[1.1.2] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.5.8

KospY

Like Pretender6 said, your Kerbal must be an engineer, and you need to have a Wrench or Electric Screwdriver in their inventory and equipped. Also, you gotta hold X to go into attach mode.

You misunderstand. I know how to attach and detach parts with the Inventory System. My question is, how do I attach a part to my kerbal's back to hike around with it, à la KAS in 0.90

You misunderstand. I know how to attach and detach parts with the Inventory System. My question is, how do I attach a part to my kerbal's back to hike around with it, à la KAS in 0.90

Open your Kerbals inventory, hold G and click and drag the part into it :)

Edited by Daishi

Hi!

I can't get struts to link with each other while on EVA. When I right click on a attached strut no menu pops up. (I'm using an Engineer with an equipped screwdriver)

I'm using the stock strut part since the old special part called "strut endpoint" seem to have been removed.

Hi!

I can't get struts to link with each other while on EVA. When I right click on a attached strut no menu pops up. (I'm using an Engineer with an equipped screwdriver)

I'm using the stock strut part since the old special part called "strut endpoint" seem to have been removed.

Look for CS-R2 Strut in the Utility tab. They should be there. Stock struts wont work.

Quick Question: I have a "recover from the surface of..." mission, and I'm trying to have a kerbal on EVA attach a winch to the object on the surface. Problem is, whenever I try to place a magnet, grappling hook, or other item on the side of the object, it just falls off. When I try to grab an object in the winch, it says "there is nothing to unplug".

It seems like a really basic question, but I've been looking for a while and can't find an answer. Thanks!

Open your Kerbals inventory, hold G and click and drag the part into it k_smiley.gif

We're going in circles here.

My original question:

How do I carry items with the new version of KAS? I keep losing my items to space trying to juggle them as they float around :P

(not store in inventory, but attach bigger parts to kerbals like before)

Doesn't anyone remember how the old grab part functionality worked before KIS?

KospY, if this functionality has been removed intentionally, can we at least get some kind of tether so that we can RCS around with parts? Thanks :)

Edited by Flukeshot

We're going in circles here.

My original question:

Doesn't anyone remember how the old grab part functionality worked before KIS?

KospY, if this functionality has been removed intentionally, can we at least get some kind of tether so that we can RCS around with parts? Thanks :)

I'm also searching for that function! I once had it happen with the X-Ray Diffraction Scanner from DMagics Science pack. I just dragged it in to my inventory and suddenly it was attached to the kerbals back. Maybe the parts need a special config to be attached to the back of the kerbal?

Wait, did I miss something? When I try to attach parts (to ground or to another craft) from EVA, they won't "weld"/stick D:

Old KAS part attachement have been updated to Kerbal inventory System.

To attach a part, your kerbal need to be a engineer and have a tool in you inventory (wrench or electrical screwdriver) and equip it.

To do that, you can right click on it in your inventory or use the keyboard shortcut (1-8).

You can now attach part by pressing (and holding) "X" key when you are in "place mode" (= the part you want to place is green).

I'll work on a new KAS user guide next week (I planned to do it earlier but I had to finish some freelance work first ;) ).

is there any crew tube part? like the MKS flex-o-tube but more stockalike? it would be better than sending structural fuselages to connect bases modules, and would look cooler

No (not yet). You can transfer your crew through pipes thouth.

Edited by winn75

I'm missing parts in the most recent release. I've unlocked the winch but there's nothing to connect it to. There are no pipe parts either, so as far as I can see, I can't connect/transfer resources between my ships with...anything in this mod. Inventory works fine, but the parts I installed the mod for are missing from the unlock tree.

There isn't even a "connector" or "pipe" end in my parts folder which leads me to believe they're integrated into something else? What am I missing?

This is likely another stock bug, but I find kerbals do a VERY poor job of hanging on when EVA in orbit. They drift up/down the latter past the edge and float off or just plane seem to let go and start floating away. Makes it a pain to attach/remove more then one part because you have to keep re-attaching the kerbal to the craft.

Hi

just downloaded and installed KIS and KAS (present versions).

Testing it with a rover and a SC-62 Container, I try for example to use a CS-RC2-Strut.

How does the astronaut "grab" or use it? All I can do is click and drag stuff from the container and "drop" it somewhere. How can I get the Kerbal to use it?

I did not find any useful youtube tutorials. Most of them show pop-up menus to click and use items but it does not show with my installation...

Any help is welcome

A couple of things about KIS/KAS that don't necessarily leap to the eye:

- It matters what class you are. I think only engineers can mount/unmount things.

- It takes tools to mount/unmount things (e.g. wrench, power drill). To equip, right-click on the item in your kerbal's inventory and choose "equip". You'll see the tool in your kerbal's hand.

- To attach something rather than just drop it loosely on the surface, first equip the proper tool, then hold down the "X" key before you drop. (This will turn your mouse cursor into an "attach" cursor.) To unattach something that's attached, hold the "G" key before grabbing.

There's a handy PDF user guide that comes with the mod; try rummaging through the mod's directories to find it.

This is likely another stock bug, but I find kerbals do a VERY poor job of hanging on when EVA in orbit. They drift up/down the latter past the edge and float off or just plane seem to let go and start floating away. Makes it a pain to attach/remove more then one part because you have to keep re-attaching the kerbal to the craft.

Yep, that's a stock thing, AFAIK. It's been that way for a while.

Hi everyone,

I dont have the courage for read all post but have a question.

Strut of kas doesn't work in VAB and in space, anyone have this bug too ?

I cant attach the strut to any part, no problem with other part of KAS.

Hi everyone,

I dont have the courage for read all post but have a question.

Strut of kas doesn't work in VAB and in space, anyone have this bug too ?

I cant attach the strut to any part, no problem with other part of KAS.

Do you have KIS installed?

@kospy

Will there be a way to "grapple" or "grab" an object in space or the ground with kerbals so you can EVA the parts around? One thing I noticed is that if you have a large part in space, keeping kerbals near enough to that part without them drifting away is a big problem. If they could grab the part in some way they'd be able to help better with moving it without drifting away.

Is there any way to surface attach parts that are not normally surface attachable?

Whenever I place a connector port on an object and link it to another ship then time warp with the parts connected the connector port appears to "slide off" then when the time warp stops it sometimes snaps back but if you time warp again while its in motion it will stay "slid off" and you can't grab it with an engineer to unattach it because it says that other parts are attached to it.

Lastly whenever I put down a ground pylon and put a strut part on it I cannot attach another strut part from another vehicle to it. For example, I have a base that likes to bounce around after time warping. I was going to use the strut and pylon to "cement it" to the ground. Like an anchor. It keeps telling me that I cannot strut to other vehicles. I also tried using a connector port but whenever I time warp the pipe just breaks.