, (i.e., perpendicular to the wound cable), as opposed to at an angle. While the spaceship is selected, select the winch. You can now use 'p' to bring up the GUI, or 5 and 2 on your NumPad to extend and retract the winch.

Edited by reidksmith

The winches have some serious problems docking whatever's on the other end of the winch cable back in when you retract them in low or microgravity. Anybody know how to make it dock back in on the first try?

smjjames: spend some time with Michelangelo of the shell.

I get the TMNT reference, but I don't get what you're trying to tell me.

Also, harpoons and asteroids don't mix well, either that or I made the winch cable get too tight.

Edit: Okay, harpoons and grapplers (IR model rework part that uses the same function) cause the kraken to attack and things go all phantom forcy. I do have KJR though.

Edited by smjjames

I'm using KAS to try to refuel a lander that got stranded on the Mun.

But when I try to attach the valve to a pylon, they just slide off, and become useless.

What am I missing here?

9YjCTsL.jpg