KospY

KAS 0.5.2 released !

Changelog:

• [Enhancement] Converted parts textures to DDS
  • [Enhancement] AVC is now used for version check
  • [Enhancement] Added a KIS version dependancy check
  • [Fix] Added stacking to connector port
  • [Fix] Fixed a compatibility issue with Kerbal Joint Reinforcement
  • [Fix] Updated OnKISAction to use BaseEventData (prevent KAS crash if KIS is missing)

- - - Updated - - -

Hi everyone !

Awesome mod ! I used to paly with it a long time ago and managed some cool stuff with winches and stuff.

However, in its current version, I might have missed something but the Winch Port M (which stand for Male I guess) is missing from the downloadable archive on CurseForge. I've lookd everywhere and it's nowhere to be found in the .zip.

There are parts called KAS_portf_cs and KAS_portf_n but no Winch Male Port. I guess the f in portf stands for female which is the Connector Port F on this image (http://i.imgur.com/WzGFK0I.png).

In the .zip there is the female port, the anchor, the grappling hook, the harpoon, the magnet, the pylon, the strut and the vertical and horizontal winches.

I am the only one with this problem (Male Port Connector missing) ?

Thanks in adavance and keep up the good work :)

Male port connector is integrated in the winch. There is no dedicated part for it :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hi guys, I love this mod and thanks for all the work you've put into it.

I have one problem though and for both Jeb and Bill, currently orbiting Duna and scratching their heads; for some reason the harpoon just isn't playing ball.

At first, I "ejected" the harpoon from a winch situated on the nose of a rescue vessel and successfully harpooned and attached a stricken vessel that was firmly secured. However after time-warping to anything other than 1x, the attached vessel began to drift away. Coming back out of warp would snap the attached vessel and harpoon back to the rescue ship so fast that at times, it would cause a violent, explosive collision.

Since reloading prior to the explosion and when I was just about to fire the harpoon again, I've found that firing the harpoon this time is not embedding into the target vessel. Instead it just bounces off! I don't know what's going on here but this has worked for me on two other occasions and suddenly, the harpoon just dings right off the targets surface and flails about madly while I try to retract the cable. Often then it won't align and can't dock with the winch again..

Ramming the vessel with the harpoon isn't working either; it just bounces off..

Using the latest versions of everything at the time of writing. 32-bit executable on 64-bit Win7.

Any ideas?

I'm close to sending out a rescue mission for the rescue mission, so I can attach a newly researched magnetic clamp; hoping that will work instead :(

If you want to attach vessel in space more permanently, I recommend to use a connector port instead, because you will be able to "dock" them (vessel will be merged in one).

Magnet or harpoon is best to be used in space without any timewarp or save.

Don't know about the harpoon bounce issue... Can you provide a log ? What is the step to reproduce it ?

- - - Updated - - -

Today I tried to use KAS struts to improve the stability of two vessels docked via junior port.

After creating the first link the vessel experienced massive phantom forces, going from a stable 120km orbit to a suborbital trajectory in less than a minute (without any running engines of course).

It accelerated so fast away from my Kerbal I couldn't even catch it again. :(

I haven't used KAS struts in a while, so I might have made a common mistake: the strut endpoints were attached to physicless cubic struts - is that a known issue? I believe to remember it worked with the old KAS?

Thanks for the report, I will check this.

Edited by KospY

Were there gameplay changes to KAS since the last time I used it? I just installed the latest 1.02 version and I wanted to connect two craft with pipe endpoints. I launched both end points on one craft and was going to carry one on EVA to the other, then link them. However, the option to grab isn't there, only plug, unplug, link, etc. I also tried to pick up some Z100 batteries from the cargo bay but the only option was "scrap", but I remember these parts used to be grab-able. Can we no longer grab parts on EVA like before? Do pipe endpoints have to be added in the VAB and can only be linked by Kerbals now? Or is it a Kerbal experience thing? Though that shouldn't be an issue because this was a sandbox game.

Any help?

Were there gameplay changes to KAS since the last time I used it? I just installed the latest 1.02 version and I wanted to connect two craft with pipe endpoints. I launched both end points on one craft and was going to carry one on EVA to the other, then link them. However, the option to grab isn't there, only plug, unplug, link, etc. I also tried to pick up some Z100 batteries from the cargo bay but the only option was "scrap", but I remember these parts used to be grab-able. Can we no longer grab parts on EVA like before? Do pipe endpoints have to be added in the VAB and can only be linked by Kerbals now? Or is it a Kerbal experience thing? Though that shouldn't be an issue because this was a sandbox game.

Any help?

Moving parts on EVA now requires KIS.

KAS 0.5.2 released !

Changelog:

• [Enhancement] Converted parts textures to DDS
  • [Enhancement] AVC is now used for version check
  • [Enhancement] Added a KIS version dependancy check
  • [Fix] Added stacking to connector port
  • [Fix] Fixed a compatibility issue with Kerbal Joint Reinforcement
  • [Fix] Updated OnKISAction to use BaseEventData (prevent KAS crash if KIS is missing)

I've not got chance to check at the moment. Does the grappling hook module have a right-click option to unhook it now, in addition to the action group that it previously had? I remember PMing you about it a few weeks back. This may have also been an issue with the magnet module too, but I cannot remember.

Any help?

Was the Kerbal an Engineer? Did it have a tool equipped in it's hand?

Was the Kerbal an Engineer? Did it have a tool equipped in it's hand?

Also since you are still looking for a "grab" I would read the KIS tutorial as it is different from how KAS used to work.

It doesnt work for me :(

I have KIS 1.1.5 and KAS 0.5.2 but it always says "KAS is not compatible with this version of KIS, please update KAS to the newest version"

Please help

I seem to have problems with Active texture management.

The loading of the game always stucks at parts KAScPort1. I tried to edit the KAS config file in the ATm folder to enabled = false but this didnt change anything.

if i wanted to make my own kas part how would i do that, primarily how could i make the roap extend with my part attached and how can i remodel the winch, is there a unity file anywhere of the winch that could be remodeled and what do need to put into the config to allow trhe winch to extend

awesome mod! I'm doing the Elcano Challenge at the moment and this and KIS have saved on multiple occasions with repairs.

I have encountered a problem though, I am building a crane to lift my craft up the ice cap and it seems the Ground Bases and Ground Pylons don't actually attach to the ground, is this supposed to be the case? They make the noise of something being attached, but if I run at them with a kerbal they still flip and move just like any other part on the floor that isn't attached, And if I put a little bit of weight on the winch the whole thing just kinda falls over...

I seem to have problems with Active texture management.

The loading of the game always stucks at parts KAScPort1. I tried to edit the KAS config file in the ATm folder to enabled = false but this didnt change anything.

This error usually has to do with having KIS installed.

This error usually has to do with having KIS installed.

Just chiming in to say that I'm getting the same error with version 1.1.5.

It's possible that I need to re-install because of an error in a file, but it's not only because of having the wrong version.

Edit: And yes, manually removing it and placing a new copy from the KIS OP still results in the error.

Edit 2: Manually downloading a new copy of KAS from the OP worked. Grabbing new copies from CKAN resulted in the same problem.

So the solution is to replace KAS/KIS with new copies, possibly first from CKAN and then the relevant OP. Always good advice if your game randomly refuses to load on a specific mod, or because of a dependency.

Edited by Morberis

I'm trying out the new KAS/KIS for the first time.

In 0.90, I was able to disconnect an antenna from a ship and carry it on my back to another ship where I was able to mount it. However, I can't seem to be able to do that with the new release. I am able to use the electric screwdriver to disconnect the antenna (it's the 1 ton dish, Reflectron KR-14), but it just drifts away.

I've tried attaching it to the back of the kerbal, and while it snaps to the kerbel, when I try to attach it, it just drifts away.

I then tried attaching a winch cable to it. I was able to grab the winch, but can't seem to figure out how to attach it.

What am I doing wrong?

and yes, I was using an Engineer to do this (Bill, I think)

Thanks in advance

I'm trying out the new KAS/KIS for the first time.

In 0.90, I was able to disconnect an antenna from a ship and carry it on my back to another ship where I was able to mount it. However, I can't seem to be able to do that with the new release. I am able to use the electric screwdriver to disconnect the antenna (it's the 1 ton dish, Reflectron KR-14), but it just drifts away.

I've tried attaching it to the back of the kerbal, and while it snaps to the kerbel, when I try to attach it, it just drifts away.

I then tried attaching a winch cable to it. I was able to grab the winch, but can't seem to figure out how to attach it.

What am I doing wrong?

and yes, I was using an Engineer to do this (Bill, I think)

Thanks in advance

This is all in the user guide for KIS.

First, right click the kerbal and open the inventory screen.

To detach parts, press and hold "G", then click and hold on the part to be detached. Drag the part to the inventory screen and release the mouse button.

To attach parts, click and hold on the part in the inventory. Drag the part out of the inventory screen and release. Position the part on the vessel then press and hold "X" and click to attach.

Note: The part may not fit in the kerbal's inventory. In that case you will need a container.

For the winches, the basic winch head needs a connector port installed. The other option is to have a magnet or grappling hook installed.

Edited by ExplorerKlatt

This is all in the user guide for KIS.

First, right click the kerbal and open the inventory screen.

To detach parts, press and hold "G", then click and hold on the part to be detached. Drag the part to the inventory screen and release the mouse button.

To attach parts, click and hold on the part in the inventory. Drag the part out of the inventory screen and release. Position the part on the vessel then press and hold "X" and click to attach.

Note: The part may not fit in the kerbal's inventory. In that case you will need a container.

For the winches, the basic winch head needs a connector port installed. The other option is to have a magnet or grappling hook installed.

I have to say, the process is not terribly intuitive. It took me quite a bit of practice to figure out how to do it, and that's even though I was reading the instructions. (The instructions aren't always as clear as they could be when it comes to doing the one thing that most people get this mod to do -- attach parts to their ship.)

I agree. Kis/Kas are some of the best mod for KSP at the moment, but sometimes, due to the tricky way the work, is difficult to understand if you fail doing something for your fault or for a bug. Surely there must be a best way.

While we are at the topic: is there a way to grab parts, like it was before with KAS, so you can move larger parts that won't fit in your inventory?

Think you just need more kerbals in range to "help" with the part. But to move it very far you need a wench

While we are at the topic: is there a way to grab parts, like it was before with KAS, so you can move larger parts that won't fit in your inventory?

I suppose you could use a winch to drag it.