[1.1.2] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.5.8

KospY

I'm using KAS to try to refuel a lander that got stranded on the Mun.

But when I try to attach the valve to a pylon, they just slide off, and become useless.

What am I missing here?

http://i.imgur.com/9YjCTsL.jpg

This is a very common problem. The new KIS system is a little more realistic than the old KAS system. You need an engineer first off. Secondly you need to have either an electric screwdriver or a wrench from the IVA list of parts equipped by that engineer. So you put the screwdriver or wrench in your kerbals inventory seat 1 in a single occupant pod, or just place it in a container and retrieve it later. Only with a tool in hand with an engineer can you attach anything. There is more info within the game by using the KIS manual under the IVA parts list in the VAB SPH.

Hey, Is there a way to have an assembled structure attached to the end of the winch and still be able to extend and retract it? I am trying to build an aerial refueling cable / scoop. I have the scoop made out of an inverted procedural interstage fairing. And a custom docking port I'm working on that's super small and really overpowered as far as the magnet and torque go. So hook up and delivery is almost there but when I attach all that to the end of the cable I get a "cable is blocked" message. Any ideas?

Edit: I found a way. Tweak the cport1 cfg file to allow stacking (attachRules = 1,1,1,1,1) And use that in between the winch and a structure.

Edited by V8jester

Well that's what I get for flying a two kerbal pod to the Mun with a scientist and a pilot, and then flying a fuel drone and landing right next to them. Moar launches I guess.

Thanks for the info.

(this concept of only an engineer doing things is ridiculous FYI; might attack my install with an editor)

Well that's what I get for flying a two kerbal pod to the Mun with a scientist and a pilot, and then flying a fuel drone and landing right next to them. Moar launches I guess.

Thanks for the info.

(this concept of only an engineer doing things is ridiculous FYI; might attack my install with an editor)

Why is it ridiculous? Most pilots don't have the knowledge to repair a plane much less assemble anything on site.

Why is it ridiculous? Most pilots don't have the knowledge to repair a plane much less assemble anything on site.

? they do it all the time.. they are training for almost anything. We are not talking about repair a full ship.

Just refuelling.

I am glad the mod tries get close to reality (also the mod is great), but be sure that if the reality that you are looking for is in fact reality.

? they do it all the time.. they are training for almost anything. We are not talking about repair a full ship.

Just refuelling.

I am glad the mod tries get close to reality (also the mod is great), but be sure that if the reality that you are looking for is in fact reality.

Most pilots don't refuel their own planes either. And that I do know is reality. Also, what you are talking about doing is closer to building a refueling site.

Most pilots don't refuel their own planes either. And that I do know is reality. Also, what you are talking about doing is closer to building a refueling site.

Becouse is not their job does not mean they cant do it.. My job is not plumber, carpenter or work in a gasoline station, but I can do all and many more.

Again, we are talking about refuelling... not building a whole craft or dealing with something really hard.

But well, I understand that separate certain actions (scientist, pilots and enginner fit) from the develope point of view can be difficult..

So I am just pointing that your argument to defend this is not accurate. But from the coding or gameplay perspective maybe can be ignored.

Refueling a plane is more complex than a car (mostly), and that is my point. The majority of pilots barely even know where the fuel goes in. I know this because refueling aircraft has been my job for about 10 years along with fixing said aircraft.

(Note: The above is mostly hyperbole.)

What you said is true, it isn't a pilots job to refuel his aircraft or ship. The reason for this is there are safety concerns and procedures that must be followed. I have been doing this a long time and I still have to look them up on occasion.

To better express my statement, it is in no way ridiculous to require an engineer to build a transfer pump out of spare parts ( no pre-existing facilities).

Now if pilots can not even link the two end points together then that is a bit on the absurd side.

Edited by ExplorerKlatt

It seems that might take me like 1 year to learn that.

Jokes aside.. I know that an spacecraft or maybe different planes may not be so easy, but if you are a pilot, you know this stuff because you see how is done all the time.

but saying that.. I am agree from the develope and gameplay point of view. The fact that you need an enginner to do KAS actions seems ok.

The big problem with restricting things to engineers isn't if it's realistic or not, it's that in this game there are 2 (not 3) classes of Kerbals: Engineer supermen who can - all alone - do everything in the game (albeit with some minor and totally mitigatable problems) and schlubs who give tiny little bonuses that are either not necessary or can be easily replicated by a couple-hundred-dollar probe core.

The big problem with restricting things to engineers isn't if it's realistic or not, it's that in this game there are 2 (not 3) classes of Kerbals: Engineer supermen who can - all alone - do everything in the game (albeit with some minor and totally mitigatable problems) and schlubs who give tiny little bonuses that are either not necessary or can be easily replicated by a couple-hundred-dollar probe core.

Maybe Bill paid off the Squad devs.

But yes, it goes this way to match how the stock game plays. Personally, I would prefer it if Pilot, Engineer and Scientist were skills that any Kerbal could learn, but that Kerbals would have varying ability to learn each of them. Then, I'd be hunting for that one Kerbal who is good at all three, instead of just Courage and Stupidity.

Gryphon: and that is why I insist checking the experience trait (pilot, engineer, scientist) instead of the effect is wrong. The trait is equivalent to class, the effect to skill, but even stock does class-only checks :(. This makes it impossible to create a more detailed system.

Only one left who hasn't followed instructions (its in the OP). need the latest version of KIS.

Nope, theres another one, me! Though in my defense the last time I updated KSP and added in KAS KIS wasn't required.

That being said, it begs the question. If KAS cannot run without KIS, and if KAS and KIS are both authored by the same people, why not package them together?

Just something that snagged my curiosity while I toil away on my own mod that I just realized has been more or less made obsolete by 1.0.2

Is the fact that 90% of my items explode when detached from my Mun Base and "dropped" on the ground a known issue?

known KSP issue. Dropped stuff exploded all the time under every version of KSP I've played via KAS as well.

Gryphon: and that is why I insist checking the experience trait (pilot, engineer, scientist) instead of the effect is wrong. The trait is equivalent to class, the effect to skill, but even stock does class-only checks :(. This makes it impossible to create a more detailed system.

:( Not impossible, but yeah, that makes it much more difficult.

Today I tried to use KAS struts to improve the stability of two vessels docked via junior port.

After creating the first link the vessel experienced massive phantom forces, going from a stable 120km orbit to a suborbital trajectory in less than a minute (without any running engines of course).

It accelerated so fast away from my Kerbal I couldn't even catch it again. :(

I haven't used KAS struts in a while, so I might have made a common mistake: the strut endpoints were attached to physicless cubic struts - is that a known issue? I believe to remember it worked with the old KAS?

The physics less part thing got me too. I used quantum struts on an RKE Kandarm tube an it too experienced some strange symptoms. I think there is something to the struts you can apply in flight and physics less parts.

Hi guys, I love this mod and thanks for all the work you've put into it.

I have one problem though and for both Jeb and Bill, currently orbiting Duna and scratching their heads; for some reason the harpoon just isn't playing ball.

At first, I "ejected" the harpoon from a winch situated on the nose of a rescue vessel and successfully harpooned and attached a stricken vessel that was firmly secured. However after time-warping to anything other than 1x, the attached vessel began to drift away. Coming back out of warp would snap the attached vessel and harpoon back to the rescue ship so fast that at times, it would cause a violent, explosive collision.

Since reloading prior to the explosion and when I was just about to fire the harpoon again, I've found that firing the harpoon this time is not embedding into the target vessel. Instead it just bounces off! I don't know what's going on here but this has worked for me on two other occasions and suddenly, the harpoon just dings right off the targets surface and flails about madly while I try to retract the cable. Often then it won't align and can't dock with the winch again..

Ramming the vessel with the harpoon isn't working either; it just bounces off..

Using the latest versions of everything at the time of writing. 32-bit executable on 64-bit Win7.

Any ideas?

I'm close to sending out a rescue mission for the rescue mission, so I can attach a newly researched magnetic clamp; hoping that will work instead :(

Edited by JuxtaThePozer

I've noticed that when I try to add a fueltank and engine to a space ship, they nicely snap to the node. Is there a way to do this with a docking port as well?

I generally do my recovery missions by adding a dockingport to the wreck in question and docking the recovery vessel to it. Node snap would be great for this.

Hi everyone !

Awesome mod ! I used to paly with it a long time ago and managed some cool stuff with winches and stuff.

However, in its current version, I might have missed something but the Winch Port M (which stand for Male I guess) is missing from the downloadable archive on CurseForge. I've lookd everywhere and it's nowhere to be found in the .zip.

There are parts called KAS_portf_cs and KAS_portf_n but no Winch Male Port. I guess the f in portf stands for female which is the Connector Port F on this image (http://i.imgur.com/WzGFK0I.png).

In the .zip there is the female port, the anchor, the grappling hook, the harpoon, the magnet, the pylon, the strut and the vertical and horizontal winches.

I am the only one with this problem (Male Port Connector missing) ?

Thanks in adavance and keep up the good work :)

KAS 0.5.2 released !

Changelog:

• [Enhancement] Converted parts textures to DDS
  • [Enhancement] AVC is now used for version check
  • [Enhancement] Added a KIS version dependancy check
  • [Fix] Added stacking to connector port
  • [Fix] Fixed a compatibility issue with Kerbal Joint Reinforcement
  • [Fix] Updated OnKISAction to use BaseEventData (prevent KAS crash if KIS is missing)

- - - Updated - - -

Male port connector is integrated in the winch. There is no dedicated part for it :)

Thanks a bunch! I could have searched for it for a long time :D

You might want to update that info onto the image and/or the description somewhere :)

Thanks again!