[1.1.2] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.5.8

KospY

Ok this mod may have its quirks and drive me nuts sometimes, but really it allows you to do the coolest stuff, just pulled my "rover" that i'm using for the elcano challenge up out of the water and onto the southern Ice Caps using a crane and a winch and managing it was the most satisfying thing ever:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

seriously thank you for putting so much time and effort into this mod, it's a great deed you have done, and it's saved me taking a 1000km detour!

This is all in the user guide for KIS.

First, right click the kerbal and open the inventory screen.

To detach parts, press and hold "G", then click and hold on the part to be detached. Drag the part to the inventory screen and release the mouse button.

To attach parts, click and hold on the part in the inventory. Drag the part out of the inventory screen and release. Position the part on the vessel then press and hold "X" and click to attach.

Note: The part may not fit in the kerbal's inventory. In that case you will need a container.

For the winches, the basic winch head needs a connector port installed. The other option is to have a magnet or grappling hook installed.

Thank you.

I did read the guide, but some of it wasn't obvious.

Actually, I just looked again, the winch is not in the KIS manual at all.

And please tell me where the manual for KAS is?

I think the part is just too big to fit.

So correct me if I'm wrong:

To move a large part which doesn't fit into a container, I would need to first do the following:

1. Attach a winch to the destination vehicle, close to where you want to attach it

2. Attaching a connector port to the part to be moved

3. Use the winch to connect to the part

4. Detach the part

5. Winch it in to the destination

6. Go to the destination

7. Attach the part

8. Detach the winch

7 & 8 are probably interchangable

This is not documented anywhere that I can see, and doesn't make any sense, compared to the way it used to be.

Don't get me wrong, I think the mods are fantastic, but these steps (maybe some examples suggested by people in this forum) would be useful.

So, putting myself forward, I'd be willing to compile a list of steps/videoes to demonstrate the various non-obvious ways of how to do things in these mods.

Any offers of examples/videos?

LGG

Steps:

1. disconnect the part. (This has to be done since if you add a connector part, you can't disconnect the part).

2. add the connector part to the part that needs to be moved.

2. use the winch to connect.

3. drag the part to its new location.

4. remove the winch.

5. remove the connector.

6. attach the part in its new location.

Hey, I was wondering, when I put the connector port onto a ship it lets me "link" and "unlink" the ship to another connector port. I know how to do this and what it does. But it also lets me "plug" and "unplug". I'm not sure what those are. Can somebody explain?

Hey, I was wondering, when I put the connector port onto a ship it lets me "link" and "unlink" the ship to another connector port. I know how to do this and what it does. But it also lets me "plug" and "unplug". I'm not sure what those are. Can somebody explain?

The plug and unplug options are for connecting winches.

I think this is a KAS and not a KIS because it happens with an IW-50 Winch. I noticed in my career mode, i got the winch but no parts to connect it to. So I was testing in sand box and found that when the head is out, you can't grab it with the "G" key. It says you need "Y" which does work, but conflicts a bit with NavHUD which also uses Y to turn off/on. Seems like the old KAS used Y? but hasn't been switched over yet to KIS standard yet?

The tech problem I see is I got the winch at science 90, but the first part that it can connect to seems to be the CC-R2 which is another node at science 160. this makes getting the winch at 90 useless until you unlock something to attach to. I do have CCT installed, but I don't see ether of these parts listed anyplace else in game.

So now there are less parts than used to be? Was always discouraged by the amount of those. Might give it a try for once.

Edited by Veeltch

I think this is a KAS and not a KIS because it happens with an IW-50 Winch. I noticed in my career mode, i got the winch but no parts to connect it to. So I was testing in sand box and found that when the head is out, you can't grab it with the "G" key. It says you need "Y" which does work, but conflicts a bit with NavHUD which also uses Y to turn off/on. Seems like the old KAS used Y? but hasn't been switched over yet to KIS standard yet?

Exactly. "Y" key is from the old KAS system. The idea is to use the grab key "G" in the future, but that will need a major overhaul of the winch module, so I postponed this update to KAS 0.6.

The tech problem I see is I got the winch at science 90, but the first part that it can connect to seems to be the CC-R2 which is another node at science 160. this makes getting the winch at 90 useless until you unlock something to attach to. I do have CCT installed, but I don't see ether of these parts listed anyplace else in game.

Thanks for your feedback. I will take a look.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok this mod may have its quirks and drive me nuts sometimes, but really it allows you to do the coolest stuff, just pulled my "rover" that i'm using for the elcano challenge up out of the water and onto the southern Ice Caps using a crane and a winch and managing it was the most satisfying thing ever:

http://imgur.com/a/RYx9A

seriously thank you for putting so much time and effort into this mod, it's a great deed you have done, and it's saved me taking a 1000km detour!

Ho my god ! This is beautiful !

I'm always impressed by the imagination of players :)

Keep posting things like this, we really like to see what you do with KAS !

Edit : Do you mind if I add one of your screenshots in our imgur album ?

I'm looking after some example use of KAS/KIS.

- - - Updated - - -

So now there are less parts than used to be? Was always discouraged by the amount of those. Might give it a try for once.

Some parts has been merged/removed yes.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree. Kis/Kas are some of the best mod for KSP at the moment, but sometimes, due to the tricky way the work, is difficult to understand if you fail doing something for your fault or for a bug. Surely there must be a best way.

I'm open to all suggestions to improve the mod or the user guide :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you.

I did read the guide, but some of it wasn't obvious.

Actually, I just looked again, the winch is not in the KIS manual at all.

Winn75 is working on a the KAS guide. Hopefully it will be released... soon :)

- - - Updated - - -

KospY - my KAS video is out! The 20th in the series. Thanks for your great mod and I hope this helps explain your mod to fans.

Nice review!

Do you mind if I add it to the main post on the thread?

Edited by KospY

Ho my god ! This is beautiful !

I'm always impressed by the imagination of players :)

Keep posting things like this, we really like to see what you do with KAS !

Edit : Do you mind if I add one of your screenshots in our imgur album ?

I'm looking after some example use of KAS/KIS.

/QUOTE]

thanks a lot! and of course, i'd be more than happy for you to use it :D

I have some plans for some other interesting things so if they come to fruition I'll post em on here!

Don't know if this is a problem with KER, RCS Build Aid, but it seems to be tied to KAS. Working on a craft in the VAB and have the oct center with 1 alk gen, 1 oxy, 2 hydro, 1 water, 1 science and 2 KIS containers. Trying to balance the craft and RCS Build Aid gives very different numbers from KER. I've tried moving the modules around, tried putting parts in the KIS containers for blance, but KER doesn't follow RCSBA.

It's been a while since I've used this; can pipes only be hooked up by Kerbals on EVA? I'd like to have an unmanned mining and refinery base with an unmanned tanker, but I'm not sure I'll be able to transfer fuel without a Kerbal involved.

It's been a while since I've used this; can pipes only be hooked up by Kerbals on EVA? I'd like to have an unmanned mining and refinery base with an unmanned tanker, but I'm not sure I'll be able to transfer fuel without a Kerbal involved.

Send an engineer. Send them home.

How do I carry items with the new version of KAS? I keep losing my items to space trying to juggle them as they float around :P

(not store in inventory, but attach bigger parts to kerbals like before)

How do I carry items with the new version of KAS? I keep losing my items to space trying to juggle them as they float around :P

(not store in inventory, but attach bigger parts to kerbals like before)

Like Pretender6 said, your Kerbal must be an engineer, and you need to have a Wrench or Electric Screwdriver in their inventory and equipped. Also, you gotta hold X to go into attach mode.

I've been adding lots of interesting things for my kerbals inventories, and noticed the ghetto blaster in your fun pack plays an I'm assuming fairly standard ogg file, I was wondering if it would be easy to change the config to play a randomly selected file, or even just incrementally go down a list.

I was thinking of all those Kevin Macleod tunes that pervade the KSP videos on youtube.

EDIT: Derp I posted in the wrong thread, Imagine getting KIS and KAS mixed up! XD

Edited by MarcAFK